Had my first Roman Civil War (unplanned) and lost Eagle

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SAS

20+ Years on the Forum
204 Badges
Jan 13, 2002
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • March of the Eagles
Lost my first Eagle today in battle against the Magna Gracia city states. Interesting battle effect, I liked it, and of course I got it back!

Then there I was leading the glorious Republic of Rome having just united Italy when a little known (no family) gentleman decided to run for consul and requested my support. Well of course I looked at this gent and his horrible stats, no power base to speak of, no holding, and I sent him on his way with a firm no.

Well he kept asking for help and I repeatedly refused after all why worry, my governors were loyal as were my generals. Well a few decisions later (provinces losing loyalty) and an election and poof...Civil War! The darn lout got support and but only about a 5th of my provinces joined him, not to bad. the problem was half the army revolted. Now this was unexpected but exciting. The war was challenging to say the least and I lost more than a few brave legions. But in the end the battle was won. It was a good challenge.

• 8Like
Reactions:
That is my problem with this as well. If you look at real Roman civil wars they happened for real reasons not random numbers like in Imperator.
There was an abortive populist war by a Gracchi brother, a populist civil war started by Marius and Caesar's civil war, which, contrary to popular belief, had nothing to do with party politics and more to do with Pompey and some conservative senators planning on killing Caesar and thus forcing Caesar's hand.

All of the men involved with these were exceptional men, not the 3-1-1-2 nobodies whose loyalty slips to 32 and then has half of your land and army join them for 'reasons'.

• 4Like
Reactions:
What I don't get is why a man with such garbage skills would be capable of starting such a war in an otherwise stable state.
His "stats" were not impressive, like all 1's or 0's. But via the events he "turned" provinces. Guess he was a good orator.