• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Smileyou

Second Lieutenant
15 Badges
Aug 31, 2014
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
Hi,

i have issues understanding some mechanism of the game, as Russia went to war against Austria (GP), and Austria had no GP allies, anyhow, as i DoW Austria i see UK joining war IMMEDIATELY, in some other games it was France..

As i understood only if GP attacks small country and you (As a GP) have friendly status with them you can intervene IF war score if negative for the small country..

So, why is other non-allied GP intervening in a war?

If
1) Austria is a GP
2) Austria does not have any allies
3) You DoW'd Austria
then that should not be happening.

The AI can make and break alliances during wartime just fine, but I have never seen it call any allies into war at any point except for the start of one.
Do you have a save from just before you DoW'd? That might help.

no, no save, maybe i was blind and though no alliance, or maybe they allied just before the war and i got unlucky.. will keep an eye on this mechanic if it repeats will follow on and put a save here.

tnx for the help, still struggling in understanding some mechanics, like especially why a factory would be RED in the money, i have the pops, i have the resources.. is it the market? u need to be 1st to be able to unload your products?

like especially why a factory would be RED in the money, i have the pops, i have the resources.. is it the market? u need to be 1st to be able to unload your products?
Several possible factors:

- The price of the input resources might be higher than the selling price of the finished product.

- The necessary resources might not be available to your factories because some GP is buying all of them before you (the resource should show a red background on the individual factories in your production screen).

- The market might be saturated to the point where you simply can't sell what your factories are producing (hovering over the various parts of your factory displays should show if they're selling all of their product, how much they're paying for resources, and how much they're earning).

The info is there, it's just difficult to find all of the relevant pieces, and subject to occasional errors in how it's calculated. Figuring out where any profits go is a bigger mess.

I just had another thought. I haven't seen it happen because I don't usually continue games for long (imagine it as having a short attention span; I don't usually get much further than the Scramble for Africa) but apparently Great Wars also work that way. It might be that.

I'm pretty sure it's a Russia-specific thing. If you are at war with another GP, any third GP may join in the middle. I had that twice with different mods active.

In Divergencies I attacked Japan near the end of the game and instead of a quick victorious war as was planned (ironic) fought all the rest (or almost all the rest) GPs up to the game's end date. I peaced out ones and the other still joined, that was incredibly frustrating.

Another time, I was playing Russia in HPM (or HFM? Not sure) and got a random event that releases Poland and forces me into a war against it (to simulate the Polish uprising). All's good, I have more than enough troops and money, but... Oops, the event-spawned war rendered me as an attacker. Some time into the war my only GP ally, NGF suddenly is on the Polish side without any firewarning or anything. I did notice only when my "allies" started fighting my stacks. Some other GP joined later and I ragequit.

Once again, never saw this happen when playing as any other GP but Russia, so this looks to me like a mechanic to simulate the Crimean War and/or keep Russia from getting too powerful, given how strong it may get in the player's hands, or both.

Reactions: