• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As others mentioned, the Annihilator could be a good choice for a new assault. Also, the Nightstar is a possibility too, however that thing is a monster in the firepower department, so I don't know if it would be too much power-creep. I'd like to see the Nightstar in the game (it looks amazing), but at the same time, I'd be a bit nervous if it did.

Also, the Nightstar would require Lostech to be loadout correct (something that makes it even more spooky). The equipment it would need is in game though, so it wouldn't need anything above and beyond (like LBXs or Ultras).

the nightstar 9J is a beast to have on your side or see with the opfor.
2 gauss and a erppc is a formidable loadout with lotsa armor for preotection.
most of the equipment for the nightstar is in game but it needs an XL engine which is not.
i doubt we will ever see it until/unless HBS makes XL engine possible in vanilla.

I can never understand why someone added the Nightstar as around in 3025 with Level 2 tech. And people also retconned out some mechs with Level 1 tech. Oh well.
My research shows the only Nightstars in the Inner Sphere in 3025 are in the possession of ComStar. I'm not sure where this "Nightstars in the wild" notion got started.

My research shows the only Nightstars in the Inner Sphere in 3025 are in the possession of ComStar. I'm not sure where this "Nightstars in the wild" notion got started.

same place our Atlas HT and highlander 732b came from.......:D
there are an unknown number of sldf caches scattered around.....whose to say some lucky no name merc/pirate didnt stumble upon a small cache?

same place our Atlas HT and highlander 732b came from.......:D
there are an unknown number of sldf caches scattered around.....whose to say some lucky no name merc/pirate didnt stumble upon a small cache?
There comes a point where the "Star League cache" reasoning can get used so often that it may as well just be the base tech level. (I still think putting lostech in this game was a bad idea.)

Besides which, when someone specifies 3025 mechs, like this thread does, lostech mechs are implicitly excluded.

I guess most of us grognards are old enough to remember a time before retcons were common regarding the tech level in the Inner Sphere.

My 'head-canon' tells me that if it wasn't in the original TRO 3025, then the only organisation with access to something is ComStar. And those fellas aren't into sharing technology.

I'm looking at you: Kintaro, Black Knight, Atlas-II. My head canon doesn't mind seeing ONE of those mechs in the game: Kamea's mech, the Atlas from the Castle Nautilus, etc.

But Highlander's being a common assault mech in the periphery? SMH. I know I'm in the minority. It just kicks me right in my immersion jimmies. Thank goodness for @Justin Kase and his rarity mod!

Cheers All,

Mad

see to me.....a 3025 setting means anything from 3025 tro and 2750 tro

a 3039 setting means anything from 3039 tro, 3025tro and 2750tro.

doesnt guarantee....but it is possible

We already know there won't be one in the next one (Urban Warfare), but never know for Expac3.

I might be wrong, but I remember this being said about the Marauder and Warhammer specifically. I don't remember this being said in reference to a HBS created mech. Again though, I may have not picked up on any additional info pertaining to that statement.

I can never understand why someone added the Nightstar as around in 3025 with Level 2 tech. And people also retconned out some mechs with Level 1 tech. Oh well.

I'm guessing it had to be in reference to a story or novel. Something intended to fill a certain roll in a story, but made rare to the point of extinct to avoid it causing too much havoc for story telling/TT games. I don't know for sure, this is just a shot in the dark.

the nightstar 9J is a beast to have on your side or see with the opfor.
2 gauss and a erppc is a formidable loadout with lotsa armor for preotection.
most of the equipment for the nightstar is in game but it needs an XL engine which is not.
i doubt we will ever see it until/unless HBS makes XL engine possible in vanilla.

Yeah, I forgot about the engine :/. I agree that I can't see them worrying about XL engines...yet.

I might be wrong, but I remember this being said about the Marauder and Warhammer specifically. I don't remember this being said in reference to a HBS created mech. Again though, I may have not picked up on any additional info pertaining to that statement.
I believe it was during the same q&a, maybe someone can quote it for me? (Thanks if you do!)

Paraphrase is "we aren't working on another HBS created mech right now, so you won't see one in Urban Warefare. But don't worry, we are keeping Marco Mazzoni busy with other work."

I believe it was during the same q&a, maybe someone can quote it for me? (Thanks if you do!)

Paraphrase is "we aren't working on another HBS created mech right now, so you won't see one in Urban Warefare. But don't worry, we are keeping Marco Mazzoni busy with other work."

You are probably right.

I'm still holding out hope for the Chameleon, although I know it is a long shot. :)
That would be an awesome addition to the repertoire of mechs in BATTLETECH. A fast medium with energy and support hardpoints could fit quite well into a lance. :)

Well, they did release the Flea relatively recently. And now that Unseen can be added, I wouldn't be surprised by Wasp / Stinger released together.
I'd love it if we got the Wasp and Stinger in BATTLETECH. They would add nice OpFor variety.

I guess most of us grognards are old enough to remember a time before retcons were common regarding the tech level in the Inner Sphere.

My 'head-canon' tells me that if it wasn't in the original TRO 3025, then the only organisation with access to something is ComStar. And those fellas aren't into sharing technology.
I accept the fact that the retcon adding 3025 variants of SLDF mechs was to ensure that enough playable mechs continued to exist in TT Battletech after the legal issues reared their ugly head. For me, that ship sailed long ago, and I have no problem with it as it helped to keep TT Battletech a viable franchise.

I accept the fact that the retcon adding 3025 variants of SLDF mechs was to ensure that enough playable mechs continued to exist in TT Battletech after the legal issues reared their ugly head. For me, that ship sailed long ago, and I have no problem with it as it helped to keep TT Battletech a viable franchise.

A long those line, in many ways, I think of the Nightstar as a Marauder II without actually being a Marauder II :).

They are both Assault variations on the Marauder, they both have a similar loadout (except the primary damage dealing weapons are swapped when it comes to energy vs ballistic), and they both are intended to be beefier versions in both firepower and durability. They have their differences too of course, but I can't help but think that Nightstar was essentially created to be a Marauder II in some fashion.

I mean...I'm just saying :)

Mad.PNG

Night.PNG

A long those line, in many ways, I think of the Nightstar as a Marauder II without actually being a Marauder II :).

They are both Assault variations on the Marauder, they both have a similar loadout (except the primary damage dealing weapons are swapped when it comes to energy vs ballistic), and they both are intended to be beefier versions in both firepower and durability. They have their differences too of course, but I can't help but think that Nightstar was essentially created to be a Marauder II in some fashion.

I mean...I'm just saying :)
The MWO artwork makes them look much more similar than the TRO artwork does. :)

I think of the Nightstar as effectively a Gauss armed King Crab.

The MWO artwork makes them look much more similar than the TRO artwork does. :)

I think of the Nightstar as effectively a Gauss armed King Crab.

Yeah, that is true. TRO wise, they seem to look fairly different. That may have to do a lot with the issues the unseen were going through too. I can see why PGI made them close in design though considering the fluff text for the Nightstar.

"The 2767 genesis of the Nightstar lies in the Amaris Civil War, when it was noticed that unit commanders, most of whom were piloting Marauder BattleMechs, were being targeted by troops loyal to Stefan Amaris." - Sarna.net: Nightstar

It's not the strongest text to link the two mechs really, but I could see where it can justify the design choice PGI made. If you were a commander in a Marauder, and a replacement mech was being made just to keep you safer and more effective, I could see the SLDF wanting to deliver a machine that was very familiar to you and would be quick to learn (especially during a time of war).

Oh, and yes I did build a "Nightstar" in BattleTech with a King Crab, so I know exactly what you mean :). I had a MechWarrior named 'Kong' I placed in it as well. They just seemed to fit well together :). The Nightstar KC has 2 Gauss Rifles, a PPC, and 2 Medium Lasers (with accuracy bonuses to act as make shift Medium Pulse Lasers).

Here's my transcript, the question is simply "will we see the Unseen", so the answer is specifically about the Warhammer and Marauder, but generally about all Unseen. 'Mechs not Unseen aren't mentioned, but if they haven't the time to do the Warhammer and Marauder before Urban Warfare, I'd be surprised if they had time to do any other 'Mechs.

Mitch: Step one, never say never. Step two, NOT in Urban Warfare. Not in our next release. The reason for that, honestly, the real reason for that is cause we don't have enough people to do everything that we're doing and get the Unseen out. But the truth of the matter is, the truth, on the Internet, is that we love the Unseen. We LOVE the Unseen. There is not a member of the studio that does not want especially the Marauder and the Warhammer in our game, especially because we promised them during our Kickstarter. Right? We PROMISED them. And then legal things got in our way <audience boos> Please. We're MechWarriors, we have honour, okay? But will they come? HELL YEAH they'll come! <audience cheers>
Jordan: All right, what the hell.
Mitch: Screw Fight Club. But not today, and not tomorrow. But soon and for the rest of your lives.<audience laughs>

(skip to 1:12:36 if timestamp doesn't work)​

in the TRO artwork the nightstar always reminded more of the champion style of mech design instead of the marauder

Here's my transcript, the question is simply "will we see the Unseen", so the answer is specifically about the Warhammer and Marauder, but generally about all Unseen. 'Mechs not Unseen aren't mentioned, but if they haven't the time to do the Warhammer and Marauder before Urban Warfare, I'd be surprised if they had time to do any other 'Mechs.

Mitch: Step one, never say never. Step two, NOT in Urban Warfare. Not in our next release. The reason for that, honestly, the real reason for that is cause we don't have enough people to do everything that we're doing and get the Unseen out. But the truth of the matter is, the truth, on the Internet, is that we love the Unseen. We LOVE the Unseen. There is not a member of the studio that does not want especially the Marauder and the Warhammer in our game, especially because we promised them during our Kickstarter. Right? We PROMISED them. And then legal things got in our way <audience boos> Please. We're MechWarriors, we have honour, okay? But will they come? HELL YEAH they'll come! <audience cheers>
Jordan: All right, what the hell.
Mitch: Screw Fight Club. But not today, and not tomorrow. But soon and for the rest of your lives.<audience laughs>

(skip to 1:12:36 if timestamp doesn't work)​
The quote about HBS making mechs may have been in one of the Q&A streams. I'll try to dig for it tomorrow.

I'm going to toss my hat in and say I vaguely remember something to this effect being said, but can't remember where.

I'm going to toss my hat in and say I vaguely remember something to this effect being said, but can't remember where.
I recall that. It was indeed stated in one of the communications.