• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very good, always love a good history book.

Reading this actually made me remember a Victoria 1 AAR I wrote. You are going to make me start reading it again!

Congrats HMAS-Nameless!

Hopefully we can get an update now :p

Congratulations.

Hi HMAS-Nameless.

For this excellent AAR I have nominated you for the WritAAR of the week reward.

Congrats.

Wow, thanks so much! This is a great honour!

@Tommy4ever
I actually have the next update already written I am just making up gfx atm. The delay is due to my commitments to finishing this latest version of Sexiicolours (Imperiosus Cultum) which I am releasing today. Hoepfully I'll put the new update later today!:)

Last edited:
chapter4.jpg

Near Aabenraa, Schleswig, King of Prussia.
August 23rd 1839
The water crashed on the rocky outcrop below the jagged cliff-face. Atop the headland looking out towards the sea was the Prussian General Joachim von Raunch stroking his greying beard and looking up into the summer skies above. Most of the funeral attendees had already left to begin the long the journey home. Behind him lay the tombstone of the man named Friedrich Reinhardt. Joachim felt more or less responsible for Friedrich’s death in the combat at Esbjerg. A grand Prussian General with nearly 35 years of service in his highness’s army did not need to be on the battlefield, Joachim thought to himself. Joachim knew that once the 50,000 Prussian soldiers under his command went on non-combat duty that he would finally put his career behind him and head into retirement or maybe dabble in politics with the Liberaldem. Suddenly footsteps begun to creep up behind him, “General Joachim von Raunch?” said a voice well known to Joachim.
“Albrecht von Oldenburg, what is it you inquire?” said Joachim as he turned around to greet his balding fellow General in the recent Schleswig-Holstein War.
“I come baring a message a message from Herr von Boehm” stated von Oldenburg.
With that he pulled his officer’s sword from its case and plunged it deep into Joachim’s stomach.
Joachim looked up in agony as von Oldenburg twisted and pulled the blade from his bleeding stomach. Joachim began to tremble backwards towards the cliff-face and lost his footing plummeting to the rocky outcrop at the base of the cliff.

Reactionary Power
With the alleged suicide of influential Liberal General, Joachim von Raunch the Liberal Faction in Prussia fell into disarray and a leadership struggle began within the Liberaldem. This was enough to allow the leader of the Prussian Reactionaries of the Legislative Assembly, Karl von Boehm, to assert power and convince the aging King of Prussia to give power to the reactionaries in parliament. The new leader of the legislative assembly took no time to spare and began enforcing his Faction’s policy upon the Kingdom of Prussia. On September 1st Karl von Boehm announced a massive set off plans for the Kingdom promoting Reactionary idealism. First he began by beginning to open new factories for the growing unemployed population of Prussia to work in, particularly in the Rheinland then be began the rebuilding of the outdated Prussian navy with a host of new ships and transport craft for overseas ventures in the future.

The Death of Friedrich Wilhelm III

On February 21st 1840 the Friedrich Wilhelm III, King of Prussia died at the age of sixty nine surrounded by family and parliamentary friends in his family’s palace in Berlin. His eldest son, Crown Prince Friedrich Wilhelm was called to Berlin where he ascended to the throne of Prussia as King Friedrich Wilhelm IV under the guidance and of Karl von Boehm before the Legislative Assembly as absolute ruler of the Prussian Kingdom.

250px-Frederick_William_IV_of_Prussia.jpg

Friedrich Wilhelm IV was a staunch Romanticist, and his devotion to this movement, which in the German States featured a nostalgia for the Middle Ages and old Holy Roman Empire, was largely responsible for him developing into a conservative at an early age.
He fought as a regular in the Wars of Liberation against Napoleon and in 1815, when he was only 20, the crown prince exerted his influence to structure the proposed constitution of 1815, which was never actually enacted, in such a way that the landed aristocracy would hold the majority of the power. He was firmly against both liberalisation and unification of Germany much to the liking of Karl von Boehm and the reactionaries in power.

Upon his accession, he toned down the reactionary policies enacted by his father and Karl von Boehm, easing press censorship and promising to enact a constitution at some point, but he refused to enact a people’s assembly, preferring to work with the aristocracy through "united committees" of the provincial estates and the aristocratic legislative assembly.

The National Railway

Through the use of their State Capitalism policy the Reactionary government began the massive construction of the Prussian National Railway. The massive railway set for completion in 1842 was set to connect all major cities of the Kingdom of Prussia by one massive interconnected rail system. During the Schleswig-Holstein War, Austria had made headway in race for German Dominance and had industrialized much of their nation in the progress. Although Friedrich Wilhelm and his reactionary advisors were highly conservative he did allow the regulation of child labour to a certain amount every year, following Britain in October 1840. However following the reform the Pro-Austrian Sphere of the German Confederation countered this by expelling all Prussian military advisors from Catholic Bavaria.

The Liberal Student’s Association

The Schleisen University was a hotbed controversy during the beginning of the cold winter months of late 1840. A new Liberal Movement was founded by radical youth and scholars of the University promoting voting rights, and what has been named ‘the traditional liberties of the Prussian realm’. Founded through traditional romanticist ideals and ‘the hope that through traditional freedom that Prussia shall become the second ancient Greece’ the Liberal Student Manifesto was published by the group and became a massive deal on campus and the surrounding area. Liberalism was now growing in Europe it would only be a matter of time before the new movement of freedom took hold in the strongest of nations.

800px-Berlin_Universitaet_um_1850.jpg

Schleisen University, the building often credited with sparking later Liberal ideals in Germany

Good old state capitalism. Where would we be without it?

Glad to see Prussia is being suitably reactionary, may the military aristocracy guide you well. :)

Good old state capitalism. Where would we be without it?

Glad to see Prussia is being suitably reactionary, may the military aristocracy guide you well. :)

yeh thats primarily the reason why I put the reactionary party in power to attempt and get my industry up and beat austria in the great power ranks.
Also I problem that seems really bad to the unification of germany is that the Netherlands invaded Hannover and took Osthannover. Well I would then invade the Netherlands but it seems they are allied with Russia, UK and Spain. Im not up for that war so I have to ask a question? You know how to form NGF you need every nation with cores in north germany in your soi, well if I manage to get the Netherlands in my soi, will I be able to form?:)
Otherwises Im gonna have to get one of those crown from the gutter events, damn liberals:mad:

yeh thats primarily the reason why I put the reactionary party in power to attempt and get my industry up and beat austria in the great power ranks.
Also I problem that seems really bad to the unification of germany is that the Netherlands invaded Hannover and took Osthannover. Well I would then invade the Netherlands but it seems they are allied with Russia, UK and Spain. Im not up for that war so I have to ask a question? You know how to form NGF you need every nation with cores in north germany in your soi, well if I manage to get the Netherlands in my soi, will I be able to form?:)
Otherwises Im gonna have to get one of those crown from the gutter events, damn liberals:mad:

I think so. For example I've heard that if you get Denmark in your SoI you don't need Schleswig.

Probably best to wait until either Russia or the UK ends its alliance with the Dutch and then attack.

I think so. For example I've heard that if you get Denmark in your SoI you don't need Schleswig.

Probably best to wait until either Russia or the UK ends its alliance with the Dutch and then attack.

hmm some pretty big troubles. It seems Austria is growing friggen high in power and I have fallen to 6th place. I may indeed be forced to take the Crown from the Gutter at some point.

hmm some pretty big troubles. It seems Austria is growing friggen high in power and I have fallen to 6th place. I may indeed be forced to take the Crown from the Gutter at some point.

Don't do it man!

This is Prussia! We are above liberalism!

Zaku: Hi HMAS-Nameless. .. For this excellent AAR I have nominated you for the WritAAR of the week reward.

good choice ! ! :)

excellent AAR ! !
:cool:

Update?

sorry, i havent been putting alot of work into the aar lately. rl and some work i have been slowly making for Danevang's "Victoria Romae" Roman Conversion Project (the Gaullic nations if you are wondering) has slowed progress. I had initially played all the way to 1850 and began writing updates for those years but the world went completely fubar haha and I was finding it impossible to avoid war with Austria and my slow fall in the ranks of nations. Anyways I will give the aar a revamp and replay from my 1841 save.

HMAS-Nameless: ... rl and some work .. Anyways I will give the aar a revamp and replay from my 1841 save.

works for me ! ! at least, as long as this wonderful AAR continues ! ! :)