• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mad King James said:
You know, if you're feeling generous, maybe you could add a command that lets us change to a new graphics set, and saves it in the save file and country data? ;)

like:

graphics = TAG

with the event command:

type = changegraphics which = TAG

and it loads shield and flag graphics that have that tag extention in the filename, even if it isn't a tag used in the game? So for instance when the Bourbons take over Spain we make a Bourbon spain set with shield_BRS, silvershield_BRS etc, and add the changegraphics which = BRS in the option for Bourbons taking over Spain. For those of us who wish we could change the graphics mid-game, this would be really really cool!

Seconded. :cool:

Birger Jarl said:
Well, you need to pick your words better then, you can't just say:

"Oh that shield looks down right ugly and that shield is just uglylooking!"

Sure, I can take critizism but when you put it that way it just sounds like you don't appreciate our work.

Its not my fault you mis-read me is it.
Im used to being honest about things - thats just who i am.

And like I said its not your fault that Naples, Provence, and others used ugly Coats of Arms is it?
No i dont believe it is - all you did was transfer them into EU2 shields and put them into the GUFSM.

The only part where you had a choice in including them really - and you chose to do so.

I am simply asking that you dont include any more really ugly ones than you have to.

This is why Aesthetics is NOT important, 'ugliness' is in your own mind, I find the new Neapolitan shield (as well as the proper English, Scottish, and Irish shields) quite attractive Coats of arms, Aesthetics shouldn't be a factor (in choosing which design to use) because it is a matter of personal taste and will only lead to endless arguments.

Which is presicely why I said I would replace the ones I really didnt like...

The reason I am arguing against the ugly provence CoA being used is cos it is only relevant for the first few years of the game and becomes irrelevant for the other 85% - why change what is already a perfectly good and accurate shield which happens to appease most people on every factor for one that appeases very few people.

I realise I am being honest to the point of being rude with my opinion and i apologise for the offense caused by it - but that Provence CoA is the ugliest CoA i have ever seen.

hmm, I do not see the problem here.

I have countless shield sets in my gfx folder, not all of them from GUFSM. Some are for aesthetic reasons, others for accuracy. Point is, it is irrelevent. The GUFSM is a brilliant piece of work, and I always look forward to seeing what changes there are. If I prefer the original or one of the countless spread across several sites, then I will use that instead. If you like aesthetic go for that, if historicity then go for that. You cant please all people half the time let along half the people all the time! Personal choice. Every-one has their opinion and methinks we are all aware of what they are....? :rolleyes:

....but about the graphics!!!! :p

BJ will you be including that blue and red scottish saltire that is more historic (but some would say lacking in the visually appealling dept. :D )

MKJ, methinks thou pushes your luck with the omnipotent one (Johan - all praise unto him). An option that will not, forsooth, bear friut, brilliant and wonderous though it be!!!

keep up the good work lads, all the graphics made provide all us muggles (c, tm) with a plethora of graphical options that suit our tastes and pleasure. (in other words, your work is NOT unappreciated - even by angelscotboi methinks ;) )
yours
Ayeshteni

Getting the feeling my requests are bing drowned by this aestethic debate. ;)

Could someone either post a zip of the GUFSM (or point me to where one is available because I just can't find it) or email it to me at henrik@strategyinformer.com ?

Hive said:
IIRC, Milan didn't actually use that COA by 1419 anymore... the one in vanilla EU2 is more accurate.

Lombardia
Lombardia corresponds roughly to the region around Milan. Milan was in the hands of the Visconti family since 1277, and their arms were Argent a serpent vert (crowned) swallowing a child gules.

italy29a.jpg

15th c. depiction of the Visconti arms on the facade of the cathedral, Lucca.

Milan was made a duchy by the Emperor Wenceslas in 1394, and in 1397 he granted the Visconti permission quarter the Empire with their own arms. As counts of Pavia they bore Visconti impaled with or three eagles sable per pale. The Sforza who succeeded the Visconti in 1447 used the same arms.

SOURCE: http://www.heraldica.org/topics/national/italy2.htm

Ayeshteni said:
BJ will you be including that blue and red scottish saltire that is more historic (but some would say lacking in the visually appealling dept. :D )

I totally forgot that one, dunno if it will be included but it sure looks nice...

flag_sco.gif
Scotland

Trin Tragula said:

Could someone either post a zip of the GUFSM (or point me to where one is available because I just can't find it) or email it to me at henrik@strategyinformer.com ?

Well the .zip file is over 10 mb in size, I could split it up and mail it.

EDIT: Download link fixed, :eek:o

Last edited:
Trin Tragula said:

It is in the betapatch of today.:D (Or at least some of it)

Birger Jarl said:
Well the .zip file is over 10 mb in size, I could split it up and mail it.

Go ahead :D Looking forward to trying out the flags/shields, if they're anything like the stuff you're posting in this thread I'll definetly be using them from now on :)

Nikolai II said:
It is in the betapatch of today.:D (Or at least some of it)

That'd not help me much though as the reason I need the zip is that I'm using the mac version ;)

Well, with the new command for changing flags&shields, heraldical research will reach new heights!

Birger Jarl said:
Lombardia
Lombardia corresponds roughly to the region around Milan. Milan was in the hands of the Visconti family since 1277, and their arms were Argent a serpent vert (crowned) swallowing a child gules.

italy29a.jpg

15th c. depiction of the Visconti arms on the facade of the cathedral, Lucca.

Milan was made a duchy by the Emperor Wenceslas in 1394, and in 1397 he granted the Visconti permission quarter the Empire with their own arms. As counts of Pavia they bore Visconti impaled with or three eagles sable per pale. The Sforza who succeeded the Visconti in 1447 used the same arms.

SOURCE: http://www.heraldica.org/topics/national/italy2.htm

Well as I understand it from this page, the serpent was only used untill 1397.

Hi GUFSM guys, great job, nice that Johan included your stuff in the patch (although I already had most of the stuff :)

However with the latest patch the retreat flag is all screwed up, is this because a fault in the flags on your part (and can you post a fix :)) or is the fault somewhere else (and can you still post a fix :D )

Thanks!

Hive said:
Well as I understand it from this page, the serpent was only used untill 1397.

I guess I was drunk when I posted that... The shield should look more like this. :)

mlo.gif

Birger Jarl said:
I guess I was drunk when I posted that... The shield should look more like this. :)

mlo.gif

Heh. No excuse as good as the "I was drunk" excuse. :D

I still think the serpent shouldn't be used at all, but I guess we can meet in a compromise with this new shield... :p

Trin Tragula said:
*Stops by to remind people that he's still here and want to use your flags ;) *
The beta patch is not an executable; you should be able to extract it and grab the changed text/graphics files, so you can run an 'almost' 1.07beta on the mac.

wryun said:
The beta patch is not an executable; you should be able to extract it and grab the changed text/graphics files, so you can run an 'almost' 1.07beta on the mac.

True, that's what I did to get the long-awaited Portuguese admirals but I would advise to limit it to graphics such as the GUFSM and text-files as long as there no events around (particularly those with remove cot).

Ok I'll try that (I did try once before but my stuffit expander deluxe told me that the rar file was corrupt... (and yes it does know what a rar file is)). I just hope that as soon as 1.8 is released we'll get a real mac equivalent patch (though aparently that is unlikely)...

Hmm I've tried with a lot of other programs and for some reason none of them wants to open the .rar files that Johan posted the latest patch as. Why did he switch from zips to rars anyway?