• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LordEnglish

Second Lieutenant
40 Badges
Dec 1, 2013
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
Hello, CK2 forum! I've been playing CK2 for a few months now, and I thought I would break into the AAR world. So, this is my first:

God Savoie The King!

btdo.jpg

I'm playing as the duke of Savoy, whose name is Aymon de Savoie. The date is 1 January 1337, so I have just over 100 years before the game ends. My primary goal is to become King of Burgundy.

I've already played through the first 10 years or so, so the first real update will go up probably tomorrow.

Good luck! :)

Burgundy? Why not Italy and complete the Risorgimento early!

@GreatUberGeek : Thanks! I hope it will be interesting!

@Greenskyguy : Well, Savoy is in de jure Burgundy, so I just need 4 more counties and another duchy title! When/if I succeed, I will probably expand into Italy given that the alternatives are France and the HRE!

Chapter I: The reign of Duke Aymon of Savoy

So here we are, the Duchy of Savoy! Let's look at Duke Aymon and his lands.
btdo.jpg

Stats are not particularly good, but he's already 45 so hopefully we won't have to worry about that for long! I border the giant monsters of France and the HRE, so I will have to be wary. That white colour in Provence is the Kingdom of Naples, so they won't be a pushover when I get to them.

However, my demesne is criminally small. I use my only decent stat, Intrigue, to force a revocation of Geneve.
dcw8.jpg

Poor Count Amedee, but you were in my way! Thanks for not rebelling!

I'm going to try to take advantage of the Pope's powers in this game, so it's time to boost my piety. Off to Cologne!
9kzt.jpg

The Pope calls a Crusade.
0qtc.jpg

I join, then realize I have no boats. And I'm not walking, and the merc boats are way too expensive. So, sorry Pope!

The Byzantines call for my help! Apparently my sister is married to the Basileus. But still no boats, so you can holy war against Mentese on your own.

England wins their claim war on France! They had the HRE's help.
f079.jpg

That's a scary blob.

However, it's also an unstable one. It falls into civil war for someone's claim on France a scant 3 months later.
i5ev.jpg

One of my kinsmen has a claim on the county of Lyon, but it's not rebelling. Rebel so I can eat you, Lyon! Meanwhile, I try to get the Pope to give my a claim on Forez in Burgundy. It's a maybe, but fails twice. So what did I even go on a pilgrimage for, Pope?

A few months later, England faces more rebelling vassals, who want independence. And Lyon is one of them! Your doom is nigh!
haxz.jpg

...or not, says the 15000 Englishmen.

However, as 1340 opens, the English army wanders off somewhere. Must be teatime. They're not occupying Lyon, so it's time for WAR!

I smash their puny 500 men, and occupy a couple holdings. Within a year, the war is won.
hnvp.jpg

It is, unfortunately, a Prince-Bishopric, so I won't be getting too much out of it since in SoA it seems that everyone loves the pope. But it is land nonetheless, and now I need only 3 more counties to become Burgundy.

One of the holdings in Lyon is held by Burgundy, who's still rebelling. That mean old pope still won't give me a claim on Forez, so I decide to take the holding instead.
1srm.jpg

This was probably a mistake, since it can't really get me much. But I really hate it when holdings are not held by their proper county.

Meanwhile the crusade fails. I guess everyone was too busy fighting other Christians. The sunnis decide that Christianity must have gone soft, so they jihad for Andalucia.

Meanwhile x2, my jewish chancellor fabricates a claim on Saluzzo. I put him there so I could get a second duchy (Susa), but... the Burgundy war is making me low on funds... so I'll take the piety. I send the chancellor to fabricate claims on Grisons instead, since that's actually in Burgundy (though owned by Lombardy).

Meanwhile x3, I begin some plotting. In nearby Monferrato, the count has a daughter (to whom I am married) and a son (to whom I am not). The son, Giovanni, is obviously next in line, so I think it's time for him to have an accident...
hsy0.jpg

A smelly accident. (You can also see the Basileus calling for my help again; a civil war I think.)

It is a success, though now the count hates me. Whatever! Time to kill Giovanni's infant son, too. It takes two tries, but it also succeeds.
4z42.jpg

What a sad life the baby had.

Anyway, my wife is now the heiress to Monferrato.
m4yj.jpg

Once that's inherited, I can create the Duchy of Susa. Too bad it's not in Burgundy though.

I guess one of my vassals objects to killing babies, cause he decides that I'm not the real duke!
y6qz.jpg

In fact this bastard is the duke. Artur is literally a bastard. He also happens to be my marshall. Go kill those people who want you in charge, Artur!

His county, Piemonte, is in the Alps though. My army is slightly bigger, but not enough that I'm comfortable with that. He marches his army away, though, so I besiege Piemonte. His army goes around the Alps and besieges Geneve. Which is plains, not mountain. Excellent...

Meanwhile in France, England finally won one of their civil wars, ending my war with Burgundy, which wasn't going anywhere anyway. The independence war is still ongoing.
cbj8.jpg

You can also see mine and the rebels' army sizes (2600 vs 2000).

My army soon swells by about 1000 troops because of a loyalist event.
qljz.jpg

Obviously, Baby-killer > Bastard.

After completing the siege of Piemonte, I march my army to Geneve.
uriu.jpg

It is a decisive victory for team baby-killer. A follow-up battle in my capital wipes out their army, forcing them to surrender. I revoke Piemonte, putting me at 3/3 demesne.

Baby-killing and civil wars apparently turn my wife on, because we have another son, Hamelin de Savoie! I haven't mentioned it, but my heir is Amedee de Savoie, who existed at the start of the game. A daughter was also preexisting, and I had a second daughter sometime earlier.

Burgundy and some other English vassals rebel again, I think for another claim on France.
f3xk.jpg

My levies are depleted now and my vassals are angry, so I don't even try to get the Pope to give me a claim. You can also see that the HRE is in civil war. Savoy is an island of calm right now.

And at age 54, Duke Aymon dies without even a nickname.
xtkl.jpg

Duke Amedee is only 12, so we have a 4 year regency ahead of us. Joy...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, that's just 4 months shy of 10 years of gameplay. A fairly unremarkable start, with only one county gained. Any feedback is welcome, especially since this is my first AAR!

Mike already said it. But England taking over France...:confused: Sometimes it can take me years to get a single county. :(

Late start dates are always interesting with the different kingdoms that are involved. But England eating France!!! That's definitely no good for Europe!

I was curious about what Navarra is doing up in Normandy though, that seems a bit weird :p

I was curious about what Navarra is doing up in Normandy though, that seems a bit weird :p
It's actually part of the 1337 start. :D

@mike the knight : Haha, yes I'm glad to still be alive! The instability of my neighbours helps.

@GreatUberGeek : Well, England begins with a strong claim on France because of the 100 years war. In the long run, mega-England will be a problem unless a French claimant fails to oust them. In the meantime, I can try to prey on rebelling vassals! The county I got was because a kinsman had a claim, so that was basically given to me.

@tnick0225 : Yes, Europe is in trouble, especially if the England-HRE alliance persists! And yes, Navarra does control part of Normandy at the start. In fact the King of Navarra is Frankish I believe, and his capital is some county in Aquitaine.

I will try to post the second update on Tuesday or Wednesday!

Chapter II: The reign of Duke Amédée VI of Savoy, Part One

After the death of Duke Aymon in 1346, his son Duke Amedee inherited the duchy at the age of 12 years.
jcyu.jpg

There have apparently been five other Amedees. His stats aren't too good so far, but they're not worse than his father's.

Before I do anything, I happen to open the diplo mapmode, and notice I have a casus belli on Aargau. It seems my vassal and spymaster, Count Rudolf, has fabricated himself a claim! At 76, he's not getting any younger, so I press the claim right away.
d0ci.jpg

Aargau is a rebelling vassal of Austria, who in turn is a rebelling vassal of the HRE! I herd u like rebels so I put some rebels in ur rebels - oh shut up, me.

Anyway, an Austrian army almost got to Aargau, but some Hungarians killed them (Hungary is allied with the HRE, for now). It turns out that old Count Rudolf died before I could complete the war, so it didn't matter anyway.

Meanwhile, my chancellor fabricates me a claim on Grisons, which is currently rebelling against its liege, Lombardy. I can take them on, so I decide to wait and attack them after their war.

Then, the peasants revolt!
0ook.jpg

They don't much like that I'm French and they're Italian, but Savoy is de jure Burgundy, so they can't do a liberation revolt. Unfortunately, even peasants can find enough troops to threaten my armies -- especially since my capital levies are stuck under siege.

I move the capital to Geneve, so I can hire mercs there.
siqs.jpg

With their help the revolt is easily crushed in the Battle of Vercelli.

The peasants aren't the only traitors though. My regent is stealing money!
t1dk.jpg

Well I have a toy horse with his name on it... These events happened within the same month. Unfortunately he survived, but hopefully I taught him a lesson!

The final years of the regency pass mostly uneventfully. England defeated the independence rebels, leaving them with only one revolt left.

In 1350, Amedee comes of age! Stats are only marginally improved.
clzv.jpg

I set up a betrothal to an Aragonese Princess. I hope the alliance will come in handy!

With that, it is time to press my claim on Grisons!
0pb4.jpg

Thus began the Great Savoyard-Lombard War.

I figured that our armies would be about the same size, so if I got to mountainous Grisons first, I would be safe there to siege it. Turns out they had 7000 troops! Must be mercs or something.
cuec.jpg

They won the first battle of Locarno, but I had hired my own mercs and defeated their army in the second.

I shortly wiped out their army, but with the mercs I was at -20 gold per month. Furthermore, my remaining levies were not enough to siege with. I dismissed the mercs, and let some of my levies replenish. A few other levies patrolled Lombardy.

While waiting, England finally finishes its civil war; victoriously, unfortunately. They would soon replace some of the French dukes with English ones.

One of my sisters comes of age, and I marry her to King Luigi of Trinacria. I probably should have checked him out first, because it turns out he's being attacked in 3 wars, and will be of no help to me. We agree to join each others wars, but neither of us sends any troops.

HRE update: continuous civil wars. I noted each new emperor, but they came and went so quickly. It mainly bounced around between the Habsburgs and the Reginars (a Dutch dynasty); some other dynasties held the title for short times, including the Welfs.

It has been two years since the battles of Locarno. My levies are ready to siege Grisons again!
kn4j.jpg

...seems the Lombards are ready to fight us off again, too. I hired more mercs.

This time, they caught up before my army was defeated.
5lrz.jpg

Victory! ...Except I lost 2000 men, mostly my own levies. Also, I'm suffering from lack of funds. I get rid of the mercs.

As I go through the same cycle of replenishing my levies, my betrothed comes of age! Perhaps Aragon can win me the war!

Emboldened, I raise my levies a third time. The siege goes smoothly, until...
3m4x.jpg

The Lombards are stubborn bastards! I hire mercs again.

The Lombards weren't fast enough though. The siege is completed before they arrive!
exc7.jpg

My levies are defeated by their army, but the mercs defeat them in turn.

The war has lasted 4 years, and finally Lombardy surrenders! This was definitely one of the most frustrating (and fun) wars I've had in CKII!
krca.jpg

Also, 900 Aragonese arrived, but too late to do anything.

Now see Savoy, in all her glory! What do you mean, England is way bigger than me? Aww....
3tfz.jpg

Aside from Brittany picking up a county, England came through their civil wars intact. They're picking on Navarra for their Norman possessions. (also, not pictured: conquering Ireland)

Not much happens for two years as my levy numbers tick up.

Then, Aragon demands my help against Castille. I initially raise some levies, thinking they would need all the help they could get, but...
dvw9.jpg

Galicia and Leon have broken away from Castille! And Galicia got Andalucia! Realizing I don't really have anything to contribute here, my levies stand down. Soon, Aragon defeated Castille.

Back in my neighbourhood, I receive news the my grandfather died!
qtbm.jpg

He was the count of Monferrato, whose son and other grandson I had killed when I was Duke Aymon! My mother is now the countess.

But mom, I want the county!
8kpn.jpg

My mother's army stands no chance.
jlg2.jpg

I settle in for the siege; meanwhile I fabricate a claim on Bern, owned by rebelling Baden.

The siege lasts one year, then she surrenders the county.
7k8n.jpg

And Duke Amedee gains a second duchy.

@mike the knight : Just a little, indeed!

Chapter III: The reign of Duke Amédée VI of Savoy and Susa, Part Two

Using the claim I fabricated earlier, I go to war with Baden for the county of Bern.
w24z.jpg

Aragon joins in with me; the war they were involved in predictably ends with them curbstomping Castille, so their large army comes to help!

With their army, I successfully assault the holdings of Kyburg and Bern, putting me at 67 warscore! But then Baden's civil war ends again.
if59.jpg

The emperor is Dutch, so the next civil war probably won't be too far off.

I have some space in my demesne, so I try to plot-revoke Valais.
cvcu.jpg

Prince-Bishop Guiges is not amused. However, he can't really stand against me. I crush his army, which had run all the way to Schwitz, and go to siege his county.

As I suspected, another HRE civil war begins. I'll be there soon, Baden!

I win the war against the Prince-Bishop.
mwjd.jpg

I consider declaring war against Baden again, but the civil war is almost over. You have a reprieve for now, Baden.

Aragon asks for my help against the Duchy of Mallorca. They have only one county, so it's no contest. With their victory here, Aragon has all of their de jure territory.

Back home, the peasants in Savoy have all learned French! Savoy's in a tricky position culturally, with Frankish, Occitan, Italian, and German culture. In fact, the inhabitants in Monferrato are sick of learning French, and they have some sort of mutant turtle on their side.
9xxs.jpg

This revolt is actually looking serious, though. They have 10000 men, and I can't quite field that many yet. Fortunately I have Aragon on my side! Oh Aragon, whatever would I do without you?
10cb.jpg

With the Aragonese, we outnumber them 2-to-1, so they are crushed without me having to dig into my precious treasury for mercs. (side note: during the war, Timur arrived; the year is 1362.)

The HRE is in another civil war, so back to Baden, I suppose.
ht2n.jpg

I defeat their troops again, and Aragon joins again. But the HRE civil war ends once more. During the war, Duke Amedee had his first child: Ermessinde, a daughter.

No sooner had the civil war ended, another started. Okay, this time, Baden.
w3h1.jpg

Their armies are defeated again.

Something is odd, though. I look at the emperor, and find that there is no civil war: Baden is independent for real, as well as some other former vassals, notably Bohemia. So this time, I will definitely be able to win! My brother Hamelin thinks this is boring though, so he asks to join the Hospitallers. Sure, whatever.

In 1365, the war is won!
rvul.jpg

Just one more county... and in fact, I already have a claim set up!

Before we get to that though, there's some family affairs. Most importantly, my firstborn son!
805e.jpg

Meet Andre de Savoie, who will probably inherit! Unfortunately, my wife dies of pneumonia soon after.

So I look around, and here's the new wife.
elgt.jpg

Since her children won't be inheriting, I just find someone with good stats.

Now it is time for war!
wn9u.jpg

Queen Echive of Naples holds the county of Forcalquier, henceforth known as That County. With the acquisition of That County, I will be able to become King!

Queen Echive is married to the Duke of Ferrara, so he joins in too. Ha, but even the both of you can't match the might of Aragon! Hey, wait, where's Aragon?

Oh yeah, my old wife, the Princess of Aragon, died. ... Ahem.

Looks like I'm alone for this one. I send all my troops to siege That County. It's a mountain surrounded my rivers, so I should be safe while I siege it.
suxw.jpg

The first siege is completed in December 1368.

Meanwhile, some Croatian guy asks for my help in one of his wars. It seems one of my sisters remarried? I don't have time to mess around in Croatia though.

It's now January 1371, just over two years since the start of the war. That County is completely occupied.
yv4o.jpg

Oddly enough, the enemy hasn't attacked or even besieged my territory. They seem to be dropping off troops by boat in Provence, then sending the troops back over land to Naples, then sending them back again to Provence. Some AI glitch, I guess.

I've saved up enough money to hire enough mercs to outnumber the enemy and begin to chase their army around the Alps. Meanwhile, my new wife has a son, named Amedee after me, and the Pope calls another Crusade. Not now, Pope.

My army catches theirs in That County.
nnk3.jpg

Despite the mountains and rivers, we are victorious!

They have to choice but to surrender.
74a3.jpg

Which means that now, there's a new king in Europe.
yafc.jpg

King Amedee of Burgundy!

No, wait, that just doesn't feel right.
sytw.jpg

King Amedee of Savoy! God Savoie The King!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And with that, the primary goal of the AAR is completed in 34 years. I've played a bit further, consolidating my territory, and have some ideas about where to go from here, but if anyone has suggestions that would be welcome!

Last edited:
You should try to crusade against some North African land >:)

Good to see you form Burgundy! I had great fun making Burgundy and turning it into a world power, but only due to a few lucky inheritances. I'm not sure what the best direction for you to go in would be.

From the map, I guess if I were you I'd go after Lombardy next, and move into Italy...Looking forward to seeing where your next moves take us!

@Jokolytic : At the moment Savoy is too far away to have the Holy War CB. But that may well change!

@tnick0225 : Having played quite a bit further, I have not yet expanded into Italy because of something that happened, which pushed me in a different direction entirely! I won't get to that in this update, but probably the next one.

Chapter IV: The reign of King Amédée of Savoy, Part Three

The first thing Amedee does while wearing his newly-forged crown is to get the Count of Saluzzo to swear fealty.
5j0h.jpg

Also, with my money starting to accumulate, I decide to invest some in a cardinal. The peasants in That County are mad about that for some reason.
44zo.jpg

At this point, 5000 rebelling peasants isn't enough to pose a threat. I raise my armies and crush them. King Amedee gets his military education trait improved in the battle though, which is nice! I also remember to institute Limited Crown Authority in the new kingdom.

Meanwhile, in the holy land, the Crusaders managed to win! Bohemia now controls Jerusalem.
2f8r.jpg

As you can see, they don't control most of it though: it's divided between several muslim states, some of which are rebels, I think.

Back home, we notice the tiny Republic of Switzerland on our borders. This is a titular title that I believe only appears in later starts.
qznm.jpg

The war only takes 6 months, then we're done.

Seeking harder battles, King Amedee holds a great tournament. Surely there is someone in his realm better than him?
39j1.jpg

Apparently not. Some other guys get second and third place, or as Amedee calls them: first and second loser.

Back to war! A continual annoyance has been our lack of ships, so it's time to take Nice from Genoa.
3grt.jpg

Serbia joins me, because that's apparently where my sisters are now. They don't help much anyway.

I hire some mercenaries, and send two large stacks to besiege Nice and Genoa. For a year, I wait as sieges end. Eventually, they send 11000 troops to Nice!
rdvc.jpg

However, with half morale, mountains, and my numeric advantage from moving the siegers in Genoa to Nice, they are utterly defeated. I'm not sure why they did that. Shortly after the battle, another 12000 Genoans arrive, with the same result. Maybe they intended to land them at the same time.

The Genoans surrender in shame.
50m0.jpg

And now we have access to the sea! Nice is a Prince-Bishopric though, so he won't give me his ships when he likes the Pope more.

Turning my attention to the north again, I see the Duchy of Burgundy rebelling. They have a county of mine, so after waiting a bit to replenish my levies, I declare war.
r3kv.jpg

Shortly after declaring war, I get a message that my wife is trying to kill my son! (from my previous wife.) I persuade her to put the knife down; if you're jealous we can make another kid just for you.

I manage to partly occupy Forez, and they have sent their army to siege Lyon. Like many counties in this region, Lyon is surrounded by river crossings, but there is one county where the road is clear. I attack them from there.
g1if.jpg

It's a victory, but a costly one. I follow their demoralized army and get enough warscore to win!
z96u.jpg

I settle in for three years of peace to replenish the levies. My chancellor, who had something like 23 diplomacy, goes off on an adventure to become king of Cyprus, and the peasants in Valais learn French. I also learn that the Muslims are on a jihad for Aragon! I kind of hope they win, since that would be an excellent direction for expansion.

In 1382, Prince Andre comes of age! His martial stat is pretty awesome.
zv1j.jpg

Looking at the list of potential brides, I find a perfect one: a princess of Portugal, and a genius! Hopefully that gets inherited. I give the prince That County to see if he can make sense of its spelling. Once I get the duchy of Provence, I will give it to him too.

In fact, why don't I get it now? I declare war on Naples.
zbyh.jpg

Nice is nice and all, but Savoy needs a longer coast!

I then learn that Naples has four Kings as allies! Poland, Hungary, Croatia, and Serbia! Fortunately, only Croatia contributed anything.

The first three years of war are spent besieging Provence; a Neapolitan army of 9000 men arrived after a bit and started besieging Nice. Amedee and his wife find ways to occupy themselves during the long sieges, and soon Amedee has a new daughter, Beatrice. Also, my son's betrothed comes of age! This gives me an alliance with Portugal, but they like Naples way too much to help.

In 1385, Provence has been completely occupied. In the capital, I began forming some retinues, because I forgot about that before now.
2ljq.jpg

Naples, having occupied part of Nice, is sending its army somewhere else. I take the opportunity to take back Nice.

It turns out Naples' army was heading to attack my retinues in Savoy! I hire some mercs to scare them off.
pmn1.jpg

Also, Croatia landed 3000 troops in Provence. I split my army and send half to deal with them.

I defeat the Croatians in the Battle of Marseille!
frw2.jpg

Naples sends its army around the Alps for some reason.

I receive word that the Jihad for Aragon failed. I guess the Rereconquista is not happening today.

My armies catch Naples' army in Geneve, and defeat them.
jytn.jpg

They have no choice but to surrender!
ioj9.jpg

With that, I can usurp the Duchy of Provence! I give it to my son Andre.
n56h.jpg

I'm trusting you with all the boats in Savoy, Andre. Don't mess it up.

Hopefully Prince Andre doesn't muck things up in Provence! Very curious about which direction you end up going instead of into Italy. I guess if England splinters you could gain some access into Aquitaine. And Andre's marriage into Portugal could lead to some interesting things as well.

Looking forward to more :) Love seeing Burgundy rising back to the top!

Oh look an update only 2 days later! I'm going to try to finish this before RoI comes out, whenever that is.

@mike the knight : Fortunately I betrothed him to the Portuguese princess BEFORE I landed him. So bullet dodged there :).

@tnick0225 : Thanks! I did rename the Kingdom of Burgundy to the Kingdom of Savoy, though.

Chapter V: The reign of King Amédée 'the Lion' of Savoy, Part Four​

In 1386, Amedee has his first grandson! The parents named him Amedee too. But... there's something wrong with him...
v32w.jpg

What?! Inbred? ... After digging through the family trees, I conclude that the parents are both great-grandchildren of one King Jaume II 'the Just' of Aragon. Sorry son, I didn't know she was your second cousin when I set this up!

As the firstborn son of my firstborn son, inbred Amedee is now second in line for the throne. We obviously can't have that! I immediately set up a plot, proving that King Amedee is just as willing to kill babies as his late father. The plot fortunately goes off without a hitch, and I tell my son to make a new, non-inbred heir.

Shortly afterwards, King Amedee has his own son (not inbred): Aymon, after his grandfather. Shortly, King Amedee's second son, also Amedee, comes of age. (don't worry, I'm getting confused by all the Amedees too, not to mention Andres and Aymons. The de Savoies apparently like the letter A.)

It's now been a few years without war, so it's time to continue expansion! England is involved in a small independence war at the moment, and there are two de jure counties of mine (Borgogne and Venaissin) that are rebelling. After thinking about which to go for, I decide: both at once seems good.
7hox.jpg

I send half of my armies to each county.

As my wars begin, my heir Andre begins his own war: to claim Aragon!
bv6x.jpg

He is the son of an Aragonese princess. This is annoying, since if he wins I lose Provence until Amedee dies, and if he loses then he loses the claim, which I may want to use later. So I hope for a white peace.

Back in my wars, I focus on Borgogne first, using lots of troops to assault their holdings. Soon I win that war.
5kuo.jpg

The count there, who is English, doesn't like that much and immediately founds an independence faction. I'll deal with him soon.

I assault the other county, and soon win that war.
o7cf.jpg

Apparently this guy also owns some county in England, so I get this county directly. I decide to give it to my second son, Amedee, and give him the duchy of Dauphine too. This may result in a succession war later, but that just makes it more fun! (aside: at this point I own all of my de jure territory except for Aargau, in the HRE, and Avignon, owned by the Pope)

While my levies replenish from all that assaulting, I ponder the situation with the English count in Borgogne. The fact that he wants independence isn't so bad since no one else joined his faction; rather, the problem is that he is married to a countess in England, so if she dies first the county will pass out of my realm. So the obvious solution is to kill him first.
uknb.jpg

I console the new 9-year-old countess whose father died in a manure explosion by finding someone to teach her proper French.

Meanwhile, my son and his second cousin/wife have managed to produce a non-inbred grandson!
35wu.jpg

Meet Pierre de Savoie, who has broken family tradition and got a name that doesn't begin with A. Someday I may be playing as him!

My Portuguese allies call me in for a war against Leon.
y66q.jpg

I say sure, why not, and send some troops.

On the way there, my chaplin converts to Waldensian and asks if I want to join. While its tempting to suddenly become a heretic, it would give the HRE or England the perfect excuse to come and take all my land. So it's off to the dungeon with him.

In Leon, my troops and Portugal's easily overwhelm the Leonese. The war ends swiftly in a Portuguese victory.

And so we come to another period of peace. Prince Andre has a daughter, Marie, who inherited her mother's 'genius' trait instead of the male heir, Pierre. Also, my son gets a white peace in his war for Aragon, just as I wanted. It's around now that King Amedee gets his awesome nickname:
qvzg.jpg

King Amedee the Lion! His stats are okay, but nothing Lion-worthy I would think, but whatever!

At this point Amedee is 60, so I'm just waiting around for him to die. But... he doesn't. I revoke a county tyrannically to alleviate the boredom.

In 1398, 8 years after the previous war, Portugal calls again for help against Galicia.
0dij.jpg

What is at stake? Only one holding. I join anyway. Note that Galicia is pretty powerful because they got all of Andalusia when Castille fell apart.

The war begins slowly, with me besieging some counties in the south. Portugal has a bit of trouble when the Irish Band decides to invade them, but the rest of Portugal's troops were enough to fight them off.

During this war I got an interesting event that I hadn't seen before.
42ph.jpg

The alternative here was -2 health, so I decided to get rid of my sins of pride and greed instead.

Near the end of 1400, my sieges bring the warscore up to 100, so the war ends and my armies go home.
9d21.jpg

Then something catches my attention at home: France is free!
y0j7.jpg

Amedee celebrates the freedom of his French brethren by declaring war for his wife's claim on a neighbouring county. Portugal joins with me.

A revolt soon springs up in English Aquitaine: it may be free soon too. At home, Amedee's third son Aymon comes of age.

In the war against France, I start by besieging some border counties. France comes after me with a huge army, but my armies all together are huger.
8xxq.jpg

Yes, that's 75 warscore from one battle! Their army is chased down and destroyed, and they have no choice but to hand the county over... to my wife, of course. Since it's not a de jure vassal of mine, my wife is now an independent countess. And she won't accept vassalisation, how ungrateful! When she dies my duke son will inherit the county anyway, so it's not a big deal.

Then, in 1405, the Pope calls a Crusade! For... Andalusia?
dtu0.jpg

It seems Mauritania invaded Galician Andalusia when I was busy with France! And I have plenty of levies, lots of money stored up... alright! Let's crusade! I hire some mercenaries to help out.

When all the troops are loaded into the boats, this happens:
v1e8.jpg

Another event I hadn't seen! I take the zealous trait because obviously bleeding hands is nothing to worry about!

My troops soon land in Grenada. I order some assaults. Then, I see the Pope's army being outnumbered by some muslims! My troops march over.
2j6d.jpg

Me and the Pope fight side by side and fight them off! The Pope goes to kill their army while I besiege Almansa.

And then comes a real stroke of luck: the Pope captures the Sultan!
vs58.jpg

And it turns out...
yq5t.jpg

Savoy contributed the most. This about doubles my territory!

Amedee the Lion began as a mere duke in the Alps. Now he is two kings in one, and a major power in Europe!

I didn't even notice you had the changed the name to Kingdom of Savoy! I guess that's why you kept using the name Savoy lol...but anyway...

Nice job capturing Andalusia. Do you plan on holding it? Or handing it off to a relative so you don't have to administer a far off realm? Would have been fun giving Andalusia to the inbred grandson ;)

However, now it looks like you will have some Iberian ambitions to go after, possibly work towards forming the Spanish Empire. And with France free I'm sure that will make westward expansion and possibly connecting Andalusia and Savoy a little easier.