• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lykus Cerebros

General
64 Badges
Aug 27, 2020
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
I was finally going to attempt a World conquest + one faith run and am seeking your advice. I decided to try out Castille / Spain as I could grab some other achievements along the way. I did the standard stuff (ally+RM Burgundy to hope for BI), set NF to admin to help with disaster, prepare for Reconquista etc. Since I wanted to cripple the Ottoamns I started no-CB war against Byzantium. Not ideal with low admin power, but I figured it would be worth it.

Thats were it started to go wrong. I didn't realise I would only be able to vassalize them due to coring range. I got a message that venice will declare on Byz as well. I figured great I can grab some territory from them was well. Then the Ottos also joined in in another war. I managed to snatch Constantinople before everyone else, but nothing else. Now the bad thing is that that caused them to surrender to me.

Now to my question:

Should I go for vassalization and try to beat both venice and Ottos or should I wait out the Call for peace and wait for them to peace out to vassalize the remainder and reconquest the rest. What woudl you recommend?
I am out of manpower due to the disaster. My allies are Papal State, Burgundy and England. England already had the Maine event (they gave it up) so should not be distracted

EDIT: I am not sure if I should rather take Land from Venice or the Ottomans.

1707474166132.png

1707474188643.png

1707474246595.png

1707474366976.png

Last edited:
Vassalize but don't try to defend Byzantium. Try to win the naval war while focusing on protecting the Pyrenees with your armies until you're able to peace out the Ottomans without giving up Constantinople. Then and only then take to the offensive against Venice.

Reactions:
Vassalize but don't try to defend Byzantium. Try to win the naval war while focusing on protecting the Pyrenees with your armies until you're able to peace out the Ottomans without giving up Constantinople. Then and only then take to the offensive against Venice.
Good idea. I was thinking it would be better to try and Peace out Venice ASAP and try to retake cores from the Ottos.

Good idea. I was thinking it would be better to try and Peace out Venice ASAP and try to retake cores from the Ottos.
Getting the weaker enemy out first is a legit strategy when trying to beat both. My thinking is that it doesn't really hurt you to give up 1-3 unfortified Byzantine provinces to the Ottos at this point.

After all, you can declare a reconquest war for that at any time - like when they are busy fighting a war against Hungary, Mamluks or Poland that you really don't want them to win. In my last campaign, I bailed Hungary out as the Papal State - the loss of the Bosporus to me and Bulgaria/Macedonia to Hungary+Serbia proved unrecoverable. Even Albania managed to reclaim their cores in a separate war after that...

Reactions: