• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
JFeatherston said:
Got the hoi2.exe and everything in and it still says the milestone thing
:-(

It must be patched up to 1.3a and then at that point have NoTimeLimit mod (provided) place on top the exe. or drag and dropped on.

As well these files need be there with the exe. same folder.

-config.eu
-HOI2.exe (to this add on the NTL mod if not done already)
-HOI2. Desktop application ICON (or short-cut which you rename to Guild Imperium_Beta2, copy and place upon desktop)
-libbz2.dll

Last edited:
Yukala, I have a question about the 25 day wait to combat for ai vs ai wars. Just curious as to your reasons behind this. There are times when, had the ai moved immediately, they could've made significant gains against the country they'd surprised with their DOW. I assume you have a reason and I'm just curious as to what your goal with it was.

VILenin said:
Yukala, I have a question about the 25 day wait to combat for ai vs ai wars. Just curious as to your reasons behind this. There are times when, had the ai moved immediately, they could've made significant gains against the country they'd surprised with their DOW. I assume you have a reason and I'm just curious as to what your goal with it was.

The 25 day ai to ai wait only affects land combat, which is seen mostly as the 'front' moving forward or becoming active. Actually, it is only inhibiting the 'front' portion of the ai.

Air moves, so air bombardment commences immediately. Para drops are considered air and can drop. But cannot be attacked or attack again until the 25 day wait is up. Marines are considered sea so they along with all naval units can immediately engage. This is only with a least one marine in a stack attacking across sea province or landing by sea. Again once there, they too must wait out the 25 days.

So the AI do do advance moves. But an AI front does not move until the full 25 days. I want AI's to be prepared, gaining ground by catching a country 'off-guard' generally only makes the ai's look stupid. (I think)

I also learned alot through all this, seeing which part of the ai controlled what, did what and when control passed from one part of the ai to another.

That said, it looks better overall most of the time, I think. It also forced my hand at dealing with 1 on 1 fronts. Where each ai contestant was at it's best. Do the ai's lock up a lot or wear each down; do they employ more strategies, etc? Do they try to go around? etc, etc. Much better ai's developed cause of all of this.

What I wish most is that this 'restriction' was on the human player!!!!!

But even though not, I figured how to keep the ai's mostly well on guard at home and abroad and to react if possible to surprises.

How does it affect your play?

:eek:

Ok, so it's to give time for the ai to redploy against the threat thus giving a chance to survive a two/multi front engagement?

But even though not, I figured how to keep the ai's mostly well on guard at home and abroad and to react if possible to surprises.

How does it affect your play?
Well, in my games, once an ai nation is well engaged against someone else they've done a pretty crappy job protecting the rest of their borders. I was able to blitz thru Saudi Arabia before they could come to bear against me because the bulk of their army (ie, 80%) was in Palestine invading Khem. I got slowed down by their last pocket around Jerusalem but other than that they didn't put up much of a fight.

The Ottomans and Indians are exhibiting similar behavior, leaving their borders protected by nothing but garrison units while they're fighting a major war somewhere else. It's tempted me to stab them. In fact I was about to attack the Ottomans when something else "distracted" me.

VILenin said:
Ok, so it's to give time for the ai to redploy against the threat thus giving a chance to survive a two/multi front engagement?

Well, in my games, once an ai nation is well engaged against someone else they've done a pretty crappy job protecting the rest of their borders. I was able to blitz thru Saudi Arabia before they could come to bear against me because the bulk of their army (ie, 80%) was in Palestine invading Khem. I got slowed down by their last pocket around Jerusalem but other than that they didn't put up much of a fight.

The Ottomans and Indians are exhibiting similar behavior, leaving their borders protected by nothing but garrison units while they're fighting a major war somewhere else. It's tempted me to stab them. In fact I was about to attack the Ottomans when something else "distracted" me.

Well the Saudis never put up much of a fight anyway. Actually I've found that ai's put up a pretty good second front pretty quickly if they are able to. Shallow nations like SA never get that chance but Great Quebec for example was able to cover all their areas pretty well (before I overran them with sheer numbers). Little countries already fighting will never present much of a challenge though.

edit: You can very much get ahead of the ai wrt armies in 1930 also. Any 'early' wars declared by either you or ai against you are going to be a big winner for you. In 1931 and beyond however is a different story...

Last edited:
This brings up what another idea I would like to think about.

Dividing a 'set-up' time from when the human can engage in wars. To say like 15 November 1930.

Anybody have ideas on how to implement such a scheme?
:cool:

I have had simliar experiences to VILenin.

I have found that if I wait patiently enough after an Ai has DoW'd a country close to me. I can be fairly certain that they will move nearly all their assets towards the threat. They will leave Garrisons - but these are generally easy to overrun (unless the AI has spent time building forts - grrrrrrrr!) In a campaign last night as Ethiopia I had large Italian forces defending against me in Northern Africa. They were not at war woth anyone and had a large army and navy. Some aerial scouting revealed that they had sent all their troops (85% or so) to my border. I know I was the greater threat - but I also think they were planning to attack. It was a simple matter of some marine landings and paradrops to cut the troops in Africa off from their mainland.

The war in africa was hard fought. each with stacks of up to 70 or 80 per province. But the result was never really in question - it was just a matter of time.

Italy is probably not the most relevant AI when examing AI defensive strategies - as it has such a long coast line and no depth. But I found it interesting that the AI had moved such great numbers to one border and left even coastal provinces in Italy unguarded.

Well now all this kind of puts me into 'science fiction mode'.
:D

Admitedly my mods start as perfected ai to ai games, one would probably best enjoy by watching hands-off. :eek:

Much as I do, for that is how they largely come into being.

Then come the humans... er beta testers!
:rofl:

Now what to do?

Catch this...
:rolleyes:

All ai's look like they might go to war, but mostly stay put and just build up...

...waiting ever patiently for a human player to come nearby, then they mysteriously start breaking off their psudo wars and allying with one another. Creating powerful blocs that hem in the expanding human...

Then they 'switch' and go on 'attack only the human mode'. And if an ai is next likely target they turtle down in a rows of level 10 forts.

What do you think?

The AI is quite good but it just can't handle human devised backstabs if they have any force behind them. Heck I dunno if a human could cope either fighting a two front war against two one front nations.

Oh and I got that evil little thing that happens if the ROA takes out the Sioux... :eek:

AI Japan just rocks BTW. No ifs ands or buts. Taking out Mongolia and Imperial China at the same time...

House Rackoszy is also rocking. They've taken out Austria and OE...

lloyd007 said:
The AI is quite good but it just can't handle human devised backstabs if they have any force behind them. Heck I dunno if a human could cope either fighting a two front war against two one front nations.

Oh and I got that evil little thing that happens if the ROA takes out the Sioux... :eek:

AI Japan just rocks BTW. No ifs ands or buts. Taking out Mongolia and Imperial China at the same time...

House Rackoszy is also rocking. They've taken out Austria and OE...

Glad it worked, that Sioux rebellion!

Yes the ai's are good in many ways and situations, but not all. The beta process is shifting my mind-set to a mod that handles human behavior, not so much ai to ai.

Even though only so much can be done with a platform, that limit is still not reached.

What I notice most, is that most humans do not seek out a one to one fair fight, they pointedly seek an angle or leg up. I wonder how much I do it? :eek:

Not like chess just yet.

Thanks for beta testing and feed backing each and all. It is really wonderful.

I would think that the point of your MOD is enjoyment Yukala. I enjoyed last bit of destroying the Italians. I picked on them because they were weak and I was strong.

I think what ever you do, humans will somehow work out game breakers - and then exploiut them for all their worth - its the human thing to do. As it is, I have not posted because I have been having lots f fun playing Beta2.

Pirates and traders taking out countries was a suprise. Seeing Portugal eliminate, SPain then France just took my breath away!

It is a dynamic and fluid MOD, and that makes for an entertaining MOD. Turtled down AIs behind lev 10 forts sound grim and boring. I'd still give it a go - I like a challenge.

therev said:
I would think that the point of your MOD is enjoyment Yukala. I enjoyed last bit of destroying the Italians. I picked on them because they were weak and I was strong.

I think what ever you do, humans will somehow work out game breakers - and then exploiut them for all their worth - its the human thing to do. As it is, I have not posted because I have been having lots f fun playing Beta2.

Pirates and traders taking out countries was a suprise. Seeing Portugal eliminate, SPain then France just took my breath away!

It is a dynamic and fluid MOD, and that makes for an entertaining MOD. Turtled down AIs behind lev 10 forts sound grim and boring. I'd still give it a go - I like a challenge.

Many thanks!!!

Don't worry I will not succumb to 'grim and boring'.

But I do have more ideas to try...

Having neighboring AIs team up against a human player, or any country, once it reaches a 'critical mass' might be a good idea. 'Critical Mass' being a point where it can take on several of its neighbors and probably win/ is a clear threat for domination. Maybe you could make it contingent on VPs or an IC score (don't know if IC for other countries can be a trigger :confused: )

I agree with Therev about the fluid nature of the mod. Any war can turn out a number of surprising ways and every game will be somewhat different from the others. The biggest thing I can think of now that might need changing is getting the AI to disburse its armies a little better and maybe a faster reaction time, in particular to attacks by human players.

VILenin said:
Having neighboring AIs team up against a human player, or any country, once it reaches a 'critical mass' might be a good idea. 'Critical Mass' being a point where it can take on several of its neighbors and probably win/ is a clear threat for domination. Maybe you could make it contingent on VPs or an IC score (don't know if IC for other countries can be a trigger :confused: )

I agree with Therev about the fluid nature of the mod. Any war can turn out a number of surprising ways and every game will be somewhat different from the others. The biggest thing I can think of now that might need changing is getting the AI to disburse its armies a little better and maybe a faster reaction time, in particular to attacks by human players.

Thanks and there is a way to do that faster reaction part. I will look into it, but beware that could make them a devil to deal with.

VP is now perfectly suited as a trigger based on size and control. And can use it more.

Well, I'm probably a masocist for trying to make your AI better at crushing us. :wacko: Maybe try just a different force deployment first and see if that helps.