• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
okies.. meant just the 8-bit flags then.. was considering to put gufsm into the next patch since that seems to be your goal :)

Johan said:
okies.. meant just the 8-bit flags then.. was considering to put gufsm into the next patch since that seems to be your goal :)

Hooray! :D

By the way, if I don't find out what that BAF flag is I'm using The Cheat from homestarrunner.com ;)

Mad King James said:
By the way Johan, where do you get the BAF shield from? I want to fix it because when you do the difrules cheat the palette for the small sheild is wrong. (I notice this because when I do handsoff tests I always use difrules ;)) and I wanted to make one for the GUFSM that's 24bit, because that's the only shield a player can get that's in the game that isn't in the GUFSM.

Of course, the BAF shield is the "arms" of Djurgårdens IF (dif), why haven't I noticed this before... :p

baf.gif

BAF shield

EDIT: Let me do a new try with the Provence shield/flag

Birger Jarl said:
Of course, the BAF shield is the "arms" of Djurgårdens IF (dif), why haven't I noticed this before... :p

baf.gif

BAF shield

EDIT: Let me do a new try with the Provence shield/flag

Might as well put that in the GUFSM BJ ;)
tomorrow I'll make a special 'patch gufsm' for you Johan :)
Maybe it's time I did some more sprites too...

Mad King James said:
The one with the 1/3 Jerusalem arms, 1/3 France Ancient and 1/3 half the arms of the Anjou family.

God why did they try to cram every family posession into their COA?

This is the best I could do, still it looks a bit messy...

_pro_.gif

I'll post the final changes to GUFSM later today.

Mad King James said:
Might as well put that in the GUFSM BJ ;)
tomorrow I'll make a special 'patch gufsm' for you Johan :)
Maybe it's time I did some more sprites too...

That would be awesome... to both of that stuff :)

Johan said:
That would be awesome... to both of that stuff :)

You know, if you're feeling generous, maybe you could add a command that lets us change to a new graphics set, and saves it in the save file and country data? ;)

like:

graphics = TAG

with the event command:

type = changegraphics which = TAG

and it loads shield and flag graphics that have that tag extention in the filename, even if it isn't a tag used in the game? So for instance when the Bourbons take over Spain we make a Bourbon spain set with shield_BRS, silvershield_BRS etc, and add the changegraphics which = BRS in the option for Bourbons taking over Spain. For those of us who wish we could change the graphics mid-game, this would be really really cool!

Mad King James said:
You know, if you're feeling generous, maybe you could add a command that lets us change to a new graphics set, and saves it in the save file and country data? ;)
Oh, yes !! please add it !! :p

Birger Jarl said:
This is the best I could do, still it looks a bit messy...

_pro_.gif

I'll post the final changes to GUFSM later today.

Stick with the one you have now - it is relevant from 1484 onwards so for most of the scenarios it works.
Better having a CoA relevant for most of the game than for only the first 60 years...

But then you will prolly change it...

angelscotboi said:
Stick with the one you have now - it is relevant from 1484 onwards so for most of the scenarios it works.
Better having a CoA relevant for most of the game than for only the first 60 years...

But then you will prolly change it...

Dude think about it for a second. This is Provence we're talking about. The coat of arms in the GUFSM right now is AFTER they're annexed into France. Provence should not normally exist after annexation, and thus we should be using the shield they were using while they existed.

Ya know im beginning to think you just like having -really- ugly shields...

*shudders*

Ok put it this way -dude- that shield may be from AFTER they were assimilated into France but I would assume that they changed the CoA because they no longer had claims or could back up the claims on their other more distant posessions.
And if they had survived they probably would have changed to the later shield anyway.
Always assume that a nation will survive in EU2 because more often than not they will.
And assuming they survive - it would be better to have the shield which is more relevant for the biggest part of the game than a shield which is only relevant for the first 60 especially since the original one you have is way nicer than the really ugly ugly one that would only be relevant for, in game terms, a minute amount of time.

The current Provence shield fufills BOTH historical accuracy (which is what you guys like) and aesthetics (which people like me like) so when that shield makes EVERYONE happy - why change it??? Especially to something that will become irrelevant and innaccurate 60 years into the game...and not to mention its UGLY.

But I know my plea's will fall on deaf ears - you guys will go for the ugly and largely irrelevant shield.

*mutters in annoyance* you would think they r tryin deliberately to piss me off.... (Sarcasm here :p)

Last edited:
Er not quite. You see the King of France, when he finds himself owning a new piece of land, tends to remove the former coat of arms and replace it with one that's more... well.. French.

Before attacking us for doing what we spend great amounts of time we don't get paid for doing, and telling us our work sucks, maybe you should try and do a better job yourself?

Am I the only one who finds the current provence shield butt-ugly? I greatly enjoy the GUFSM's coat-of-arms... even though it makes it hard to distinguish between Burgundy and England at times :)

Anyway, I also second a shield/flag change command.

Mad King James said:
Er not quite. You see the King of France, when he finds himself owning a new piece of land, tends to remove the former coat of arms and replace it with one that's more... well.. French.

Before attacking us for doing what we spend great amounts of time we don't get paid for doing, and telling us our work sucks, maybe you should try and do a better job yourself?

Um you are putting words in my mouth.

Where exactly do i say your work sucks? Nowhere.

You cant help that the Provencial CoA was the most horrible CoA ever...you are simply transplanting real and existing flag/CoAs into EU2 flag/shield format not making them yourselves.
I mean, its that ugly that even Birger jarl (who is extremely talented at Computer Art) couldnt make it look good as an EU2 shield - that should tell you something.

And i have repeated on numerous occassions the work you guys have put into this is good - just that some of the shields are frighteningly ugly, which you have no control over.

The only control you have over that sort of thing is chosing not to include a really ugly shield that is only relevant for a certain amount of time in game terms.

Please stop putting words in my mouth - and attacking me for trying to assist and convince you that aesthetics is important too.

Eldin said:
Am I the only one who finds the current provence shield butt-ugly? I greatly enjoy the GUFSM's coat-of-arms... even though it makes it hard to distinguish between Burgundy and England at times :)

Anyway, I also second a shield/flag change command.

I will admit it isnt the nicest of CoAs but it is better than the original paradox shield for Provence *shudders at the thought* and it is well better than the extremely ugly one that MKJ seems dead set on introducing into the game because its more "historically accurate" for the first 60 years and then becomes irrelevant...

And I too liked the majority of GUFSMs flags/shields - which i have stated on numerous occassions - except for a certain few really ugly ones which I am working to independently replace myself.

I would still prefer Birger Jarl to upload the shield sets independently and seperately to his site so we could pick and chose the ones we want.

Last edited:
Well, you need to pick your words better then, you can't just say:

"Oh that shield looks down right ugly and that shield is just uglylooking!"

Sure, I can take critizism but when you put it that way it just sounds like you don't appreciate our work.

provence.gif

Provence*

shield_mlo.gif

Milano*

* flags included.

Here's two complete sets, did some additional research about the Milano coa, it seems that the snake should be blue rather than green. (Or am I incorrect?)

Last edited:
I still want to try out your flags on my mac but I still can't download that zip (where is it? I feel like I'm missing something obvious here, it's not in the first post as that link obviously has been removed (try clicking it and see where you end up ;))...

Birger Jarl[IMG said:
http://www.geocities.com/jarl_birger/REQUESTS/shield_mlo.gif[/IMG]
Milano*

* flags included.

Here's two complete sets, did some additional research about the Milano coa, it seems that the snake should be blue rather than green. (Or am I incorrect?)

IIRC, Milan didn't actually use that COA by 1419 anymore... the one in vanilla EU2 is more accurate.