• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Err... it's in HoI3 already, though not as the capital of Germany for some weird reason :p

Ulm's not the capital of Germany, if you understand me...
Ulm's the capital of the mighty Imperium Ulmae.
(feel free to correct my poorest Latin).

It all depends on what declension Ulm is. If it's first declension then you're right, but if it's second it's Ulmi, and if it's third it's Ulmis.
And of course, noun gender matters greatly. "Ulmer" wasn't taken into account in the original Latin.
I would personally believe it to be 3rd Declension masculine, and therefore declined like Vox, Vocis. The fact that it ends in M is what opinionates me so.

So I bet you are thinking, 'I wished that jerk a happy birthday, where is my thank you note?' Well, here it is!

Delayed for a reason. Like any Frenchie will tell you, to wish one happy birthday before the event is considered bad luck (this is just an excuse for French people forgetting, though), but I consider to thank people for their blessings before the actual birthday to be bad manners! It's like it's just a charade (which it is[1])!

But I thank you all for your kind wishes. So far it has been rather uneventful, however. I mean, it is 1:48 in the morning.

I'm subbing the CRAP out of this thread.

Also, merry birthday, hope you're going to witness the Köln-Bayern game too.

Victory! I finally got an Estonian to follow a thread of mine. I keep trying to get Estonians to like me, but I seem hard pressed. I want to learn their language and more about their culture, but maybe I am being too direct? Is because I am Danish? Still mad about Valdemar II? I am not like him at all!

I know how to greet, say good night and even call someone a jerk in Estonian! Though, not useful phrases like 'how are you?' or 'where is the toilet?' or 'can you bring me some of that fine Estonian vodka I've heard so much about?'

I mean just look at my location on the left!

[1] I mean, come on, Solar Calendars? Are we still at that point?!

It all depends on what declension Ulm is. If it's first declension then you're right, but if it's second it's Ulmi, and if it's third it's Ulmis.
And of course, noun gender matters greatly. "Ulmer" wasn't taken into account in the original Latin.
I would personally believe it to be 3rd Declension masculine, and therefore declined like Vox, Vocis. The fact that it ends in M is what opinionates me so.
It was Ulma in Latin, if it makes any clear.

So I bet you are thinking, 'I wished that jerk a happy birthday, where is my thank you note?' Well, here it is!

Delayed for a reason. Like any Frenchie will tell you, to wish one happy birthday before the event is considered bad luck (this is just an excuse for French people forgetting, though), but I consider to thank people for their blessings before the actual birthday to be bad manners! It's like it's just a charade (which it is[1])!

But I thank you all for your kind wishes. So far it has been rather uneventful, however. I mean, it is 1:48 in the morning.

Victory! I finally got an Estonian to follow a thread of mine. I keep trying to get Estonians to like me, but I seem hard pressed. I want to learn their language and more about their culture, but maybe I am being too direct? Is because I am Danish? Still mad about Valdemar II? I am not like him at all!

I know how to greet, say good night and even call someone a jerk in Estonian! Though, not useful phrases like 'how are you?' or 'where is the toilet?' or 'can you bring me some of that fine Estonian vodka I've heard so much about?'

I mean just look at my location on the left!

[1] I mean, come on, Solar Calendars? Are we still at that point?!
Hell yeah! :rofl:

Last edited:
So it's estonian? Gee, I thought it was finnish. But at least I got it cleared up if you're a dane too or not. I kind of thought you were a finnish person living in Denmark. I was even woindering how you got in with those weird immigration laws we have in effect...

victory! I finally got an estonian to follow a thread of mine. I keep trying to get estonians to like me, but i seem hard pressed. I want to learn their language and more about their culture, but maybe i am being too direct? Is because i am danish? Still mad about valdemar ii? I am not like him at all!

I know how to greet, say good night and even call someone a jerk in estonian! Though, not useful phrases like 'how are you?' or 'where is the toilet?' or 'can you bring me some of that fine estonian vodka i've heard so much about?'

i mean just look at my location on the left!
NO AMOUNT OF APOLOGIES WILL NEGATE THE FACT THAT YOU GUYS STOLE YOUR FLAG FROM TALLINN (or Lyndanise, as you'd call it)

You don't want to drink estonian vodka though, I don't think even we drink it. We just give it to finns and russians because their livers have evolved to the point where modern science will just go "Screw you, you jerk, why would you do this!?". Hell, we own the Guiness record for the strongest alcohol ever made, a 98% ABV vodka in the old republic days. If you think "holy hell, how wasn't that illegal", well... there was a state monopoly on booze in those times.

In that case it is the Imperium Ulmae, as it is first declension genitive singular.
Oh, so it means I was right. Oh my.
Actually it is Hulma. They just shortened it too much with time.
Laziness is the engine of progress, isn't it?
"Ah, Ulma mater must come from it" thought I. Then I remembered the real word. :p
Indeed. :D

To go back on topic: Glory for Ulm and the mighty Imperium Ulmae!
Svip, would you consider to rename your realm? :p

People say that our economic growth (and relative resistance to the recession) is because of our low debt and sensible fiscal policy. Me, I like to think it's because of the wads of booze money that floats into Tallinn every day from Helsinki.

People say that our economic growth (and relative resistance to the recession) is because of our low debt and sensible fiscal policy. Me, I like to think it's because of the wads of booze money that floats into Tallinn every day from Helsinki.

Heehee. :D

Finns aren't that bad, are they? *Looks out of window* Forget I said anything. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.