• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GeneralHannibal

JL Spokesman
7 Badges
Nov 29, 2005
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
Well, after downloading, I had to go to the pool and swim some, but during the hands-off game some interesting stuff happened.

In the beginning the Nigerian Empire claimed the Congo and took them, and India and Persia partitioned Afghanistan. None of the alliances besides the puppet ones were there at game start, so I assume "Natural Allies" mean that they will happen on their own, but I haven't seen any of these pairs fighting each other. Argentina also got their claims. Now fast-forward a year or so and I'll give some screenies.

I particularly liked the partisans that came when Afghanistan was claimed. However, after they were partitioned, they decided to DoW Persia and as a result were reduced to one prov by the peace deal. It does seem a little odd for a nation to cede over 50% of its IC and then Declare War, perhaps they could choose to be submissive or not, if so losing territory and becoming a puppet or if not giving no territory.

Here are some screenshots that I thought were picicularly good, all during about Feb. of 1931.

aussieirelandow1.jpg

Aussies have annexed Ireland, taken Glasgow and Edinburough, and South Africans landed in Belfast. France took the rest of Scotland and annexed Wales.

oregoninjapan2nk1.jpg

Japan has annexed Imperial China, only to face an army from the Republic of Oregon on its Home Isles.

lastlegskl5.jpg

And here you can see 3 nations that are close to dieing, the CSA, French Louisiana and the Colombian Empire. Also can be seen is an Australian Landing in Quebec against what I can only guess was once a Scottish Landing, since the French Alliance and the "Brits in Exile" are not at war.

More will probably come later, perhaps from previous auto-saves (had one every three months).

Oh, and one last thing. It might be a good idea later to make sure that partisans and Yunnan are different colors ;). Had me confused for a moment :D.

I never noticed the color similiarites of Yunnan and partisans.

However, what you see in Quebec and what is also on a Carribean island might be Republic of America's puppet and ally, Republic of Liberia helping out from Africa.
:D

Glad to see it is working.

Look forward to see you as a player fair!

Afghanistan is meant to be crazy, a trap of rebel fanatics and flip-flops. Only three places in the world can act like that each slightly different and each for their own lore.

The trick is to play India or the Persian Empire and fair better than the AI. Also what you see this game will entirely different next game and next generally.

Here is a hilarious picture of Welsh and Irish Paras and another divisions stuck in Central Finland :D

welshinfinlandqu4.jpg

Now, I'll watch this landing and see how it works out (currently playing my first game as Louisiana to get the hang of it before playing as the Sioux.

Then they trek to Helsinki :D
welshinhelsinkiey7.jpg

So how many and what kind of divisions (are they Scottish?) that met the para at Helsinki?

The thing is the Welsh and Irish are both puppet/allies of the Kingdom of Scotland. So I guess she know how to put her puppets to goodly work!!

:cool:

Well GeneralHannibal now that you are playing, I guess I will tonight.
:rofl:

Yukala said:
Well GeneralHannibal now that you are playing, I guess I will tonight.

Post how you do, I want to see how long it takes you to be annexed (or maybe, maybe not, but I doubt it ;)).

Just something I noticed, but since all the tech teams have such high skill, it costs a whole, whole lot of money to run them. Just producing the money is taking a major part of my budget...

GeneralHannibal said:
Just something I noticed, but since all the tech teams have such high skill, it costs a whole, whole lot of money to run them. Just producing the money is taking a major part of my budget...

Yep, in some ways the economy is a little tighter, and you do start out with no money generally. But gosh everyone is so rich and powerful that in a year or two the board will be chuck full of divisions, land, air and sea.

Yukala said:
Yep, in some ways the economy is a little tighter, and you do start out with no money generally. But gosh everyone is so rich and powerful that in a year or two the board will be chuck full of divisions, land, air and sea.

I'm finding it very hard to get enough energy as French Louisiana since I only have one trading partner, and trading efficiency is a little low. I'd personally just suggest lowering their IC some rather than upping their energy and metal though. Anyway, currently have 4 active divs helping France, 1 paras and 3 infantry.

GeneralHannibal said:
Post how you do, I want to see how long it takes you to be annexed (or maybe, maybe not, but I doubt it ;)).

Statistics Tab

Scroll down about on third way down and there find:

Army Unit Modifiers
Naval Unit Modifiers
Air Unit Modifiers

I am playing Imperial Germany. It is only May 3rd 1930.
I am playing from an AI start-up dated 15 January 1930.

I am purposefully restricting myself almost entirely to AI build qued choices. Well I did cancel one line of aircraft as after the cavalry tech was completed so I could use the IC's for upgrading. Though that still only partially funds it. Better a little than nothing.

I am going slow... The economy is tight but doable. At peace I have 233 IC's to fund.

The Kingdom of Sweden just DoW yesterday. So I saved and studied.

So realizing what a perfect trap this highest IC country is. My war time IC jumped to 400 and with it more resources. But, I know that when I invade north it is a potential trap.

Because the Austrian Empire is yet at peace to the south and the Kingdom of Poland to the East. If my I go up north with too much and these two DoW I am cooked. Imperial France is at war in North America, but she would still be formidable with so many puppets. What to do??

In six months to a year I will be DoW'd by one or more of these countries. This is where you hold your breath and hope they also go to war on other fronts.

In Guild Imperium however, wars are feathered in over time, but it is random from game to game. So there is no way to know.
:rofl: :D

Nice job huh? I just kept designing this to beat everyone else. Not myself. :eek:

GeneralHannibal said:
I'm finding it very hard to get enough energy as French Louisiana since I only have one trading partner, and trading efficiency is a little low. I'd personally just suggest lowering their IC some rather than upping their energy and metal though. Anyway, currently have 4 active divs helping France, 1 paras and 3 infantry.

How hard?
The AI's have a better AI to AI trading ratio than you and I have not noticed them having any trouble. But having fun is first consideration, who has energy near by you can steal via war? There is lots of energy up NW of you at the Rockies.

Produce supplies and ask the Republic of America for energy or one the two Native nations. Then attack Texas or CSA. :D

Anyway see you can make a go of it, cause I was thinking not to change anything for a while.

Well I just checked French Louisiana and yep it is a rough go. It was last country borders and IC amended and now I see I forgot to get back to it and raise its resources.

And I never figured about the tech team skill levels raising costs so high.

So,

Here Guild Imperium Beta1 changelog:

Find in db folder the misc.txt file and scroll down to bottom and change the tech skill level cost FROM 0.35 and LOWER to 0.2

Also, if you want to keep playing you can amend the province.csv file province 686 add 250 energy and 150 metal.

Or start over and add to French Louisiana inc. file or the resourc.inc file both located in scenario folder.

Add in only one place. The advantage of the province file is that it changes after reloading and immediately affects the game you are now currently playing, this is also true with changing the misc.txt file. Upon reload you can enjoy the changes with the current game.

However, amending scenario inc files requires restarting for the changes to have effect.

As a point of reference Guild Imperium is generally built to have resources at just enough over-all (a little less here and little more there) when you are maxed out in IC production whether peace-time or war. For war there are greater surpluses but also more hazards to supply.

OK :)

Glad we got that sorted. Also, something I noticed is that units don't usually get supplied through puppets. This is a known problem in HOI2 and I believe is fixed in DD, however, it messes things up when there is no sea or land connection since ground units are attacking in a land-locked area, such as the Rhineland. This can hamper operations a whole lot, and I'm sure its not WAD.

But it can't be changed in HOI2 I believe since it is hardcoded, but it is a reason to port to DD or ARMG.

GeneralHannibal said:
OK :)

Glad we got that sorted. Also, something I noticed is that units don't usually get supplied through puppets. This is a known problem in HOI2 and I believe is fixed in DD, however, it messes things up when there is no sea or land connection since ground units are attacking in a land-locked area, such as the Rhineland. This can hamper operations a whole lot, and I'm sure its not WAD.

But it can't be changed in HOI2 I believe since it is hardcoded, but it is a reason to port to DD or ARMG.

Design wise, Guild Imperium may still be alright in HOI2 (not that I am against porting at some point) for three reasons.

Units do not suffer greatly when cut-off and then slowly so they have time to sort it out. Second the transport planes are tough and used to immediately keep isolated units supplied, even large numbers, especially for Imperial France because she will use everybody's transport planes the moment units get isolated.

And third the AI's are really good at amphibious connections.

You might watch some of this next time you see it and especially when you have troops cut-off. Put together some cavalry and paras and try a deep strike campaign inside mother Russia for instance and see with transport planes how long you can keep it viable.

So basically, in Guild Imperium, 'encirclements only have meaning when you drive it down to one province'. And the AI's will avoid that like a plague.

Yukala said:
Design wise, Guild Imperium may still be alright in HOI2 (not that I am against porting at some point) for three reasons.

Units do not suffer greatly when cut-off and then slowly so they have time to sort it out. Second the transport planes are tough and used to immediately keep isolated units supplied, even large numbers, especially for Imperial France because she will use everybody's transport planes the moment units get isolated.

And third the AI's are really good at amphibious connections.

You might watch some of this next time you see it and especially when you have troops cut-off. Put together some cavalry and paras and try a deep strike campaign inside mother Russia for instance and see with transport planes how long you can keep it viable.

So basically, in Guild Imperium, 'encirclements only have meaning when you drive it down to one province'. And the AI's will avoid that like a plague.

I was just noticing because my own troops were out of supply and were moving very, very slowly. And I might have been using my planes to supply the pocket, but it was an awful lot of troops...

Hey GeneralHannibal, have some courage!!
We are all going to lose and yes I do want to know about it.

But how about getting into full fledged one on one fight?

Like be the Austrian Empire and try to take Imperial Germany or the other way around.

Or go be the Republic of America and get after the Confederate States of America.

Start the wars by May 15th 1930 and go for it.
:cool:

GeneralHannibal said:
I was just noticing because my own troops were out of supply and were moving very, very slowly. And I might have been using my planes to supply the pocket, but it was an awful lot of troops...

Transport planes are worth their weight in gold, build them and use, that's one of the many reasons for high IC and fast build times all around.

Also that particular pocket can be a little bad, I would also open it up to the sea.

Yukala said:
Transport planes are worth their weight in gold, build them and use, that's one of the many reasons for high IC and fast build times all around.

Also that particular pocket can be a little bad, I would also open it up to the sea.

I will. I just need to get used to it first. Then I'm going to try a Russia game :).

Edit: I think I've noticed something. Do nations that stay at peace for to long suffer spontaneous partisin eruptions?

Last edited:
GeneralHannibal said:
I will. I just need to get used to it first. Then I'm going to try a Russia game :).

Ok,

You know that designing around not being able to supply a major through her puppets is mostly accidental in my case. I just ran through the map in my head and see that in most places that does not change things much.

Two big areas though are Imperial France coming through House of Flanders into Imperial Germany, but I have noticed it gets sorted out.

In North America two stand out, Texas going NW into the Republic of Oregon through Deseret and the Sioux Nation generally going south through her puppet Sequoyah.

One sure solution, is to axe the puppet relationship in those situations and just have them be allies. I put in puppets just for the fun of it and to check it out. But they need not be necessarily in all cases. Just minor allies will due nicely.

What do you think?