guide to royal marriages, personal unions and claim throne.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
i have never seen a muslim country go in a PU with anyone. I thought they can't even have disputed succesion, since they got 100% heir chance (harems, you know). Maybe they changed that though.

What i do see lot is pretender rebels after weak claim heir.

i have never seen a muslim country go in a PU with anyone. I thought they can't even have disputed succesion, since they got 100% heir chance (harems, you know). Maybe they changed that though.

What i do see lot is pretender rebels after weak claim heir.

I've only seen a Muslim PU once. I was playing Tims and fell into a junior PU with Ottos. I thought it was pretty bizarre because I thought the nature of hordes made it such that this could never happen. Apparently I was wrong.

I've seen a couple of screenies of people being able to get a PU with the Ottomans as Granada or Tunisia lol. It's really based on luck though, because the Ottomans start off with a 12 year old ruler who they make into a general and no heir.

I've seen a couple of screenies of people being able to get a PU with the Ottomans as Granada or Tunisia lol. It's really based on luck though, because the Ottomans start off with a 12 year old ruler who they make into a general and no heir.

i thought muslim countries get 100% heir chance and cannot get PU because of it.

Maybe their gets killed and an heir from RM partners becomes heir?

Or is my assumption that muslim countries always get an heir, wrong?

what about asian nations? Has anyone ever seen a PU between two nations there?

:D This is amazing. Now I know how Russia and Great Britain keep dodging a PU under me (Germany). They are somehow always beating on a horde/native american when their ruler dies.

heh, glad to help. EU4 is full of hidden mechanics.

Just warn all of them! See what happens..

i thought muslim countries get 100% heir chance and cannot get PU because of it.

Maybe their gets killed and an heir from RM partners becomes heir?

Or is my assumption that muslim countries always get an heir, wrong?

what about asian nations? Has anyone ever seen a PU between two nations there?

Its unlikely because of the heir boost, but it can happen.

Its unlikely because of the heir boost, but it can happen.

good to know. I'll try making screenie when i see it happen :)

I seen Timmies first PU the Golden Horde, then Kazan.

Yes, it can happen indeed.

i didn't even know hordes could end up in PU. :D

How can we use elective monarchy at our advantage ? Does Polish player reclaim the throne of his king's natal land ? Is there a way to PU Poland, as we cannot claim its throne ?
Is there a way to reclaim the throne of a smae dynasty country that refuses RM ? (Like Hngary with austria in 1444)

Last edited:
afaik you can't put an elective monarchy into a PU. But isn't it an event for poland, only to see in few games?

if you get refusal as Austria vs Hungary.. they are likely outraged at you. I wouldn't know why they wouldn't accept. I put countries with -200 opinion of me in a RM, and they weren't even neighbours.

Austria also gets event mission to put Hungary, bohemia and burgundy in a pu i think.

Hungary sees me as a rival, so it's harder to get a RM. I know i can get a mission, but my question was more about theory. (There's the same problem for Castile-Aragon, but once again there's an event... that doesn't always fire)
Thx for answers :)

Can you PU a country from a different tech group that can't normally be vassalized?

Example: Kongo turns catholic from an event. Can you then get PU with them?

And PU muslim countries is probably harder because they get the 100% heir bonus. But like the OP stated in the guide, once you claim throne you declare war with the cassus belli right away!

How do you get your dynasty on the throne of those countries though?

Important Question:
Can you explain religious ideas with that 0diplo cost for annexing? Does that mean you don't pay 15diplo points per base tax?
Does that work with vassals?

Last edited:
Can you PU a country from a different tech group that can't normally be vassalized?

Important Question:
Can you explain religious ideas with that 0diplo cost for annexing? Does that mean you don't pay 15diplo points per base tax?
Does that work with vassals?

if you dow with religious cb, you can ask the targetted country provinces and the ones from allies for 0 diplo cost in peace deal. if an ally is less then 100 warscore (like 94% to make them into vasssal for example) you can ask for *all* this ally his provinces, wiping that country out.

With this religious cb you basically look for small heretic or infidel countries considting of one province, and occupy all ther allies land. If one of those allies is small enough, you can ust wie 'm off map asking for all their rovinces.

This is NOT possible with regular conquest cb, since you can either ask for an ally his capital or all rest.

Example: salzburg is reformed religion and has ally Bosnia. You dow on salzburg, occuy whole Bosnia , and ask for entire Bosnia in peace deal, wiping them off map( you gott ask for provinces, making 'm vassal will still cost diplo points)

Warleader cannot change from salzburg to Bosnia.. So basically this reiligious CB works wonders to keep wars small.

Hoe that clears it up a bit.

Wow, religious ideas seems a bit overpowered now.

So do their allies have to be a different religion as well?

Hungary sees me as a rival, so it's harder to get a RM. I know i can get a mission, but my question was more about theory. (There's the same problem for Castile-Aragon, but once again there's an event... that doesn't always fire)
Thx for answers :)

If you're playing as Austria, just keep restarting until Hungary isn't your rival. A majority of the time they will have you rivalled on day 1, but occasionally they won't and they'll RM you. If you can RM them then you have two bites at the apple to PU them. You can either use the mission or there will be an event that kicks off between 1450 and 1457 (I believe) when the minor king is about to reach majority if you get into an RM. Either Hungary will allow the Hapsburg minor king ascend to the throne (where you can later Claim Throne at some point) or the regent will depose the minor king and you'll get an automatic Restoration of Union CB.

Wow, religious ideas seems a bit overpowered now.

So do their allies have to be a different religion as well?

no. the idea is to find a heretic or heathen OPM with allies (like OPM salzburg is reformed, and bosnia, their ally is catholic. Then warleader cannot change, the warleader will be the OPM. Its great way to avoid cascading ally calls. You keep wars small this way.

added a bit more explanation on this in the guide.

Last edited:
I read the guide but I did not fully understand it.

This statement appears to be wrong "Royal marriage: If two countries have the same dynasty [needs verification] and a royal marriage and the ruler in one of the nations dies without an heir, the other country will gain a personal union if it has higher prestige than the other country and anyone else with the same dynasty and a royal marriage. If another country has the same Dynasty and claimed throne then a succession war will start."

This is an image of the current situation. Should I claim the throne here?