• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(11600)

bring the game home!
Nov 8, 2002
Visit site
OK, so I've only made one change to the GC (other than making the HL a major so I can play it): all five provinces are national provinces. I thought of giving them Memel as well (the board game does), but decided to let it be.

In the halls of the Hansetag
Very well, we are decided. The tides are changing, and if we are to maintain our League in dominance we must make sure no one power will dominate Europe. We must set our house in order, and strive for a defensive alliance with Poland while fortifying our border with the Danes.

The initial goal is to be defensive at the start, allying with Poland plus various German minors to our south, while defending against those dastardly Danes to our north. Meanwhile, dominate the trade at Holstein and Danzig. And finally, be the mapmaker to the world, just in case. :rolleyes: As far as tech research, getting Stability +3 always takes precedence over all else. After that, Land 3 to gain artillery, then Infrastructure 3 to promote judges, followed by Naval 5 to build naval factories. I really haven't planned beyond that.

On 5 Jan 1492 Portugal offered us a royal marriage, and we accepted. We acheived a monopoly at Holstein in Feb, and at Danzig a month later. On 1 Apr we gained our first diplomat (I had considered altering the GC to start with one, but decided to chance it), sending him immediately to Krakow (where Poland's capital should be) to offer a military alliance, which offer was accepted. The Teutonic Order offered a royal marriage on 3 May, Poland following suit on 19 Jun. On 1 Jul another diplomat was packed off to Lisbon, where there were rumors of new geographic discoveries, to gain knowledge of their maps Can we trade maps? No. Can we trade maps? No. Can we trade maps? NO! Can we trade maps? Shut up! Can you hear me now? Here! Just take the @!#@! maps and go! And then he went to Hannover, which joined our alliance.

In Oct we traded maps with Georgia, giving us knowledge of Persia (and their CoT). And on 29 Dec we initiated a royal marriage with Brandenburg. The new year brought a new land tech, and we started forging cannon at Holstein. On 1 Apr we established a dynastic alliance with the Danes, so that if they backstab us they'll take an extra Stab stab. On 24 Oct Poland initiated a war against Turkey, both Hans joining in, although our troops never moved from the Danish border. We did, however, make use of this war to raise taxes two years running.

We forged a dynastic alliance with Spain on 12 Jan 1494, trading maps with them a month later. We made merry with Hannover on 1 Jun, and invited Saxony (8 Aug) and Hessen (1 Nov) to join our alliance, both accepting. Sometime mid to late 1494:The Plan is going well, but we must keep an eye on Russia: they have annexed Kazan. On 1 Dec we arranged marriages with both Hessen and Saxony, Cardinal Moon presiding.

On 8 Jan 1495:I feel this is more disturbing than the news of Kazan. France has annexed Milan, a richer prize than all the provinces of Kazan. Both Austria and Spain are nervous that France will push new claims in Italy. And our own war came to an end on 6 Mar, as Turkey offered to cede Bujak to Poland, but no cash changed hands.

-Pat

Last edited:
:D The orange line on map trading had me cracking up!

In any event, it's nice to see you are back at it. This will be a very good tale by the looks of things.

I don't want to have any alliances of any sort when the League converts, but having a marriage offer rejected still hurts :( . 7 Jul 1495:What? The Count Palatinate rejected our marriage offer? Why should he do so, our merchant families have plenty of young men and daughters from which to choose!
Ah, but many noble houses are so medieval, and feel that we merchant houses are beneath their station.
We arranged a marriage with Kleves on 8 Sep, but failed that day with Cologne.

Those dastardly Danish merchants were starting to create difficulties in Holstein, so we embargoed them on 1 Jun 1496. And it seems the AI has learned from me, as Granada got off with just paying indemnities to Spain on 7 Jul. On 4 Aug we forged a dynastic bond with Thuringen. 5 Nov:Savoy has annexed Parma; they are small enough still to not pose a threat to the Plan themselves, but it must be kept in mind that they are allied to France. On 9 Nov we made ties to the Tudors.

On New Year's Day 1497 we dip'ed Brandenburg, hoping to overcome their dislike of Saxony; getting them in our alliance would complete our securing of our southern frontier. Unfortunately, within the next month they had allied with Bohemia. Also on that day we traded maps with Portugal (8 tries) and Spain (only 2 tries). As our new mission, we made a royal marriage with Venice on 10 Jan. On 1 Oct 1498 we traded maps with England. On the down side, between Aug 1497 and Mar 1500 we were rejected, in order, by Russia, Palatinate, Russia, Cologne, Scotland, Palatinate, Russia, Scotland and Palatinate.

1 May 1500:You know, Herr Machiavelli, if we take out 3 loans we can start construction of a brewery in Eastern Pommerania, and make use of our newly acquired Infrastructure 3 by taking another loan to promote two judges and a fifth loan to promote two more, without a pfenning to spare. This is the risky part I find so tempting (and why I don't gamble with money): can I either stand the fiscal strain and pay these loans off in a reasonably timely fashion, or can I go bankrupt quickly when they come due? Paying them off roughly one per decade will be a bad result.

-Pat

Last edited:
Great to see a new AAR Pat, will be very interesting to see how you will do the Hanseatic League. Keep it coming :D

The Scottish lairds rejected our offer of marriage in late Jun 1500, but the Russian boyers gave in on 29 Sep. On Boxing Day the Count Palatinate rejected us again. 19 Jan 1501:Another minor has fallen to a minor: Cyrenaica has annexed Tripoli... not that the Libyan desert matters much. Over the next 2-1/2 years we were left at the altar by Bavaria, Lorraine, Baden, Scotland, Palatinate, Bavaria, Bohemia, Cologne and Palatinate. I was saddened by this, until I realized that dynastic alliances last for 25 years, not 15 as I had thought. So I stopped offering marriages that would break at the planned conversion c.1525.

3 Mar 1503:Good news, I hope. France has been taken down a notch, ceding all Aquitaine to Spain. Unfortunately, the Spanish males are showing a habit of dying, and if it continues four great houses of Europe will combine in one man. On 26 Sep we forged a bond with Pskov.

We reached Land Tech 4 without effort in Mar 1504, followed in Sep by Naval Tech 4. At this point the Hansetag put all available funds into cash, using this to double our cannon (to 40) and arm a couple thousand men at arms. On 2 Mar 1505 we reforged our military alliance with Hessen, Pol-Lith, Saxony and Hannover. We extended all five loans when they came due in Jun (from interest rates of 6-14% to 21-29%), and declared bankruptcy on a personal note, I'm pleased to have to look up its spelling a mere month later.

I left off there to make a second adjustment to the save file: I think the dialog box and the rule book handle this better, and inflation should go down.

-Pat

Last edited:
Lots of updating: from one stability hit to an even bigger one!

By Jun 1506 our stability maxed out again. We stole Brandenburg into our alliance on 8 Jan 1508, and Pol-Lith dragged all of us into a war against Courland two weeks later. 5 May:This is disturbing: our own ally Poland has swallowed a minor, annexing Courland with their CoT. ... We only allied with them because they are the biggest threat to ourselves this early; when the time is right we will dump them and can see to their weakness.

In Mar 1511 we reached Infrastructure 4, then spent four months putting all income to cash in order to promote our last judge. And then on 19 Jun 1512 Cologne (backed by Kleves) started an umprovoked war against Hessen (backed by all of us). Neither Poland nor we made any effort to prosecute this war. We did, however, raise war taxes in Aug and did the same a year later. Cologne paid off Saxony on 15 Oct.

15 Nov:Don't try to explain this one away: Hessen has annexed Kleves. ... I won't; hopefully Cologne will have the sense to pay cash before they suffer the same fate. On 17 May 1513, Brandenburg was in control of Cologne but it was Hannover who gained reparations; Brandenburg only received a white peace. In Jul we began fortifying East Pommerania. 3 Jun 1514:Things are moving in the Balkans: Wallachia has annexed Moldavia. It's a rich province, but this does help balance the larger powers in that region.

30 Jun:As we feared, Cologne did not show much sense. We must find some way to keep Hessen in check! In Jan 1515 Martin Luther posted his 97 theses, ushering in the Reformation. Slightly more than two years later we were rebuffed by Portugal in our offer to have them join our alliance. Our discussions were not in vain, however, as shortly later (22 Feb 1517) a young man named Brisgau appeared at Bremerhaven offering to gain us new lands across the oceans. We sent him out and he arrived at Isle Royale on 20 Sep, at which time we drew a loan and sent volunteer colonists after him. As we reached Naval 5 in Dec, our ships returned home quicker than they departed. 24 Mar 1518:Good news/bad news: word has arrived that our colonists arrived safely, but when Spain and Portugal learned of this they imposed on the Pope to issue a treaty at Tordesillas.

In Sep we gained Land 5. Persia annexed Iraq on the 23rd. And four great houses of Europe combined in one man in Jan 1519. In Jul 1521 God granted us a Trade Embargo against the world for 45 months (although I lost the final 10 due to leaving the game when I did). Wurtemberg converted to Protestant on 1 Jan 1522, and the last of our Catholic marriages expired on the 13th, leaving us to await the exparation of our military alliance so that we can convert ourselves. Unfortunately, Portugal started a fashion on the 18th by offering us a dynastic alliance. They were followed by Hannover, Hessen, Brandenburg, Saxony and Hessen again. We were intent on keeping relations with our German allies above 100, and denying these requests was making our diplomats' jobs no easier.

We achieved an absolute monopoly in the Holstein CoT on 7 May 1524, and on 3 Jun our military alliance expired peacefully. We converted to Protestant, and immediately reformed our alliance, this time with Saxony, Hannover, Brandenburg and Hessen.

-Pat

Last edited:
Nice work Pat, now that you are protestant and leader of a great German alliance it is time to start expanding and teach the Catholics to fear you :)

Lord E said:
Nice work Pat, now that you are protestant and leader of a great German alliance it is time to start expanding and teach the Catholics to fear you :)
J.Passepartout said:
Maybe you could annex Hessen yourself.

Don't forget, guys, there will be no military expansion on my part (although as others start converting I will try to vassalize them). I did try playing another two years last night, but the computer froze up as I was saving the game :mad: .

-Pat

pjcrowe said:
Don't forget, guys, there will be no military expansion on my part (although as others start converting I will try to vassalize them). I did try playing another two years last night, but the computer froze up as I was saving the game :mad: .

-Pat

Sounds like a novel strategy.

sainte-therese said:
Sounds like a novel strategy.
It is; not even I've tried it before, and I've played some peaceful games (at least by Morpheus' standards ;) ).

And welcome to our little cabal here in EU1!

-Pat

Nice, a conversion! This balancing act is getting ever more interesting. :)

Edit: Eu1 is the most wonderful game in the world. Very old school but also very fun. If you see it and don't mind spending a low amount of money for the buy, pick it up!

A quick update here:

10 Oct 1524:Well, Spain has finally done it, annexing Grenada. I bet we could have held out longer. :rolleyes: On New Year's 1525 Hessen converted, but agreed to return to our alliance immediately. And on 13 Jun they offered a dynastic alliance, which we accepted. Our colony at Isle Royale converted on 20 Oct, and in response our stability maxed out a week or two later.

On New Year's 1526 we offered a marriage to Wurtemberg which they accepted. In Dec the Hansetag voted to put all income into cash for up to a full year, so that we can fund projects and still pay off our loan (already renewed once) at the end of the year. The New Year brought news of Helvetia converting to Protestant, and the next day they agreed to a dynastic alliance with us.

And then, on 21 Feb, Poland-Lithuania backed by the Knights, Spain, Genoa, England and Portugal, declared war upon us backed by Saxony, Hannover, Brandenberg and Hessen.

And that's where I left off the game.

-Pat

Last edited:
Bloody Poles, now it is time to show them that they shouldn’t be rude against you. Perhaps conquering their lands will teach them ;)