• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

I would like to start modding Paradox games if only I knew how!

• True

Votes: 1.716 70,6%
  • False

Votes: 82 3,4%
  • I've already started modding!

Votes: 634 26,1%

• Total voters
How does one edit the names of Characters so that you can add Custom characters, thinking of doing a AAR and i want to include people into it.. But Not by simplely having children and naming them.. I want to be able to add those chars into the AAR on my own. Is that possible ?

also how do i edit the names of council positions ?

The only issue I really have is Creating Valid place holders . And the to Auto-create place holders for Baronies. Some guy in Italy will nullify Temple holdings through out the map and I dont know Why . The Place holder is a different religion and culture and different liege. But this my Is issue in my Current Mob

The only issue I really have is Creating Valid place holders . And the to Auto-create place holders for Baronies. Some guy in Italy will nullify Temple holdings through out the map and I dont know Why . The Place holder is a different religion and culture and different liege. But this my Is issue in my Current Mob
Placeholders for what? Characters? It would be easier for me to explain if I knew what you are referring to.

Placeholders for what? Characters? It would be easier for me to explain if I knew what you are referring to.
when you got blacked out unplayable county. When modding you need yo put a place holding i there. I ve look every were for a Tutorial and cant find one. Most of the problem its with the ID number of the character.

when you got blacked out unplayable county. When modding you need yo put a place holding i there. I ve look every were for a Tutorial and cant find one. Most of the problem its with the ID number of the character.

Oh I totally get you. I have done that two different ways both of which work. You really just need a fictional character with an authentic name.
I always either:
  1. Load the game as someone else and type in char info. Then I can create a new character in the history files that is exactly the same (he'll probably need his own dynasty).
  2. Often easier than going thru the process of loading the whole game is the other option: Come up with a first name you want to use. If you have a specific name you want to use great, otherwise common\cultures\00_cultures.txt file has a helpful list of historical names from any culture. Just ctrl+f on the culture's name to find the list and pick one of those names. Then you need a dynasty. You can either find a pre-existing one in the common\dynasties\00_dynasties.txt file by ctrl+f on the desired culture and then ctrl+f on each of the dynasty ids for that culture within the culture's character history file. That checks to see if it's already used; I generally prefer to use ones that aren't already used.
If there aren't any you like I generally look at what the cultures.txt file says how the culture's random dynasties names are generated. It's typically either named after a place inhabited (of [blank], of being in their native language) by the culture or a man of the culture. To do this, I will either find what it has as the appropriate translation of "of" or use any online source such as Google Translate and then select one of the holdings in the area this ruler will be ruling in. All holdings are listed in the landed_titles.txt file and can be searched using ctrl+f once you open it, just like any other text file. An example of this is af Husavik as a Norse dynasty ruling in c_austisland (Iceland). An alternative dynasty naming system uses the name of the founder and would be translated roughly as "son-of". In Spanish this is [name]-"ez". The suffix can be found in the cultures.txt file as a previously mentioned. An example of this is kurê Feriburz, named after Satrap Feriburz of Kabulistan (in Afghanistan). Both of the names of these dynasties have functioning characters in a mod I am in the process of improving.

Then, in addition to their first name and dynasty (basically their last name), each character should have at the bare minimum a culture, religion, birth date and death date. You may also want to add parents and/or traits. Vanilla files provide great example/template characters.
Does all of that make sense? It's really much simpler once you get the hang of it!​

Oh I totally get you. I have done that two different ways both of which work. You really just need a fictional character with an authentic name.
I always either:
  1. Load the game as someone else and type in char info. Then I can create a new character in the history files that is exactly the same (he'll probably need his own dynasty).
  2. Often easier than going thru the process of loading the whole game is the other option: Come up with a first name you want to use. If you have a specific name you want to use great, otherwise common\cultures\00_cultures.txt file has a helpful list of historical names from any culture. Just ctrl+f on the culture's name to find the list and pick one of those names. Then you need a dynasty. You can either find a pre-existing one in the common\dynasties\00_dynasties.txt file by ctrl+f on the desired culture and then ctrl+f on each of the dynasty ids for that culture within the culture's character history file. That checks to see if it's already used; I generally prefer to use ones that aren't already used.
If there aren't any you like I generally look at what the cultures.txt file says how the culture's random dynasties names are generated. It's typically either named after a place inhabited (of [blank], of being in their native language) by the culture or a man of the culture. To do this, I will either find what it has as the appropriate translation of "of" or use any online source such as Google Translate and then select one of the holdings in the area this ruler will be ruling in. All holdings are listed in the landed_titles.txt file and can be searched using ctrl+f once you open it, just like any other text file. An example of this is af Husavik as a Norse dynasty ruling in c_austisland (Iceland). An alternative dynasty naming system uses the name of the founder and would be translated roughly as "son-of". In Spanish this is [name]-"ez". The suffix can be found in the cultures.txt file as a previously mentioned. An example of this is kurê Feriburz, named after Satrap Feriburz of Kabulistan (in Afghanistan). Both of the names of these dynasties have functioning characters in a mod I am in the process of improving.

Then, in addition to their first name and dynasty (basically their last name), each character should have at the bare minimum a culture, religion, birth date and death date. You may also want to add parents and/or traits. Vanilla files provide great example/template characters.
Does all of that make sense? It's really much simpler once you get the hang of it!​
so start up the game. Pick a playable Toon. Then start game. The game random populates the rest of map.
Use the info from the portrait and edit the Characters\ (culture.txt files for his or her culture?) and save it as a copy in my Mob folder? (dont overright the vanilla file?
That correct?

That sounds correct. I assume "Mob" is a typo for "Mod". When you say overright, I think you mean editing the vanilla file directly in the vanilla directory, which is not what you want to do. As you said, you want to make a copy which will override the vanilla file. And make sure it's the [any given culture].txt in the history\characters folder, rather than the 00_cultures.txt in the common\cultures.

That sounds correct. I assume "Mob" is a typo for "Mod". When you say overright, I think you mean editing the vanilla file directly in the vanilla directory, which is not what you want to do. As you said, you want to make a copy which will override the vanilla file. And make sure it's the [any given culture].txt in the history\characters folder, rather than the 00_cultures.txt in the common\cultures.
LOL Little dysgraphia there !!

I am working on a re-scale of the vanilla user interface. I was going to provide new fonts + all the modded gui files to achieve this plus a python script that would use gimp to re-scale all *.dds/*.tga gfx assets. The python script would unpack dlc zips, and scale those gfx assets as well. Can I release this mod? Are there any rules for mods that I can reference?

I am working on a re-scale of the vanilla user interface. I was going to provide new fonts + all the modded gui files to achieve this plus a python script that would use gimp to re-scale all *.dds/*.tga gfx assets. The python script would unpack dlc zips, and scale those gfx assets as well. Can I release this mod? Are there any rules for mods that I can reference?
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...user-made-mods-and-edits-of-pds-games.708039/

These are the rule for what one can and cannot do with regards to mods for Paradox Development Studio games.

7) Mods created with content owned by Paradox Interactive must be made so that they will only be usable by players who have the corresponding game or DLC installed. If this requirement is beyond the technical ability of the particular mod maker (or it is impossible due to the nature of said mod) then they cannot be used.

13) Bonus step - Upload your mod to Steam!

Now you’ve made your awesome event mod, you might want to upload it to Steam to share with your friends. Uploading your mod to Steam simply requires launching the game and clicking a few buttons…

1. On the title screen of the game, click ‘Content’.

2. Now click on the ‘MOD’ tab.

3. Next to your mod, you should be able to click on a button named ‘Manage’.

4. Enter a description for your mod in the text box.

5. Click ‘Publish’!

So post install of mod, users will be able to create gfx assets using provided python script. This will increase the mod size from 29 Megs to just over 2 Gigs. Do I need to be concerned that someone using the mod can now publish modified Paradox gfx assets (DLC assets included)?

So post install of mod, users will be able to create gfx assets using provided python script. This will increase the mod size from 29 Megs to just over 2 Gigs. Do I need to be concerned that someone using the mod can now publish modified Paradox gfx assets (DLC assets included)?
I would direct all questions to @Castellon over in that thread as he is likely to have better answers than me.

But from what I can gather, if your mod unpacks DLC assets and lets a Workshop subscriber use them without it being able to check that the subscriber already has those DLCs and can fully use them then I think that goes against the rule you quoted.

But don't quote me on that, as I said post your question in the thread I linked and hopefully someone with more knowledge than I can get back to you.

Publish to Steam question: My 'manage' button is grayed out in the game for my mod. How do I go about enabling that button?

Also my mod has additional files that are needed in order to complete the installation. Those additional files reside in the mod directory (a readme, a python script, a batch file). When I do publish how do I get those files uploaded to steam workshop as part of the mod?

During publishing I would like it to ignore the post-install generated directories how do I go about doing that? I could just moves those directories out of the mod directory before publishing, but I wanted to know if there is another way.

PS: @blackninja9939, thanks for your help on previous questions!

Publish to Steam question: My 'manage' button is grayed out in the game for my mod. How do I go about enabling that button?

Also my mod has additional files that are needed in order to complete the installation. Those additional files reside in the mod directory (a readme, a python script, a batch file). When I do publish how do I get those files uploaded to steam workshop as part of the mod?

During publishing I would like it to ignore the post-install generated directories how do I go about doing that? I could just moves those directories out of the mod directory before publishing, but I wanted to know if there is another way.

You need to enable Steam Cloud Synch globally and for CK2 game (Steam -> Settings -> Cloud -> Enable cloud sync).
All the files part of the "path" folder specified in .mod file will get zipped: just put what you need in there, remove what you don't need.

i created a basic mod but it is not popping up in the launcher i made the mod folder created another folder in there called my mod and then a my mod.mod and put the text inside as text but nothing pops up in the launcher could use some help to figure out what im doing wrong

i created a basic mod but it is not popping up in the launcher i made the mod folder created another folder in there called my mod and then a my mod.mod and put the text inside as text but nothing pops up in the launcher could use some help to figure out what im doing wrong

While it's explained in here http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Modding#Mod_structure (see "Small mod" example for the *.mod file),
if it doesn't even show up in the Mod tab, your Windows settings in Explorer are likely set to hide extensions, so the mod file
you created might actually be a *.mod.txt. Make extensions shown and get rid of the .txt part. A common beginner issue.

Download the example mod in the opening post and compare.
Notepad++ is recommended.

i double checked and it is a .mod file it even gives the warning for changing file type and the icon switches to a movie type icon even in the properties of it and inside the mod folder for ck2 i have abother folder for the mod with some small changes to a religion already in the files and then i have the .mod file with the text of
name - "hellenic mod"
path - "mod/hellenic mod"

yet on launcher nothing is popping up i watched a video and he said this should be good and i know the post here says to have an image but i didnt see anything about making the image or tags and didnt know if it was completely necessary or if the two lines i have would suffice

image or tags and didnt know if it was completely necessary or if the two lines i have would suffice

An image or tags are not necessary. Only recommended for if you upload it to the Workshop.
Again, compare it to the mod in the opening post regarding the load issue.
What you realy need is name and path. That's it.

If you are doing your own mod, ask in one of the threads in the modification subforum
or start your own thread there...and upload your mod there to make it easier and quicker to fix.

Last edited: