• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We spend most of 1576 smoking on the pipe (and I don’t mean the Pipes of Peace, a great Paul McCartney album.)
I dare say the situation would be helped innumerable if you could rustle up some of the old peace pipe and ship it off the the Europeans. Very concerning having them now coming from both sides.

That said, no immediate reason to suspect catastrophe – but then my limited experience with EUIV suggests it isn’t always the best at giving reason for suspicion. Lots more treading carefully to come, I’m sure…

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hmm, Castile actually showing up in Florida isn't good. We need to get rid of one of our neighbours at least. Portugal seems weakest, given their slow reaction times, but also seems to have a lot of colonies nearby to support their holdings. Does Castile? How are we to know?

Maybe we need a GP ally to help, or at least a European stooge...

Reactions:
The Europeans are coming...

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer? Ally Portugal? Or at least a European country or two?

Reactions:
To all - The next update follows and gives you a bit more info on how this whole colonization game goes from our perspective. Thanks to everyone reading and giving comments. Any pointers are appreciated because the game has quite literally changed. I imagined that it would, and thought there might be some tough bits, but this is more than that. Read on...
Why haven't you reformed your government yet?
I was wondering about this too. I'm not exactly sure how it works without dlc but there should be a way to reform now that you border Europeans. It should give you institutions, which make tech cheaper, and catch you up a bit.

Another thing worth mentioning: attacking a colonial nation (like Louisiana) shouldn't automatically bring in the mother country (should confirm on the declare war screen in case this is somehow changed by dlc). So it might be wise to strike first.

Reactions:
I'm not quite sure how to learn from them without the DLC these days. Maybe even with it, I haven't done a serious game of EU4 in a while.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another thing worth mentioning: attacking a colonial nation (like Louisiana) shouldn't automatically bring in the mother country (should confirm on the declare war screen in case this is somehow changed by dlc). So it might be wise to strike first.
Unless the overlord demands peace, which is annoying and makes me wonder why it is a mechanic

Reactions:
With a war between Portugal and another European country (it could be with Spain if their colonial nation fight with each other), maybe there would be a little space to do something.
The situation is not good, clearly. It will need luck and opportunism.

Reactions:
Fb-fb:

I dare say the situation would be helped innumerable if you could rustle up some of the old peace pipe and ship it off the the Europeans. Very concerning having them now coming from both sides.

That said, no immediate reason to suspect catastrophe – but then my limited experience with EUIV suggests it isn’t always the best at giving reason for suspicion. Lots more treading carefully to come, I’m sure…
I've no shame in admitting that I don't know what the hell I'm doing. This is no WCFD AAR. ;)

Hmm, Castile actually showing up in Florida isn't good. We need to get rid of one of our neighbours at least. Portugal seems weakest, given their slow reaction times, but also seems to have a lot of colonies nearby to support their holdings. Does Castile? How are we to know?

Maybe we need a GP ally to help, or at least a European stooge...
That's the thing...we don't know. Why do I feel like Rumsfield here..."the unknown unknowns."

The Europeans are coming...

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer? Ally Portugal? Or at least a European country or two?
That is my thinking, but not easy to come by.

Why haven't you reformed your government yet?
A good question. How? I've looked and I do not have that choice.

I was wondering about this too. I'm not exactly sure how it works without dlc but there should be a way to reform now that you border Europeans. It should give you institutions, which make tech cheaper, and catch you up a bit.

Following the above, I am actually getting some benefit. Not enough to change much, but your further point is a good thing to know (or consider.)

Note again - I'm not using any dlcs.

I'm not quite sure how to learn from them without the DLC these days. Maybe even with it, I haven't done a serious game of EU4 in a while.
As above, I am getting some form of learning but it is slow.

Unless the overlord demands peace, which is annoying and makes me wonder why it is a mechanic
Agreed.

With a war between Portugal and another European country (it could be with Spain if their colonial nation fight with each other), maybe there would be a little space to do something.
The situation is not good, clearly. It will need luck and opportunism.
That is my play style, especially in this game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've no shame in admitting that I don't know what the hell I'm doing. This is no WCFD AAR. ;)
This is very much my playstyle also :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Fb-fb:

Since I saw that your government reform bar was green, I figured you could add government reforms, but I thought it was supposed to be greyed out.
When it is full, I don't have another choice to make. Yet.

Europeans, Europeans everywhere!
Yes they are.

This is very much my playstyle also :D
Always has been. Sometimes it works and sometimes...not so much. :p

To all - The next update follows and I apologize for the length and amount of screens. I try not to, but I had to show it all. You'll see...

Reactions:
It’s Always Freezing in Friesland

While I’d like to make many It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia references in this update (as it is one of my favorite shows) it wouldn’t really make much sense. I just liked the title. And Friesland will become a major player here soon. But first we must get there. And last we met, it was 1581 and I was starting to think I need to get more aggressive with PLAV and others as Europe really arrived on the scene in force. I begin by recruiting two cannon regiments (made from beaver pelts and mud as you may recall.)

Good thing too, because Castile is really moving again in Florida starting colonies on both coasts. I respond by boosting my stability to +2 and then I fabricate a claim on Biloxi owned by PLAV. I follow that up in 1582 by fabricating claims on both Bayougoula and Natchez. Take that PLAV! How’s that for being proactive? We get a lovely trade expansion event in April of that year which helps because we are planning on recruiting another infantry and cavalry unit.

x61MFaD.png

And then in July, we get better production efficiency. We like these results and start recruiting even more into 1583. It is pushing the heap great wampum threshold, but for now we remain able to afford the new recruits at full maintenance. It’s around this time that Mobile adopts Creek culture and gets closer to becoming self sustaining. Good thing too because Friesland decides to jump into the game and fabricates a claim on Chatot.

Really, Friesland? You don’t even border Chatot. Methinks they are getting greedy which will become a theme. And it’s around this time that I turn my focus from PLAV to Friesland. Unlike the former, Friesland has not created a full on colony and still controls the Carolina lands directly. Also, I assume they are smaller back home than my Iberian neighbors. I think I’ll find out maybe when I begin building a spy network throughout the Carolinas.

I start the next year of 1584 by hiring a new military leader and he has better stats than my existing one. Excellent. Switch them out and can the old dude. Who needs him? However, I realize I am starting to lose a little in pelts each month. Thankfully this is rectified when Mobile reaches self sustaining status in July. I’m getting bold here. I decide to block Castile moving up the East Coast and start a new colony in Mocama.

tABtWS3.png

This has the added bonus of getting me closer to Friesland in Carolina. However, I fear my confidence was premature. In 1585, I note that Yamasee starts producing cotton thus getting closer to a full province but then Castile decides to colonize Pensacola right between Mobile and Chatot and then Florida (the Castilian full colony) claims us as a rival.

JglFDvC.png

Alright...two can play at that game. I respond by starting a spy network in Florida. How about that, Jack?

I spend much of the next three years...just doing the same old thing. I’m building up Alabama and others with admin and diplomacy points so production and taxation grows and in 1588, I recruit another cavalry unit. By 1589, Yamasee has finally grown to a self sustaining province...

oiaEnui.png

...and that’s when I notice that Great Britain has finally arrived to the scene in this neck of the woods. Just as I begin a new colony in Coweta I see them just north of Friesland in Chicora. Hmmm. I note that they are not allied with Friesland so that’s good. But then Friesland expands their area into Catawba in 1590. It does give us a border. And so I’m starting to think maybe I should get a bit more aggressive. By September of 1590, we have fabricated a claim on Cusabo (their most southern province.)

I’m starting to plan now. In 1591, I hire a new diplomacy advisor and then reach military tech level 8 (I’m sure nowhere near where they are.) And then I see they have a military leader in the Carolinas. He’s an explorer, but still. What are these Frieslanders playing at? I don’t know, but I don’t like it. It’s messing with my plans.

In February of 1592, I get a colonization event which would establish a penal colony in Coweta boosting the population growth but it comes with a negative by increasing unrest until 1617. Shoot, I’ll be done building it up before then so I say no. Then in May, they start producing tobacco which is a good thing apparently since Portugal just informed us that Tobacco is trading rather well these days. Hell, we knew that all along. What did you think was in our pipes?

And then in 1593, Friesland moves again and starts a new colony just south of Powhatan in Chesapeake. Methinks they want to take over that trade node.

U2fuGuI.png

For our part, we get a very nice Urbanization event increasing things in some few places. Our eyes are still to the east, but we must also look west to our good friends, the Chickasaw. In 1593 and 1594, they are hit with a peasant revolt. By the skin of their teeth, they are able to defeat it and we send them some pelts as congrats. We take on some inflation from a Government Improvement event that gains us some admin points and then we notice that Great Britain strikes again starting a colony in Nanticoke north of Powhatan in 1595.

It’s in this year that Mocama adopts Creek culture and is getting closer to being self sustaining. We do not want to start a war with anyone while the colonies are still growing. At this time, Mocama is at 645 and Coweta at 782. Just a little while longer…

We reduce the inflation to zero at the end of the year and then get an Exceptional Year event in 1596...

sRMARfR.png

We note that Friesland has now expanded again into Roanoke and we spend the rest of the year trying to build up manpower. This aggression must not stand!

In 1597, we have enough pelts to afford a third advisor and go for the best (and the cheapest) that helps with land maintenance…

LI7yKIt.png

And then we start building a barque in Chatot that may assist in Trade. I don’t know. I don’t know what they hell I’m doing with trade. But it doesn’t matter because all of my careful planning to get ready for a war with a European power is thwarted when Friesland does this...

I3bTlXO.png

A religious crusade, Friesland? Really? You don’t have the balls to call it what it is? You’re going after the Powhatan because they control the trade node and you know it!

That said, I had to think long and hard before answering. Am I ready for war yet? My colonies in Coweta and Mocama are close but not there yet. My forces are large, but I need to leave a covering force in both in case of an uprising of natives. And...it’s a European power that surely has far better military tech and knowledge than we do. But we cannot let our long time allies down (nor do we wish to take the hit that might cause) and so we reluctantly press “accept.”

I should note that Friesland is allied with both Bohemia and Brandenburg but they are not involved in this. However, another of their colonies, Friesian West Indies is. On our side, it’s Powhatan, the Creek and Huron in the north.

AZoAJFV.png

By September, I have been able to cull enough from my two armies to build a force with a leader heading north to Catawba and Powhatan strikes first blood when they occupy Chesapeake to their south. I’ve also accepted a call from Portugal and Caraibas asking for military access. One hopes that keeps them off our back for a time. By November, we have occupied Catawba and the Powhatan have taken Roanoke. Huron too showed up, in force I might add. 9K hardened warriors from the north. By December, we have moved to occupy Cusabo while our allies work at the rest…

sLWgxtd.png

Unfortunately, Friesland West Indies shows up in Powhatan with 6K of their own. But we march merrily along. All of their colonies are occupied by February of 1598 but we do note the Friesian explorer heading south with about 5K and he’s in Cherokee on his way to Coosa. He arrives in March and it looks like this is where the standoff will finally happen…

mFMDV2v.png

Powhatan and Huron are both heading south. They both have leaders. And I’m to the south, also with a leader. My hope is that our combined forces (and if we time it right) will be the deciding factor. We have the numbers, but do we have the strength to overcome their technological edge? I’m sending everything I have from Coweta, including the covering force and we arrive just as Huron and Powhatan begin the clash…

Uot5sk4.png

I must tell you that while it happens, I am biting my nonexistent nails and ready to fail. It looks like it at first. But then...but then...our numbers prove true and by April, we actually win the damn thing! We lost a good bit, but they lost their entire force and we gained 4.62 on our war score! Holy cow! Never have I been more excited while playing one of these games when we came out on top. Poor Max was rather zonked out after a slight road trip we just took but even he jumped up when I yelled. It was that awesome!

