• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

wryun

Wreccea
14 Badges
Mar 10, 2002
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Galactic Assault
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
(format and content of this thread shamelessly plagiarised from Korath's 1.0 announcement)

(as you may notice, much of this information is out of date, since parts of the GUFSM have been included in standard EU2 and Birger Jarl has released GUFSM 1.2, though not yet in complete form. MKJ has also put out some updated 8-bit flags. I will try and update the information here if I get round to it, but I think the ideal solution would be if Birger started a new thread...)

The Grand Unified Flag/Shield Mod

Download: GUFSM 1.1e (~5mb) (or the zip version, ~10mb [EDIT: Sorry, no longer available until I find some more webspace])

This is most recent release of the now venerable graphics modification for EU2, the GUFSM (Grand Unified Flag/Shield Mod, pronounced 'gum'). It replaces all the flags and shields in the game with ones that are not only more historically accurate, but also look much better because they use 24-bit instead of 8-bit colour.

Those responsible for this work of art are the project leader Birger Jarl, along with Mad King James, Iostephanos, and Korath, and contributions from Trajanus, Walter Hawkwood, Txini, and St. Leo. The person posting this only zipped a whole lot of files together and mangled some of these words.

Questions

How do I install it?

Run the executable, tell it to extract the files in your Europa Universalis II directory. Enjoy the new flags and shields!

Hey, the flags don't dim in the fog of war area (when the bits of the EU2 map you can't see get shaded). What's up?

This is an unfortunate side-effect of using 24-bit flags; some people like it, some people hate it. The ideal solution would be to petition Johan to support 24-bit dimming, or even better, to include the GUFSM in an official patch as well (see this petition). If they can include those two enormous mp3 tracks, why not some more updated graphics? At the moment, however, you'll either have to put up with it or download MKJ's 8-bit GUFSM Flags, which are not quite up to date (1.0).

I'm worried about what these will look like, and don't want to download something huge, replace my current files, and then find I hate them and have to reinstall EU2!

Well, you should backup your existing flag and shield files (copy the gfx/map/shields and gfx/map/flags directories somewhere safe) before installing. There are also previews for 1.0 and the 1.1 update.

I already have the GUFSM 1.0; do I really have to download all this stuff?

Nope! This download is for those who have nothing; if you already have 1.0, check out Birger Jarl's Version 1.1 update and unzip that over the top of your older shields and flags. Remember to rename the HRE files to HEI, though, and if you download the 4 extra shields mentioned in the 1st post (included in this release) you have to manually move each of their files to the appropriate directories.

Why are there two different downloads?

So Mac users can enjoy the GUFSM too! The ~5mb one is compressed with 7-zip (not available on the Mac), while the ~10mb one is in the more standard ZIP format (which everyone should be able to deal with). Both come packaged with a Windows self-extractor if you're happy about running files from the internet... the second one just needs to have a .exe added to the end. Of course, this is not applicable to Mac users, who will have to use StuffIt or similar to extract.

Is this compatible with the EEP and/or the AGC?

Short answer here is yes, they'll work fine. Longer answer: the AGC and EEP introduce new countries to the game, and change the countries represented by existing tags. The GUFSM does not have flags/shields for these new countries - it is designed for total compatibility with standard EU2. However, because the AGC and EEP install in a 'moddir', they install their new flags/shields in a different place, effectively supplanting the GUFSM flags which are now 'incorrect' (just as the standard flags are supplanted). There also won't be problems with any other moddir users, such as the Age of Nationalism.

You didn't answer my question.

Ask away!

Last edited:
Originally posted by wryun
So, since Birger Jarl has retired - that 666 can't be an accident, can it?

Great job! :)
Btw, that 666 was an accident but now I'll stick with it. :cool:

Re: Re: GUFSM 1.1e

Originally posted by Birger Jarl
Great job! :)
Btw, that 666 was an accident but now I'll stick with it. :cool:

Thanks - and how exactly are you managing to stick with it? These people with their high-level contacts :)

Love it. It'd be great if this made it into Crown of the North.

I've been having a look around at various methods of compression (because of the horrible size of the download)... www.7-zip.org seems good. It created a nice self-extracting archive that was only 5mb big!

However, I don't think there are any Macintosh extraction programs for it. Hmm... if a Mac user protests, I'll put a link up to the old download :)

Originally posted by Daywalker
Heh trying to download - while you are uploading :D

Get 375Kb on first try, 478 on 2nd, 540.... 870 right now :D

Seams like I have a VASTLY faster con then you :D (weeeee :))

Btw its up to 1.08Mb now :)

Ha ha... now you know that pain I'm suffering in uploading all this stuff over 33.6k (that's the upload restriction for modems, remember - bah).

I probably shouldn't have changed the link before I uploaded, and left the old file there, so it would only be 'gone' for a couple of seconds. What can I say, I'm lazy, and I thought no-one would be downloading :)

Here are more correct flags for following countries in the GC:

Mamluk Flag

mamluk.gif

SOURCE: http://www.kadado.com/gallery/lebanon/flag.htm

The XII-XV century flag of the Georgian State

ge-kind1.gif

SOURCE: http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~ci4/georgien/symbole/gerbi.html

Couldn't stop yourself, hmm? :p

Well, if people agree and create them, I'd be happy to package up an updated version.

Mamluk Flag

mamluk.gif

Why not just use the Brunei shield.

Originally posted by Garbon
But in reality this wouldn't be that much more accurate past a little bit, when it became Georgian states.

Well, pretty much all flags and shield were made to be accurate to the XV century/ the Grand Campaign. At least the European ones. :)

For Georgia we could use either one of these two:

125-page-Medroshe3.jpg

126-page-Medroshe4.jpg

How about use the bottom one for the shield and the top one for the flag.

Georgia Coat of Arms: http://www.nplg.gov.ge/ic/library_e/gabeskiria/13.htm

The Georgian state coat-of-arms has a documented history of three centuries. “It is as multifaceted and changeable, as the last three hundred years of our homeland” (47).

The first among the known ones is registered in Russia. In the 1672 Coat-of-arms Records (“Titular”) of Russian Tsar Alexi, it is mentioned as “the coat-of-arms of the Georgian kings of Kartli”. On the left side, the stylized shield presents an armored St.George on horseback, turned and facing the side unusual to heraldry; he has a white cross on the breast and is piercing a dragon with his lance.

Btw, a more correct arms for Duchy Of Athens at the time of GC would be the arms of Acciajoli, since we are using personal arms for the duchy.

http://www.geocities.com/littlsaint/duke_acciajoli.gif

Last edited: