Hansa Unification Needs to be Looked At

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

quinntan2222

Second Lieutenant
64 Badges
Feb 26, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
I recently played a game as Luebeck, playing through the missions and expanding the trade league. I hadn't played merchant republics very often, and Luebeck seemed like it would be fun with it's new mission tree along with the numerous new tags in the Holy Roman Empire that could be added to the trade league. Adding members to my league was one of my primary goals, it offered a means to get more trade power in the internal nodes without having to militarily expand.

However, as I finished my missions I knew there was now the option to unite the league. I was excited for this, as it said that I would get to vassalize the league I worked to build. Given the situation I foresaw happening, I had hoped there would be some mechanic that would allow me to handle having so many vassals. Something in line with what happens after you pass the Revoke the Privileglia imperial reform, where you get to have your vassals for free and their liberty desire based on only their own power. This however was not what happened. Rather, you get a single diplomatic relations slot to handle your new vassal league. If you had spent any time building your league, it should be obvious that this is not enough.

236850_screenshots_20200614232405_1.jpg

As it currently stands, if you want to unite your league, you would be forced to dismantle your trade league to have even a chance of managing the vassals that come from the unification mission. This seems counter-intuitive and anti-climactic. Not to mention that the vassals are no longer part of the league, and so no longer transfer their trade to you, which hurts your income as a trade nation.

A simple solution to this would be to give an event for each city that has the potential to be vassalized, giving you the option to vassalize it or keep it in your trade league. This would prevent the above situation and make the Hanseatic unification possible without crippling your income or nation. If more effort were to be put into it, I would love to see the unification as an event more similar to the Revoke the Privlegia reform. Make each city decide to join based off of opinion and the total trade power Luebeck has in the city's home node. If the city decides to join, it becomes a vassal that cannot be granted additional land but costs no diplomatic slot and bases it's independence desire only on it's own power. As this would make the unification more powerful, it might be suitable to add missions requiring Luebeck to take Danzig and Koenigsberg, as they are both important cities to the Hanseatic League and it would force Luebeck to fight at least a fourth major power.

The Hansa have been one of my favorite nations since EU3, and I hope this issue gets resolved so the unification of the Hanseatic League feels like a goal worth striving for.

• 5Like
Reactions:
It doesn't seem like the devs go back and change/balance dlc-specific features often. Emperor is still relatively new so there is still a chance. Mare Nostrum (DLC for merchant republics) is old though, and since this feature would only be available to someone who owns both Emperor and Mare Nostrum, I'm not very confident it will be looked at, considering the core Merchant Republic mechanic have not changed at all since release (other than to make them work with the new changes in the game), even though many of their unique strengths are no longer relevant or straight out removed (i.e., goods modifier bonus in owned provinces).

Hopefully, if and when they add dipslots specific for subjects (i feel this may be just a matter of time) then they will remember to also add it to this mission.

It doesn't seem like the devs go back and change/balance dlc-specific features often. Emperor is still relatively new so there is still a chance. Mare Nostrum (DLC for merchant republics) is old though, and since this feature would only be available to someone who owns both Emperor and Mare Nostrum, I'm not very confident it will be looked at, considering the core Merchant Republic mechanic have not changed at all since release (other than to make them work with the new changes in the game), even though many of their unique strengths are no longer relevant or straight out removed (i.e., goods modifier bonus in owned provinces).

Hopefully, if and when they add dipslots specific for subjects (i feel this may be just a matter of time) then they will remember to also add it to this mission.
We have an optimist here ;) I also hope they add vassals specific slots and maybe make this specific vassals like revoke privilegia ones so every one of them is counted separately and unlike those DON'T fuck up your other vassals LOL that would be nice. But i have pretty low hopes on that happening. But maybe in EU 7?

Reactions:
It isn't like the player has no options in this case like certain other bugs. It does what it says on the tin so the player can plan for it. I would keep all the vassals personally but you could temporarily kick them out and then reinvite them after the mission.

Banners got rebalanced with Manchu patch. It's unlikely but still a hope

We have an optimist here ;) I also hope they add vassals specific slots and maybe make this specific vassals like revoke privilegia ones so every one of them is counted separately and unlike those DON'T fuck up your other vassals LOL that would be nice. But i have pretty low hopes on that happening. But maybe in EU 7?
Strong duchies just told the player to always get 2 vassals as then you get an extra dip slot. I'd just like it where vassals that are 1/10th and below of dev don't count for dip upkeep or something. Like how marches need to be a certain size smaller than overlord to get bonuses

Strong duchies just told the player to always get 2 vassals as then you get an extra dip slot. I'd just like it where vassals that are 1/10th and below of dev don't count for dip upkeep or something. Like how marches need to be a certain size smaller than overlord to get bonuses
That could work and actually be logical. It always bogged my mind how it takes the same slot(CORRESPONDING TO THE SAME AMMOUNT OF EFFORT) to maintain relations with an opm and France or Austria for example.

That could work and actually be logical. It always bogged my mind how it takes the same slot(CORRESPONDING TO THE SAME AMMOUNT OF EFFORT) to maintain relations with an opm and France or Austria for example.
Mm it should be hard for a HRE minor to keep their allaince with France and offput their neighbours. Mecklenburg and the pomeranias don't tend to ally anyone but Poland or Denmark.
If allaince were limited to similar dev nations, and far smaller ones could only get guarantees like in IR it might change up the meta. Then we could an escalation from sending 22k condo from a major to the major's rivals then joining the war and escalating it up (something like war of berg's succession where it was Brandenburg and palatinate, then Dutch and Spanish get involved)