• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
GeneralHannibal said:
Paras shouldn't be cost effective for any combat. They perhaps should be better than most other units, but not cost-effective.

Well, it is certainly tricky to balance general use of a unit by both AI and player alike. And then here is where the 'tricky' part slips in...

Not have it be a player exploit. Much of what is done to make a working mod is the second part compromising the first part.

But, I am steeled to this process, and this is exactly what beta testers need do with wanton enthusiam.

The mod must be pushed out to it's edges and sometimes it does settle down to a compromise. But I think not yet.

I have been experimenting with AI use of paratroopers now for over nine months. I expect to master it any day now.
:rofl: :cool:

Oh and GeneralHannibal in a mod like this so rich in IC/resources cost comes to be redundant, more often sooner than later. That is why in principle I always favor real handicaps.

Without their transports paratroops are godawful slow. I agree that they should be hindered greatly in forests and jungle but wrt bad weather it should be rain and storms that gives them a hit. IMHO they should be given the same penalties as inf in frozen and such.

Paras should be great in urban and plains, good in hills and desert, ok in mountains and bad in swamps, forests, and jungle.

Basically leave swamps and jungle to the marines.

Also forts become too powerful too fast. I was at a 99% malus vs lvl 5 forts and Austria is surviving because they took Dubrovnik with level 5 forts and there is no way to dislodge them

You should drop some paras on them...

Or bomb their fort away...

lloyd007 said:
Without their transports paratroops are godawful slow. I agree that they should be hindered greatly in forests and jungle but wrt bad weather it should be rain and storms that gives them a hit. IMHO they should be given the same penalties as inf in frozen and such.

Paras should be great in urban and plains, good in hills and desert, ok in mountains and bad in swamps, forests, and jungle.

Basically leave swamps and jungle to the marines.

Also forts become too powerful too fast. I was at a 99% malus vs lvl 5 forts and Austria is surviving because they took Dubrovnik with level 5 forts and there is no way to dislodge them

That is my thinking too and so it is now more poignantly so.

All forts in game start at level 2. If an AI gets one to 5 then that is going to be trouble, but I have seen the AI take them.

Does the ai build any higher? I wouldn't want to face a Maginot France or really any AI that has its entire country forted up to 5 or more all over.

I either encircle level 5 forts or encircle and drop paras on them if its really tough.

lloyd007 said:
Does the ai build any higher? I wouldn't want to face a Maginot France or really any AI that has its entire country forted up to 5 or more all over.

I either encircle level 5 forts or encircle and drop paras on them if its really tough.

They can go to level 10, though I have yet to see it.
:eek:

I have it set on a random priority, so no Maginot line is ever likely.
:D

Some interesting discusion about the Para issue. I have enjoyed them as a unit unto themselves.... but.... even as they stand now they will not conquer the world on their own. The Philipines - Jungled and Islands - killed many of my troops - numerous divisions lost 15-35% strength. The battles against a country that had over 30 marine divisions and also made use of their air force - admittedly only till I could destroy all their airfields, meant that even my naval forces suffered losses.

Paras are the ultimate unit in a wartorn world. I think that they ought to cost more and take more MP. The only new minus I think you need to add is the time it takes for them to be ready for other actions after a drop - maybe make it a week - I could not have even taken China.

therev said:
Some interesting discusion about the Para issue. I have enjoyed them as a unit unto themselves.... but.... even as they stand now they will not conquer the world on their own. The Philipines - Jungled and Islands - killed many of my troops - numerous divisions lost 15-35% strength. The battles against a country that had over 30 marine divisions and also made use of their air force - admittedly only till I could destroy all their airfields, meant that even my naval forces suffered losses.

Paras are the ultimate unit in a wartorn world. I think that they ought to cost more and take more MP. The only new minus I think you need to add is the time it takes for them to be ready for other actions after a drop - maybe make it a week - I could not have even taken China.

Very interesting indeed, thanks.

Much progress is being made. I may have got the game speed back up to zippy.

What do you think of game play speed and computer resource load in beta1?

1934 plays a little faster than 1933 - and I wonder if it might catch a a bit more speed as more countries disolve away.

There are thousands of untis though, and the speed is at about "above normal" for me (even when I am on the fastest setting). I have to remember to slow the game down considerably when it gets to conflict - as it resolves them very quickly.