• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for all the votes folks! I've been checking the votes as they come in, and as far as I can see all are eligeble so far (@coz1 checked @stnylan before I got to it, thanks! ;) ).

We now are 13 days from the deadline, as so far we've got 21 posters voting- That's only 5 posters/voters behind the total from a year ago! You guys rock! :D And please spread the word. :) WritAARs, link in your AARs, readAARs, mention it here and there as you comment. This awAARd is for the whole of AARland, and the more votes we get in, the better! :D

Indeed, everyone get voting. There awards are not only great for the authAARs but also allow the readAARs who can find at at a glance some great works in parts of the forum we rarely visit so we can experience AARs we would never have otherwise seen.

Reactions:
Thinking, maybe for next round, we'll make two threads: one for votes only, and one for discussion? Not sure if its necessary, but if I was counting the votes I'd be a bit flustered with all the discussion cluttering things.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I started compiling twice, and the forum ate my draft twice. Well, third time's the charm. This is still a work in progress.

CKII
Blut und Schlacht (Blood and Battle): A Learner’s Saga by @Bullfilter
Give 'Em the Ol' Basel Razzle-Dazzle - A Habsburg AAR by @Green Rice
Jerusalem Calling - A Khazarian AAR by @terr0rizm
History 303 – The Third Kingdom (A CK2 Jerusalem AAR) by @Dunaden

I selected the above and left out The People of the Forest by @Dunaden because I haven't finished reading all of this yet and really loved the other one. Maybe this turns out to be better but then I'll nominate it in the next ACA :)

honorable mentions
Here Dwells God - A Jewish Poland AAR by @Tommy4ever it's really difficult to select only 4 among a lot of very good CKII AARs, so I chose the EUIV continuation of this AAR
Eschate — the Far Side of the World by @A Yorks this was also very promising, but cut short

EUIV
Here Dwells God - A Jewish Poland AAR, Part Two by @Tommy4ever
The Mad Princes of Denmark - Mildly Interactive AAR by @quicksabre
Jumping around, the 1.30 edition by @Sfan
The Quest for the amulet of Malik Bahram Lodi - A Sirhind AAR by @DukeOfNorfolk

Vicky2
Empire for Liberty: America in the Long Nineteenth Century by @volksmarschall
The Eastern Vikings, Part 3 - Baltic Mega-Campaign by @RedTemplar
The Most Sublime Porte - An Ottoman AAR by @Riotkiller
Gott mit Uns - A Mildly Interactive Prussian NWO AAR by @SibCDC

HoIIV
Patria, Justicia, y Libertad -- Synarchist Mexico AAR by @RedTemplar
Historical French AAR, 1936 by @makif130289

Stellaris
Pax Astra - A Stellaris AAR by @Rawghi
«As We Meet The Void of Space» by @Nikolai
We Are Sildor - A Federations AAR by @Nikolai

Other
Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936 by @Bullfilter (HoIIII)
Civis Romanus Sum (An EU-Rome Vae Victis AAR) by @Bullfilter (EU-R:VV)
Quick and Dirty 2: A Soviet Resurgence (HOI3 - March 1944 start) by @Bullfilter (HoIIII)
Der Adler, der Wolf, und die Sonne: Die Geschichte des Stahlpakts by @Wraith11B (HoIIII)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Back in action, I see. I suppose I can throw out a vote or two.

Other:
  1. Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936 by @Bullfilter (HoI3-TFH): Quite possibly the finest AAR in the history of the HoI3 board. While other AARs have provided excellent presentations over massive national scopes, none has shown the eclectic charm of narrative, presentation, and character as this one.
  2. Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44 by Lord @El Pip (HoI3-SF): Notable for having recently completed its run after nearly nine years of real-time (covering slightly as many months of game time - as is tradition!), a fantastic blend of comedy and nitpicky detail, often at the same time.
  3. 'Odin' and Stalin's Secret Committee by @roverS3 (HoI3-TFH): Quality, long-running Soviet AARs are rare enough as it is; rarer still is a Soviet AAR where such a massive country serves as backdrop for a creative writing exercise as it does here. The graphical presentation in recent updates is also impressive.
  4. Utsunimiya's War - HoI3(TFH) Japan AAR by @Eurasia (HoI3-TFH): Noted here not so much for the quality of the AAR itself (which I would not claim to be lacking, of course!) but more so for the strong community engagement of the comentatAARs. IJN factionalism is alive and well even in 2020!
Glancing at the early returns, I notice that HoI3 AARs dominate the "Other" category, and if memory serves this is not a new phenomenon. Might I broach the suggestion that in future ACAs, HoI3 be placed in its own category? It may be an older game and perhaps not as active as the newer titles, but it seems good to me that we give more space for AARs from "other other" games a chance to earn some accolades.

• 1Like
Reactions:
CK2
1. Lancaster: The King in the North, by @TheButterflyComposer
2. The Wolves of Westseaxna-a tale of Wessex, by @Asantahene
3. Lady Macbeth II - An Earldom of Buchan 1066 AAR by @Fiftypence
4. The Song of Wessex by @coz1

Vicky 2
1. May the Sun Never Set: A British AAR, by @Jape
2. Echoes of A New Tomorrow: Life after Revolution in the Commonwealth of Britain by Densley Blair
3. The Liberty Bell Rings: The Story of the Free American Commonwealth, @trekfan,
4. Annuntio Vobis: A Papal History of Italy by @slothinator

HOI4
1. A Royal Prerogative - A UK AAR, by @Le Jones
2. The Thorn of the Rose, by @stnylan
3. The Saar Offensive a single battle AAR, by @GeneralMiller

Other (the important category)
1. Der Adler, der Wolf, und die Sonne: Die Geschichte des Stahlpakts by @Wraith11B
2. Utsumimiya's War - HoI3(TFH) Japan AAR by @Eurasia HoI3
3.'Odin' and Stalin's Secret Committee, @roverS3,
4. Civis Romanus Sum (An EU-Rome Vae Victis AAR), by @Bullfilter

Formatting is mucky as I might have copied and pasted some lines from other people's votes rather than type out myself .;)

As has been noted by my colleague @nuclearslurpee it is obvious the HOI3 category should be reinstated, it keeps dominating the 'Other' category so it makes sense to bring it back.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
In the past 8 years, I have over 5,000+ hours playing CK2 compared to about 200 combined hours playing Stellaris and EUIV (and about 1 hour in HoI4, which consisted of reading wikis the tutorial sent me to). So not surprising, I spend most of my time reading CK2 AARs and haven't spent much time in the past 6 months reading AARs about the other games, though I am sure I am missing out on quality work.

Here are my CK2 votes:

1. Before Plantagenet – A House d’Anjou AAR by @JabberJock14
2. Lancaster: The King in the North, by @TheButterflyComposer
3. Games of Death in the Court of the Fæ by @Lord Decobius
4. Give 'Em the Ol' Basel Razzle-Dazzle - A Habsburg AAR, by @Green Rice

• 2Like
Reactions:
Re HoI3, realistically it should stay Other. A separate Other category would be almost empty.

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
EU4:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/punching-through-with-prussia.1383762/ by @jscaco
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...nt-de-grenadiers-a-pied-de-normandie.1242741/ by @cm_spitfire
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-the-largest-coalition-possible-1-29.1291395/ by @firezatswill9

Stellaris:

I will try and add to this during the week. Thanks @Nikolai for organising!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Re HoI3, realistically it should stay Other. A separate Other category would be almost empty.
As a counter-argument, consider that actually winning an ACA means fairly little to the author, besides a nice little line in one's signature or title post. However, it means potentially quite a lot to prospective readers, particularly those who might be interested in an AAR for a little-played game. Clogging the ACAs "Other" category with HoI3 AARs (a forum which is certainly active enough by itself to merit a separate category, despite its age) pushes down those other AARs of high quality which suffer from a minimal readership and would not pull in as many votes.

I really don't think it's important that the "Other" category be full or even competitive, as long as it can serve for visibility of AARs in chronically-unvisited parts of the forums which deserve the readership. The HoI3 section despite its age certainly does not lack for readership.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I am certain a HOI3-less Other category would still get more votes (total votes and voters) than Imperator Rome and no-one is suggesting deleting that category.

To make a more positive case I agree with @nuclearslurpee 's post above and agree the main advantage would be getting non-HOI3 AARs in the 'Other' category more exposure. I know I definitely fall into the 'prospective reader' category that is discussed and I have started following many excellent works because they won an award or even just got voted for and so came to my attention. I'm sure I can't be alone in that experience.

• 2Like
Reactions:
We do have some thinking to do with the upcoming CK3,,,

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Thanks all for voting! With only 3 days left to vote, we have now got 29 voters - which means we've surpassed the total of voters from last time we did this! Amazing folks! :D

Please keep spreading the word, and remember you have only three days left before the voting period is over. So if you need to add to or change your vote...now is the time!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sorry for the erratic formatting. I'm very lazy and I've just been copy/pasting from other people's posts.
Vic II:
The Most Sublime Porte - An Ottoman AAR, by @Riotkiller
Jihad on the Savannah: A Vic2 serious Sokoto AAR, by @mad orc
Vpřed, Zachadie! A 20th Century HtA Zachadia AAR, by @Kienzle
Echoes of A New Tomorrow: Life After Revolution in the Commonwealth of Britain by @DensleyBlair
There are a lot of really great Victoria II AARs at the moment. It was very tough to narrow this down.
HOI IV:
Patria, Justicia, y Libertad -- Synarchist Mexico AAR, by @RedTemplar
I may edit more in here. Not super familiar with the AARs here and the other nominations have given me some reading material.
Stellaris:
Stardancers - A Federations AAR, by @RossN
Songs of the Saiiban- A Poetic AAR, by @Chilango2
Superior Arguments - A Stellaris AAR by @eoncommander

CKII:
Before Plantagenet – A House d’Anjou AAR, by @JabberJock14
A Kingdom in the Clouds: A Ü-Tsang AAR, @RossN
Lancaster: The King in the North, by @TheButterflyComposer
Road of Queens - CKII India AAR by @Eurasia
EU IV:
Here Dwells God: A Jewish Poland AAR, Part Two, by @Tommy4ever
Italian Ambitions: A Florence AAR by @JerseyGiants88
Same situation as HOI IV here.
Other:
Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936 by @Bullfilter
Civis Romanus Sum (An EU-Rome Vae Victis AAR) by @Bullfilter
Quick and Dirty 2: A Soviet Resurgence (HOI3 - March 1944 start), by @Bullfilter
A wehraboo and a hat in charge of Italy" A story AAR by @Farsky

• 3Like
Reactions:
Europa Universalis IV

Crusader Kings II

Give 'Em The Ol' Basel Razzle by @Green Rice
The Song of Wessex by @coz1
For The Were No More Worlds To Conquer by @HistoryDude
Before Plantagnet by @JabberJock14

Victoria II

March of The Eagle by @Tom D. it's a collective effort but Tom D. is the one who started it.
Annuntio Vobis by @slothinator

Hearts of Iron IV

The Thorn of the Rose by @stnylan
Rise of Eagles by @Henry v. Keiper
The Black Star by @The Living Hive

Stellaris
The Past of Solar Commonwealth by @Qorten
The Veil of Mind and Empire by @Mr Capitalist

Imperator Rome

Dawn of a new Day by @Jehzir

Other
Civis Romanum Sum by @Bullfilter

I did not see this was relaunched. Thanks for everything @Nikolai !

• 3Like
Reactions: