• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've tried as France a few times and the best I was able to do is stall the Germans a bit. I always got crushed eventually. It is kind of instructive as to the historical problems the French faced, though.

So I started the game in '33 and by the end of the year I'm pretty sure my path ain't looking pretty with my whole 26 IC after working dissent down.

Halp.
There's always the Turtle Defense. Just extend the Maginot Line to the Channel and hold out. I find it boring though, but I've heard other players were able to eventually advance into Germany.

with my whole 26 IC after working dissent down

That's due to the huge subtraction of "peace IC" (or however it is called) from your total IC, isn't it?

I am not very familiar with playing France or rather democracies in DH. Can somebody enlighten me wether the peace IC subtraction is caused by France being a democracy or is it another policy setting which is responsible for this? The only way to get rid of it is war or the very slow way of moving the policy sliders?

About fighting Germany:
You can try it the tricky way: Lure them in... open a narrow path for the Wehrmacht, watch them stroming in, ensure a strong guard along the path. Once an approbiate number of units is "in", close the bottle, cut them off from supply and then either wait to see them slowly diminished or just attack them with overwhelming force. Enemy units beaten in a a battle and without a friendly region to withdraw to are taken prisoner (wiped out).
If you take your time preparing the trap, you can even build some forts around the trap. But usually I prefer to invest precious IC in factories or mobile units instead of stationary things.

Last edited:
Can somebody enlighten me wether the peace IC subtraction is caused by France being a democracy or is it another policy setting which is responsible for this?
Yes. And I believe it's also due to events. All of which are meant to ensure that the human player doesn't create a powerful France to oppose Germany.

Yes. And I believe it's also due to events. All of which are meant to ensure that the human player doesn't create a powerful France to oppose Germany.

Oh... poor French. While in reality the French army was vastly superior equipped to the Wehrmacht.
At least on paper and in numbers. On the field they were rather plagued instead of led by their generality, lacked some modern doctrines to cope with mobile warfare and, whyever, did not properly use 2-way-radios in their fine tanks. Not to forget that besides fierce fighting the Wehrmacht was also unbelievable lucky to bring that 6-week-campaign on (instead of storming straight into their doom).

Here are some simple tips:

- Switch out of defensive focus, its the worst doctrine by far. Personally i'd just go with Mobility for the sweet GDE (and tank bonuses).
- Immediately, as soon as humanly possible, start building land forts along your entire frontline. Focus on the belgium border and work your way down. You must build at least lvl 9 forts in all the frontline.
- Get all your infantry from all over the world back to the mainland, including your navy which although old by WW2 standards will heavily aid you vs any german raiders.
- Give your infantry artillery and either AA or AT (i prefer AT), to give it extra oomph against the german armor.
- By '39, with your dissent set to zero and your army grown, man the Marginot line as well as your entire border. If you've been building tanks, keep at least 3 or 6 div corps on your front. You need at least 9, preferably 12, per territory.
- You can launch a pretty efficient crippling raid unto Germany from Marginot if you want to try it risky, but i'd recommend against it.
- Once the germans DOW the netherlands/belgium, dont move forward and let them get absorbed. The UK might send you some units so use them if you can (or do what i do and let the AI sit there and run around as firefighters).
- The german attack will stall heavily; the AI will not, even with aggressive, attack super forts of lvl 10 unless it has like a 3-to-1 advantage, and even then it will suffer tremendously high losses. If you've been building interceptors or have some spare ones use them to destroy enemy airplanes on French soil.
- At this point, you can do a lightning raid of the italians, when they DOW you. With your armored units you can easily overrun 10-30 italian divisions and cripple their northern industry, as well as adding it to your own. If you push hard and fast enough you can even make them switch sides, which is always amusing.
- From now on, you can have a bit of an attritional war with the Germans, counterattacking positions that give you location advantages (3 sides to 1) and inflict terrible losses on the german divisions like that. At around '42 or '43, the soviets will eventually DOW the germans and then you can slowly grind them backwards (though again, i usually let them bleed the russians a bit and wait till their MP runs out; the soviets lose all their AI bonuses if they are the aggressors on the germans, so no more 0.1 IC infantry for them :))))

Ill try it tomorrow.