• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(80599)

Captain
Jul 18, 2007
Habsburga la vista, baby!​
A 1914 Austro-Hungarian AAR​
nlya6r.jpg

HoI2 1914 mod version 0.42
Hard/Furious
Some cheating to prevent rapid Central Powers victory
No military control of allies
Some slight modifications: province names; Thorn is a German province

This is my first AAR, so please bear with me :) There won't be much in the way of story-telling; this just represents my attempt to play Austria-Hungary and lead the Dual Monarchy to victory in the Great War.

Contents Page

Part One: The Great War​

Introduction

The great revolutions wrought by the nineteenth century have not been kind to the Habsburg Empire. The Dual Monarchy has been unable to keep up with the pace of technological and industrial change and is lagging behind the great manufacturing nations. The greatest challenge, however, comes from nationalism and democracy. The thousand nations of the Habsburg Empire* are increasingly demanding autonomy, representation, even independence. Can a multi-national empire survive in the strange and frightening modern age?

2lvjo85.jpg

The nationalities of Austria-Hungary

The demands of national self-determination are tugging at the Empire from all directions. Czechs, Slovaks, Poles, Romanians, Croatians, Bosnians, Italians, even Germans and Magyars are less loyal to the crown than one might desire. It is, however, Serbia that constitutes the greatest threat. The existence of an independent Slavic state - backed by Russia, no less - is not conducive to the loyalty of the Empire's Slavic populations. If Serbia continues to thrive, the Slavs of the Dual Monarchy may eventually rise up.

Austria-Hungary is a state beset by foes on all sides:

izuyd2.jpg

Austria-Hungary and her potential enemies

The only reliable ally that Austria-Hungary has left may well be the German Empire. But the complex system of alliances may well mean that an attack on Serbia, backed by Germany, will cause an international conflagration...

*I couldn't help it, I've seen '300' too many times.

Last edited:
Looks good, I love 1914 mod. Just make sure the Germans don't lose in the West...

Winner: Yeah, I know - in hands-off games the Germans seem to have a certain tendency to allow an Entente push into the Rhineland and Southern Germany, so I'll have to be watchful...

Carlito Gambino: Ah, we shall see. If events fire historically, I should soon be at war with Serbia and Montenegro anyway... mwahahaha!

Chapter I: The Calm before the Storm​
January-June, 1914​

Ah, Serbia and her claims on Habsburg lands. Something ought to be done about this.

2eyxbva.jpg

Serbia; Serbian territorial claims

Austro-Hungarian technology is woefully outdated (we're using 1890 cavalry). Thankfully Germany is throwing blueprints at us in large numbers, so soon all shall fear the might of the House of Habsburg.

auv2b8.jpg

Austro-Hungarian research in late April 1914

Besides a strong army, the Dual Monarchy also needs a powerful navy. Two strong battle fleets have been constructed to dominate the Adriatic against the navies of France, Serbia, and Montenegro. Hopefully.

2uyitzl.jpg

The Austrian navy in the Adriatic

A conflict with Serbia seems inevitable. The Matscheko Memorandum has already recommended that Serbia be isolated, encircled and crushed - the future of the monarchy depends on it.

2iszbdd.jpg

On June 28, 1914 Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria and his wife have been assassinated in Sarajevo by a Serbian nationalist. The aged emperor has lost his heir. But beneath the sadness, those in power realise that this may be a golden opportunity, the last chance to save the k.u.k. monarchy from ruin. With the world's sympathy with Austria, what better time to crush Serbia with German backing?

Last edited:
Just bought a documentary about that assassination.
Hope that you'll do as fine as "Big white Blob" usually does in Eu2.
I'll be following this, A-H is always a nice thing to see.

I wonder why Serbia doesnt have a core on Podgorica.

Good luck! :)

Lord Finnish: Yeah, I hope so too - Italy has more IC than me, which is somewhat worrying!

germanpeon: That is weird. Now it's going to bother me for the rest of the game ;) Someone must have forgotten. I could edit the savegame, but it won't matter, hopefully!

Middelkerke: In 1914. I guessed that time would be too badly against Austria-Hungary (seventeen years of people with more IC than you building stuff isn't nice). Plus, it would give the AI almost two decades in which to spam divisions.

Last edited:
Middelkerke said:
Maybe then it would be a war and not a walk over :)
Ah yes, battles with hundreds and thousands of divisions ;) A friend of mine actually once did that in a normal game, attacking a single Italian province with 384 divisions. That's the Soviets for you. Just imagine close to six million men scrambling to get at an enemy force of around fifty thousand...

Helmold said:
Ah yes, battles with hundreds and thousands of divisions ;) A friend of mine actually once did that in a normal game, attacking a single Italian province with 384 divisions. That's the Soviets for you. Just imagine close to six million men scrambling to get at an enemy force of around fifty thousand...

It would be hard for the 50k men to miss in the first few seconds? Later on its RUN! :)

Chapter II: Lurching towards Catastrophe​
July 1914

A crisis is brewing in eastern Europe. Austria has decided to gamble, and she is supported by Germany. At the same time, our supposed ally is perfidiously deserting us.

14l368o.jpg

The blank cheque

If war breaks out, it may well not be confined to just the Balkans. Apparently our last and only allies know this, too: the Germans are moving the Reichswehr to their western border.

2wqsfub.jpg

German troops redeploying to the West

Throughout the month of July, all of Europe is busy with frantic preparations. The Austro-Hungarian fleet has left its ports in Fiume and Spalato and is gathering in the Adriatic.

qyv1mo.jpg

Fleet movements

Only a spark is now needed to ignite the powder keg. Will Serbia reject the Austrian ultimatum?

Poor Franz Ferdinand :( He was actually one of the most progressive Hapsburgs and the one most inclined to grant equal rights to the Empire's Slavic peoples.

it seems the powder keg is about to explode...
Get to cover!
*runs away very quickly*

Winner said:
Poor Franz Ferdinand :( He was actually one of the most progressive Hapsburgs and the one most inclined to grant equal rights to the Empire's Slavic peoples.
Yes, it's very interesting, Hitler absolutely hated him. Well, that isn't really to say much, since Hitler hated most concepts/people/countries/furry baby animals, but you know...

Chapter III: Plan of Attack​
August 2, 1914

If war breaks out, will the glorious multi-national Habsburg Empire hold together?

nuvs6.jpg

The lands of the Dual Monarchy

(Okay, I frankly admit that I have no real excuse to include that picture. But it's so cool!) Meanwhile,on the morrow of August 2, diplomacy takes an, er, totally unexpected turn:

2ahbkvo.jpg

Uh-oh. Who could have seen that one coming? So much for isolating, encircling and crushing Serbia. Nonetheless, the greatest military minds of Austria-Hungary have come up with the Amazing Foolproof Battle Plan for 1914:

ip5mj9.jpg

The Amazing Foolproof Battle Plan

The key to this brilliant plan is lightning offensives against France in the west and Serbia and Montenegro in the south. The former, obviously, is the Germans' job, while we shall take care of those pesky South Slavs! In the east we shall hold as wave after wave of Russians will smash against Austro-Hungarian shields and spears and shatter with each advance. Hopefully. Then, after beating the enemy in the west and south, we shall turn east for a joint offensive and knock out the bear. It can't fail! The war will be over in forty days and everyone will be home for Christmas.

Let's hope the German AI co-operates!

NOTE: I apologise for constantly switching between a mock-dramatic and a flippant tone, I'm having real trouble taking Austria-Hungary seriously. But the world will be in awe of dual-monarchical might!

Héhéhé good update. I like your 'foolproof' plan, let's hope the German AI does her work.

Keep it up.

Good luck against the Russians. I agree, let's hope German AI does something. I'll be following