Guarantee independence half-broken?? You can't accept call to arms.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

KubiG37

Colonel
45 Badges
Apr 11, 2016
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
I've noticed and later confirmed it again today, that there's something very wrong with Guarantee independence. It's weird no one noticed it?? There are no threads about it.

The problem is, if the aggressor is already at war with some Faction and declares war on a country guaranteed by non-involved nation - the defending AI country sends call to arms via the guarantee just as it should, but it also immediately joins the other faction (if that's possible), which cancels the original call the arms (it shows in your UI, but when you click on it, it just disappears.)

Specific example - I'm playing UK in a non-historical game. Axis is at war with Trotsky's (mostly) communist faction, it is also at war with French Faction (France is fascist, and there are mix of various nations), now Germany is happily attacking all the countries I'm guaranteeing - Yugoslavia, Luxembourg, Poland... and I CAN'T accept the call to arms and enter the bloody war!! They just join some random faction and I'm still at peace.

So at speed 3 you basically have something like 0,1s to pause the game instantly the moment the war is declared, and accept the call to arms, otherwise the AI just joins any other available faction and voids the guarantee (without any stability hit to me)... WTF is this??

I've seen the same thing a few times playing as the US in some alt history games. Basically if Great Britain goes anything but democratic, and Mexico declares on Great Britain, and then starts marching southward, each nation Mexico declares on will "call you" but immediately join Great Britain. (leaving you with nothing when you answer the call). Kind of annoying as it forces you to take some "offensive war" penalties that you would otherwise not have to take.

Still, you can't expect perfection from alt history (even if some of them turn out interesting...).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sounds like an issue related to the "auto-join" feature, as I call it. Faction 1 is at war with faction 2, then attacks a neutral nation. The neutral nation automatically gets an invite into faction 2 without the faction leader's input, and the AI will instantly accept it. I assume this exists to make sure that all those smaller nations that Germany attacks actually end up in the Allies instead of getting blitzed and annexed by Germany before diplomacy can catch up, which would mean it's working as intended.

This has been a thing for years and is especially annoying when you are the faction leader and nations keep joining your faction that you don't want in there. The invite is automatic and you can't just kick the nation again because you're fighting in the same war.

Reactions: