• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The emperor won't lift a finger, he's merely putting on a show of authority. We're safe to ignore his demand. Besides, what was the purpose of our conquest if we intended to give it up?

((Given in to the Emperor's demands: No))

Name: Johannes (Hans) Fischer

Birth-Date: 30th of January 1417

Religion: Catholicism

Biography:

Over 100 years ago, in times where plagues haunted Europe, a bondsman took all his belongings, his homestead, his wife and child, and went from the small village of Niendorf to the big city Lübeck. He had heard that everyone who was willing to work hard could be c
ome a citizen and would be free from his former overlord. With his last coins he purchased a small boat and the necessary equipement to row out into the Bay of Lübeck everynight and catch fish, hoping to make a living for himself and his small family.

Charles_Napier_Hemy_-_The_Fisherman_1888.jpg

Johannes' great-great grandfather in his first fishing boat.

Over the decades, through hard work, smart investement and a bit of luck the family could expand upon this first vessel and aquire more boats and some day even a small tradingship to sell their fish not only in Lübeck but also in other northgerman cities. Pretty soon they got called the "Fischers", at first meant as an insult against the upcoming newly rich family, but quickly established as a famliy name, honouring the roots from which they came.

271L12036_6L7SF_reshoot.jpg

The "fleet" of ships the Fischer family called their own, some small fishing boats and a trading vessel.

Their influence, wealth and power ever expanding the Fischer family became part of the so called "Zirkelgesellschaft" ((maybe "Compass society" in english)) a consolidation of Lübecks richest merchants and patricians. Their rise to the highest ranks of society, becoming patricians, was halted by the established Lübecker families.

Gottschalk_von_Wickede.jpg

Rudolph Fischer, Johanes' grandfather, member of the Zirkelgesellschaft, with it's sign in his right hand

With the recent bancrupcy and fall of one of the patrician families - the von Grasswelders - the time for the Fischers had come. As the wealthiest and most powerful of the upcoming houses and they filled the gap that was waiting for them. Long have they lived like nobility in a grand mansion, with silken clothing and golden rings, but now they have achieved what many only dreamed of - the final step into nobility.
They Fischers are not too well liked by the other patricians, as they are newly rich upcomers, and this fast rise to power and wealth has made some of them soft. Luckily the Haas and Warendorfs fight with each other and make room for the Fischers to search for their own rise to the seat of the Statthalter.

Portrait-of-a-Young-Man-1530s-Bronzino.jpg

Johannes Fischer, a new noble in second generation.

Johannes Fischer is the oldest son and heir of the family business. His old father Franz Fischer, the man under which the family became noble, was a sickly man and most of the work was allready in Johannes' hands when he died an untimely death. Johannes was well prepared: It's family tradition that the oldest son learns how to fish with his own hands, to keep the future head of the family with both his feet on the ground. He was also taught how to use money to his advantage, when to buy, when to sell and when to bribe. And lastly he was given the small silver ring of his great grandfather, the family heirloom that is said to bring the new head of the Fischers luck.
This all to teach the next leader of the family business, that only through hard work, smart investement and a bit of luck the family could prevail.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Ivar stood at the docks of Riga, watching the Bergenshus and Knot Stor sail into the Bay of Riga. Both of them contained a letter, both were heading for Lübeck, yet one destined for the Stadrat and the other for Herr Haas. Following his recent conversations with him it seemed like he would soon be returning to Lübeck as well.

Honoured members of the Stadrat,
It pains me to be absent at this convention, as there is nothing more that I desire than taking part in our wonderful Republican system. Yet as one of the Lübecker merchant, I know that my vote is needed in the Stadrat. Therefor, I have the following to say;

It is an absolute ridiculous request that the Emperor has sent us. It is nearly as hypocritical as it is stupid. If Friedrich is unable to keep states like Lauenburg from interrupting trade between peaceful cities and honest merchants, then he shouldn't complain when those cities and merchants take matters into their own hands. Our Emperor is holding up a facade, and it is painfully obvious. He does not give a rats ass about Saxe-Lauenburg, about the Askaniers or about us. He is merely pretending to be an honest protector of the realm, whilst such a act could not be further from the truth.

The salt trade is vital to merchants like me. Friedrich is either unaware of this or is uninterested in this. Either way, in is not the behaviour I would like to see in an Emperor. My two votes reject the stupendous offer from the Austrian Emperor.

God Dag, Herr Haas

I have recieved your previous letter, and I am thrilled to hear that Julia and Alfred are so fond of each other. As for the wedding, the Lübeck Cathedral seems like a wonderful place to see our two beloved ones marry. Once I've finished off a couple of my negotiations here in Riga, I shall head for Lübeck myself, to help organize the wedding. Please do not assume you'll have to pay for the wedding on your own. This marriage will be between our two families, so both of our families will contribute. The date, number of guests and soforth, can be discussed once I'm back home in Lübeck.

Yours Truly,
Ivar Lovdal

((At the Stadtrat meeting))

Xaver saw the need to counter the arguments brought up by diplomat Dreyfus whom so far was the most vocal supporter of returning Lauenburg to the Askaniers.

"Mr. Dreyfus, could the solution not simply be to appease the Emperor by improving relations with him while still keeping Lauenburg? If we give up Lauenburg then the dead more than 1.300 Lübeckians during the battle and the siege were for nothing. Should the Danes attack us and the Emperor refuses to protect us then we must rely on our defensive pact with the other members of the League. If Friedrich were not to honor our call to arms in case of an attack then this would cause great turmoil in the empire, don't you agree?"

Lübeck 1446

Johannes Fischer was leaning back in his high, comfortable, for him personally made chair. He would've loved to put his feet on the table, close his eyes and let the old men discuss these sooo important matters of state.
There was only one issue brought to the Rats attention, how to respond to the Emperors demand to return Lauenburg back into the hands of Bernhard III. Johannes didn't understand what was even to discuss about this. The decision to attack and conquer Lauenburg has been made, even if he himself didn't think that it was necessary. The trade routes to Lüneburg have been secured and the Askaniers who had seeked to weaken Lübeck for over 40 years now have been put out of power.
Even if he didn't see a use to involve himself in the debate, as a patrician he was expected to speak in the Stadtrat meetings and so Johannes cleared his throat, sat up straight and said:

"Gentlemen, I am not completely sure what we are debating here. Do you really fear the wrath of the Emperor? What is he able to do? He is far away, his power in the north is weak, he has to be concerned with a strengthening France in the West, with those rebellious Italians and the Pope in the South. Do you really think he will send troops here to force us to return Lauenburg? Just send him one of our Diplomats together with a small chest of silver and make him understand that he needs the rich merchant cities to finance his reign.
And if this is all, I think we have discussed this matter enough, I am sure everyone of us has important business to attend to."

With these words Johannes leaned back again, waved one of the servants to refill his cup with cooled wine, and closed his eyes while he tasted the rich red in his mouth.

((Give in to the Emperor's demands and return Saxe-Lauenburg to House Askanier: No))

Lübeck 1446

Klaus had quite the dilemma before him in choosing his vote in the Stadtrat meeting. The Holy Roman Emperor was crowned by the Pope and therefore he was chosen by God, but to advocate in favour of him would only worsen relations between the Teutonic Order and the merchant republic. A third option lay before him, he could abstain, declaring that the foreign affairs of Lübeck were not the business of the order. The problem with such a course of action was that failure to act in the emperor's favour could be considered just as evil as advocating against him.

He had a choice between God in the order and God in the Emperor. Ultimately, he had sworn his oath to the order. He remembered the words of his oath: "obedience to God and the Blessed Virgin Mary and to you, Brother". His loyalty was to the Order, not the emperor.

"The foreign affairs of the Merchant Republic are not the concern of the church so I will abstain from this vote".

((Give in to the Emperor's demands and return Saxe-Lauenburg to House Askanier: Abstain))

During the meeting of the Stadtrat, most speakers had already voiced their opinion, when Hendrik van Buren stood up from his seat. He had listened to the boring speech of Friedrich Haas before he walked over to Statthalter von Warendorf. The Dutchman was sweating and seemed nervous as he approached von Warendorf.

Xaver: “Mr. van Buren, are you alright? You don’t look so good. Shall we go to my office for a moment?”

Hendrik: “Sorry, I am a bit sick. I think it’s better if I take off a couple minutes away from the chaos of the stadtrat. I think your office is a good place to take some rest and talk a bit.”

Xaver and Hendrik quietly left the hall and headed to the Statthalter’s office.

Xaver: “I’d offer you wine but it might not be too good for you in your current state. Maybe water? Tell me what’s the trouble?”

Hendrik: “I would like some water yes. My sickness is not so severe. I just need a couple days of rest, maybe a week. But I went to the Stadtrat to vote as that is more important.”

A cupbearer purred some water into both glasses.

Xaver: “You are a dutiful man, putting the country before your own well-being. What do you think about the debate? Any speeches you particularly liked or disliked?” Xaver grabbed his glass and enjoyed some cold water. In order to not disrespect his guest he did not choose wine.

Hendrik took a sip of his water. “Really, none of the speeches were particularly outstanding. If I really had to choose, I would say that the speech by Friedrich Haas was the worst one. He could easily have taken the points I made, about the money and prestige, and added it to his speech, but I am disappointed he didn’t even do that. I expected more of the man.”

The Statthalter was amused that he was not the only one who disliked the Haas family although he was a flattered that Friedrich had praised him during his speech.

Xaver: “I can see why you did not like it. With speech skills like these you cannot win an election. I do not fear his competition at all. Tell me, how do you evaluate his chances if we had an early election - of course I hope it doesn’t come to that.”

Hendrik: “I would give him a small chance of winning. Your re-election is almost guaranteed, unless Haas has a lot of unknown connections in the stadtrat.” Hendrik took another sip of his water.

Xaver: “Thank you for your honest opinion. I think with you on my side the city’s economy will flourish. We should not let the Haas or Fischers meddle with the city’s affairs. Maybe a network of trusted spies to supervise them should be built. Depending how you feel we can postpone this discussion to another day though, seeing as you are sick today.” He did not know how sick his ally was and so he left it up to him to decide whether to continue this discussion now or later.

Hendrik: “I would rather have this discussion now, so we can get the network up as soon as possible. I suspect the meeting of the Stadtrat will take another couple hours, and I was planning to stay until the end.”

Xaver: “Excellent! I feel we should gain the full support of the Teutons who I gave land to build houses outside the city walls. Last I heard their recruitment isn’t going so well. Nobody would expect clergymen as spies. Could you establish a connection with Klaus von Mainz and his faithful men?”

Hendrik: “I suspect it would not be too hard to do. I got a good standing with the clergy of the city, so Klaus von Mainz shouldn’t be hard to get on our side.” Hendrik took a sip of his water.

Xaver smiled. Having chosen Hendrik as Master of Coin seemed to have been one of his good calls.

Xaver: “That’s great. I count on you then. If you need some coin to convince him or if he wants to loosen the strict treaty between the Teutonic Order and Lübeck then do not hesitate to get back to me. I am willing to do my part here.”

Hendrik: “Are there any other people I should try to get to our side? It might be worth it to get the Jew, ben Mendel was it? On our side. Getting the Jewish community on our side might prove valuable.”

Xaver: “I would be surprised it the Jewish citizens among us would not support my House. After all, I ensured that they can live without persecution here in Lübeck. ben Mendel is working as League Merchant here in the city. Go talk to him and see where he stands in all of this. If you observe something fishy then we must act.”

Hendrik: “About things that are fishy… I find it fishy that these mercenaries outside our walls are still there. If they can’t find work here, why would they not go to other lands to find work? Maybe we should send some people to investigate what’s going on there.”

Xaver: “Aye, I don’t know why they are still here. I’ll have two of our spies sneak into their camp at night to find out what’s going on there.”

((The success of the spies’ mission will be determined by RNG.))

Hendrik: “Sounds like a good plan. It seems really fishy that they are still here, there must be something going on, I don’t trust it a bit. Any other things I could do for you?” Hendrik finishes his glass of water.

Xaver: “No. That’d be all for now. Thank you for your service. I should go back to the Stadtrat meeting in order to not raise suspicion. I hope you get well soon. If you need anything let me know.”

Xaver walked back to the hall in which the Stadtrat was convening and his guest walked outside for a couple minutes and joined the meeting later again.

((Joint-IC between @delpiero1234 and me.))

Reactions:
((10 days after the meeting of the Stadtrat))

Over a week after the meeting of the Stadtrat, Hendrik felt a lot better, and got to work immediatly. He had 2 letters to write.

Sir Klaus von Mainz, Knight and Landkomtur of the Teutonic Order,

Could we have a meeting between us two soon, about important matters involving the Teutonic Order and the city state of Lübeck.

May God bless you, and may the Order protect the followers of God,

Hendrik van Buren, Master of Coin of the Republic of Lübeck.

Schmuel ben Mendel, merchant of Lübeck,

Can we have a short meeting about how your trade is going, and other matters, as soon as possible.

May your mission go well,

After he send the letters, he decided to go onto the city market, to see how trade was doing. He saw a merchant, and asked him where the goods came from. "I got these goods in Mecklenburg and East Frisia sir." - the man replied. Hendrik went back to his office and looked through the archives, and read for about an hour, finding out that there were no embargoes on Eastern-Frisia and Mecklenburg. He would have to rectify this mistake.

Van Buren's EDITED Economic Plan of 1446

1. The amount of money spend on the army shall not change, however, when Lübeck finds itself in a war, offensive or defensive, we shall increase it to the maximum affordable.

2. The amount of money being spend on the navy shall not change.

3. Over the coming years, the Lübecker fleet shall be expanded by 4 brand-new barques.'

4. The Republic of Lübeck shall embargo the Princedoms of Eastern-Frisia and Mecklenburg.

He added to the plan a note on why he added the part about the embargoes, stating that: "Although Merchants working for the Republic of Lübeck do no trade with the Mecklenburgers and Eastern-Frisians, I have noted that there are smaller, independent merchants contributing to the wealth of our rivals. This is why, I officially announce a ban on all goods from Eastern-Frisia and Mecklenburg, and any merchant breaking this ban shall be punished by the extent of the law. Thank you for reading this important announcement."

Last edited:
Lübeck 1446
((before the Stadtrat meeting))

It was a rainy november day in which Johannes Fischer made his way from his mansion over to the Kontor. He grumbled under his hood, complaining about the weather, his feet that started to get wet and most of all about his brother Markus who had called for him. "What kind of business is so important that I need to come myself" Johannes thought to himself. He hoped his little brother hadn't send a messenger because of some little shortage in some delivery.

Johannes walked in through the main gate of the Kontor, past some carriages laden with barrels full with salt, that have just arrived from Lüneburg. Now, after the victory over the Askarier, the roads were save again and the salt trade flew again to Lübeck in it's known ease. Some men were unloading the casks and rolled them into one of the adjacent warehouses. One man counted every barrel and noted it on a sheet of paper. Johannes expected to see his brother supervising the arrival of this important and expensive delivery but Markus wasn't seen anywhere.
After coming into the main building of the Kontor, Johannes took of his coat, pressed it into the hand of some servant that was walking past him with the order to hang it up to dry somewhere. He went up the stairs to the second floor, burst into the main office and said:
"What am I doing here? Why did you call for me?"

Markus looked up from his work, deep sunken into some papers, a servant to his side who held another pile. "I called for you to take a look on this." With these words Markus handed Johannes a sheet of parchment, described with big, swung letters.

"What is this?" Johannes asked still upset, and started reading.

"It's a letter from the monastery where father sent Christian after his fathers dead. They write that he is 16 years now and we have to make the decision if he shall enter the order or not."

Johannes seated himself in one of the chairs opposed to his brother. He tried to remember the face of his cousin, a small boy, his mother had died when she gave birth to him, his father some years later. With four years he was sent to the Mary-Magdalene-Monastery in Lübeck to be educated and to become a priest some day. Now the time has come and maybe the decision Johannes' father had made 12 years ago could be altered here.

"A clergyman in the family couldn't do harm, I think. We should answer the abbot and let him know that Christian is to become part of the Dominican Order and that he shall take his vows Easter next year."

"I'll write him" Markus answered "Do you think that we should accompany our letter with a small gift for the monastery? I thought about some barrels of salted fish and maybe some candles for the church."

"Yes, yes, this is a good idea. Make the monks happy and god for what it's worth. He should be happy that we give one of us to him for lifetime service." Johannes stood up again. "Was this all brother? I have a Stadtrat meeting to attend and I guess it's going to be boring to hell." He grinned tiredly.

"Then I don't want to let you wait." Markus replied, smiling to his older brother. "Go and make the family proud."

Johannes punched him on the shoulder, chuckled and left the room. He called for a servant to bring him his coat back and make a horse ready. He could walk to his kontor, but at the Rathaus he had to arrive like the patrician that he was.

Reactions:
Catch Me If You Can
At the camp of La Forza Del Ravenna
It was dark, about ten or eleven o'clock, when the two Lübeckian spies sneaked into camp of La Forza Del Ravenna. Their task was simply, yet dangerous: Find out what the mercenaries are planing. The statthalter and his Master of Coin did not trust those men who had been camping near Lübeck for almost two years now. The site of the camp was huge and the spies got lost right away. Ferdinand Stolz and Josef Hase split up and went eavesdropping around the camp. Both were dressed as light infantrymen to raise as little suspicion as possible.

MLde60F.jpg

Hase and Stolz blended in well with the mercenaries.

Stolz spotted a group of men sitting around a camp fire who were drinking and singing. He listened to the group for half an hour but got no valuable information. Then he moved on but finding the tent of the Black Knight proved difficulty with limited sight. Stolz sneaked around the camp but all the larger tents were well-guarded and there was no way in getting in uncaught. La Forza Del Ravenna certainly knew what it was doing.

At the same time, Josef Hase was looking for a ranked officer with the intention of kidnapping him. Chances were that a common soldier might not know anything about the company's next move and so Hase focuses on officers, preferably drunk and alone. None of the drunkards met this criteria though and after a couple of hours he met with Ferdinand Stolz again at the agreed location outside the camp. The mission did not go that well as both spies were unable to find out any valuable information. Disappointed, they returned home to Lübeck.

((In case it is not clear, the RNG results for the spy mission determined that the spies found out nothing of value but remained undiscovered.))

Of course, how about Monday?

Schmuel ben Mendel, merchant of Lübeck.

"The scouts have returned, we're nearing the city. Over that hill and we should see Lubeck and La Forza's camp"

"Excellent. And how many men does this this black knight command?"

"Anywhere from 6-8 full regiments, from what we've gathered."

Frederico had brought four regiments, 1 pikes and one cavalry. "Are they aware of our presence?

"Not at the moment, but it'd be unthinkable to hide four thousand men so close"

Frederico looked around, the forest here was dense, despite the cleared farm land around the city. With a miracle, it might be possible to remain hidden atop the hill and in the trees
"We make camp over there. With any luck they won't be paying attention, make sure the men burn small fires. Either way, we'll have the high ground, and sandwich them between my father's army and our own."

"We should have brought archers. I'll see to it."

((Requesting rolls on remaining hidden from La Forza))​

Lubeck Barracks, 1446

"Come to retire as well, Allesandro?" Cadorna's old friend, Allesandro, head of "
Il corp ombra", the scouts in his company, had snuck into into his office

"Not today, at least. I've some information you might want to know about the La Forza encampment"

"Did my son send you?"

"He came himself. See that hill in the distance?" Allesandro pointed out the window "Your son managed to hide 4000 soldiers up there. But let's get to the point. The black knight's been sending out for more mercenaries to join with him, and has yet to make any movement towards France. We think the Emperor may given him an offer"

Cadorna smiled "Well, I'll be. I'll inform the statthalter and prepare to sally out, tell Frederico to be ready to charge"

"Be seeing you, friend" Allesandro slipped out the window, and made his way out the city.

Mr. von Warendorf,
I have received word from my old company that La Forza is indeed preparing an attack. Luckily they did not sent a mere warning, they also sent men. I am already making the preparations for the cities defense.

Best of luck, Giovanni Cadorna

((RNG favoured Frederico's stealthiness))

((PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIVATE!))

Sebastian
pondered over his plans, those he meticulously crafted after many hard hours. The Emperor had ignore their pleas and even denied their help, supports Lubeck, which was a shame. He needed those men, but he had the mercenaries at least. He stood up in front of his friends, comrades in wars and battles. We will be heading south. He pointed towards a small lake, south of an isthmus."We shall be going here, at Ratzeburg."

"Why?"

"To trap them. We shall be heading south, make it seem like we are heading else where, I don't doubt that our recruitment has gone without subsection."

They all left and gave orders to their men to head south.

((Joint-IC with @Duke Dan "the Man", thanks to him))

Friedrich was waiting for a visitor. He had invited Sebastian, also known as Black Knight, to visit him in his mansion. He was waiting in the sitting room, reading a book for entertainment. Hopefully the visitor will arrive soon.

Friedrich read about 15 pages of his book, when he heard people coming. He looked up and saw his servant opening the door for a visitor.

Friedrich: “You must be the Black Knight, Sebastian.” Friedrich stood up and shake Sebastian’s hand “It is good to finally see you.”

The Black Knight was startled, he was in the middle of his thoughts about what to do, he almost blurted it out to him. He put on a smile, “Greeting sir. May I enter?”

Friedrich laughed “But of course. Do you want anything to drink?”

He entered the fine mansion, he noticed a book on a chair near some fire, “Aye, may I get some whiskey? But anything will honestly do.”

“Only best for my guests.” Friedrich said. “Elise, go get Sebastian some whiskey. I will take wine, thank you.” The servant left and the two gentlemen sat down.

Sebastian eyed the young lady as she left, something about her reminded him of something. Of Carlot's mother, but she much too old for it to be her. He waited with him, “Sir, what is the book?”

“This book?” Friedrich picked it up “Oh, it tells about some of the ancient myths. It is actually really interesting.”

“Mind if I take a look?”

“Of course not.” Friedrich gave the book to Sebastian, who opened it, taking a quick look.

“Interesting, always I prefer philosophy myself.”

“Oh, I have couple of books about philosophy too. They are kinda interesting as well. Maybe you want to take one, and read it?”

“No. I have business to attend to, I would want to read more but I am quite busy. Where is your son, or cousin or whatever the relation is to you? I didn’t come here for pleasantries alone.”

“Oh yeah, my cousin, Alfred. He wanted to join the army of Lübeck. But as the Statthalter doesn’t like our family, he didn’t let Alfred join. So, we thought maybe he could join your mercenary company. He is a rather good fighter.” Just after Friedrich finished his sentence, the servant came in with the drinks. Friedrich said to her “Can you also get Alfred here?” The servant simply nodded.

Sevastian stood up, “You.” He pointed at the young lady, “ Tell him to go there.” He pointed at an outside area. “I’ll need to test him. See how far along is he.” He stood up, walked towards the area, whiskey in hand.

Friedrich followed his guest “So, you going to test him?” He forgot his drink as they left the room so quickly.

“Aye.” He kept walking.

They soon arrived at the outdoors area. The servant and Alfred came after them. Alfred shaked Sebastian’s hand “So, you are the Black Knight I have heard of?”

Sebastian throw a sword at him, “Here.” He got in his usual fighting position. “We will be sparring”

Alfred was little surprised about what just happened, but he was ready. He was always ready to fight. “Shall we begin?”

“Aye.” He readied himself, in a defensive position.”Ladies first my friend.”

“So you can make the first swing.” Alfred responded.

He chuckled, “I am only being polite, but please, you heard what I said.”

“How you want.” Alfred made his first swing, but Sebastian blocked it, and kicked him, while he was defenseless, to the ground like a Spartan. He put his sword near his neck. “Well played my friend.”

Alfred got up. He was little impressed by Sebastian’s skills. “You sure are a good fighter.”

“Good is a horrible word in my book. I’d rather be great. C’mon! Again!” He put himself in his same position.

Alfred swinged his sword once again, and Sebastian blocked it once more. He maneuvered himself under his enemies arm, and put it in a submission. “Does this feel nice?’” He tightened it, seeing immense pain from Alfred, who just smiled “Not really.” Sebastian tightened it more, “Now?”

“Okay! It hurts.” Alfred had to admit it. The pain was too much for him.

He let go, “You will be training under Montferrat. Come to the camp, and I sent for you. This is an order.” Sebastian turned around and walked away in the direction of the city, where he was needed at some whorehouse. He needed to relieve some stress.

“What a strange man” Alfred said to Friedrich. He nodded…

Last edited:
Hermann Baasch sat in his office sipping from a silver goblet; before him was ink, papers and a candle for light. The moon was full but little of its light shone through the window, its light was blocked behind cloud and the dust and smoke of the city. His quill scrapped roughly as he makes notes in his ledgers. An assistant arrived with supper; smoked fish in a cream sauce with some stewed vegetables mixed into it.

"Supper master, I hope the books are full of good news."

"Good news? Hmm, War is not normally good news. Our bonds do not cover losses to war and so traders will either keep to port or send their ships away to other ports. As such income from bonds is much diminished. However in my wisdom I have begun to trade in currency. With the soldiers and sailors brought to us from war I am making back these losses with interest. Look, behold! A collection of Italian coins, Dutch and coins from the empire. Even some English silver pounds. I brought them cheaply from the soldiers and sailors in exchange for local currency. When this is over I shall sell it back to the traders and the mercenaries and make a second time on the exchange, I sail like a ship on the tides; in and out.

It is time to see if this republic can do some good for me and by extension the rest of the city, the Hansa and their people. Take this letter to the Statthalter and leave my Supper to cool by the window. I prefer my sustenance to be cold.

Sir,

In the south the defacto currency that dominates trade is the ducat of Venice. In the east it is the gold of Byzantium. In Iberia it is the coins of the Moors. Yet in our part of creation each component strikes its own coinage and these small quantities are unstable and open to attack and devaluation from the whims of events. Just look at the value of Laurenberg coins right now and ask yourself what will happen if we are ever placed under blockade. The life blood of this city is trade and buying; investment and bonds and we need a strong currency. I write to urge you to conciser issuing a law which will require all of our domestic traders and merchants to use our own currency for all deals. This will be the start of a further policy to strengthen the value of our currency and spread it to further lands as the defacto coin of the Northern empire. You could then hold the whip hand over trade in other nations bringing with it influence and more commerce into our own ports. With wise management we could become the Venice of the north.

I look for support in such policy from you and your master of coin and I hope at the very least you will hear my arguments.

Your loyal servent

Hermaan Baasch

(Historical note - In the empire every single prince could and did make their own coins. As the empire progressed it slowly but never completely centralized its mints but some of the lesser states kept the right to strike coins but used the Austrian currency. This early however it is likely most of the HRE would hold its own currency)

Reactions:
Friedrich was in his office. He was planning the wedding of Alfred and Julia. The first thing to do was to write and send the invitations. Friedrich invited many important people, but also some of his friends who were not as rich or powerful.

Good sir/madam.

I, Friedrich Haas, invite you to the wedding of my cousin, Alfred, and the daughter of Ivar Lovdal, Julia.

The Wedding will be held in June of 1447, in the Cathedral of Lübeck. I hope we will meet there.

Yours Truly
Friedrich Haas
The Head of Haas Family

Everybody got the same invitation, expect Xaver von Warendorf. Friedrich wanted to write him a personal letter.

Good Statthalter Xaver von Warendorf

I know our families have had feud in the past, and that you don't want to forget it so easily.
But I want to see our families work together for the better future of Lübeck. By working together we could help each other in the time of need. It would be the best for both of us.

But if you don't really want to work together, please, at least forget the past feud. Why do you want to live in hate?

I also wanted to invite you to the wedding of my cousin, Alfred, and the daughter of Ivar Lovdal, Julia. The Wedding will be held in June of 1447, in the Cathedral of Lübeck. I hope we will meet there.
If you don't want to come to the wedding because of me or my family, please, come for Ivar Lovdal.

Yours Truly
Friedrich Haas

((Every player got the same invitation, expect @delpiero1234))

Reactions:
((Historical note @Lexgrad - Lübeck had the strongest currency in the northern HRE. Lübeck, nearly all other Hanseatic Cities and many cities in north german principalities and duchies (f.e. Pommerania, Lüneburg, Holstein...) used the same coinage since 1379. They united in the so called Wendisch Coinage Union and had coins with the same weight and amount of precious metals. Since 1433 the Lübecker Schilling (or other silver coins with a different name but the same weight and amount of precious metal) was used all around northern germany.
We aren't in the dark ages anymore in the time of the game, in the mid of the 15th century many of the important trading cities are in such coinage unions. It is of course possible to speculate on foreign currency but if we want to stay true to history - and I hope we do atleast until 1444 - then your request doesn't quite fit.))

Reactions:
Heinrich excepted gladly the invitation from Friedrich Haas. Some weeks in London helped him to build up a bigger network from connections.
((Sorry dudes but in the next 3-4 weeks my content wont be that much. My Grandpa died and i'm thinking of many different things. Sorry:())