• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I prefered the more detailed update. I'd suggest simply glossing over the majority of events whislt focussing on things that either provoke an interest in you (sometimes the little explorer events send my mind wandering) or important ones. In truth we don't need to know about your opression of the Poles or a random war in South America but hearing about your tensions with Austria and Denmark is very important.

Still top notch AAR :)

Always a fan of Prussian AARs!

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Rensslaer

I prefered the more detailed update. I'd suggest simply glossing over the majority of events whislt focussing on things that either provoke an interest in you (sometimes the little explorer events send my mind wandering) or important ones. In truth we don't need to know about your opression of the Poles or a random war in South America but hearing about your tensions with Austria and Denmark is very important.

Still top notch AAR :)

That's what I am currently doing theres a lot more minor wars going on, I mentioned the War in Mato Grosso because I suddenly saw country after country intervening (First Brazil invaded someone, then Peru got involved then either Urugay and Paraguay intervened, then the Brazilians managed to call France into the fray) it provoked my imagination exactly, I mentioned the events in Poland because I felt I needed a human emotion to not disregard that Poles do exist in the world. I mentioned the Anglo-Chinese War due to the fact it was a historical war in our history (although the game turned out alot different) and like the small adventurer events the event that I turned into the Georg Johannes Incident was pretty cool with a discription pretty similar to the way I described it in the update.:)

Was not Rot-Gold-Schwarz not also used by the Lützowsches Freikorps?

It was, but as this is an AAR with its own history Schwarz-Rot-Gold are now the colours of General von Raunch ;)

Btw, this a great story! Please give us more! :)

It was, but as this is an AAR with its own history Schwarz-Rot-Gold are now the colours of General von Raunch ;)

Btw, this a great story! Please give us more! :)
Lets just say that von Raunch was a veteran of the Lützowsches Freikorps and a Liberal although employed to keep the Liberals in the upper house happy and decided to use the Friekorps colours and then it became more of a liberal thing following that;)

just a warning the next update will be extra long as it details the entire of the Schlesweg-Holstein War of 1838-39 because it details the entire war and Freidrich Reinhardt's part in it.
I've been enjoying your AAR so far, looking forward to this update! :D

chapter3.jpg

A loud knock beat at the door. Friedrich pulled himself out of bed hoping that his 3 week old son hadn’t awoken due to the loud noises. He snuck into the small room opposite to his and Teresa’s and quickly looked into the small cot in the corner of the room and looked down on the small baby within. It had been a hard and premature birth for tiny Albert Reinhardt and he had finally grown enough for Friedrich and Teresa to take him home to their house in Berlin. After a quick stroke of the boy’s blonde hair he quickly looked up at the ticking grandfather clock out in the hallway. 3:30 am. Suddenly realizing the odd time Friedrich quiety rushed down the wooden staircase to open the door grabbing a jacket and vest along the way and slipping them over his sleep wear before the door could be knocked a second time. He pulled the door open to reveal a man, looking tired but oddly anxious at the same time.
“Lord von Boehm, such a pleasure, please step out from the snow” Friedrich greeted his colleague from the legislative assembly.
“Ah, General Reinhardt, I have been alerted by General von Raunch that the stand off along the border of Holstein has escalated into war” Karl von Boehm said as Friedrich put the man’s coat and hat on the hanger next to the doorway.
“War, has the King made certain of this?” Friedrich said looking up startled.
“On the contrary, King Friedrich Wilhelm himself called a meeting with me and the other faction leaders with Johann von Roon of the Konservatives, General von Raunch representing the Liberaldem. Partei and myself representing the Nationale Partei. We have 30,000 men of the VII. Korps under General von Raunch preparing to move into the Danish Duchy of Holstein” explained the infamous politician.
“So, forgive my rudeness but why have to come to me on this matter?” exclaimed Friedrich.
“Well… General Reinhardt, the King himself has ordered me to tell you that his absolute highness has commanded you back into military service” announced von Boehm.
“Surely there has to be a mistake, I made it clear to the rest of the Legislative Assembly that I am taking leave to be with my child” argued Friedrich.
“General… these are extraordinary circumstances. We are at war. Every man must make his sacrifice for the greater of all Prussia… and in all honesty we all have family, my daughter Anna turned six less than three days ago. Do you think I wish to miss this precious time with my daughter?” continued von Boehm.
“So when do come for me?” inquired Friedrich grudgingly accepting his duty.
“In the morning we depart for the frontline in Holstein. I recommend you get as much sleep as you can and break the news to your wife of course” ordered von Boehm as Friedrich lead him out to the snowy frosted street outside.

King Friedrich Wilhelm III sent an ultimatum Denmark demanding the dissolution of Danish dominance over Holstein and the ceding of Schleswig into the Kingdom of Prussia after violent clashes between the German minority and Danish Loyalists in Holstein. On January 6th negotiations collapsed as made King Friedrich Wilhelm III gave the order to move into the Danish Duchy of Holstein. Prussian demands for the small German Duchy to be handed over to Prussia and the Protestant League had been flatly rejected in a letter from Frederick VI, King of Denmark. Joachim von Raunch led 30,000 Prussian soldiers with an extra 12,000 in reserve into the small Danish holding of Holstein and initiated the infamous Schleswig-Holstein War. The Kingdom of Portugal disliked the aggression of the Prussian King and instead decided to cut off the Prusso-Portuguese Pact of 1836. Throughout January Joachim von Raunch marched through the Danish dominion of Holstein, the gateway to Denmark. The armies of Prussia met there first adversaries at the Battle of Kiel and swiftly defeated the 3,000 strong Holstinian Army stationed there. Over 2,500 Danish Loyalists were cut down by superior Prussian coordinated fire as nearly 50,000 soldiers of the Protestant League, (mostly from Prussia, Hesse, Lubeck, Mecklenburg and Nassau) surrounded the desperate loyalists. By August Prussian and North German forces began to organize the invasion of Schleswig and Jutland in mainland Denmark. The Kingdom of Denmark, now fully mobilized stood ready to defend their homeland against the 60,000 Germans that faced them from city of Kiel. Under infamous Prussian Generals, Joachim von Raunch, Johan von Roon, Albrecht von Oldenberg and Friedrich Reinhardt, Prussia forces smashed into mainland Denmark in August 1838 pushing away swaths of Danish reserve forces as the Armies of the Protestant League charged across Schleswig into Jutland. The eyes of the world watched as more and more land was demanded by the invading German forces. The remaining months saw German forces send the entire Danish military into disarray and routing in all directions across the peninsula.

Battle_of_Fredericia.jpg
The Last Stand of the Danish Loyalists in Holstein​

The last few months of 1838 saw the eyes of the world once again turn away from Prussia and the Schlesweg-Holstein War as the United Kingdom and the Netherlands both attempted to intervene in the Hanoverian separation from Great Britain and closer alignment to the power of the German Confederation. With Prussia distracted in Denmark the Dutch forces invaded the Hanoverian realm and declared victory annexing the territory of the Eastern Hanover. Prussia and Protestant League indefinitely condemned the creation of the Dutch Osthannover but did not immediately retaliate due to the alliances of the Dutch with the United Kingdom and Prussian friendly Russia. Meanwhile both the Anglo-Chinese and Mato Grosso Wars ended.

Rugen.jpg

Prussian ships blockade the islands around Copenhagen

Christmas of 1838 was one of sorrow and worry in mainland Denmark under occupation of German forces as well as the complete blockading over the islands around Copenhagen by the Prussian Fleet. The last remnants of the Danish Army fell back to the small Danish city of Esbjerg to make their final stand before surrendering to the Prussian Generals. 7,000 Danish soldiers, the last of the entire Danish army fell back to Esbjerg Fort for their final battle during the frozen winter months, surrounded on all sides by the 26,000 Prussian soldiers occupying the Jutland under the generals, Joachim von Raunch and Friedrich Reinhardt.

The Battle of Ebsjerg
Prussian Artillery began to attack the system of Danish trenches around Ebsjerg on the 12th of March 1839 with the main attack organized for June 25th under direct control of General Friedrich Reinhardt in combat and Joachim von Raunch in upper tactics.

800px-Dybbol_Skanse.jpg

The Danish Entrenchments on the hills above Ebsjerg​

The sun glistened down on Friedrich’s forehead. “18 months, Albert will be 18 months today” Friedrich thought to himself as he inspected the lines of weary Prussian troops. These men had not seen their families nearly 18 months either had been forced to brave the winter months of occupation with lacking supplies and everything and now were preparing for what von Raunch had called, “the final strike before we head home”. Thousands of Prussian cavalry assembled in a long line before the Danes entrenched on the golden hill before them. Friedrich rode down the lines of Prussian Dragoons in his Prussian Officers Uniform that he had worn since the 1820s.
“My soldiers, it seems that these Danes do not wish us safe passage home! Look before you soldiers, I congratulate you, these are the last soldiers of the Danish Army, hiding on their hilltop they have prepared during the winter. This is the final blow! It is up to you all brave soldiers of his highness, Koenig Friedrich Wilhelm! His aging majesty orders you to show the absolute power of Prussian supremacy upon the world! This must mean something! In mere seconds the artillery fire will stop and it is our duty to take this hill no matter the cost! Ready bayonets! I have chosen to take part in the charge alongside you, my cavalrymen of the X. Kavalleriebrigade! Cross this field! Take to the hill! Take no Prisoners! Charge!”
With that the sounds of artillery guns ended and thousands of Prussian dragoons charged across the sandy field of artillery craters. Within seconds of the charge the entire hill before them lit up with musket fire from the Danish trenches. Prussian horsemen began to take shots and plummet to the ground alongside their horses.
“Don’t fire! It won’t do any good!” screamed Friedrich over the sounds of the cluttering hooves. As the Danish lines came closer and closer and the terrain became steeper and steeper as did Friedrich’s anxiousness.
As the first Danish trench came near Friedrich loaded his musket and ordered the dragoons to fire into the trench before them. Hundreds of horses suddenly became impaled on Danish trench spikes sending many Prussian soldiers flying into the trenches, knocking down everyone in their path. Friedrich demounted his horse and leaped into the trench, bayonet in hands cutting down Danish troops as thousands of other Prussian dragoon regiments made contact with Danish lines elsewhere.
As the day wore on Prussian soldiers slowly advanced further up the hillside up until the twilight hours set in when the assault on the final lines of trenches commenced. These trenches had been completely destroyed by artillery fire and had degenerated into a muddy fistfight between Prussian and the final surviving Danish soldiers whose general had long perished in the fighting of the day.
Friedrich was exhausted, covered in blood and cold. Dead Danish and Prussian soldiers alike lay covered in mud at Friedrich’s feet. “I am way to old for this” Friedrich thought as he sent his bayonet fiercely into a Dane’s chest. It truly was the final push now. Less then 30 of original enemy soldiers on the hill remained fighting, surrounded on all sides in a violent circle. Hopeless the Danes knew it was now I fight to the death. Against his orders, artillery had began firing on the hill again killing Prussians and Danes alike. “It is time to end this…” Friedrich thought. Suddenly he felt a sharp piercing pain through the sides of his legs like a whiplash. He began falling towards the muddy ground below him. Another sharp pain. Friedrich now face up on the ground began coughing blood and screaming in agony as he looked up to see his legs cut up from artillery fragments and a massive bayonet protruding from his chest. Impaled on a dead soldiers bayonet Friedrich yelled for help to no avail. The corners of his eyesight began to fade only catching glimpses of the action around him. He felt his body somewhat floating in the mud as his vision faded. He only heard voices now. “Vi Surrender!”, “Herr Reinhardt! Herr Reinhardt! Albreht! Herr Reinhardt is dead!”
Then there was light.

Battle_of_Bov.jpg

In the months following Ebsjerg the Danish government, now without any military, decided to negotiate with the Kingdom of Prussia. Present at the Negotiations of Rugen were various leaders of the Prussian legislative assembly. Finally the Treaty of Arhus was signed on August 19th 1839 between the severely aging King Friedrich Wilhelm III and King Frederick VI of Denmark signaling the end of the Schlesweg-Holstein War of 1838-39. The treaty demanded that Holstein be released from Denmark, the state of Schleswig be ceded to the Kingdom of Prussia as a buffer against further Danish aggression and the Dutch West Indies, primarily the island of St. Thomas were given to the Duke of Nassau for his actions against Danish aggression. The war left the entire peninsula devastated and Denmark without an army for years, however from then on it was known amongst the great powers that the Kingdom of Prussia was indeed a force to be reckoned with.

Last edited:
As soon as youn mentioned the General's young child you knew he was destined to die.

Nice writing, I really enjoyed this mix of narrative scenes and history book style. My two pieces of advice would be to put spaces in between the paragraphs of your narrative sections and to split up your history book text into more paragraphs. Just to make things easier to read. :)

Your war goals on Denmark were exactly the same as the ones I made when I played my Prussia game. St Thomas and its tobacco can be very valuable as tobacco is hihgly demanded by your people. However, it being the only Prussian colony, I had that problem where there is mass Prussian emigration to the island. The RGO quickly fills up and the immigrants continue to steam in - usually becoming soldiers. Watch out for this issue.

As soon as youn mentioned the General's young child you knew he was destined to die.

Nice writing, I really enjoyed this mix of narrative scenes and history book style. My two pieces of advice would be to put spaces in between the paragraphs of your narrative sections and to split up your history book text into more paragraphs. Just to make things easier to read. :)

Your war goals on Denmark were exactly the same as the ones I made when I played my Prussia game. St Thomas and its tobacco can be very valuable as tobacco is hihgly demanded by your people. However, it being the only Prussian colony, I had that problem where there is mass Prussian emigration to the island. The RGO quickly fills up and the immigrants continue to steam in - usually becoming soldiers. Watch out for this issue.

For the moment AI Nassau owns St. Thomas as they claimed it in a war goal. Mecklenberg also calimed Greenland and Iceland, but I thought that was a bit harsh. Hopefully since Nassau is a tiny country immigration will be regulated until I form the NGF.

How sweet would it be if you told the story in a fat Aussie accent?
I had an Australian workmate for years, that was the most gutwrenching accent ever. :D

How sweet would it be if you told the story in a fat Aussie accent?
I had an Australian workmate for years, that was the most gutwrenching accent ever. :D

yeah while im riding my kangaroo to school... anyway theres alot worst accents than Australian ones. Us here on the east coast dont have it as strong as inland but still some American accents are alot worse.:p

yeah while im riding my kangaroo to school... anyway theres alot worst accents than Australian ones. Us here on the east coast dont have it as strong as inland but still some American accents are alot worse.:p

Do you know Michael Schiavello, the Australian K-1 commentator? I don't know if there is a worse accent anywhere in the world. Ever heard him say: "He took more shots to the face than Belladonna!" Now that I think about it. Schiavello without his accent wouldn't be half as funny.

Anyways, beautiful AAR with wicked graphics!

Fine update, Nameless!

And a very good battle scene. Sucks to be killed by a dead man's bayonet! Or your own artillery, depending how you count it.

I warn you from experience... Mixing historybook and narrative fiction in a Prussia AAR can turn it into a monster task that occupies your every thought, every hour of every day! :D But it's great fun.

Looking forward to more.

Rensslaer