• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Emir's stern and aged face did not reveal his elation at the offer of the Grand Duke. It was like bargining in the market; you start by offering a most ridiculous price and then come down to the real price you would sell for in the first place.

You are most wise, your Grace. I am sure your warriors would not even make it to the Balcans before they would mutiny if drafted into war in the south against Hungary or the Turks. It would be their loss in plunder, but still it is understandible.

So the idea of a limited agreement for the use of Muscovites in only Rus and the lands of the Liths is very good. With such an agreement, things shall be returned to the way they were in the old days, when Muscovy helped to crush the haughty prince of Ryazan. It shall please the Khan that you are willing to serve us with blood as well as gold.​

Dmitrii nodded. Best to keep the Mongol's amiable by acting friendly towards them, despite the deep hatred of the Tartars had by the Russians in general.

"Then it is agreed. Shall we draw up some papers and make this official?"

Valdonius Virguntas rode into Moscow. He paid little attention to his surroundings; he had but one mission: deliver a message. He rode through the streets up to the gates of the Kremlin itself. Opening a burlap sack he carried with him, he took a good grip on his baggage, put it back over his head and lobbed it into the courtyard. Were he still alive, Semyon Vladimirovich would have gotten an excellent view of the Kremlin walls as his head flipped end over end into the green grass. Instantly he dashed out of the city as quickly as he could, trying to make his way back to Lithuania as quickly as possible.

Arrival of Archbishop Demetrios

byzantion7ic.gif

Archbishop Demetrios of Thessalonica, after many hard weeks of riding, finally arrives in Moscow. After resting for several days, he asks for an audience with the Prince of Moscow.

Last edited:
mosc.bmp

"Certainly, sir,"

Inside the Muscovite court

Dmitrii Donskoi greeted the Archbishop with open arms. The Greeks were brothers of the Rus, despite the vast land between them. Their bond by religion was stronger than any other. And they both shared the misfortune of being at the mercy of larger, muslim states.

"Welcome, Archbishop. I am open for discussion. What is it the Emperor wishes to converse about?"

The Archbishop and the Prince

byzantion7ic.gif

Archbishop Demetrios' spirits were immediately lifted by the warm embrace and greeting of the Moscovite Prince Dimitrii. At last, he could do some good for the Church..

"First, I must thank you for the proper respect you have just shown me. These Lithuanians.." The Archbishop shuddered theatrically. "Ah, the less I think about the Lithuanians, the better off I am. Good Prince, the Emperor John V personally requested that I travel to Russia, to determine the status of the Church and all loyal Princes, and to make such alliances as can be made. Naturally, once I heard that you are engaging the Lith, to force their Prince to convert to Christianity, I had to go to Moscow first."

A servant brings the Archbishop an ornate French cup, filled with the finest Russian drink. With a sniff of the cup, the Archbishop quickly determines it's not wine. Swirling the amber-gold liquid in the cup, he gingerly takes a sip of the drink, and makes a concerted effort not to flinch. No, it surely wasn't wine. "Ah.. as I was saying. Prince Dimitrii, it would be the pleasure of the Roman Emperor to subsidize your war against the Lith, so that good Christians can be freed from pagan rule. Admittedly," the Archbishop paused, "Gaining Kiev itself might be out of the question.. but Smolensk should make a fine apanage for your son, I believe?"

After a moment of reflection, the Archbishop continues. "Oh.. additionally, I have heard rumors that there is some sort of renegade Lithuanian Prince who claims rulership over all the Liths. Perhaps, if you know anything more about this, you could locate him and convince him to convert? If you were to do so, and this became a war to place a good Christian on the Lithuanian throne, in his rightful place, I believe that the aids sent by the Emperor would greatly increase, and your family would greatly increase in prestige otherwise.."

A letter arrived from the Grand Duke Jogaila of Lithuania.
Holy Duke of Muscowy,

I would like very much to apologize for the actions of my regent and cousin, Zygimantas. He has been chased from my lands and my men are currently hunting him down like the dog that he is. I ask you now to grant me a ceasefire that I may make a most crucial pilgrimage, to Constantinople. You see, I plan to convert to the excellent religion of Christianity. I am still choosing between following the religion of Rome or that of Constantinople, but quite honestly the Roman schismatics have quite offended me with their "holy crusade" against all Lithuanians. I believe we must stand together against these overzealous fools! Now I ask you, will you grant me at least a temporary ceasefire while I make my pilgrimage?

A Gift From Heaven

byzantion7ic.gif

As the messenger from Lithuania read aloud the letter of Grand Duke Jogaila, Archbishop Demetrios fell to his knees in front of the Prince.

"O God, you are truely a most powerful, wise, and wondrous God!" Looking up at the Prince, still on his knees, the Archbishop said, "Perhaps, Prince Dimitrii, you could make the pilgrimage to Constantinople with myself and the Grand Duke of Lithuania? The Emperor has expressed interest in the notion of marrying one of his daughters to your son and heir, connecting the Imperial family to one of the sons of Rurik.."

mosc.bmp

Dmitrii looked calmly upon the archbishop. He had shared the letter, but was not so enthusiastic.

"I will have a response sent to the Lithuanian duke. I am afraid I cannot guarantee peace until he had guaranteed his conversion. Official peace with Lithuania cannot be made without some tribute, hopefully a small peice of land, as his deputy did murder my ambassador. " He paused for a moment, not wanting to alienate the Archbishop. "Your grace, I would be glad to accompany you and the Grand Duke of Lithuania to Constantinople instead of marching with my army to besiege Wilno as I have been planning.

"I suppose I will have my son take care of things in the north. Perhaps he could use my army to ensure no pretender attempts to sieze power while the Grand Duke is away, as I hear is common in pagan cultures. Once Jogaila has converted and is firmly in power in Lithuania, I will gladly agree to a peace much more modest than my ultimatum. Forgive me for being rather cautious and sceptical.

"Oh, and your grace, you mentioned marriage?"