• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MonkeyHybrid

Major
49 Badges
May 18, 2008
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Prison Architect
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 200k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
Habsburg Adventures!

A Nation Called Austria

I'm going to try making my first AAR, it's (as the title suggests) an Austria game. Difficulty is normal/normal with all the settings on defaults.

My objective will be to secure and then maintain Austria's status as a world superpower, and push the Infidel out of Europe.

EU3_6.jpg

Austria starts off as a respectable regional power, with quite good prospects for expansion. Anyway, as you can see in the picture I begin by allying Poland and Hungary, as they tend to be Bohemian expansion targets and I should be able to use a stab-hit free defensive war with them to expand north-wards.

EU3_7.jpg

Most of the advisors I could pick from were poor, apart from this guy, who I'm quite happy with.

EU3_8.jpg

Although you can't see many of them in this picture, I accept royal marriages with about 8 or so minors and also marry into Hungary and Poland to increase relations.

EU3__9.gif

Quite a nice first mission, but I won't really go for it until the HRE is in weaker hands or Bohemia has been knocked down a peg or two and I'm confident of my ability to defeat them. Not really shown in any of the screenshots, but I've also ordered 4,000 new infantry and 4,000 new cavalry to reinforce the Habsburg armies.

Although I don't intend to expand into the regions suggested by the mission, I do intend to press into Northern Italy. Venice isn't protected by the HRE and could very well drag several HRE minors into the war as well. This is where I really wish I didn't have to call my allies to arms on every war, I'm most probably going to lose Hungary and Poland when I invade Venice, but I should be able to get them back relatively easily after. But it's still annoying and could be a major problem if Bohemia invades them while I'm unallied.

EU3_10.jpg

Not much happens until 14th October 1400, when I pause to grab up the AI's rejected advisors, and get quite a good pick in my opinion. This screenshot also shows the military improvements I've made. Despite the name of my top diplomat, I'm assured he is infact one of the best.

EU3_11.jpg

The first of many wars to ensure Habsburg dominance in Europe begins.

-I'm going to try and include some roleplaying/character-dialogue next update.

Also, starting from next time, I'm going to take the time to resize the screenshots and also change them to gif format. These screenshots took ages to upload.

I also really see why screenshots need resizing now, I'll do that for next update.

First Austro-Venetian War

Hapsburg Adventures!

First Austro-Venetian War

War was declared on Venice, and the predictable happened. Hungary and Poland both deserted me. No biggy though.

EU3__12.gif

What did annoy me abit though, is the way Venice's allies deserted him. I was hoping to make gains in Switzerland and possibly vassalise Genoa.

-Trent, several miles from the Venetian border. September 16th 1401

"Your majesty?"
Albrecht IV, Habsburg Emperor of Austria, glanced up from the war charts he was studying. It was a page-boy who'd entered and spoke, and he now stood at the entrance to the chamber hesitantly, clearly unsure about interrupting the Emperor.
"Yes? Speak up boy!"
"Generals Leopold and Ludwig have arrived, they are currently waiting in the parlour, your Majesty,"
Ah, Generals Leopold and Ludwig, the two acting Generals he'd put in charge of the two royal infantry divisions in lieu of a proper Habsburg commander. They had been the best of a bad pick.

A short while later and he found himself explaining the plan to his Generals.
"Gentlemen, we shall assault Treviso in a three pronged attack. General Ludwig's 1st Royal Infantry will move in from Tirol with all haste, and General Leopold's 2nd Royal Infantry will move in from Lienz. I shall lead the Royal Cavalry ahead in an assault from Trent, crushing all resistance before us. You should be able to expect only nominal resistance moving into Treviso."
He gestured to the plan on the table.

EU3__13.gif

"Any questions?"
The two Generals merely stood there in silence, hopefully because they'd already fully memorised the plan and not just in their haste to get away.
"Then we shall meet again in Treviso. Good luck Gentlemen,"
"Thank you, your Majesty, and the same to you,"
The two generals spoke as one.

The initial assault went as well as could be hoped, with Venetian defenders being pushed back after 6 days of fighting, with as good as no casaulties to the Austrian cavalry. The battle had been won by the 27th of September.

EU3__14.gif

Shortly after, the Venetians issued their predictable trade embargo on the 16th of October.

EU3__15.gif

The only merchant Austria had ever sent out was currently in Venezia, but I've never been much of a trader anyway.

In the hopes of speeding things up, Austria ordered it's 12,000 infantry to assault the fort at Treviso. The assault was very nearly a success, but after a valiant defence they were pushed back. Only 60 or so Venetian defenders had survived the assault however. After the assault, morale in the infantry was low, but the commanders thought the army was safe in it's numerical advantage, surely the Venetians wouldn't dare to attack?

A sudden Venetian counter-attack pushed out from Venezia, and with the low morale and disorganisation caused by the recent assault, the Austrians fled back across the border on the 22nd of November.

EU3__16.gif

The Venetians' joy was short-lived however, as, now once more with proper cavalry support, the Austrians attacked once again. The Venetian army was now the one to flee, and, thanks to the damage already inflicted and under-strength garrison, the fort at Treviso was captured in less than a fortnight.

EU3__17.gif

The Venetians could now see the situation was hopeless, and on the 15th of December they accepted the peace treaty offered by Austria.

EU3__18.gif

Habsburg Adventures!

Of God & Empire

Much to the dismay of the Habsburg Emperor Albrecht IV, the King of Bohemia was once again elected to the office of Holy Roman Emperor on Wednesday 3rd April 1402.

EU3_31.gif

There had been tension with the archbishopric of Salzburg for some time, many nobles within Austria had started arguing that Salzburg should be a part of Austria and their independence was an insult. The arguments seemed to be coming to a head when, on Thursday 6th June 1402, Emperor Albrecht IV pledged support for dissidents within Salzburg. Although it would turn out to be little more than wasted money, it caused a severe dip in relations.

EU3_32.gif

Only the ever present shadow of Bohemia to the north had stopped Austria from invading Salzburg long ago. But now there was growing popular support among the nobles and other courtiers for an invasion of Salzburg and freeing Austria from Bohemian threats. However, it was not any of these factors that led Albrecht IV to finally declare war and invade Salzburg.
Rather it was the fact that even as Emperor, one could not be sure how much of life they had left. Albrecht IV desprately wanted to secure a lasting legacy, and claim a place among the great Habsburgs.
On the 22nd of August 1402, war was declared.

EU3_33.gif

-Wien, Austrian Capital, 23rd August 1402

Albrecht IV now found himself in an oddly familiar situation. Here he was, explaining his war plans to those two same Generals in nearly the same manner as he did a year ago.
Generals Ludwig and Leopold both had medals gracing their uniforms now. They were cheap, tinny things, but Albrecht IV had guessed, quite correctly, that these two wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
"Gentlemen, here we are once again, making our plans for defence of the realm,"
There was silence for a few moments, as the two generals scanned the maps and plans on the table that their Emperor had drew up.
"As you two must know, this war will be considerably less one sided than the Venetian war. We can expect fanatical resistance from the populace and soldiers in Salzburg and large armies being fielded from Bohemia."
"Indeed, your Majesty." It was General Ludwig who spoke.
"Anyway, to business. Ludwig, your 1st Infantry will move into Salzburg from Lienz. General Leopold, your 2nd Infantry shall push southwards from Linz. We'll crush them in between you. I will deploy the Royal Cavalry to the north around Wien, to push back any Bohemian advance."

EU3_34.gif

Yet again, silence for a few minutes, before the Emperor broke it.
"Any questions?"
"Your Majesty," Leopold spoke up, "What provision is being made for Wurttemburg?"
"In all probability, they won't answer the call to arms. If they do, we'll redeploy the 1st Infantry to that front after the annexation of Salzburg."
"A brilliant plan your Majesty,"

Albrecht IV was proved right, when, on the 24th of August, Wurttemburg refused to answer the call to arms.

The 1st Royal Infantry under General Ludwig was the first to arrive in Salzburg. The 'fanatical resistance' they had been expecting failed to materialise, as the forces of Salzburg were wiped aside with little effort. By the 6th of September the battle of Salzburg was won.

EU3_35.gif

The 2nd Royal Infantry soon arrived in Salzburg too.

Meanwhile, on the northern front, Albrecht IV spotted an oppotunity and he took it, advancing forward. This daring action resulted in the complete annihilation of a small Bohemian force.

EU3_36.gif

As Albrecht IV's cavalry retreated from Bohemia back to their original position, they caught a small regiment of Bohemian cavalry and destroyed it. On the same day as that battle, 28th September 1402, Bohemia signed a peace with Burgundy, freeing up more Bohemian troops for the Austrian front.

EU3_37.gif

On November 24th, two important things happened. A 3,000 strong force of Bohemian cavalry advanced to Ostmarch, the first offensive move they'd made thus far in the war, and a small 4,000 strong peasant rebellion began in Lienz.

EU3_38.gif

The Bohemians had reinforced the cavalry force they sent forward and also deployed another force to Linz. On the 17th of February 1403, the day when the fort at Salzburg was captured, the battle in Ostmarch was still raging with no signs of abating soon.

EU3_39.gif

The next day, on the 18th of February, Salzburg accepted annexation, freeing up men for other fighting.

EU3_395.gif

The war is going quite well it seems. May Austria never stop growing!(in your AAR, that is. :p )

Yeah its TOT, and thanks for all the great comments :)

"...Despite the name of my top diplomat, I'm assured he is infact one of the best..."

haha :D

good luck with your first AAR!

Habsburg Adventures!

Habsburg Adventures!

The Bohemian War

This update begins with startling news, as the Bohemians capture Linz on the 1st of March 1403.

EU3_41.gif

A small 2,000 strong Bohemian army that had been annoying me by sieging Tirol has an army dispatched towards it. And those damn rebels show their persistance.

EU3_42.gif

On the 7th of April, that long and drawnout battle in Ostmarch finally ends with me winning. The 2,000 strong Bohemian army that was in Lienz is also beaten. Alarmingly, they now have their main stack at the gates of Wien.

EU3_43.gif

On the 8th of April, the Bohemian assault on the city fails. But only just.

EU3_44.gif

Emperor Albrecht IV himself rides to the city's aid. He arrives on the 30th of May and a brief and bloody battle ensues.

EU3_45.gif

On the 13th of June, the barbarians are pushed back from the gates of Wien. However, the situation still looks unwinnable.

EU3_46.gif

Albrecht IV's cavalry are pushed out and the barbarians are once again sieging Wien on Friday 4th of July.

EU3_47.gif

On the 27th of July, the unthinkable happens.

EU3_48.gif

Within the next few months, I find myself unable to counterattack effectively. Soon, all of northern Austria is controlled by the Bohemians.

EU3_49.gif

On the 4th of November, Wien is taken back. But Ostmarch and Lienz are still controlled by the Barbarians.

EU3_495.gif

Can Albrecht IV save his kingdom? Or is this the end for the Habsburg empire? Find out next time!

Subscribed!

This looks promising.

Why are you taking the -3 stability hits? With a little bit of patience and some luck you can wage all the wars you want without stab hits. This expansionistic behaviour would be seen as outright aggression and I wonder why they Emperor hadn't intervened yet (or were these events for MagnaMundi only? can't remember it's too long ago).

You are aware that your ruler wields the title of an archduke and has to be elected to be emperor by the other german rulers, aren't you?

It would seem that Bohemia is taking the fight to you. Hopefully, you can push them back.