More to that, just after this great victory, Coweta decides to adopt Creek culture and they already have 953 settlers. These next 100 put us over the top (you need 1,000) and I no longer need a covering force there. Unfortunately, the war is far from done and sadly Huron seems to think it’s over and heads north again. Come on guys...we won when we pooled it all together. We need every brave we can muster Friesland West Indies has bulked up their force at siege in Powhatan to over 8K by July and it falls to them soon after. War score back to 6%.

I’ve sent my force down to Mocama and hope I have enough time for them to become a full province before I have to face off again. However, I also recruit another infantry and cavalry force, as well as a 2nd leader. I’m thinking I’ll need two armies and try to pocket them as best I can. Mocama finally adopts Creek culture in August and becomes self sustaining in September. But by this point, the Friesian West Indies has taken back Chesapeake and Roanoke. War score down to 4%.

Thankfully, Huron realizes now that the war is far from over and heads back. I’ve pulled my Grand Army to Coweta and start moving north. As I make it through the native lands between Cheraw and Roanoke, Powhatan and Huron move back into Powhatan proper. There are 3K of the West Indies force in Roanoke and I pounce with full force in January of 1599.

hVc98vO.png

Guess what?

We won again. Took out their entire force and we only lost 971. And war score back to 8%.

It’s at this point I realize how we might win this thing. We cannot get to their home lands and holding all of their colonies only nets us a pittance in war score. But this last battle gained another 4.22 on the total. If we can just keep beating their forces as we meet them...maybe?

By May, Roanoke and Chesapeake are occupied again and I send my full force to help in Powhatan. We take it back soon after. War score at 17%.

We note that Friesland proper is finally sending reinforcements and attempting a landing in the Carolinas. The Grand Army of Creek swings back into native Creek lands and heads down to Yamasee to meet them. We laugh as Friesland has to fight off the ferocious natives in Guale yet once they win, they return to Santee and we move to meet them. In September we face off against 2K of Cavalry and Cannon (for some reason and depleted by their native raid) and win again...

n1AYuxe.png

Yet another 6K of West Indies has landed in Guale and is headed to meet us. Further to that...Friesland has the unmitigated gall to decide now is the time to start a new colony in Saluda between Catawba and Coweta?! The greedy sons of bitches!!

I track north as quickly as I can to avoid the larger army and make it just in time. I need time to replenish my forces and get my allies into place. By December of 1599, I’ve returned my force to Tuskegee as I wait recruitment of 2 more regiments. Friesland has landed another force in Cusabo and taken it back and that West Indies force is stomping around in southern Creek lands. And my admin advisor has just died. I hire a new one that helps the national tax modifier and watch as the Friesland force attacks my allies in Saluda...

cpjpGKO.png

I enjoy seeing my allies best Friesland on their own, but then they head to occupy Cusabo and the West Indies force (now at over 7K) move to meet them. I cannot get there in time and in February 1600, my allies lose and begin a shattered retreat. But my superior Creek warriors hope to take advantage of the lowered morale and chase the winning army. We meet in Waccamaw in May of 1600.

iWYaLZJ.png

War score is now 31%.

I send my force back to Cusabo to take it back once more while Friesland lands a meager army in Chesapeake. My task is complete by August, but the better part is an awesome Sale of Titles events that nets me 112.17 in beaver pelts! I’m not hurting for it, but every one helps. War score is now 33% and my brave warriors move north to face this small Friesland force. The Battle of Chesapeake is won by September and I head home.

Of course, Friesland is not done. They land another force of 5K and have taken back Cusabo by November and then head to meet us. This they do amidst the woods of Coweta in December...

Y5h7upM.png

I have to say that every time these battles begin and their morale is always better than ours, I am on pins and needles. However, by January 1601 we do win the thing and gain another 5.74 in war score! A Global Trade Event fires and we don’t even pay attention. We are giddy. War score is at 39% and we have handled everything they have thrown at us. By February, Cusabo is occupied once more and I note that Friesland’s excitement for this crusade has waned. But I am not going to make peace on my own and leave Powhatan to get swallowed up. On we go.

In April, Friesland West Indies lands yet another force near Powhatan and it doesn’t look good for my ally. I send my Grand Army north once more. They beat Powhatan but I march right forward and meet them with over 25K of my own to their almost 5K. I am prepared to stand my ground at this point and we gain yet another victory. Another 5.74 to the war score brings it to 37%.

Yet Friesland is not done. Another full force lands to Chesapeake with a two star leader in May and after taking it back, I attack head on. They have 2K cavalry and 3K cannon and I am confident now. We meet in July and...

QGWO0BP.png

War score is now 46%.

They are defeated but they will not admit it and I’m not going to make a separate peace. And so on it goes. And as we wait for the next landing force, we are notified that we can embrace a new technology – Colonialism.

LQTB8QC.png

It would certainly help with our tech disadvantage/penalty but it costs a heap ton, and while I have the pelts, I’d rather get enough to move up to Feudalism which costs 631 pelts (yes, we are that far behind.) So I decline to pull the trigger for now. I have a war to win. I’ve lost half of my manpower by now, but I have bested them every time we faced off. And they still send more.

By December of 1601, they are landing another 5K force from the West Indies to Powhatan. So what does a good ally do? I move north again. Portugal cancels their military access agreement with us in January of 1602, but we don’t care. By now we are in Cheraw and heading to Powhatan ourselves. And by March, we join the fight and win once again. War score is 58%.

The nobles of the tribe are jerks at this moment and demand increased pensions. I tell them to sit on the totem pole and refuse. It drops stability back to +1, but who cares? I am so close!

WUC5gB8.png

I get a Stable Government event that loses me 50 admin power but I’m still single minded. I’m just sitting and waiting for one of two things. Another landing so I can go beat the piss out of them again or for them to finally accept reality. And then finally, in August of 1602, it happens...

ZhU9Xcv.png

I gain Cusabo out of it, which is nice, though I imagine I might have received more for all of my work had I claims to other lands we held. But the point of the matter is...this was the real first contact. And we won!

We celebrate by sending our long relaxed colonist to Guale and once he is there, we can make Georgia a state. This then allows us to complete another mission “Conquer New States” which gives some nice bonuses…

Z3tEuf3.png

The peace with Friesland doesn’t end until 1610, so we have a moment to consider our next power move. Is PLAV next? Am I too cocky?

And I notice now that I have chance to convert to Christianity. Yet do I want to? It would end many relationships I have with my loyal neighbors. I mean...Huron was crucial to this war! And I’m still not sure about adopting Colonialism or should I wait to afford Feudalism? So many choices suddenly. And to think I was frightened...as I should have been.

That will all have to wait. We end at the end of 1602 and Creek is all powerful…for now.

5Nb3vp9.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I really liked this update. Very compelling, and I was on the edge of my seat too.

Reactions:
Friesland is humbled.

There is hope for the natives after all!

Reactions:
Then in May, they start producing tobacco which is a good thing apparently since Portugal just informed us that Tobacco is trading rather well these days. Hell, we knew that all along. What did you think was in our pipes?
Uh… no comment.

That was a blistering update, coz! Real edge of the seat stuff as others have said. How thrilling to have got the better of some Europeans. (So what if they are only Friesland, a win is a win!)

Time to sit back a bit, remember how to breathe and focus on keeping things steady till 1610 rolls around. I torn between thinking you should cut Fritz off and head for the coast, or make the most of that nice patch of hinterland before PLAV gets too cosy. Has Bruce given any sign of heading east of the Mississippi?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Do you think this is how we can eventually win? Sieiging out the colonies on the mainland, then scooping up the piecemeal armies as they show up as reinforcements?

Might take a long time but...

Reactions:
May I ask why you haven't reformed your government? You are terribly disadvantaged with -2 morale than Friesland but even with that it is a Pyrrhic war. If you want to be stronger, reform your government so it is easier for you to expand

Reactions: