• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

chegitz guevara

Lord of the Horizons
64 Badges
May 14, 2001
www.absynthe.biz
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
I'm sure many of you are aware of Inferis' thread Hacking the TBL Files. If you haven't visited in a while (or ever), Inferis has managed to create a viewer, I think. They are slowly but surely closing in on one of our Silmarils, an actual map editor.

Now, there is a hard coded limit of 1614 provinces. You can delete, combine, split, and add provinces, but the total number must always be 1614.

So we might, as a group, want to start thinking about what provinces to remove, combine, split, and add.

For instance, Greenland doesn't need to be two provs. It wasn't that important. Thrace, on the other hand, needs to be split in two.

chegitz guevara said:
I'm sure many of you are aware of Inferis' thread Hacking the TBL Files. If you haven't visited in a while (or ever), Inferis has managed to create a viewer, I think. They are slowly but surely closing in on one of our Silmarils, an actual map editor.

Now, there is a hard coded limit of 1614 provinces. You can delete, combine, split, and add provinces, but the total number must always be 1614.

So we might, as a group, want to start thinking about what provinces to remove, combine, split, and add.

For instance, Greenland doesn't need to be two provs. It wasn't that important. Thrace, on the other hand, needs to be split in two.

neat :) I think the persons responsible for Asia will be very happy ;)

Some ideas of provinces that could potentially be merged:

Utah and Moab
Mato Grosso and Goias
Salehero and Kondinsk
Krasnoyarsk and Balakhta
Korfa and Palana
Mdennah and Azaouad
Ungava and Minto
Caniapiscau and Nain

Up for debate, of course. Personally, I don't know of any reason why these are individually important.

chegitz guevara said:
Theoretically, yes.
You could easily shave a dozen seazones off the bottom of the map by combining them with one of the zones immediately north of them - this would have little to no impact on gameplay.

What provinces would people want to see added?

The obvious onest that spring to my mind are a trans-ural province that goes from north Russia to the TI in Siberia, and five or six provinces in the Mongolian PTI that bridge the gap from lake Baikal to China.

It would of course already be quite helpful if we could rename and possibily reshape provinces, since this will make several discussions a lot easier to resolve (first thing to do would obviously be renaming the Tula province to Moskva and the Moscow province to Yaroslavl; also the issue with Cleves not being in the Kleves province could be adressed).
Personally, the new provinces I would like to see most are:
  • Trier, between Pfalz and Luxembourg
  • Flandern split into two provinces
  • Croatia split into Croatia and Slavonia (with the Croatia province enlarged by parts of the Krain province)
  • Hercegovina, in the north of the Dalmatia province
  • Noord-Brabant, in the east of the Zeeland province
  • and of course a split of Thrace
EDIT: Yes, and Artois inserted between the Picardie, Artois and Calais provinces (with the old Artois province renamed to Hainault) would be nice as well.

Last edited:
And majbe redo the Zeeland and "belgian" provs; so the netherlands and spanish belgium will look better later in the game ... So artois would need some tweaking aswell ;)

Move the Aral Sea to it's correct location! :)

My personal desire in addition to the ones mentioned above is to slice up Azerbaijan province. Split the difference with Tabriz province and make a new provice called Tebriz, make Tabriz become Qazvin, rename Azerbaijan to Baku.

Anatolia needs a serious rework. almost every single province needs to be changed, and we need at least twice as many provinces there...

Something to keep in mind in all of this is the effect on movement. As it is it takes far too long to go from Paris to Amsterdam compared to Moscow to Warsaw. Adding more small provinces in Western Europe will aggravate this. If a real rework of the map is to be done I'd start by trying to get some of the distances right, rather than trying to simulate possesions better.

I'm not sure this isn't too big of a can of worms.

Isaac Brock said:
Something to keep in mind in all of this is the effect on movement. As it is it takes far too long to go from Paris to Amsterdam compared to Moscow to Warsaw. Adding more small provinces in Western Europe will aggravate this. If a real rework of the map is to be done I'd start by trying to get some of the distances right, rather than trying to simulate possesions better.

I'm not sure this isn't too big of a can of worms.

I'd say; lets make inner siberia consist of larger provs !; long stretshes; so that it is still long to walk trough
like: russia||||||||||siberia|||||china.
but make it that nothing is terra incognita; and lose some of the ocean provs;

Then we have a lot of provs to incoporate in europe ...

If we're to get the distances right more provinces are needed in Eastern Europe and, especially China. What is the distance from Shanghai to Lhasa? Especially if you compare it to the distance from Madrid to Berlin.

If we can actually redraw the map, we can make visible links around the doublewides, which would become singlewides, and possible put in a SIno-Siberian Corridor for Mongolia/China.

But we need to remember that for every province we make, we need to lose another...

Great opportunity to redo Scotland then. Restraining ourselves to four provinces, I suggest 'Merse' (mountain, borders Northumberland to the south, capital Kelso), some central province to include Glasgow, Edinburgh, Ayr, Fife and Stirling, terrain forest and bordering Merse, capital Edinburgh, then the area above the Tay split roughtly W/E between a forest area centred on Aberdeen and a western, mountain area, 'Highlands' if we're unimaginative or maybe 'Druim Alban', with 'capital' perhaps Inveraray.

chegitz guevara said:
I personally think the Pacific is wayyyyyy to big. There should only be a short distance between Alaska and Siberia.

Is there a setting which determines how long it takes a unit to cross a province?
sizemodifier in province.csv can be used for that (the higher the number, the longer the movement time).

pdox didn't use it in standard setting which doesn't mean however that it is not usable. Havard mentions it in his editting bible and some people did tests on it (including myself) and it seem to work indeed.

Kasperus said:
pdox didn't use it in standard setting which doesn't mean however that it is not usable. Havard mentions it in his editting bible and some people did tests on it (including myself) and it seem to work indeed.

seems lika a much better idea than to take away provinces from western europe