• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would like for species, depending on their ethics, to be inclined to certain types of government, so for some species the idea of a democracy is abhorrent and chaotic and they try to launch revolutions to install an autocratic emperor as leader, for example.

I don't know about that. Throughout History humans have tried all kinds of governments and ideologies and until today there is no real consensus about the one and only right way... It shows how diverse a species can be. So i would prefer at least some races to be open enough for developing a profile during the game. It is a bit diffrent than EUIV where you have national ideas to stir the countries path in a historically plausible direction. In this Space game, i think, shaping the character of a race should be kind of part of the game play. At least some races should be more flexible than others.
Nothing is more annoying than this SciFi/Fantasy-Racsim: They are dwarfs, they just do mining and are greedy... -.- BORING!

Dont get me wrong though, if there are some races that have a very specific determined profile, thats cool for me - but please not all of them. I dont want this to be Civ.

Reactions:
I don't know about that. Throughout History humans have tried all kinds of governments and ideologies and until today there is no real consensus about the one and only right way... It shows how diverse a species can be. So i would prefer at least some races to be open enough for developing a profile during the game. It is a bit diffrent than EUIV where you have national ideas to stir the countries path in a historically plausible direction. In this Space game, i think, shaping the character of a race should be kind of part of the game play. At least some races should be more flexible than others.
Nothing is more annoying than this SciFi/Fantasy-Racsim: They are dwarfs, they just do mining and are greedy... -.- BORING!

Dont get me wrong though, if there are some races that have a very specific determined profile, thats cool for me - but please not all of them. I dont want this to be Civ.

While there is no consensus on the "right" government, you should note that most governments atleast pretend to be democratic. Examples like China and Cuba come to mind. Perhaps certain species may hate the idea of a democracy, a single ruler who is immune to corruption and can quickly react to the needs of the people are what they want.

Maybe there are companies that got such a monopoly ended up taking over the governments that once controlled them. Maybe the government is using mind control. I don't know, but there are tons of alternate routes to go.

Abandon Democracy and descend into Space-Fascism and Monarchism for the best results is what I say! Autocracy is King for expanding Empires.

Though with the Pops and Ideology system it looks like its going to be handled similar to Victoria. With custom races it'll probably mean picking a starting government and steering your population towards an Ideology, Eventually resembling something a Empire of hats as it becomes ideologically 'pure' or falling into upheaval and a new government being installed.

While there is no consensus on the "right" government, you should note that most governments atleast pretend to be democratic. Examples like China and Cuba come to mind.

That might be true, but democratic is in this case a word with a very wide meaning. The reason that the word democratic is so often used, even by government that are not democratic at all, is that they define in their terms. Like the GDR was a dictatorship but it was ment to be a government by and for the people. So, no i dont think humans have a democratic tendency. I think they are very pragmatic, and organize themselfs according to the (Ecological, Economical, Political, ect.) situation they face. They also get organized by others. Thats why government types changed so often in history. The word democratic is just a term you use to make your government seem more legit.

But i think we still have one point we both can agree on. For humans it seems to be very important that a government is legit (which often means, that it has to be good for the people in some way) even if that means that the people are just the appendix of a King or a God. Whats good for God, benefits the people. Everything else would be tyranny. Thats certainly a human pattern, i guess.

Reactions:
I definitely like the idea of flexible government types, especially if I want to create some sort of constitutional monarchy, or a totalitarian republic, or a feudal alien kingdom.

And I also hope that there is some mechanic to determine the level of decentralization of your empire, where it might be necessary to grant greater autonomy to your outer colonies as your empire starts to get too big.