• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(42223)

Imperial Minister
Mar 28, 2005
Guild Imperium Beta2

I want to go ahead and start this thread as so much has been done since beta1 (my perspective).

So I will start building the 'read-me' of sorts.

And post a few key screen shots and list off the ending check-list which still has a few tasks on it.

Beta1 has largely been successful with a lot of feedback from most beta-testers. Though I seem to have missed getting any from one or two.

Highlights of changes.

The para unit, that are named and themed in Guild Imperium as Imperium Shock Troops were failures in Beta1 both in use and theme.

This my doing and smartly demonstrated by some competent beta testers. They were instead a ‘uber-unit’ like unto HOI1, before they got tweaked. So now I have done the similarly. I was so taken up in having them well utilized by the AI’s in multiple situations ever repeating that I lost sight of human use of the same.

Will see how well Beta2 preserves their goodly AI use and yet curbs most human ‘mis-use’. They are decidedly not meant to carry out campaigns, but to break bottlenecks like take fortress/mountains or mainly by AI used to build bridgeheads for amphib invasions. Which per hands-off testing they still do voraciously now in Beta2 and I have seem them use it to take a garrison level 5 fort. You know all forts starts at level OOB wise so this AI had already turtled up to a level 5 fort. AI can by instructions build to 10, however I have never confirmed any AI fort past level 5.

Next big area is Europe and the introduction of the Guild Fascist. This was a major undertaking involving the careful addition of nine revolter nations that are integrated to appear as one nation. And they do largely. It also involved building and testing well over 150 specialized events organized in a four chains of sorts, because a lot of it is only tied together by similar action not really inter-dependent except game play wise for look and feel.

After this I noticed a 20% plus speed lag, I addressed it overall by three efforts. One was to glue the nine Guild Fascist as one alliance, next was to create more alliance at OOB start. Special note, Guild Imperium, Beta1 is only two independent nations away from going much slower, it is quite fast for what it is actually and plays on most systems anyway. But just add two more at game start and you cross the line so to speak processing wise. That is largely why the game must start with now 19 alliances. So having over 70 countries (it grew and grows) at start has to be down to an effective 45 at start. And as well the number of wars going on at once was and remains toned down, as in, cut to a 1/3 of RiskMod. Additionally I have and am still adding in delayed alliances per some scenario circumstances of chance that again lightens the load six months to 18 months in game time.

These efforts are so successful that the game speeded up and I went ahead and added four nations. One comes only conditions met or by player action, this being Imperial Portugal. At some very careful thought, though I would rather design wise have like Imperial Portugal simply introduced new countries by in game circumstances unfolding (sometimes not) I looked at from the new player perspective of just wanting a lot of easy country player choices at game start. Instead, off a saved game only.

I added some lore to help these countries make sense Guild Imperium theme wise. And with a few alliance events coming in they look like great additions per balance issues.

Kingdom of Brittany, of five provinces only with an IC of 40. Capitol is Brest.

Kingdom of Westfalen, of seven provinces with one north as port, Groningen. 62 IC. Capitol is Essen.

Kingdom of Prussia, of four provinces with Konigsberg as capitol. Has 46 IC.

Now each of these new countries is start in Guild Imperium as minor allies. Some theme outline done.

‘In the middle 1850 as the USA starting to break up north and south, Napoleon the IV took the throne too young and thought to meddle much in the affairs of USA. Already with the rise of Scotland the full breakup and reduction of England to a shadow of her former glory their being much ‘resentment’ with the Imperial France. So though the splitting of USA north and south though peaceful was internationally a messy affair. Some former British operative conspired to ‘get even’ and helped create a revolt in Brittany and some say assonated Napoleon the IV for the ‘mis-deeds’ of his fathers. Who knows but one concession was tied to another and the Republic of Liberia, Confederates States, Republic of America and the new Kingdom of Brittany came of it. The Kingdom of Brittany was in a very precarious position and with the Republic of Liberia allies with the Republic of America out of general necessity.’ This also help ‘seal’ Imperial France’s position of keeping French Louisana and French Quebec, strong, healthy and firmly under her thumb. So now many speculate that the Republic of America and Imperial France are tied to war…’

So, Kingdom of Brittany is a minor ally of the Republic of America.
Kingdom of Westfalen is a minor ally of Imperial Germany and now so is the Kingdom of England.
Kingdom of Prussia is a minor ally of the Kingdom of Poland who guards this prize very jealously.

I broke all land connections between Norseland and Imperial Germany and the whole of the British Isles to mainland Europe. It is now as vanilla HOI.

So now there are some careful entwining here and though the majors are strong each to themselves, Republic of America with now two minors, Imperial France with five minors, Kingdom of Scotland with three minors, and now Imperial Germany with three minors.

Finland is now a minor of the Kingdom and Sweden. Kingdom now has two minors.

Kingdom of Poland has one minor.
House Rakoczy has one minor
Ottoman Empire has two minors
Imperial Russia has one minor.

If the Iberian Empire decides to ‘release’ the Imperial Portugal then she would have one puppet. I have figured how to make this work.

Half of this is same as Beta1 but now in Beta2 things are far more ‘complicated’ as per beginning, especially with introduction of the Guild Fascist, as they, early on turn this precarious ‘balance’ upside down and it varies from game to game…

That is Europe.

Some tweaking here and there around the world.
Some for India.
Philippines are now the minor ally of Empire of Siam.

A few other lose ends still cooking up will detail later.

So at start of playable countries is 77 with 19 alliances. About half are involved in a alliance at start.

The only thing you might want to look at for beta 2 is Imperial Mexico. AI ROA never goes anywhere in any of my test games (either due to France or their own partisan uprisings) and with one exception where they got sucker punched by Oregon they dominate totally and completely. I dunno if this means a major or minor tweak but at the moment they are by far the strongest power relative to their neighbors.

lloyd007 said:
The only thing you might want to look at for beta 2 is Imperial Mexico. AI ROA never goes anywhere in any of my test games (either due to France or their own partisan uprisings) and with one exception where they got sucker punched by Oregon they dominate totally and completely. I dunno if this means a major or minor tweak but at the moment they are by far the strongest power relative to their neighbors.

I own real estate in Mexico.
How can I cut their wealth, cause I was looking for those land prices to rise...
:rofl:

Actually some things have changed the soup in North America from Beta1. And whether it is 'enough' or not don't know.

One, the AI's for some have been tweaked so they are harder to take down. Secondly, peace-time IC modifiers for nearly everyone BUT Mexico is better. So most are getting stronger by war time. Argentinean Empire will ally with Columbian Empire a few months out so in game, when Imperial Mexico wars with the Columbians she will get bogged down more often.

The addition of Guild Fascist in Europe so distracts Imperial France and her European minors that they do not help much in N. America and I have noticed Republic of America surviving game after game now.

Just make sure to make things not happen to predictably, such as the Argentina and Columbia allying every game...

ETA?

GeneralHannibal said:
Just make sure to make things not happen to predictably, such as the Argentina and Columbia allying every game...

ETA?

Ok, GeneralHannibal you're good!
:eek:o

First that alliance is 'certain' to happen at this point cause it is beta but it does vary as to which week within longer time of months. Beyond that I was hoping for some beta feedback as to 'how to put pizaz in South America'. :p

ETA, is that for 'entirely tramatized announcement'?
:D

Yukala said:
Ok, GeneralHannibal you're good!

First that alliance is 'certain' to happen at this point cause it is beta but it does vary as to which week within longer time of months. Beyond that I was hoping for some beta feedback as to 'how to put pizaz in South America'. :p

ETA, is that for 'entirely tramatized announcement'?

It is for estimated time arrival ;) :p

As for alliances, I'd say have Argentina and Columbia as fairly likely to happen, but not certain. And the same with Brazil and Peru. Or Columbia with Brazil or Peru. But leave Argentina without alliance. But I'll give advice when I play...

But seeing as South America doesn't have much IC, I'd say you should let the powers of South America fight for dominance...

GeneralHannibal said:
It is for estimated time arrival ;) :p

As for alliances, I'd say have Argentina and Columbia as fairly likely to happen, but not certain. And the same with Brazil and Peru. Or Columbia with Brazil or Peru. But leave Argentina without alliance. But I'll give advice when I play...

But seeing as South America doesn't have much IC, I'd say you should let the powers of South America fight for dominance...

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of some special configuration, that just cries, 'got to play someone in South America'. oh, and unique of course.

Like a brainstorming session of sorts.

First crazy idea.

One country, with alternating cores on some vast portion of another continent.

Now your turn...

One country (alternating) immune to Guild Fascist?

Events to cause people to find a long-lost secret in the Amazon/Andes (perhaps a nuclear reactor or rocket tech thing)...

Therev's turn...

Guild Imperium Beta2 Checklist:

Guild Imperium Beta2 Checklist:

db files for,

Imperial Portugal
Kingdom of Brittany
Kingdom of Westfalen
Kingdom of Prussia

Fine tweaking each their respective economies

Beta2 Readme. (which I will do in this thread)

Additional Diplo events

There are some experimental events for handling high growth countries.

Only a few in place, more could be added for beta sake.

Now here is a 'can of worms' question:

What do you think of 'exempting AI's from some events designed to nail large empire growth'?

I yet remain, 'against treating AI's different fundamentally than a human player'.

And last of major consequence is an 'awakening of the dead' event chain.

Some of it is in and boy is it 'wicked'.
:eek:

Put off to Beta3

More with Imperial uprisings
New 'releasable nations'
Guild Fascist for Asia
Guild Fascist for N. America
More work on Armed Traders (a little was done, very little)
More work on Pirates (again only a very little was done)
Work on The Watchers
Work of the background lore (a little more is done)

Iffy

South America Unites event chain
I am beginning to 'warm up' to this idea as it could be triggered by a sharp vp rise in Imperial Mexico and due to 'location' would likely confront a powerful Imperial Mexico.

Last edited:
If you could maybe you should put an anti manpower modifier of Africa by event as each nation has so many cores if they conquer another African country they get massive manpower. With all her cores Ethiopia gets around 5mp per turn with just the starting ag tech researched. Either that or give them extra MP to start and then hamstring them MPwise such that they have to do some heavy researching to get them 'in the black'

Although to be truthful manpower is never really a concern for any nation aside from a minor... so maybe I'm making up a phantom problem...

lloyd007 said:
If you could maybe you should put an anti manpower modifier of Africa by event as each nation has so many cores if they conquer another African country they get massive manpower. With all her cores Ethiopia gets around 5mp per turn with just the starting ag tech researched. Either that or give them extra MP to start and then hamstring them MPwise such that they have to do some heavy researching to get them 'in the black'

Although to be truthful manpower is never really a concern for any nation aside from a minor... so maybe I'm making up a phantom problem...

Considering my love of ghosts :eek: this may be my favorite 'kind of problem'.

Well, one thing with Africa as is, that when you play a country near them in Europe or Asia, you will constantly keep an eye on a 'potential horde' erupting out of Africa!!!

This is my general idea, as Africa is not a constant choice for players and even so their is always some large contenders unfolding in Europe.

Now I have an experimental War event chain for Sioux Nation as they are such a long shot that coreographs their more systematic rise to conquer the whole of N. America.

Now for Africa I have the idea of once an country there goes nova a similiar event chain is triggered that impels them to conquer Europe et al.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Sound like it will either work well or not at all... ie African nation X gets humbled by Europe, stomps them all flat with 800 divisions or never leaves the continent and there is nothing but a staring contest....

Still it will take any AI a while to get through Africa as they are all bloodthirsty barbarians down there and not many humans play Africa. :D

edit: the way it's set up any human European player would have quite a challenge facing 'the hordes or Mordor' :eek:

lloyd007 said:
Sound like it will either work well or not at all... ie African nation X gets humbled by Europe, stomps them all flat with 800 divisions or never leaves the continent and there is nothing but a staring contest....

Still it will take any AI a while to get through Africa as they are all bloodthirsty barbarians down there and not many humans play Africa. :D

edit: the way it's set up any human European player would have quite a challenge facing 'the hordes or Mordor' :eek:

:D yep, I think that sums up nicely the feeling I was looking for.

Now for South America.

This idea has matured yet some more in last hour or so and I think it will fly. Fairly simple to implement, yet unique to the rest of the world. And might even integrate nicely, especially to handle a more powerful N. America earlier rather than later.

There are 218 vp in S. America spread out evenly by province, urban and capitol.

I propose a horse race of sorts:

The first one of the major four (not minor Guyana Republic) who succeed in 'doubling their VP' triggers an inherit event that where they immediately absorb the other three entirely (what is left of them and the minor if still extant). So creating an United South America of first one country or another from game to game. Sometimes this can happen fairly soon, other times not for a long while. (I have this event chain working elsewhere but disabled in Beta1)

What do you all think?

I would have to put some safety lines in the events that implement a 'time delay' and check if some sneaky human has just used para to capture key provinces only.

Gosh if humans could be counted on to just behave it would not 'complicate' event making so...
:p

Addendum: Hell with NOT if OR triggers and duplicate event strings. It will be 60% of VP control of South America by one the four principle countries 'located there'.

So if you somehow cornered control of all other capitols/urban centers you still additionally need control five more provinces if you were playing the Brazilian Empire but need control 37 more if playing the Peruvian Empire. So even though seeming easier for the Brazilian player, it is not so easy to defend against three sides at once, which is what you would have to do.

Seems balanced.
Beta testers will know and prove however.

Last edited:
lloyd007 said:
Brazil's Jungle provinces should maybe be 100% infra because unlike Africa it is very easy for the ai to become hung up and lose all their troops in those huge jungle provinces.

Great suggestion, and that would also be a handy contrast to other continents where in Europe particularily I keep nipping all 100% infra back down to 80% even if they are urban.

Yukala said:
Great suggestion, and that would also be a handy contrast to other continents where in Europe particularily I keep nipping all 100% infra back down to 80% even if they are urban.
The main focus should be advancing down the coasts anyway, no?

Anyway, I'm going to start up an Argentina game where Imperial China, Ethiopia, Mongolia and Russia all have all of their cores. Let's see how this goes...

GeneralHannibal said:
Anyway, I'm going to start up an Argentina game where Imperial China, Ethiopia, Mongolia and Russia all have all of their cores. Let's see how this goes...

Sounds like a great experiment, will be interesting to see how powerful those AI's get with so many cores.

I guess if you are going to play the Argentinean Empire you ought to be 'safe enough' hidden down there in corner.

I have one little player hint. MAKE DEMANDS on those cores you have as Argentina!!!
:cool:

Trust me... ;)

GeneralHannibal said:
The main focus should be advancing down the coasts anyway, no?..

This is a good point, gosh how quick we are.

Maybe hide some vp in upper waters of the Amazon. There is some there but with a mother load of some resource and vp it could be tempting, if not required in some circumstances...

Yukala said:
Sounds like a great experiment, will be interesting to see how powerful those AI's get with so many cores.

I guess if you are going to play the Argentinean Empire you ought to be 'safe enough' hidden down there in corner.

I have one little player hint. MAKE DEMANDS on those cores you have as Argentina!!!
:cool:

Trust me... ;)

I gave up on Argentina, but decided to play the RoA to give myself a chance. Was beating the CSA (with French help) and then the game crashed and I had no auto-saves. But Ethiopia was a monster!

GeneralHannibal said:
I gave up on Argentina, but decided to play the RoA to give myself a chance. Was beating the CSA (with French help) and then the game crashed and I had no auto-saves. But Ethiopia was a monster!

um.. that 'no auto-saves' is a bit risky even for my mod.

So a, do tell, did you try the demand claims with the good ole Argentinean Empire?

Er, before you got trampled over that is...