• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Adam Rinkleff

Sergeant
3 Badges
Jun 24, 2013
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
I keep playing with the Timurids. The normal gameplay bores me, because there is too much waiting around for infamy to decrease and manpower to increase. The hordes however, are more interesting, with constant warfare and endless rebellion. If you expand too quickly you run out of manpower, and if you expand too slowly you get out-teched by Europe.

Now that Eu4 is out, I guess Eu3 isn't terribly popular (not that it ever was), but I feel the Timurid game is a worthwhile mental challenge. Maybe this will encourage some other people to give it a try. As far as I can tell, nobody has ever achieved a world conquest with Timurid. The only AAR which came close started in 5.1 (before the manpower nerf), and removed leaders from the rebels (greatly reducing the challenge). I want to play a vanilla game, no mods of any kind. In fact, I'm going to give myself a handicap: no advisors before January 1401. I implemented this rule to punish myself for constantly trying to get better leaders by restarting endlessly.

Here is the basic initial strategy I've developed over more than a hundred games: Play defensively in the west and annex Bagdad, once the Egyptians invade Alvan (they always do), counterattack and wipe them out. I used to move directly upon Damascus, but found this was risky if there was an early succession crisis. Subsequently, annex the trade centres at Kutch and Alexandria. Vassalize as much as possible and rebuild manpower, maximizing the number of regiments deployed.

There are two major variables to consider. Usually, but not always, the Ottomans ally with the Jalayirdi (Bagdad). If so, they can prove troublesome when they counterattack, usually just as the horde is disorganized from battle with Egypt. Fortunately, with the opening below, Trebizond often occupies Erzurum, and the Ottomans rarely advance. Regardless, it can be difficult to decide what to do about the Ottomans. I usually try to avoid a battle for Eruzurum (its not a core!), but somehow I seem to always get sucked into a bloody war of attrition. This tends to waste manpower, and its important to note that the Ottomans have national conscripts, so its pointless to try and bleed them dry. I think its best to avoid battle with them as long as possible, but that's easier said then done. They often force a battle, and once they lose that battle, its very hard to resist the urge to pursue. However, as they fall back into the mountains of Anatolia, this can result in very high casualties.

The other main variable is in regard to Timur. He can die quickly, within the first week, triggering the first succession crisis. This is not as bad as it sounds, if he dies before you annex any territory, the succession crisis will actually be less severe. However, ideally, you want him to help win some battles against Egypt. However, if he dies during battle, you get -1 to stability! Its hard to decide whether its worth using him at all. Probably the worst start is when his heir, Khalil, dies before Timur. This triggers a regency and is really problematic. I've seen Khalil, Timur, and Miranshah all die within the first month. Othertimes, I've seen them all live through 1410. So this can have a huge impact on the start of the game. If I could, I think I'd use a kill_ruler cheat (apparently its disabled?) and just have Timur die right at the beginning. That way every game would have the same beginning.

Here is my opening in the northwest:
tumblr_ndchvuPsEM1r8y0fvo1_1280.jpg

8k Alvan->Mosul
8k Alvan->Armenia
9k Alvan->Sharizor
15k Erzurum->Alvan (Miranshah)
4k Erzurum->Mus
5k Erzurum->Imereti

Further south:
tumblr_ndci2viCAu1r8y0fvo1_1280.jpg

13k Ahvaz->Bagdad (Timur)
7k Ahvaz->Alqaeda
6k Ahvaz-Basra
3k Cavalry recruited from Hamadan to Khuzestan

In the east:
tumblr_ndcikjRsnp1r8y0fvo1_1280.jpg

2k Samarqand->Badakh
1k Infantry, 1k Cavalry recruited from Qarshi and Fergana; the infantry in Fergana will produce quickly enough to support the battle in Badakh
The Kashmiri can be pretty random; sometimes they retreat back home, othertimes they retreat toward Kabul. Sometimes they recruit 4-5 regiments, othertimes they recruit nobody.
Although small, their army actually has the highest morale of all my enemies, so the army from Samarqand can have difficulty if the Kashmiri start recruiting.

Further south:
tumblr_ndciohCRFK1r8y0fvo1_1280.jpg

The horde from Ahvaz will usually arrive in time to save Alqaeda from the Sindhi.
I build a cavalry in Gazni,which can either go north against Kashmir, or south to the Sindh.
Occassionally the Sindhi go to war with the Rajputs, which is annoying if the Rajputs try to annex the trade centre at Kutch.

As for the rest of the setup, I move the first slider toward land, put all investments toward stability, send merchants to my three trade centres (Samarqand, Fars, and Hormuz), and I usually wait for prestige to increase a bit before seeking royal marriages with the other hordes. I've really been struggling with land maintenance, decreasing it will lower morale but increase income. Is it worth it? Obviously, high morale is wasted if units aren't in combat, so at some point its probably worth lowering. At the beginning, you might get away with a slight decrease, but that won't bring in much gold, so its probably not worth the risk. The most important thing early on is to crush the Egyptians.

================================================================================
January 1400
The main difficulty here will be simultaneously defending Alvan against both the Ottomans and the Egyptians, although the Ottomans will usually halt to occupy Erzurum. I'm going to move against the Egyptians with the bulk of the army under Timur, leaving Miranshah to hold Alvan with reinforcements from Armenia and Sharizor.
tumblr_ndckynDV771r8y0fvo1_1280.jpg

July 1400
Although Egypt has been defeated, the Osmanli are marching upon Lake Van. I'll try to use reinforcements as a threat and keep them from advancing. Fighting them will just waste manpower, as I'm not ready to march into Anatolia, especially not when a succession crisis is coming. Unfortunately, they can be very persistent and manage to force a battle. Fortunately, they retreat into Armenia, and I annihilate half of their army. This isn't as great as it sounds, since they will rebuild.
tumblr_ndcm4a0jc31r8y0fvo1_1280.jpg

March 1401
The other half of the Osmanli army marches through Mus into Syria, approaching Bagdad from the west. This allows me to liberate Erzurum and advance into Anatolia. Meanwhile, after defeating the army in Armenia, I am able to regroup in time to stop the second army. In the east, Kashmir has capitulated, agreeing to vassalization. Miranshah is dead, but Timur lives!
tumblr_ndcolvKTBz1r8y0fvo1_1280.jpg

August 1401
This always amuses me, a foreign army invaded Timurland, only to be caught by a revolt. Elsewhere, I am consolidating Egypt and the Ottomans are defeated. Further north, the Georgians are besieging Imereti. I'll let them take it back, its just not worth trying to hold minor provinces, they'll consume too much manpower. I would try to vassalize Georgia, but its pointless as long as they are at war with the other hordes, who won't respect the peace treaty. Instead, I'll focus on Anatolia. I won't try to hold provinces there, but by capturing them I can help ensure that the Ottomans remain weak. I might try to hold one or two of their provinces, since I'll be able to use them to make Yaya Infantry which are much better than the default Timurid archers. I've quit using Timur as a general, the enemy isn't strong enough to bother, and I don't want to take a stability hit if he dies in battle. I've moved the national focus to Bagdad, with three advisors (mint, manpower, and taxes).
tumblr_ndcpli3Afv1r8y0fvo1_500.jpg

August 30: Timur dies! 21k rebels in Alvan!!! Fortunately, they are fighting each other...

Last edited:
January 1402
The rebels have seized Laristan. This is always embarrassing, but inevitable. In the northwest, Candar will soon submit.
tumblr_ndg0zn1kwf1r8y0fvo1_1280.jpg

January 1403
Khorasani rebels have fled Kohistan and seized Badakhshan. *sigh* Ten thousand rebels in Hormuz, nine thousand in Ajam, sixteen thousand in Khuzestan, eight thousand in Azerbaijain.... Candar will soon submit.
Aragon has apparently decided to annex Syria. The Ottomans are counterattacking through Anatolia, I should let them have their territory for now.
tumblr_ndg2qr1BI21r8y0fvo1_1280.jpg

March 1403
+3 stability, twenty-five thousand rebels in Khuzestan

April 1403
thirty-three thousand rebels in Khuzestan

May 1403
forty-one thousand rebels in Khuzestan...

January 1404
The Great Crisis ended months ago, although nobody has noticed. There are still twenty thousand rebels in Khuzestan, and another fourteen thousand in Damascus. The Ottomans have regained Anatolia.
tumblr_ndg53dBt5r1r8y0fvo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
January 1405
Progress is slow. I saw the other Timur thread where its 1893, with radios and battleships. Dunno about all that...
The next decade will be one of consolidation and recruitment.
tumblr_ndiej3HNXi1r8y0fvo1_1280.jpg

January 1406
Consolidated is delayed thanks to Delhi, Tripoli, Aragon, and the Rajputs... They are all begging for citizenship.
tumblr_ndigg08Dzk1r8y0fvo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
January 1408
As you can see, consolidation is expansion by another name. My manpower reserves are down to 5k and I want them at 150k, but that won't be happening anytime soon. In the past, I've tried to conquer as much as possible, but the revolts are outrageous, so I've learned to politik machen. I've got to reduce fighting and increase manpower. As you can see here, I've overrun the Rajputs and Delhi, the former will be vassalized, the latter is too large (I'll just destroy their economy and come back later). In the west, I'm going to vassalize Tripoli, and I've occupied Aragonese Syria. I don't want to actually annex Syria, I just want to boot the Spanish out, and then let the Syrians revolt. After they win their war of liberation, I'll rudely remind them of reality. Of course, I don't want to let them have Damascus.
tumblr_ndngsa2b3V1r8y0fvo1_1280.jpg

May 1410
After the vassalization of Tripoli and Rajputani, its time to finish off the Osmanli who have recovered from the first war. Of course, my manpower is now at negative twenty-five thousand.
tumblr_ndnhluNCtD1r8y0fvo1_1280.jpg

January 1415
Anatolia has been annexed and the Osmanli are exiled across the Bosporus. Manpower has recovered to 10k, and there are new petty states for vassalization in the east (Khorasan and Punjab). Syria has been vassalized. This map shows the extant of Tripoli, sprawling off into the unknown.
tumblr_ndnht4h8sP1r8y0fvo1_1280.jpg

January 1420
Manpower is now at 25k, with intake of 1300 a month. The army is now greatly expanded, up to 120k (an increase of fifty percent over twenty years). After taking military drill (+1 morale), I've reduced expenditures (-0.8 morale), which is allowing me to amass a treasury reserve (currently at 200 tons of gold and silver). The temptation for more reduction is strong, but the risk is also substantial. I've also begun building a number of great mosques, littering the landscape with Islam. Of course, the people would rather have great farms, but what do they know?

Here is a fun trick: within the Timurid homeland, I can't produce any infantry other than these worthless battalions composed of archers and spearmen. Sure, they are effective against rebels, but they aren't going to be so great against European musketeers. Fortunately, after annexing Anatolia, I can produce infantry there with Ottoman technology! Apparently, within Timuridland proper, everyone is obsessed with tradition and unwilling to accept western innovation. It's like some kind of giant militant Amish community. However, in the conquered lands, technology is acceptable, so I'll just send the recruits there and eventually I'll produce some artillery.

As you can see, below, I've moved south against monster Hedjaz, which has conquered the Najdi and Yemeni. Notice how I was careful to avoid annexing the Hedjazi cores, only annexing the territories they conquered. Eventually, the Nadji and Yemeni will liberate themselves, and then I'll vassalize everyone within their homelands, establishing perpetual peace! Afterward, consolidation...
tumblr_ndnisqnuxr1r8y0fvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ne74g2RRjq1r8y0fvo1_1280.jpg

Long story short, Khalil died in February of 1453. Although this was good, in that it avoided a succession crisis for many decades, it also meant that Khalil's heir died, leaving the sultanate to a nine year-old child. So there will be a second civil war within about six years, once the regency expires. Otherwise, the empire is pretty strong. 220 regiments have run amuck, with 240'000 troops in reserve. The treasury has nearly seven hundred tons of gold and silver, land tech is nearly at 5 (lol), and the Sunni faith is slowly spreading across India.

Infamy is a bit wonky with the Timurids, there is no penalty for simply annexing territory, but god forbid you vassalize a region and let the people have some modicum of independence. I maxed out at 45, and I've slowly decreased to 30. The worst is when you conquer a large nation, and then they run out of money. Suddenly, they are "broken", and cede all their territory to you, but you automatically get charged 4 infamy per territory. So you've got to be careful.

tumblr_ne74u6zkAB1r8y0fvo1_1280.jpg

I'd like to vassalize Persia, Adal, and those Indian minors, but the infamy hit is troublesome, and I don't need the prestige, so for now I just try to ignore them.

Already 1453.
Isn't it too late for Europe? How much advance in land tech do the European have? You'll need to outnumber them a lot to even have a chance to win a fight. Oups! That will hurt the manpower.
Good luck then that will be bloody.

Already 1453.
Isn't it too late for Europe? How much advance in land tech do the European have? You'll need to outnumber them a lot to even have a chance to win a fight. Oups! That will hurt the manpower.
Good luck then that will be bloody.

European land tech isn't too much higher, Moscow is like a 7 I think. I'm able to defeat them, but right now I'm rethinking my overall strategy and (once again) considering starting over. I'm wondering if I wouldnt' be better off going with something other than Military Drill, maybe Battlefield Commissions? And I'm wondering if I could replace Temples with Barracks... hard decisions, really. The big reason for this crisis is that I kind of woke up one day in 1475 and realized I had 3000 gold... that's way too much, there has to be a way to turn that into military strength. I've heard discipline isn't so great, but maybe that's what I need more of. I also spent 20 years converting all my eastern archers to Ottoman Azab infantry, and then I consider what a waste of manpower that was deleting at least 50-60'000 manpower. With so much money, I might as well have kept them, even if they are a waste of money.

If you have the money, why not recruit charge cav from the mamluk provs and go 100% cavalry with your offensive stacks? Also I think MD was the right pick. You should have enough army tradition anyways. Also have you thought about forming Mughals?

why not recruit charge cav from the mamluk provs and go 100% cavalry with your offensive stacks? Also have you thought about forming Mughals?

I have thought about going 100% cavalry? Is that a good idea? I thought there was a penalty or something? You are right about those charge cavalry, didn't notice them before, but are they better than Azab infantry?

Mughals is a no go, I want the world to be nomadic. M

ilitary drill seems like such a waste, I keep lowering my maintenance, because I'm just not needing the morale. I suppose it will help against the Europeans, but then again not so much, because by the time I fight them they are getting ahead with firepower anyways. But if I had a lot of better generals, wouldn't that reduce casualties and keep manpower high?

Last edited:
I have thought about going 100% cavalry? Is that a good idea? I thought there was a penalty or something? You are right about those charge cavalry, didn't notice them before, but are they better than Azab infantry?

ilitary drill seems like such a waste, I keep lowering my maintenance, because I'm just not needing the morale. I suppose it will help against the Europeans, but then again not so much, because by the time I fight them they are getting ahead with firepower anyways. But if I had a lot of better generals, wouldn't that reduce casualties and keep manpower high?
Charge cav is better than azabs if you can affford it. You lose the combined arms bonus if you don't have 1 inf in every stack, but it's not that big. Early game charge cav shock just decimates.

If military drill is a waste, you are not fighting enough, explaining the low army trad as well :)

If military drill is a waste, you are not fighting enough, explaining the low army trad as well :)

Well, manpower is the limiting factor slowing me down.

I thought I had to have no more than 1 cavalry for 1 infantry, but Paradox isn't always clear. Don't cavalry get some kind of additional shock bonus in battle? I know I read that somewhere, but can't remember the details.

I'm thinking maybe I should stop vassalizing people. The infamy drives up stability cost, so I might as well just annex them. Besides, I'll get more manpower, although I'll spend most of it fighting rebels, it should add up once I can core the provinces. For example, if I annex Mus instead of vassalizing it, I'll get an extra 100 manpower a year. Not much, but equivalent to two barracks.

Well, me think he is fighting a lot, but rebels most of the time. No military tradition then, but a huge loss in manpower. :p

Maybe he moved the wrong way. I would rather have vassalized only some big Indian states like Rajputana and Dehli (take the COT in Kutch though) to create a buffer, same with Mameluke, north Africa isn't worth the fight for the moment, then march through Europe. Once half Europe submitted I'll doubt manpower will ever be a problem anymore.

Well, I've gone and done it again, and started over from the beginning.

Previously, I had been trying to vassalize, but the infamy hit to stability is pretty severe, so I might as well annex them and take the extra manpower/income. Not sure which is mathematically better, but I guess outright annexation is more hordish. I also decided to build barracks instead of temples, as I need the manpower and the temples don't do much for stability.

Long story short: defeated Mamluks, defeated Ottomans, conquered India -- that's pretty standard. In the previous game I swept through southeast Asia, but this time tried to help the Golden Horde by invading Poland. They are idiots though and didn't do anything, so I had to invade Prussia in order to defend Poland. This is probably better anyways as it allows me to target Europe, but I would have preferred to consolidate in Hungary.

Still not sure this is going to be possible, and I'm probably moving slower than before because I'm annexing everything, but maybe that will give me more strength later on. I'm pondering whether its worth invading the other hordes and stealing their trade centers.

Anyways, here is the map in 1513, after the fourth succession war:

tumblr_nhfe18TMZt1r8y0fvo1_1280.jpg

It looks like Burgundy is going to dominate France. Perhaps I had some role in this, by defeating the Mamluks/Ottomans I probably helped Spain. Georgia has survived as a vassal of the Golden Horde, and the vassalized Qara Koyonlu have been allowed a province along the Aral so that I can claim a 'sphere of influence'. I'm currently at war with Hungary, so I'll probably reduce them, but I have to be careful not to develop a border with mean ol Austria. Meanwhile, I'll probably take southeast Asia. Maybe I should boot Spain out of Africa before they get much stronger?

Last edited: