• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rome - can't even stop a crash on exit.

I remember seeing this addressed in the Rome forum, it was not practical to spend the resources tracking down that bug when other problems could be fixed in that game and others, and I for one agree, given the choice between an exit crash and something else working properly while I play ... gimme the exit crash in every game I own.

HOI3 - still loads of issues.
Welcome to Paradox. The games traditionally get better after several patches.

Get over with it, it never was any different.

And you blow Victoria to the "older games" section replaced by Victoria2 and another new game.

Either you've been smoking something or you've drunk the marketing department Kool Aid.

Are you really trying to out run Battlefront in the "How to annoy your customers" race?

Victoria is anticipated by many and prolly won't delay the patching team in the slightest.

FTG is a EU2 gold-extended-and-more-modable, which is an offer to ye olde EU2 community that didn't fully move on to EU3. It probably doesn't require a terrible lot of effort, but I'm looking forward to buying it. The changes we wished forever are worth my money, that's for sure.

And please, be more respectful in your speech.

Victoria is anticipated by many and prolly won't delay the patching team in the slightest.

FTG is a EU2 gold-extended-and-more-modable, which is an offer to ye olde EU2 community that didn't fully move on to EU3. It probably doesn't require a terrible lot of effort, but I'm looking forward to buying it. The changes we wished forever are worth my money, that's for sure.

And please, be more respectful in your speech.

I think the patch and dev teams are separate anyway so one shouldn't affect the other.

FTG is, if posts there are to be trusted, is largely a port over of the AGEEEC mod and shouldn't require too many resources which is supported by the possible end of year release.

The flaws of HoI3 and other older games should not prevent Paradox to work on a new title. Most of the video gaming companies are working on several different projects. PI, as any profit oriented company, will have to grow larger and I have read on the forum that PI is going to hire new programmer which means they are enlarging. So, this announcement, I think, is right.

Paradox certainly kept patching up EU2 even while they were working on other titles. They brought CK from a near trainwreck at release to an extremely fun game while making new games as well. You'll excuse me if I trust them to be able to make new games and fix up the old ones at the same time.

I've bought EU2, EU3, CK, and Vicky all pretty close to their respective release dates and almost every single one of them started out as a total trainwreck (EU3 was a decent release, in hindsight.) That being said, all of those games after a few patches became truly enjoyable experiences for me. Am I essentially paying to be a Paradox beta tester? Yeah, kinda...but since they end up turning into games I really like I don't mind.

I'd disagree with Victoria being a trainwreck on release. They ended up making a load of tweaks to the game in patches, but the base was solid, and pretty stable on the release date. It was pretty much the stablest Paradox game on release I've seen.

When you first start playing Victoria 2 it will be difficult not be upset about the (necessary) changes. Much like shifting from EU2 to EU3 and HOI2 to HOI3. Yes, you need to relearn the game. Yes, you will complain about the map. Just keep in mind that those who stuck with EU3 learned to love it. Same will hold for the other two.

Victoria 2 will probably be a great game. It won't be Victoria, though. Keep that in mind when you wait anxiously for the next DD which you will fit into "your" mental version of the game to be, likely to be more alike to the old game than it will turn out to be.

The HOI3 forum is kinda depressing and I remember when I started playing EU3 I felt disappointed. But not for long.

Here's hoping that the old Victoria crowd can manage their own expectations a little. :D

p.s. Yes, I'm thrilled by the announcement, I admit. :rofl:

Whatever about the game upon release, I have full faith in Paradox to patch the game well, and I (we all) know OHgamer will pounce on the chance to mod Victoria II, from the map to the workings of the game itself.

Everything will be fine.

Wow - I stepped on a landmine didn't I ?

I have Victoria and Victoria Complete, so that means I don't get a little hat, but I do get the presumption from dickweeds that I don't own or play the game. Thanks.

Paradox games have given me hours of amusement, and the forums increasingly so.

I invest in software companies and I'm well aware that version 2 usually does at least most of what version 1 promised. I want Paradox to succeed but I fear they may be spreading their resources too thinly.

Sometimes it's easier to write a new game than fix a previous game. Rome with 3D map put on top of old EU3 engine isn't probably tons of fun to work on.

I hoped for CK2 but I guess a game with the whole world in it will sell better. Vicky would be my third choice after CK2 and EU4.

Just curious. What does CK2 stand for? :p

Sorry I'm new to Paradox titles.

I have been on (or more often lurking) these forums since before EU1 came out and as far as I can tell almost all major Paradox products had issues upon release.

Most companies would stave off a release until they had better working product and thus we usually expect that.

But what makes Paradox so different is that they patch a game until it works okay and then keep on patching/tweaking it until it is something truly wonderful.

I am more than willing to put up with the former for the chance of the latter.

Just curious. What does CK2 stand for? :p

Sorry I'm new to Paradox titles.

CK stands for Crusader Kings, the game of PI beginning in the medieval period of crusades till the fall of Constantinople (1066-1453).

I wonder what the thread starter have smoked. Whatever it is, I don't want it.

It's very good, but it's old and have its flaws. Played it massively back in the days.

Honestly the doom and gloom from some posters is really getting a bit much. Let's see what the development diaries bring first to see what exactly things will be like, and then see what a demo might be like to play, before proclaiming that V2 will be some sort of "disaster" on release.

These threads really serve no purpose, so please do not start them unless you have concrete proof that the game is going to have all sorts of problems on release. Every project is different, and to say that Victoria 2 must repeat the experience of HoI3 is pure speculation, nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.