• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dunka2

Colonel
96 Badges
Sep 10, 2007
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
Problems:

So the family system is still a mess and unengaging. Reducing the total number of Great Families to 5 for the largest empires was supposedly to lessen the amount of character management and make characters more engaging, but without reducing the total number of jobs, this change was never going to achieve its stated goals. Instead, we now have characters with often the same exact names because there are now fewer last names to go around. It can be quite hard (especially with the event where a former ruler demands a job) to even find whoever an event is talking about because of this.

Then there's the immersion issue. Families rising and falling is now an all or nothing system, and in the case with Rome, either you take extra special precautions to raise up the Julii, or the entire family is lost to history. This is the same with Atii, Curii, Junii, Pompeii, Marii, all families that dominated the politics of Rome. Without them, its a never-ending parade of the same families throughout the whole game.

Finally there's the perennial lack of characters in these families. Because of the arbitrary block on most characters even marrying, Great Families have to perpetually adopt minor characters, and often fail to do so. This also has the result that most everyone is incredibly old. This is annoying in republics because all minor characters are always populists due to the overlarge boost to populist conviction they get, but in monarchies it can ruin entire games as legitimacy crumbles in the face of a parade of elderly rulers.

Suggestions:

Now it is clear that the devs don't want to clone CK (though I feel this is a mistake as that character system is endlessly engaging) but removing the arbitrary block on characters marrying would go a long way towards solving the above issues and make the game more engaging. At the moment, a lot of characters are modifiers that sometimes (or often) murder each other, but if they had families, that would give them a bit more life.

I also suggest rolling back the Great Families concept somewhat, but instead of just having all families represented, instead have some Great Families with the rest being Minor Families. Only great families will demand positions as a matter of course, but minor families might start getting feisty if they have a particularly skilled member who you aren't employing.

Finally I think the automatic scorned family modifier should only kick in if the Head of Family demands a job for someone and you refuse. At the moment having to reshuffle jobs once someone dies is tiresome busy work and personally takes me out of enjoying the game each time. Whether a Head of Family demands a job could also be influenced by other things such as whether they are friends with the ruler, greedy, or content, not just some yearly tick as is too often the case with characters. There should also be the option to just pay the family off with either personal funds or from the national treasury.

Quickly I think that all family members should get a boost to party conviction for the party that the Head of Family belongs to as this was historical and would also help insure that there are actually enough characters in each party instead of everyone being populists after a couple decades.

Reasons:

So I've already outlined the reasons for my suggestions, but to reiterate: that above changes would make characters more interesting and dynamic while reducing the bother and annoyance that comes from managing them and the Great Families. That's not to say characters shouldn't be annoying at all, but instead of a bare mechanic that just increases busy-work, characters should be annoying as an aspect of gameplay.

That being said, I want to congratulate the devs on a fantastic relaunch of the game. I personally feel that the only issues left to fix for imperator are the diplomacy system and characters/families which is truly something great to be able to say. Keep up the amazing work!

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
I agree, I feel like multiple minor families would be better than the current mess. I'd also like if families were considered transnational, like in CK3.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Very reasonable suggestions.

I've wanted to see minor families represented on the family screen. They can all be lumped under one line (I remember in original release, each separate family got their own line). And that would allow them to marry, keep their name, and you would be able to review them more easily than the character finder tab.

it would also allow a great family to fall into the minor family line without being completely eliminated. I had a case where a great family fell. The new family who replaced it just had a few members - I think they ended up adopting members of the old family. Whatever they did, they adopted a ton of people, and basically, they weren't really a family.

If there are going to be changes about the job situation (and there definitely needs to be), it shouldn't be the case that you can agree to give someone a job, and then immediately fire and replace them. Or even, you jail someone because of the event, and then on the same day release and re-appoint them. (1) General and admiral jobs are able to be time locked (2) CK has the locked job function as well. I don't understand why they weren't able to apply it to all jobs.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Finally there's the perennial lack of characters in these families. Because of the arbitrary block on most characters even marrying, Great Families have to perpetually adopt minor characters, and often fail to do so. This also has the result that most everyone is incredibly old. This is annoying in republics because all minor characters are always populists due to the overlarge boost to populist conviction they get, but in monarchies it can ruin entire games as legitimacy crumbles in the face of a parade of elderly rulers.

The lack of characters seems to be tied to the fact that the AI doesn't want to marry characters, for fear of not having any viable suitors for the player's ruling family. Ironically, this leads to a baby bust, causing a lack of viable suitors anyway. My suggestion is to allow the AI to more freely marry it's characters, so as to make more characters. This can be offset by introducing divorce as a mechanic. It causes a loss of loyalty to the head of the family the divorcee belongs to, and maybe some lost prestige, but would allow for a much larger dating pool for characters in general. Additionally, it's historical AF, as divorces were quite common.

Reactions:
I hated the original family implementation with a ton of minor families with huge numbers of members, and enjoy the "tedious reshuffling" as you call it; the only thing I want out of the character system is more unreasonable political demands from heads of families or particularly powerful individuals (e.g. generals and governors) and a better ability for minor families to rise to prominance over old major families so that things get shaken up a bit from time to time.

Imperator characters don't have to be individually particularly interesting as long as the greater political influence and impact of the major families is enough to make distributing offices interesting.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Think these are some good suggestions.
Problems:

Now it is clear that the devs don't want to clone CK (though I feel this is a mistake as that character system is endlessly engaging) but removing the arbitrary block on characters marrying would go a long way towards solving the above issues and make the game more engaging. At the moment, a lot of characters are modifiers that sometimes (or often) murder each other, but if they had families, that would give them a bit more life.
This is a no-brainer. There was already a mod doing this (altho I've just checked and the updated version seems to have been taken down for some reason) and the game plays much better with it imo.

Finally I think the automatic scorned family modifier should only kick in if the Head of Family demands a job for someone and you refuse. At the moment having to reshuffle jobs once someone dies is tiresome busy work and personally takes me out of enjoying the game each time. Whether a Head of Family demands a job could also be influenced by other things such as whether they are friends with the ruler, greedy, or content, not just some yearly tick as is too often the case with characters. There should also be the option to just pay the family off with either personal funds or from the national treasury.
This I think would make a big difference, despite being a small change. One of the big issues with the system atm is it's completely, completely mechanical. There are always X familes. Every family always demands a number of jobs equal to a ratio between X and the total number of jobs. As soon as this ratio is disturbed, the entire family will immediately know and immediately expect you to act. You don't feel like you're managing relations with your empire's powerbrokers - you feel like you're responding mechanically to a game mechanic. Having it with a bit more lag, a bit more varied, a bit more random, but with that variation tied to the traits and relationships of the characters, would make it a lot more immersive and engaging, I think.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Think these are some good suggestions.

This is a no-brainer. There was already a mod doing this (altho I've just checked and the updated version seems to have been taken down for some reason) and the game plays much better with it imo.

This I think would make a big difference, despite being a small change. One of the big issues with the system atm is it's completely, completely mechanical. There are always X familes. Every family always demands a number of jobs equal to a ratio between X and the total number of jobs. As soon as this ratio is disturbed, the entire family will immediately know and immediately expect you to act. You don't feel like you're managing relations with your empire's powerbrokers - you feel like you're responding mechanically to a game mechanic. Having it with a bit more lag, a bit more varied, a bit more random, but with that variation tied to the traits and relationships of the characters, would make it a lot more immersive and engaging, I think.

This is exactly how I feel with respect to the scorned family mechanic. It really speaks to a larger issue with the entire game: Imperator lacks life besides the movement of pops. Countries can feel frighteningly similar besides their starting position. Figure out how to play a monarchy, and you can play any monarchy. Rinse and repeat for tribes or republics.

And I actually had a mod up ages ago that allowed the player to arrange marriages themselves and automatically created characters for other to marry after a certain level of prominence was reached, but I stopped updating it back in 2019. Perhaps I'll revive it.

• 1Like
Reactions: