• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AirikrStrife

Bergakungen
20 Badges
Jul 30, 2010
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV
15ededd67b319875a53703775741054b.jpg

Carl med Guds Nåde - Sveriges, Götes och Vendes konung (Charles, by the Grace of God, King of Sweden, the Goths and the Wends)

This is a suggestion for a Sweden patch. Sweden is already one of the most flavourful countries tags in the game, with an immense amound of flavour. Still it's a country that could do with some extra care, especially a new mission tree. But also a second look at it's NI which is currently fairly generic. With these changes I am aiming for a more accurate experience playing as Sweden. This will be notable as a nerf to early swedish game, but with greater bonuses once the game progresses and the player fill out the mission tree.

This suggestion will also look briefly at several surrounding countries closely intertwined with Sweden, such as Denmark, Norway and the Baltic countries. As I don't know the history and flavour of these countries as well as I ought, I would appreciate if any dane or norwegian wanted to take a look at NI's and missions for those countries.

As we don't know much about the concrete changes to the german coast in the upcoming europe patch I'm not commenting on provinces in germany except for Schleswig. Nor do we know if they rework the league wars, which they would hopefully do and can tie in more to both sweden and denmark

Map changes
2019-04-02 (3).png

In sweden proper we see 4 new provinces (3 on the map). To the north Hälsingland has been split accomodating for the new province of Härnösand in the north.
Stockholm has been split into three provinces (I realize I should have made borders clearer for the new provinces)
The new provinces are Södermanland (south) and Uppsala (north). Not on map but I suggest the Island of Öland as a separate province

2019-04-02 (6).png

In Österland (Finland) We see one redrawn province, Birkaland has merged with northern Åbo to form the province of Satakunta (capitol Ulvsby) Towards Karelia we have the new Kymmenegård province*

*Alternative to Kymmenegård, is to split Nyland into Raseborg and Borgå province, though I found this suggestion more aestetic

Areas I suggest for Sweden:
Västra Götaland (unchanged), Östra Götaland (get's Öland),
Östra Svealand (Stockholm, Södermanland, Uppsala), Västra Svealand (Dalaskogen, Bergslagen, Värmland, Närke),
Norrland/Helsingland (Helsingland, Härnösand, Jämtland)
Lappland area*: Västerbotten, Lappland, Jokkmokk, Kemi

*Finnmakren goes to Northern Norway, and Kola forms new area with eastern karelia.

Finland (Satakunta, Åbo, Nyland, Tavastahus) Västra Karelen (Karelia, Priozersk, Viborg, Kymmenegård, Savolax) Österbotten (Österbotten, Korsholm, Kajaneland)

2019-04-03.png

For the northern territories I only moved provinces around, on the swedish side. The dotted line in Enare marks out a part of the province which should accurately be part of Norway. Enare has been moved slightely south and should be renamed to Kemi
Västerbotten
is no longer bound by it's modern border at Torne river, but extends as it did until 1809 all the way to Kemi river
Rovaniemi has moved south and are renamed Österbotten
Old Österbotten
only covers the southern part of the old province and is renamed to Korsholm. Kajaneland has been slightely redrawn to look more pleasing.
In Russian Lappland and Karelia, I split Kola in two, and made a new province in Karelia.

Talking about development I consider dropping about 17 more development (or 15% increase) to the kingdom of Sweden, besides dropping some development on the new province, I could see some redistribution of certain provinces (such as tiohärad with the cities of Jönköping and Kronoberg only having 3 dev). Stockholm and Åbo could drop a dev or two for redistribution.

Denmark-Norway
2019-04-02 (1).png

Two new norwegian provinces, Brunla province in the western part of Akershus (Ostland area), and more optional Hardanger (Western Norway area) in the west coast. Hardanger is a small county, but has a bit of a unique history, making it interesting to have there (could be an event designed for the province). Idea is that Hardanger does not block direct access between Bergenhus and Stavanger.

Now I imagine increasing Norways development with 6, Next up Denmark is a bit trickier because I also imagine a couple of changes to the danish starting set up that will effect them. Additionally, I think Denmarks dev is good (though I would suggest up it by 8) I feel it's poorly distributed, as Lund and Sjaelland has 20 dev, making them on par with London and slightly behind Paris. I would like to see that development spread out a bit over the country, Lund is a beautiful amazing city but it's not worth 20 development even then counting Malmö and Helsingborg (I'm from/live in Lund). The actual addition of provinces in Denmark are I believe quite up to how one want to distribute that development so I draw several possible ones

2019-04-03 (2).png

Making Sjaelland a separate province (capitol in Ringsted) is a first choice, a province for the peninsular (nowadays an island of it's own) of Vendsyssel another natural choice (which would make 5 provinces for Jylland area). Splitting Lolland into Lolland and Mön is another choice.
Also Bornholm should be moved to Skåne area.
More interestingly though is that Holstein shouldn't start as a vassal of Denmark (I'll discuss this in detail in it's own section) meaning a nerf to denmark and the danish vassalage. I would like Schleswig split into three provinces, partly because I want it to be an area in it's own right, an area which should be in the scandinavian region. The split I'm trying out here is Based on the Devs opening up for a frisian culture, then there would be a Nordfriesland province in Schleswig. If they decide not to include frisian, I suggest splitting Schleswig on lines of the traditional sysslor https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syssel#Sønderjylland
I'd give the area a dev increase to 15

2019-04-03 (3).png

Livonian order get's 2 new province to make the map more pleasing. Wiek in Estonia, and Selonia in Kurland, this finally cleans up the terrible areas in the current region.
New areas division:
Estonia: Ösel, Wiek, Reval, Narva
Livonia: Liefland, Dorpat, Wenden, Riga, Lettgalen
Kurland: Goldingen, Mittau, Selonia
6 new development to Livonia

Events and missions to follow

Death of Christopher of Bavaria:

Danish event: Elect Christian of Oldenburg new king. (The duke of Oldenburg abdicates and instead becomes king of denmark and norway)

Swedish event: Karl Knutsson challenges king Christian.

Option 1: Declare Karl Knutsson king! (Karl Knutsson Bonde becomes king, ending the union with denmark which gets a restoration of union CB)
Option 2: Maintain the union! A pretender army occupies stockholm, lead by Karl Knutsson Bonde

Schleswig question: Holstein should not start as a vassal of Denmark and instead have a historical rivalry modifier.

Death of Count Adolf:

With the death of the childless count Adolf of Holstein, the new count of Holstein would not be eligible to inherit the danish duchy of Sleswig, which would return Sleswig to the danish crown

Option 1: maintain the unity of the realm by electing the danish king as ruler (forms personal union with denmark)

Option 2: Nothing to be done about it. Cede Sleswig to Denmark.

Swedish missions:
2019-04-03 (1).png

My mission explanation might be a bit hard to follow, generally I didn't put much effort into the rewards, with few exception which I will be discussing together with ideas under a tab I call "Rise of the Swedish army"

Holstein: My goal is to not make protect norway such an instant mission. This mission is checked by holstein either being owned by sweden, a swedish vassal or a swedish ally. Rewards are permanent claims on norway.

[Emperor of] Scandinavia. Same reward as ”unite home region” mission in generic tree

Centralize: requires the country to have an average autonomy under 25%. Reward is cash and ”growing economy modifier”

Modernize army: requires country to have army traditions of at least 60. Reward is the ”thriving arms industry modifier”

Absolutism: Requires the modifier The Absolutism to be triggered. Reward is legitimacy and increased drilling speed.

Carolean army: Requires 50 army profesionalism. Reward is permanent country modifier ”Caroleans” Giving 10% infantry combat ability and +1 yearly army tradition

Control state religion: Copies the English mission

Lion of the North: Join the league war. Gives the ruler 1 extra pipe in shock, fire and maneuver as a general and gives the modifiers ”Lion of the North” until death of the current ruler, granting 0.25 military tactics

Emperor: Become holy roman emperor or dismantle holy roman. Same rewards as spains Universal monarchy mission.

Swedish copper: Have 5 workshops, reward is the ”Building spree modifier”

Baltic trade: have over 50% trade power in the baltic sea node. Reward is the naval enthusiasm modifier.

Swedish Ingria: Control Ingria area and western Karelia

Dominum [Maris Baltici] requires sweden to conquer Kurland and all of prussia. Reward is naval enthusiasm modifier and a random province becoming a dominant trade hub. And claims leading into a much larger mission of course

[Swedish] Deluge: Own or have a subject own the poland region and baltic region (excluding Silesia and red ruthenia). Poland or Commonwealth can't exist.

Arctic ports: Own laponia, Pomore and Archangelsk. Reward is permanent claims on Novgorod area

[Grand duke of] Novgorod: Own or have a subject own Novgorod area. Triggers an event that will offer the player to release Novgorod as a march with russian principality government and a ruler of target countries ruling dynasty (as it was the ambition of GA2 to make Novgorod a vassal under his younger brother). Also grants claims on Pskov. And a restoration of union casus belli on muscovy/russia for 25 years (GA2 did proclaim himself Tsar of Russia briefly but never held power outside of occupied territory in Novgorod and northwestern russia)

This period of peace with Poland benefited Sweden much, and Gustavus employed it advantageously. He established a military system that was to become the envy of Europe. He drew up a new military code.[13] The new improvements to Sweden's military order even pervaded the state by fueling fundamental changes in the economy.[14] The military reforms – among which tight discipline[13][15][16] was one of the prevailing principles – brought the Swedish military to the highest levels of military readiness and were to become the standard that European states would strive for. The code drawn up encouraged the highest level of personal frugality.[16] In the camp, silver nor gold was permitted anywhere. The King's tent was not exempted from this prohibition.[16] According to one historian, luxury was a "…stranger in the camp…"[17] All soldiers who were caught looting were to be court-marshalled and then shot,[18] nepotism and other forms of favoritism[19] was unknown[18] in the Swedish army. In addition, the system of magazines was brought up to an efficiency unknown in the period.[18] The baggage of soldiers and officers alike – for the speed of movement – was restricted significantly.[18] Garrison duty was required by everyone alike, there were no exceptions.

During the 17th century, particular during Gustav II Adolf and Charles XI Sweden had one of the finest armies in the world, but it had not always been that way, and would not be so again after the death of Charles XII. Begining Sweden shouldn't have as powerful starting position (20% inf CA is only appropriate later)
I took to redesigning Swedish NI's a bit, moving military ideas back, but also buffing them

Traditions:
+10% Goods produced modifier
+10% National manpower modifier

Ideas:
Kung och Riksdag

+1 Yearly legitimacy
+1 Possible policies

Tax Baltic Ports

+10% Trade efficiency
Military Code

+5% Discipline
Reformed Armies

+10% Infantry combat ability*
Swedish Absolutism

−10% Stability cost modifier
+0.20 Yearly absolutism
Indelningsverket

+20% Manpower recovery speed

Gud med oss!

50% prestige from land battles
50 % Army tradition from land battles

Some general things here, Sweden now starts with compelte new traditions, essentially moving idea 6&7 to traditions. 1st idea remains same, second idea is a trade idea replacing Hakkapeli. Third idea is swedish steel renamed to military code.
4th idea is Army reform giving 10% inf CA, a nerf with 10% from the old tradition. This is because now instead fulfilling the mission "Carolean army" grants a permanent country modfiier giving 10% inf CA and +1 army tradition per year.
5th idea is swedish absolutism
6th idea indelningsverket moved here
and 7th idea is an idea I had based on how Sweden really built on it's wars, but developing it's army and reiging in prestige on the international scene. Gud med oss is swedish for god with us, famous motto of Gustav II Adolf and commonly known by it's german translation 'Gut mit uns'

I also made a special reward for fullfilling the mission "Lion of the North" which requires you to join the league war. This reward makes your ruler a more ocmpetent general and adds a modifier granting 0.25 military tactics

As I rarely see Sweden or Denmark intervene in Livonia, I imagine an event for the Livonian war, which saw those two countries gain territory without even fighting for it (at first) because during the Livonian war then the order were crushed by the russians, Livonia as a country broke apart and different parts started vying for protection from foreign countries, burghers and nobility from northern estonia went to sweden, Ösel and Wiek were osld to Denmark, PLC took the rest and made Kurland a vassal. I imagine an event there the order suffers high negative warscore for parts of it to break out and seek the protection from neighbouring countries.

I want to especially thank @Entrone for the conversations we had on this topic, and point out that my maps are largely based on the discussion we had over in his thread

• 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
Yes, I'm Norwegian :)

I honestly think the wasteland should stay. While it's certainly possible to get from one side of the mountains to the other, it would be a attrition-filled, logistical nightmare to actually march an army across there in winter. Imagine trying to pull artillery through 2 metres of snow in -20 °C and strong winds; all of this without trees for wood :(
The wasteland can be reshaped, but I don't think an east-west connection is necessary. If you remove the physical connection between Bergenhus and Stavanger, and replace it with a strait across the Hardanger Fjord, the Hardanger province could work. I would still think Sogn would be a slightly better one, as Sogn og Fjordane has about 5x the population of Hardanger (today).

So pretty much like dragging artillery through the tibetan plateau :cool:

You're absolutly right about Sögn being larger and more populous, the reason I still hold to Hardanger is because it's a more curious province, it's not just another province in the norwegian loop.

I tried updating southern norways borders,
2019-04-02 (1).png

I'm basing my drawings in part on the maps on this webbpage https://lokalhistoriewiki.no/wiki/Leksikon:Len
Admittedly My attempt at adding Numedalen to the Buskerud province looks pretty aweful, partly because my Buskerud is more based on the current Buskerud county rather than the historical Brunla len, which has a much thinner shape (and adding Numedal is optional). I feel these changes will make southern norway more dynamic than just a straight road, as it now would offer some maneuverability. Note though that I conciously avoided access between Bratsberg and Stavanger, despite those provinces touching in the map above.

(drawing is a bit approximate, especially since I didn't really manage to figure out which river it is on the map, haven't been able to get a good map on norwegian rivers)

Hopefully one day PDX improves attrition system (essentially removing the cap and improving ai attrition management is first step)

Do you have any good additions to my current norwegian mission tree suggestion?
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/scandinavian-mission-trees.1085530/

Atlantic islands
First, areas. Current areas are suboptimal, Iceland is one area with two provinces, faroes is another area with two provinces (faroe and shetland)

Faroes area should be removed completly, moving at least the faroe islands to iceland area.

Shetland can also move to iceland area, or be made part of an area in the britain region, like the isles.

Next up some random thoughts:
I also think it would be nice if one of the iceland provinces produce livestock, because sheep is very big in iceland

If possible a released Iceland should have republic as default government system, because it historically was, (I believe though that the game currently gives the government of the one releasing the country)

It would also be nice to see some unique icelandic ideas if they're released, focusing on maritime and colonial ideas, high attrition etc but I'm not gonna do them.

Next up, Greenland:

I started with the goal of adding a third province to greenland, which wouldn't feel like just an arbitary strip of coast, and got interested in the diskobay area before realising it's not even on the euiv map. Disko Island/bay/fjord were important hunting grounds for vikings, were later settled by inuits and became the center of the north greenland colony (yes denmark had two colonies on greenland, north & south greenland)

Well disko bay is out but my next discovery were a bit surprising, none of the two current icelandic provinces actually contain the area they're named after!

As can be made out from this picture:

greenland_map_349.jpg

The historic western settlement (Vestbygden) is located nort of the current province (close to modern day Nuuk) and Eriksfjord, located within the eastern settlement area is south of the current province, black circles indicate were those provinces should be moved:

2019-04-12.png

Essentially the old provinces could be made into a new third province, alternatively make both provinces larger covering the ground between them. Since I can't find any conventional norse name for the area, so either later danish colonial name, or indigenous greenlandic name, though I can't find names of any settlement from before danish colonization.
Ivittuut, which is the name of the area of the norse middle settlement is one option https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivittuut

It is probable that Eirikrsfjord should still have nordic culture by 1444, but I consider this optional, especially for balance reasons (for uniting culture group to clear the age objective)

I'm also making a black circle for the area around Ammassalik in eastern greenland that could be made a province aswell.

Greenland wasby all means a danish colony, so I would suggest making Greenland part of the Canada colonial region aswell.

Lastly I will talk about culture.

By 1444 the different island nordic languages would have started to diverge from norwegian, and distinct identities had already been established during the viking age (among at least icelanders.

Especially during the euiv timeline when Norwegian were infuenced by danish and danish being the language of the elite in norway, the island nordic languages would diverge and become more unique.
Given the existence of an Iceland tag, I feel making an Iclandic culture for Iceland, the faroes, Shetland & Orkney (norn speakers) and possibly eiriksfjord would be a decent option.

On the topic of Greenland, I think you could probably keep the two current provinces, having them represent Frederikshåb/Paamiut and Ivigtût/Ivittuut. Another possible name instead of Paamiut could be Fiskenæsset/Qeqertarsuatsiaat. I also agree on having the two new provinces beside them, with a historical accurate Vestbygden/Godthåb/Nuuk and a province to represent the Eastern Settlement, for example Julianehåb/Qaqortoq near the ruins of Hvalsey. I'm pretty sure that someone with more knowledge about Greenland might have better suggestions for naming the provinces in Greenland. I disagree with adding an Ammassalik/Tasiilaq province. According to the wiki, this area was only permanently settled in 1894, outside the EU4 timeframe. Any way, a 4 province Greenland would be a better improvement than its current form with only 2 provinces.

Given the very large distance between them, would it be worthwhile to have a separate Orkney/Orkneyjar province from the current Shetland/Hjaltland province?

Last edited:
What about an event tied to completing missions which unlocks Karoliner as an elite unit? The unit's bonus modifiers could be tied to Sweden's church power and religious unity to add some flavour. Furthermore, Sweden being able to quickly mobilise elite infantry across the country would make sense due to the indelningsverket system. This would also help the awful Swedish economy keep costs down during times of peace as there wouldn't be the need to maintain a large standing army.

Another interesting mechanic could be negative effects if Karoliner units are raised too often in a short period (maybe 10-20 years). Negative effects could be increased unrest, reduced production, lower manpower recovery, raised dev cost etc. to simulate population drain and the devestating effect of extended foreign campaigns on the remaining communities at home.

Last edited:
Karelia-Kola
As @The Sneaky Top Hat pointed out in his thread, samis were not christian by 1444, so they should all be pagan. I suggest using Tengriism as it has coem to represent all shamanistic beliefs of northern eurasia.

I also wanted to better show my map on the eastern karelia and kola area and slightely update it.

10757676_fullsize.jpg

Looking at this 18th century map we can see kola and northern karelia being divided into three different areas, Mourmanskoy Leporie, Terskoy Leporie and Bellamorskoy Leporie
I decided to make one province for roughly each one of these areas.
From my readings it is also quite clear that the karelians were still not settled as far north as currently in game, I'm not gonna be pixel crazy, as their anyway is a significant lack of sources on the subject, but this is my updated map:

2019-04-15.png

Provinces: Murmansk (capitol Kola; trade goods fur or fish), Kola (capitol Umba or Varzuga; trade goods fish) Kandalaksha (Capitol Kandalaksha; trade goods salt)
All three provinces has sami culture, and together with White Karelia and Olonets they make up East Karelia State. White Karelia get's fur as trade goods as the salt is moved to Kandalaksha.

I also took inspiration from @Entrone and included a Vytegra province, part of Beloozero area. Unclear if this province would have novgorod culture, or karelian as a stand in for veps. Entrone, have you been able to figure out population of this area? I can't find mentions of any russians town or villages from before 1470's, so I consider it plausible to still be Vepsian

Edit: I think Karelia should exist as a tag from the beginning of the game, not only appear as a revolter state, historically the region did have a strong political organization prior to being more or less voluntarily incorporated into Novgorod

Last edited:
What about an event tied to completing missions which unlocks Karoliner as an elite unit? The unit's bonus modifiers could be tied to Sweden's church power and religious unity to add some flavour. Furthermore, Sweden being able to quickly mobilise elite infantry across the country would make sense due to the indelningsverket system. This would also help the awful Swedish economy keep costs down during times of peace as there wouldn't be the need to maintain a large standing army.

Another interesting mechanic could be negative effects if Karoliner units are raised too often in a short period (maybe 10-20 years). Negative effects could be increased unrest, reduced production, lower manpower recovery, raised dev cost etc. to simulate population drain and the devestating effect of extended foreign campaigns on the remaining communities at home.

While having Caroleans as a special unit could work, there are a few reasons why I won't suggest it.

1. Caroleans shouldn't be avaible from the start, meaning certain requirements needs to be fulfilled, doing as I did in my suggestion is less work for something that will probably only appear in player games (I doubt ai makes it that far into their mission trees)

2. Special units are typically a paid for feature, I have designed this suggestion to be a free patch, something to be released 2-3 weeks after a proper dlc. This is also the reason I don't discuss things like a peasant estate. Unless pdx discontinues this system of regional updates and does something like an art of war update (which I hope they will do at some point in time) it is unlikely to see a paid for dlc about scandinavia.

3. As I said I could see the caroleans as special units, I find your desire for a greater mechanic to be outside the general scope of special units other countries has, with a serious of special effects and modifiers to carolean units. This does not necessarily argue against having caroleans units, but does tie into previous to points why it might be unlikely to see them as such

I'm happy though to see someone commenting on the mission tree I designed! I had hoped for more feedback and maybe suggestions for even more missions in this thread

Schleswig-Holstein Question
Yes I know, I keep coming up with new ideas as I process the topic and blabla superannoying, but let's take a look at everyones favourite duchy, Schleswig-Holstein. I have already discussed the political status of Schleswig and Holstein in my OP. And hinted as possible divisions of new provinces. Now I'm gonna do a full sketch over several possible new provinces in the schleswig holstein area, note I'm not trying to say all suggested changes should happen, I'm listing possibilities for devs to later ocnsider, possibly already for the europe patch even.

One thing which has been my goal with this has been to make Schleswig it's own area, as I currently don't want Schleswig in the germany region, it should rightfully be part of scandinavia.

Jutland_Peninsula_map.PNG

The area in question (yes, Vendsyssel makes an excellent new province)

The political look of Schleswig-Holstein during the timeline:
800px-Map_SLH-1650.png

For more detail look here http://www.tacitus.nu/historical-atlas/scandinavia/schleswig-holstein.htm . Now it's impossible and not even preferable to split the duchies after these weird feudal construction. Instead I looked at different new approaches focusing on more simple geographical features and historical regions.

2019-04-16.png

Now what is going on here? From south I have proposed a Wagria province, consisting of eastern Holstein, and the island of Fehmarn, historically part of Schleswig, erroneously part of the danish islands in game and should most conveniently (I toyed with the idea of making it it's own province) be part of Wagria or just Holstein if no new province is made. Also new strait from Holstein to Lolland :)
Dithmarschen has shrunk a little bit as it is somewhat too large (next pic shows how the holstein region historically looked). Technically Holstein could eat part of Hamburg but I'm not gonna push that point.
Dividing Schleswig is often done on the modern border, which doesn't represent any pre 1864 political or administrative division but it's hell of a lot practical, the area anyway will never be able to be represented well by those criterias. It just works well how the border uses the Flensburgfjord as a partly natural border, making a south Schleswig (let's call it Schleswig) contra a north schleswig (let's call it Hadersleben). Schleswig Should have Flensburg as capitol though, and have a lvl 1 CoT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flensburg#Early_modern_times
The two other possible provinces in Schleswig, one of which should be choosen, is a North Frisia province, THIS ONLY BE RELEVANT IF FRISIAN CULTURE, which would include the island of Heligoland. Other option is province of Sönderborg (only glorious swedish Ö in this thread) Which would consist of the islands of Als and Ärö (Only glorious swedish Ä in this thread). Even if this province ain't made reality, Ärö, which is currently part of Funen province, should be made part of Schleswig and more straits should be made. I also moved the border of Schleswig slightely south, to follow the Eider better

100263_026_1.jpg

(Also Lübeck to Holstein area with new province to Mecklenburg in europe patch, Hopefully)

Edit:
And like seriously, I took another look at the map and realized Lauenburg province is crazily oversized

Herzogtum_Sachsen_Lauenburg_1400.PNG

Increasing the size of Holstein on the expense of Lauenburg and Dithmarchen should easily make room for two or even three provinces provinces,

I'm gonna make a few different proposals:

Base map:
Holstein bas karta.png

This is what I call the base map, the territory Holstein has to play with after gaining territory from Dithmarschen Hamburg, Lübeck and Lauenburg, and loosing a little to schleswig. From here there are many ways to divide the current area. Since it is not possible to use any contemporaery administrative divisions, I decided to utilize the traditional division, which still was carried by the dukes of holstein/kings of denmark.

Holstein bas karta.png

Here I have provinces for the traditional regions of Holstein, the borders are not exact, as that wouldn't be very practical: green is Holstein proper with capital in Kiev, red is Wagria, including the island of Fehmarn, capitol would be Plön or Eutin, could be controlled by Clergy to represent the prince-bishops of Lübeck. Blue is Stormarn, a historical Gau, this area could be controlled by noble estate, or even start as independent, representing the counts of Holstein-Schaumburg (the original counts who controlled Holstein) tag then would be Schaumburg, but I doubt it'd be considered large/significant enough to be added to the game.

Alternative to this division, is a simpler two way split. But I wanted to look at the full possibilities of splitting this area

Last edited:
So on another topic since I don't know enough about Denmarks history: The Governors-General of Grand Duchy of Finland. There were Governor-Generals appointed in all "dominions" of Sweden, but Finland has a...particular role; Particularly exemplified by the Hakkapeliitta.

The Grand Duchy often acted more like a March under the Governor-Generals and by the games standards was. With the exception that the governor-general was appointed for by the King of Sweden sporadically through out history.
Most or all of Finland was granted to this governor-general, who took care of the matters in the eastern part of the country more or less according to his own best judgement.
One of these governors left an expression in the Finnish language: "Kreivin aikaan", "In the Counts Time" meaning something fortuitous happening at the right time.
This was Count Per Brahe whose rule was a particularly good period in the history of Finland. He reformed the whole administration, introduced a postal system, founded ten new towns, improved and developed commerce and agriculture, and very greatly promoted education; In 1640 he opened the Royal Academy of Turku, of which he was the founder, and first chancellor.
The base of his statue in Turku bears the inscription "I was well pleased with the land and the land with me".

This historical back drop, or any equivalent, could be a great opportunity to introduce a "Governor" system in to the State mechanics of the game, but that's a broader topic for another time.

All of this context boils down to this; The Grand Duchy of Finland(which was the official title for the time) should be a March under the current game rules, but if a kind of Immersion Pack or Content Patch were to be made as @AirikrStrife is suggesting/building, then Finland could have some very interesting mechanics associated with it; A march-like internal division of the Kingdom of Sweden, which is ruled by an appointed Governor-General, from where one could raise Hakkapeliitta cavalry units for the cost of autonomy.
Since the idea then was that the people who offered a cavalryman for the Crowns service was equipped, to the Crowns stated standard, by those same people in exchange for tax exception or tax freeze for as long as they provided the said cavalrymen.

A unique unit that costs autonomy to raise from Finnish cultured provinces would be a pretty neat and fitting twist on the already introduced Banners system from Mandate of Heaven.
This would also mean that the peasantry, or rather the land-owning peasantry called "Säätyläiset" loosely translated in meaning as "the estatees" would have to represented in some way since they held actual power in the Riksdag(the Swedish Diet) already prior to this.
Considering how the developers asked for peoples opinions for how to develop and improve the Estate system, some rules for as to how a flavorful and "special" Estate the likes of which we saw in Dharma(not to mention the Cossacs) could emerge.

Oh dear this was supposed to be a short version...

Anyway those are some of my thoughts on mechanics or rather features for this suggestion.

Last edited:
I also took inspiration from @Entrone and included a Vytegra province, part of Beloozero area. Unclear if this province would have novgorod culture, or karelian as a stand in for veps. Entrone, have you been able to figure out population of this area? I can't find mentions of any russians town or villages from before 1470's, so I consider it plausible to still be Vepsian

Edit: I think Karelia should exist as a tag from the beginning of the game, not only appear as a revolter state, historically the region did have a strong political organization prior to being more or less voluntarily incorporated into Novgorod

Sorry for late answer, but better late than never.
I didn't find anything about the culture of the population, and as Vytegra was founded just a few years later than the start of the game, it could be Vepsian/Karelian.
On the other hand Novgorodians settled quite early northward, so it's likely they already had a strong presence, even if not a town, so it could be Novgorodian too.

I would like to highlight though that currently the Beloozero-Novgorod border is not accurate, Beloozero shouldn't strech as far north, it was a quite straight line.
Like this:
ae253cf2eefb09e12aee7208b03f658a.jpg

So, since we could see in the last months dev diaries, what the devs are planning in Northern Germany, I see your Denmark in a new light.
Next to that Pomerania, Mecklenburg and Lower Saxony, I think divifing Schleswig not just advisable, but necessary. The devs probably added Frisian culture, accordint to this pic they posted about new cultures :)
upload_2019-5-6_14-54-18.png

So it would be great to see Nordfriesland as a separate province, and splitting the remaining of it horizontally is quite obvious.
So we either should have a 5 province Schleswing-Holstein, with the addition of Holstein and Dithmarshen, or a 3 porvince Schlewsig, and by adding one more province (my pick would be Wagria), a 3 province Holstein. I'm okay with both.

In Jytland, probably that Vendsyssel is the best prossible addition. Regarding the islands, having 4 province, with the splitting of Sjaelland into Roskile and Kobenhavn is just fine.
Bornholm fits Skane right, but what about that line in Halland, in your first post?

Last edited:
Schleswig needs to become it's own area, part of nordic region. I am actually also thinking Sönderborg (the islands I circled is a good province too for depth).

Holstein looks hard to split because they made all surrounding provinces overlarge, but it could easily be split into two (I would go Kiel in the east and probably Rendsburg for the central bulk)

But tbh it's not impossible to do it a three way split either. Then Holstein area would be Dithmarschen, 2-3 provinces in Holsteinian provinces.

I asked them about schleswig-holstein, and a dev just responded that schleswig wasn't part of this focus, no comment on holstein. As Holstein is a semi-scandinavian land they might put it all off for a later focus

Essentially I was trying a lot of ideas for giving denmark more provinces, some not particularly good (like trying to split off more islands) and also splitting Halland, by the time I changed my mind I couldn't ctrl-z that line as I done more new ones. In middle ages Halland were split between north and south, and still today there are marked dialectal differences with northern halland speaking götamål and southern halland speaking south swedish.

Because Sweden conquered Skåneland, leaving Denmark with a one-province area.

Because exactly that happened :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lands_of_Denmark

"Bornholm is the only part to represent Scania after the rest of the region was lost to Sweden in 1658. (Bornholm was also lost in 1658, but was recovered two years later.)"

Bornholm is geographically closer to Scania, and as you can see, it was considered to be part of it.
Besides Denmark usually doesen't have problems with state numbers, even if they inherit Norway.

Because exactly that happened :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lands_of_Denmark

"Bornholm is the only part to represent Scania after the rest of the region was lost to Sweden in 1658. (Bornholm was also lost in 1658, but was recovered two years later.)"

Bornholm is geographically closer to Scania, and as you can see, it was considered to be part of it.
Besides Denmark usually doesen't have problems with state numbers, even if they inherit Norway.
I know it happened :)
It's closer geographically, true. And AI Denmark will practically never run into problems with states, so I guess it doesn't really matter. It would only be a noticeable change for a human player, but a human will probably not lose Skåneland in the first place, so in the end, it wouldn't matter if it's in the Scania area or the Zealand/Denmark/Danish Islands area (I have no idea what it's called). It can be part of the Scania area (A.K.A. I retract my silly suggestion). It would look better on the areas map mode.

As a norwegian, do you have any thoughts on norwegian NI and potential mission tree?

I made a very short tree here:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/scandinavian-mission-trees.1085530/

Of course my swedish tree is much more developed, and I guess it's justified given the differences in our history throughout the time. But a couple of more missions would be cool. Maybe some big building project or similiar which happened in norway can be represented (not just literally buildings/cities but building armies, universities etc)