• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I admire your drive to keep things fresh, trying to hard could mean that Ulm loses his authenticity.

My main principle is to avoid copying the old story and simply redoing what I did. In essence, I have decided not to re-read my old AAR, as to avoid being guided by it (either to avoid it or not).

I do recall part of its success was EU3's oddities. Particularly when I got Bavaria through spies, it really took off. Because of EU4's lack of strangeness (or at least lesser strangeness), I am trying to go other ways.

It's great, i just miss the "flag-life of other countries" and the Ferrara rivalry in the last chapters :p

I'll admit, duckie has replaced some of that. But I intend to portray more of the others. I don't think I will redo the old "What else is going on?" chapters of the original AAR, but rather portray other countries' stories a bit more intertwined with Ulm's story.

I learnt a lot from doing AARs for non-EU games. Their different focus and game mechanics forced me to think differently about the approach. Part of that experience is certainly going to come in handy for this AAR.

Less talk, more Ulm!

While it may not be as absurd as the old one, I still find it very entertaining and i can't wait to read more about Ulm's progress. Just do stupid things and humor will ensue. Capture a French baroness that secretly is the concubine of the King of France? Now, that would bring more players on the field and liven things up a bit.

Oh, you can't do that? Shame.

Can I ask a blunt question to any readers who have read the original AAR. How does this AAR compare? I worry about simply relying on the success of the old AAR for this one, and want to make this AAR different yet more of what made the old one popular.

The simple fact that you obviously care enough to ask this question is great. Ulm is a fantastic little character and while there are different things to love about each story, that's what makes it great. I am happy when little things that I loved before show up again but you are not just repeating the same story.

"But how will they communicate?" - I love the delayed payoff on that punchline.

Bad news, no one!

I am going on holiday for 10 days. There will be no Ulm updates in those days. But I will return with more chapters. Fortunately, there are many other great AARs to enjoy.

Subscribed!

To answer Svip's question: As other poeple has said, partly the change is due to the nature of the game. It seems like the game forces you into a less "childish" role, when childish behaviour was one of the defining features of the original aar's characters. Now it seems like Ulm&Co. are forced into more "grown up" conduct -like say, the difference between a seven years old and a eleven years old? :p- Now, the humor, while still "childish" and fresh is more... elaborate, I think. Which is good: it is a sign that the aar is evolving, innovating, even. So I'd say you don'y need to be afraid.

Maybe he'll go to Ulm and learn about their culture.

Reactions:
Just got up to date with this. Hilarious! I love it.

I got a message from Johan that you were slacking at the office, and he is expecting you to code extra hard this Easter. Also, podcat laughed at line 523. You know where.

I don't know about you but I've already resorted to cannibalism.

I will highly discourage anyone to consume my AAR. It is not edible and not a replacement for normal foods. If you consume my AAR in the hope that you will be fed, it is likely that you might die from hunger.

Maybe he'll go to Ulm and learn about their culture.

Unfortunately not. I am going to other places not Ulm. But I have been to Ulm years ago. It had a nice church.

Dealing with Ulm can be tiresome, so i understand the vacation is needed. Take Duckie with you, it needs some rest too! :D

Subscribed with duckie as my favourite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.