• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gary23

Recruit
Sep 23, 2017
Hello. I'm struggling to make a good character that isn't a tank but more of an rogue/assassin. I was thinking of using dual wielding weapons but I read they are seriously underpowered comparing to 2H weapons. Can anyone suggest anything? How much should I put in might/finesse/quickness , what skills to focus on etc.

I would rather recommend a single weapon with the duelist talents, since the only benefits that dual-wield offers are really unimpressive (at best, you get to wield 2 weapons for 2 sets of enhancements and/or 2 different artifact abilities). One-handed primarily scales off Might (which increases your attack and ability damage) while dual-wield scales off Quickness (only lowers spell and ability cooldowns, making it mostly useful for a mage or a high-level character with multiple high-damage abilities unlocked). Focus on the agility tree and either defense (for the one-handed and blade wall talents, which are mostly offensive, really...) or magic (which is good for any type of character, really. Extra lore and spell slots are useful even if it's just for buffs, then later the imbue talents for increased damage).

Might doesn't matter all that much in 1H or dual-wield builds because the damage is lower anyways, and thus X% increase is less effective.

Dual-wield build is a crit build, where you quickly spam a few key skills like Hundred Fists and Whirlwind Strike. Weapons of choice should be either stuff that gives you bonus attributes or good crit effects, and remember to apply poisons and such before battle.

Focus on Quickness and Finesse, but don't short Vitality. Outside of the Agility tree you want to have a stance, either Blitz or Mighty will do, the rest are up to you really.

Might doesn't matter all that much in 1H or dual-wield builds because the damage is lower anyways, and thus X% increase is less effective.

Dual-wield build is a crit build, where you quickly spam a few key skills like Hundred Fists and Whirlwind Strike.

Focus on Quickness and Finesse, but don't short Vitality. Outside of the Agility tree you want to have a stance, either Blitz or Mighty will do, the rest are up to you really.
Thing is, 1-handed gets a +30 accuracy bonus for those crits, while a dual-wield build has nothing inherently crit-increasing about it (it has finesse as a secondary attribute, same as 1-handed).

As for Might being less effective on low damage weapons, that's not really true as the % bonus is the same for any weapon type. And honestly, even if Quickness was more efficient for low-damage weapons, dual-wield is so outclassed that you could ignore Might as a 1-handed build and still beat it in pretty much every category through the duelist line.

Thing is, 1-handed gets a +30 accuracy bonus for those crits
To be fair though, Duelist build gets that +30 Acc (and Riposte chance) at the cost of 3 Talent points.

As for Might being less effective on low damage weapons, that's not really true as the % bonus is the same for any weapon type.
Yeah, it's the same %, but the actual amount of damage increased by investing 11 (10-->20) attribute points into Might makes it not worth it, considering that it does not increase your dual-wield skill.

And honestly, even if Quickness was more efficient for low-damage weapons, dual-wield is so outclassed that you could ignore Might as a 1-handed build and still beat it in pretty much every category through the duelist line.
OP asked for advice on a rogue/assassin build, which I gave, not what he should do instead of it, which you gave.

Not to mention that this game isn't so freakishly hard that you simply couldn't beat using any (sensible) build, so it doesn't matter what build is outclassed by another, at least not until they add a PVP option to the game.

How is dual-wield any more a "rogue/assassin" build than 1-handed? Like I said, you can completely ignore Might if it doesn't fit what the OP is looking for and still be more efficient as a 1-hander. And if the build doesn't matter, what is the point of debating?

The game doesn't even offer any particularly "rogue-like" talents (aside from sneak attack, which seems pretty redundant since you can't go back to stealth in combat), but a 1-hander focusing on agility/defense tree (for abilities like Knockdown or Blade Wall, which increases damage vs. prone and stunned targets and increases your attacks of opportunity, pretty roguey if you ask me) seems just as sneaky as a dual-wielder focusing on agility/offensive/whatever.

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate both of your input. I've never said I want to be a dual wielder , I just said I was thinking about it but I heard it's massively underpowered. And I realise that you can finish the game with probably any build anyway but I want to build a strong character and honestly I have no idea how. I searched the internet for some builds and I haven't found any other than 2H which isn't really my style. When i play games like that I tend to use builds made by other people so that I don't have to worry about distributing the abilities,skills,etc . It may be considered lazy but I don't have that much time to spend on figuring out what's viable and what's not . I want to enjoy the game but still play a powerful character. So could you guys suggest a start for 1 handed build ( I assume we're talking about sword and shield here). How should I distribute the abilities in the beginning, what skills , background etc? Thank you in advance

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate both of your input. I've never said I want to be a dual wielder , I just said I was thinking about it but I heard it's massively underpowered. And I realise that you can finish the game with probably any build anyway but I want to build a strong character and honestly I have no idea how. I searched the internet for some builds and I haven't found any other than 2H which isn't really my style. When i play games like that I tend to use builds made by other people so that I don't have to worry about distributing the abilities,skills,etc . It may be considered lazy but I don't have that much time to spend on figuring out what's viable and what's not . I want to enjoy the game but still play a powerful character. So could you guys suggest a start for 1 handed build ( I assume we're talking about sword and shield here). How should I distribute the abilities in the beginning, what skills , background etc? Thank you in advance
What I mean by 1-handed is that there is a group of talents that increase your accuracy and give you a chance for riposte when the enemy misses you if you don't wield anything on your off-hand, though before you can pick those talents it can certainly be a good idea to equip a shield for increased durability.

The most important thing about character creation is honestly that you don't pick any of the magic styles (even for a mage, really) as they don't give you any talent points. Aside from Lore (as I mentioned earlier, because of how buff spells work it's a useful stat for any character, and you can get a pretty good item in the first map if you have at least 35 lore), the starting skill distribution only really matters for the first few fights (kind of difficult to explain this without going too deeply into how the skill system works) so you might actually just want to choose your starting combat styles based on the talents you can get. I would pick Sunder (from sword/shield) and either Slice (dual-wield) or Flurry of Blows (dual-wield or unarmed). For background you can choose what you want (you'll simply sometimes get an extra dialogue option based on it, so it's mostly a role-play thing) or refer to https://tyranny.gamepedia.com/Character_creation to see the starting skills.
Also, if you start with 35 Lore, 30 Athletics and ~25 Subterfuge (not really sure about this, but it's a pretty easy skill to improve if you just use stealth around enemies a lot) you should be able to meet any skill requirements in the game.

For attributes I would probably go with 14 Might, 12 Vitality and 12 Finesse or Wits depending on how much magic you want to use (I find that in the early game magic is the best way to keep your group from getting killed, but I've only played PotD so I don't know how necessary it is on lower difficulties).

Also note that after the first act you can always re-spec all your characters at will (the initial cost to recruit the character who does it is pretty steep, but it's a 1-time investment and very much worth it), so in the long run the only really meaningful things in character creation are your background (RP-wise) and choosing 2 combat talents instead of magic styles.