Habitats in the Shattered Ring home system

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lorenerd11

Field Marshal
17 Badges
Mar 25, 2020
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Necroids
When Federations was first released, I would use the Shattered Ring origin and build habitats on the planets outside the asteroid ring – a generator habitat and a mining habitat. This is no longer possible, as the Shattered Ring system prevents any habitats from being built.

What are your thoughts on this? Should habitat construction outside the ring be restricted, or should we be able to build there?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Systems with a ringworld were unsuitable for habitats by default. If shattered ring allowed it, it is an inconsistency that needed to be addressed.
Constructed ringworlds are unsuitable for habitats because they have no planets to build habitats on. That is not the case for the Shattered Ring home system, which does have planets outside the ring.

So I'm not sure if I agree that being able to build on these planets was an inconsistency. In fact, one could argue that it's more inconsistent for the player to be unable to build habitats on unoccupied planets within their home system, even though there clearly is space for it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I specifically remember the devs stating that it would be possible to build a habitat over the crashed planet for minerals before Federations released, so they clearly intended for it to be possible. This change is so dumb.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Constructed ringworlds are unsuitable for habitats because they have no planets to build habitats on. That is not the case for the Shattered Ring home system, which does have planets outside the ring.

So I'm not sure if I agree that being able to build on these planets was an inconsistency. In fact, one could argue that it's more inconsistent for the player to be unable to build habitats on unoccupied planets within their home system, even though there clearly is space for it.
Right, although I'd prefer if they implemented a decision with tech requirement to cannibalize the remaining planets to repair the destroyed ring segment.

If you can build one from scratch then you should be able to repair the "irrevocably damaged" segment as well.

Reactions:
Right, although I'd prefer if they implemented a decision with tech requirement to cannibalize the remaining planets to repair the destroyed ring segment.

If you can build one from scratch then you should be able to repair the "irrevocably damaged" segment as well.
I've never understood why some ring worlds are irreparable, seriously if you can build a new one it should be possible to repair it unless it has been reduced to it's component atoms, and even then you should be able to build a new segment, or entire ringworld in it's place. seriously if they want to have ringworlds that are utterly wrecked just say that a ringworld that has sustained irreparable damage will need to be scrapped and rebuilt, which will make it cheaper to repair than building a new one, but more expensive than a restoring a "potentially repairable" one, naturally scrapping and rebuilding a ringworld would require ringworld tech.

Reactions:
I've never understood why some ring worlds are irreparable, seriously if you can build a new one it should be possible to repair it unless it has been reduced to it's component atoms, and even then you should be able to build a new segment, or entire ringworld in it's place. seriously if they want to have ringworlds that are utterly wrecked just say that a ringworld that has sustained irreparable damage will need to be scrapped and rebuilt, which will make it cheaper to repair than building a new one, but more expensive than a restoring a "potentially repairable" one, naturally scrapping and rebuilding a ringworld would require ringworld tech.

Cost would be exactly the same cost as building a segment (10k alloys?) + 1/4 the cost of a Ring Frame (I forget the cost; 0.25×20k=5k?). No discount. Cuz normally the cost includes using all the asteroid fields for materials. Functionally equivalent.

But it would require 2 phases. 1 to add the frame (quarter time of regular frame). 2 to build segment (regular time requirement).

Cost would be exactly the same cost as building a segment (10k alloys?) + 1/4 the cost of a Ring Frame (I forget the cost; 0.25×20k=5k?). No discount. Cuz normally the cost includes using all the asteroid fields for materials. Functionally equivalent.

But it would require 2 phases. 1 to add the frame (quarter time of regular frame). 2 to build segment (regular time requirement).
from what i can tell most of the material is left from the original ringworld segment, so scrapping it and rebuilding should be at least a bit cheaper than building a new one

Reactions:
I would like to see an event chain that let's you clean up the Central Processing unit to restore its ring world. I highly doubt that would ever happen outside of a mod.

The reason for some damaged rings not being repairable is a technical one.
When a segment is build the megastructure is replaced by 3 planets, or in case of generated structures a few debris "planets" and ambient objects.
however the script language is quite unreliable to identify 3 of 12 planets that where once created together.
destroying a habitable segment e.g. by crisis is done via the terraforming system not the megastructure system.
adding a terraform link back should work but would be influenced by terraforming modifiers instead of megastructure modifiers.

Reactions:
The reason for some damaged rings not being repairable is a technical one.
When a segment is build the megastructure is replaced by 3 planets, or in case of generated structures a few debris "planets" and ambient objects.
however the script language is quite unreliable to identify 3 of 12 planets that where once created together.
destroying a habitable segment e.g. by crisis is done via the terraforming system not the megastructure system.
adding a terraform link back should work but would be influenced by terraforming modifiers instead of megastructure modifiers.
This was visualized in the past, as bombardments that made tomb worlds or Crisis that changed planets would bug out the ring worlds. I haven't done a planet cracker on a ring world, i always opt for the bathing one