• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ex Mudder

Field Marshal
120 Badges
Oct 21, 2001
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • East India Company
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
I just conquered Zimbabwe as GBR. What do I do with all the gold provinces? The most recent posts on this subject were 2 years ago.

Is it still Dev to 10 if I have the Dip?. Should it be in a trade company or should I core it and state it and reduce autonomy to zero?

Still the same, dev to 10, higher if you have the gold minting privilege that some nations get (not sure if GB gets this one). Always make gold provinces into full states and reduce autonomy to get the most out of it

Still the same, dev to 10, higher if you have the gold minting privilege that some nations get (not sure if GB gets this one). Always make gold provinces into full states and reduce autonomy to get the most out of it

So no trade Company in these states, as you have to claim the entire state to eliminate autonomy.

Honestly you should only dev up gold mines early in the game and only if your economy really needs it. Otherwise there are generally better value uses for your diplo points.

Reactions:
Gold income can be valuable into the late game if you have a LOT of it, e.g., as Inca or Mexico, but as GB you probably don't need it. Full state+0 autonomy+10 production dev is the way to go if you do want to use them though.

I just conquered Zimbabwe as GBR. What do I do with all the gold provinces? The most recent posts on this subject were 2 years ago.

Is it still Dev to 10 if I have the Dip?. Should it be in a trade company or should I core it and state it and reduce autonomy to zero?
State, 0% autonomy, convert to own culture and religion with religious culture privilege, 10 dip

State, 0% autonomy, convert to own culture and religion with religious culture privilege, 10 dip

The problem with stating gold producing provinces is that none of the provinces in that state can be in a trade company. So you get reduced trade power (which can be significant if any of the provinces contain an estuary and/or centre of trade and/or if that state contains many provinces which could otherwise benefit from trade company buildings, especially if that's going to help you to get 50% province trade power in that TC region to get an extra merchant), also it means your institutions can "leak" to neighbouring less developed countries (making future conquest more difficult), though this is reduced if they have bad relations with you.

Also, what do you do with the remaining provinces in that state? If you leave them as territories, you're mostly not going to get much income from them, but if you full state them, then that will cost you more MP and governing capacity, though they will be easier to convert to your religion (and therefore culture, once separatism has gone, though that will cost a few more MP too and takes a lot of time).

So I think it's a bit situational whether you state a gold-producing province or not and whether to develop them or not also depends a bit on what dev cost reduction modifiers you have.

One African area I do often full state are the provinces in South Africa, at least a bit later in the game, once you have plenty of merchants anyway, as some of the provinces don't need to be converted to your religion if you've colonised them yourself (especially if you kill the natives first and most provinces there don't have that many) also there are not many neighbouring countries to leak your institutions to - usually just Kilwa, which will probably have bad relations with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: