• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

mukkore

Private
17 Badges
Jul 15, 2019
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Hey, I was advised to repost this problem here after posting on the 1.30 update forum.

So I updated and tried launching EU4 and got a bunch of errors related to my graphic card.

"The graphics card dectected does not have 512MB of video memory. Europa Universalis IV require at least 512MB of video memory to work properly.

The graphics card detected does not support Shader Model 3.0. Europa Universalis IV require at least Shader Model 3.0 to work properly."

Is the update supposed to demand this? Game worked fine in 1.29.

Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-EU4
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/EU4 AND Documents/Paradox/EU4 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add EU4.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam EU4 or Documents EU4 locations, before installing again.

If that doesn't help, DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/EU4/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/EU4/logs/ folder, attach system.log .

@AndrewT

Thanks for the reply. I tried the steps mentioned above but it's still not working.

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
    249 bytes · Views: 0
  • system.log
    1,9 KB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag2.txt
    81,2 KB · Views: 0
  • settings.txt
    2 KB · Views: 0
So, I'mma bump this.

I managed to reinstall my Intel drivers and they're working fine again.

Now the screen loads for a bit and then crashes.

Attachments

• DxDiag3.txt
    111,9 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    309 bytes · Views: 0
  • settings.txt
  • system.log
    12,2 KB · Views: 0
From your system.log it looks like the game is using your intel graphic card, but the opengl libraries from nvidia. That could be the cause of your problem. You can try to right click on eu4.exe and then select properties. In one of the tabs of that window there should be the option to select which graphics card the game should use. Try to select your nvidia card there.

Disclaimer: I'm not working for Paradox. I'm just trying to help people.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you @grotaclas :)

I've been looking up at the web to see how to reroute the game to use the GPU. I manage to do tell start the game now by telling it to run via GPU but the game is super buggy, all the flags being black and I don't go by the launcher so I can't chose to use mods or not. :/

But, even as I ran from the launcher, when it just crashed, NVIDIA said it was running EU4 in their display thingie.

Last edited:
Thank you @grotaclas :)

I've been looking up at the web to see how to reroute the game to use the GPU. I manage to do tell start the game now by telling it to run via GPU but the game is super buggy, all the flags being black and I don't go by the launcher so I can't chose to use mods or not. :/

But, even as I ran from the launcher, when it just crashed, NVIDIA said it was running EU4 in their display thingie.
The black flags can probably be fixed by removing the flags folder in "Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\gfx" (not the one in your game installation folder).
Did you try to start the game from the launcher again after configuring eu4.exe to use your nvidia card? What happens then?

And you can try to set the display mode to "borderless fullscreen" in the launcher. That often helps with problems with nvidia cards.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The flags got fixed by deleting the /gfx/ folder, thank you. :)

The game launcher has the same problems though. Using borderless fullscreen, it starts, shows me the Europa Universalis IV loading screen and will go on for a little bit and then crash.

So far, starting from eu4_profiling.exe seems to be the fastest and most reliable. From what we've done I'm guessing the issue now is that there might be some disconnect between the launcher and the game. So I might be able to get around this by telling the launcher to use the gpu. Now to find out that .exe.

hi i was palying yesterday, today i updated some system stuff and now i have this problem graphics card not support shader model 3.0 . i have a RTX 2080 on my laptop
here are my files.

update: i changed the settings under nvidea control panel, under 3d settings see attachment (Screenshot2). also this by its self fixes nothing but in launcher i changed from fullscreen to Windowed and the game works fine now. :) not sure where the problem is but setting it in windowed mode fixes it ( windowed mode still gives me full-screen as it was not windowed)

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    127,6 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    238 bytes · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    104,5 KB · Views: 0
  • settings.txt
  • system.log
    4,7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
so i guess we wont be getting help
Your update made it seem that you found a solution for your problem. What problem do you still have that doesn't get fixed by using your nvidia card and running the game in borderless fullscreen?