Guide on how to write an 'Imperator is dead' thread

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The HOI4 community is the worst of any PDS game by far, I actively avoid the HOI4 forums for that reason. Which is a shame, because I actually enjoy paying HOI4 a lot.
For someone who is out of the loop, what is in that dev diary that triggered people that much? I've never seen a dev diary with so many dislikes

For someone who is out of the loop, what is in that dev diary that triggered people that much? I've never seen a dev diary with so many dislikes

A combination of a few things:
  • A lot of HOI4 players don't like the whacky, alt-history paths that have been added in recent patches. And by this I mean, going by the forum response, they are about as popular as mana was in Imperator.
  • The latest Poland rework adds some of the most absurd alt-history paths yet. You can unite Poland and Romania to form the Kingdom of Poland-Romania for example. Compared to that restoring the Holy Roman Empire is downright realistic... And unlike HRE restoration - which is so difficult it's basically an easter egg - forming Poland-Romania is just a few button presses away.
  • It further buffs Poland, a country already perceived to be more powerful than it should be, and which many HOI4 players view only as food for Germany and the Soviet Union. The bonuses that Poland now gets are truly massive, think borderline Jan Mayen level. This makes some sense since Poland needs strong bonuses to be able to stand up to Germany/the USSR. But then again, many players don't think that Poland should be able to stand up to its neighbours...
  • Buffing Poland in this way is viewed as particularly problematic because Poland "needs" to lose if you want any chance of a semi-historical course for WW2. Again, a perceived lack of historical outcomes is already a mayor concern for many HOI4 players.
  • Poland is getting a rework for its focus tree before many mayor countries, this is despite the perception that the Polish focus tree was the lowest priority of all the focus trees in the launch version. (IIRC the original Polish tree was what the devs worked on after the initial launch version was locked, and all the original Poland content was thrown in as a free day-one DLC)
  • The Polish tree was already seen as the "problem child" of the original trees. With historical focuses of Poland would regularly form its own faction and completely derail the historical course of WW2. Instead of addressing this issue, the new tree seems to be designed around the idea of "Let's have more of that!". Of course you can turn on historical focuses, but then the entire world gets locked into historical focuses, which might not be what players want either.
  • Finally, Poland is getting all these reworks and bonuses when several mayor countries (e.g. Italy) are perceived as underpowered, with outdated content.

If you ask me personally, I think some of these concerns are valid (though I don't personally feel very strongly about them).
The problem is less that the complaints themselves are unreasonable, and more that the HOI4 community seems unable to make their opinions known without resorting to shouting and personal attack on the development team...

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
  • A lot of HOI4 players don't like the whacky, alt-history paths that have been added in recent patches. And by this I mean, going by the forum response, they are about as popular as mana was in Imperator.
  • The latest Poland rework adds some of the most absurd alt-history paths yet. You can unite Poland and Romania to form the Kingdom of Poland-Romania for example. Compared to that restoring the Holy Roman Empire is downright realistic... And unlike HRE restoration - which is so difficult it's basically an easter egg - forming Poland-Romania is just a few button presses away.
  • It further buffs Poland, a country already perceived to be more powerful than it should be, and which many HOI4 players view only as food for Germany and the Soviet Union. The bonuses that Poland now gets are truly massive, think borderline Jan Mayen level. This makes some sense since Poland needs strong bonuses to be able to stand up to Germany/the USSR. But then again, many players don't think that Poland should be able to stand up to its neighbours...
  • Buffing Poland in this way is viewed as particularly problematic because "needs" to lose if you want any chance of a semi-historical course for WW2. Again, a perceived lack of historical outcomes is already a mayor concern for many HOI4 players.
  • Poland is getting a rework for its focus tree before many mayor countries, this is despite the perception that the Polish focus tree was the lowest priority of all the focus trees in the launch version. (IIRC the original Polish tree was what the devs worked on after the initial launch version was locked, and all the original Poland content was thrown in as a free day-one DLC)
  • The Polish tree was already seen as the "problem child" of the original trees. With historical focuses of Poland would regularly form its own faction and completely derail the historical course of WW2. Instead of addressing this issue, the new tree seems to be designed around the idea of "Let's have more of that!". Of course you can turn on historical focuses, but then the entire world gets locked into historical focuses, which might not be what players want either.
  • Finally, Poland is getting all these reworks and bonuses when several mayor countries (e.g. Italy) are perceived as underpowered, with outdated content.

If you ask me personally, I think some of these concerns are valid (though I don't personally feel very strongly about them).
The problem is less that the complaints themselves are unreasonable, and more that the HOI4 community seems unable to make their opinions known without resorting to shouting and personal attack on the development team...

So, a lot of the standard type of complaints for historical strategy games exacerbated by it being modern history that people have strong opinions on?

Reactions:
So, a lot of the standard type of complaints for historical strategy games exacerbated by it being modern history that people have strong opinions on?

Pretty much.

Except further exaggerated because a) HOI4 covers a time-span of only a few years and b) roughly half of the HOI4 community views the game as a WW2-reenactment software, rather than as a sandbox.

(It's one thing to see England go from backwater island country to global empire over EU4's 400 years time span. It's an entirely different thing to see Switzerland pull of a world conquest in less time than it took PDS to add a go-to-province button to one of their games.

• 9Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
  • Buffing Poland in this way is viewed as particularly problematic because "needs" to lose if you want any chance of a semi-historical course for WW2. Again, a perceived lack of historical outcomes is already a mayor concern for many HOI4 players.

Speaking in I:R tags, is Poland to Germany/SU like Boi to Rome or more like Epirus to Rome? Or even something else?

I find it funny and ironic that this mirrors quite accurately the way that the various rulers Russia, Prussia/Germany and Austria/Hungary have viewed Poland for the last 400 years or so... Maybe some people just can't let go?

• 4Haha
Reactions:
In the discordant spirit of rhetoric & thesis shifting doom-threading, I've taken your template and applied it to Stellaris.

I love Stellaris, the game has came a long way since the release! Dick has been an amazing patch but from what I understand, and I am not exo-xenophobic, that lag still confounds the builder in me. Thanks to my masters degrees in business administration I know the game could, in fact, make so much more money without the lag. I, for one would love to pay the funding, buy the patch & become the crisis (other than the crisis taking several months to play due to the lag). With the knowledge coming from my Master's concentration in marketing, I can't really explain why Stellaris is a part of PDXcon and Imperator is not. I'm thinking it could be Romanophobia or perhaps a religious thing due to the HELL part of Hellenism. The high number of STEAM players relative to the low Imperator count also confounds me (mostly due to the objectively superior Imperator Rome design). I'd also like to point out that precious game resources could be used for Imperator but are instead devoted to Lag Inc. (perhaps the nefarious work of an intergalactic syndicate). Clearly the devs should have anticipated the flaw in the diamond created @ the genesis of the game and steered a different course! If I were running the show @ Stellaris I'd scrap it, and begin work immediately on a game that would not lag. Furthermore, I'd base it on the Imperator model. It must be Johan's fault. Note to self: I think my second MBA concentration (executive management) may be shining through here as I have no idea if Johan even work on the project. I still have hopes, but the future looks really grim.

The last thing I'd like to know is why I'm writing about Stellaris on an Imperator doom thread.

Coming back from the absurd, I actually can't play Stellaris due to the lag and like Imperator's wide/tallish build game.
I'd bet the Leviathon wonkyness is caused by layer upon layer of coding that was patched and rewonkified due to the update. EU4 is clearly an inferior system that was never meant for such a long lifespan. The leviathon resources could have been devoted to a modern design (Imperator Rome) with a realistic shot at being a viable everlasting gobstopper (endless updates without wonky game-destroying bugs ).

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about but thought I'd post anyway b/c it's a doomthread.

• 14Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I hope the ratings of the recent expansions encourage a few people to give Imperator another try...

IR_LESS_THAN_THREE.jpg

And yes, I know this is comparing apples to oranges. But still, clearly the Arheo and the entire IR dev time can be very proud of their work.

• 5Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I'd bet the Leviathon wonkyness is caused by layer upon layer of coding that was patched and rewonkified due to the update. EU4 is clearly an inferior system that was never meant for such a long lifespan. The leviathon resources could have been devoted to a modern design (Imperator Rome) with a realistic shot at being a viable everlasting gobstopper (endless updates without wonky game-destroying bugs ).

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about but thought I'd post anyway b/c it's a doomthread.

As a developer, I will work from this moment to the day I retire to introduce the technical label of "rewonkify" for the act of updating or changing a system or piece of software that has been deployed to production. It's just too good a term to not have a place in the IT-business.

• 4Like
  • 4Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:

It's time for EUV, that's what I think of EUIV.

Stop milking the fan-base and make a new game, they've piled so many mechanics, modifiers and systems on top of countess other mechanics, modifiers and systems, they don't know where they are with it, or how to fix it, and it's just creaks like hell, it's like one of those poor donkeys you see on the charity adverts trying to carry too many bricks up the dusty old cart track...

Put it out to pasture and give us something new, it's really old and tired now. I've had 3,000 hours out of it, but I can't get past the loading screen any more without groaning....

No mas!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, judging by the EUIV forum it looks like my poor old Donkey finally collapsed!

:)

Reactions:

It's time for EUV, that's what I think of EUIV.

Stop milking the fan-base and make a new game, they've piled so many mechanics, modifiers and systems on top of countess other mechanics, modifiers and systems, they don't know where they are with it, or how to fix it, and it's just creaks like hell, it's like one of those poor donkeys you see on the charity adverts trying to carry too many bricks up the dusty old cart track...

Put it out to pasture and give us something new, it's really old and tired now. I've had 3,000 hours out of it, but I can't get past the loading screen any more without groaning....

No mas!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, judging by the EUIV forum it looks like my poor old Donkey finally collapsed!

:)

I honestly agree. The reasons given as well for a lack of a new game coming out have been utterly absurd too.

"We just don't feel we need to because this works", or something along those lines.
Very hard as a fan of the products this company makes to stomach that explanation.

Reactions:
I honestly agree. The reasons given as well for a lack of a new game coming out have been utterly absurd too.

"We just don't feel we need to because this works", or something along those lines.
Very hard as a fan of the products this company makes to stomach that explanation.

Roughly translated as "We can still milk EUIV for all its worth seeing as everyone blindly pre-ordered our disaster Emporer DLC, and they've encouraged us further down this path as they've pre-ordered our half-baked mess Leviathan as well".

I was out on EUIV a long time ago than thankfully.

Reactions:
Slightly off-topic (but not much): I had a look at EUIV after reading about the problems with the latest DLC. I think I played once with a friend years ago, don't really know the game. But I was shocked at how *bad* the UI and the map looks. It definitely needs a revamp, now it looks like a mid-2000s game.

Reactions:
- With the knowledge coming from your Master's in marketing, you will then explain to the illiterate people why Imperator won't be part of PDXcon and why it has been forsaken by PDX

Ah damn! I don't have a master's in marketing. I guess my years of experience working in marketing is irrelevant then? Anyhow, I decided to change careers! Marketing sucks!

Reactions: