• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(12680)

I'm Lazy.
Dec 12, 2002
Visit site
Definitely NotGibbon's The Decline and Rebirth of the Roman Empire

map.gif

THE WHAT:

One of those impulse AARs. I was working on my Kings and Queens of Sweden update when I felt the urge to do something else with my EU2. I didn't feel like doing something really taxing, so I though of doing a quick, simple AAR in the "First I did that and then that and in the year so-and-so I got a new Monarch" etc. style. If you want deep characters and good dialogue I suggest you find yourself another AAR (if you can settle for shallow characters and cheap dialogue I would suggest my own Sweden AAR :D ).

THE HOW:

Simple as pie, I began with the Papal States (they start out with Rome, and as the Popes have latin names I wouldn't have to make up a new list of Monarchs. Did I mention I really didn't want to do anything too taxing?) and made an event which changed my name to "The Roman Empire", my colour to that lovely Imperial Purple, and gave myself french, iberian and greek cultures (in addtion to the italian I already had), and finally gave myself cores on all of the Roman Empire at its height. Did I mention that I was feeling REALLY lazy at the time?

THE WHY SHOULD I WANT TO READ AN AAR WHERE YOU HAVE GIVEN YOURSELF SO MANY UNFAIR ADVANTAGES? AND WITH NO STORY TO CARRY IT ALL UP IT'S...

Well, no, there isn't really any compelling reason to read this AAR... But I'm a lazy git and I want to write something AAR-like without having to spend a lot of time fleshing out my characters or working out my next strategic conquest.

ALSO: There'll be graphics a'plenty!

Last edited:
MINOR NOTES FOR THOSE WHO CARE:

GAME:
EU2 1,07 whichever Beta patch came before they introduced that Dancing CoT crazyness... 11th May methinks.

SCENARIO:
Vanilla Grand Campaign with my special "Roman Empire For Dummies" events, as pictured below.

romevent1.txt

Wouldn't really be much of an AAR if I didn't...

romevent2.txt

Yup, that's a LOT of cores! I actually had to split it up over two events...

UPDATE STRUCTURE:
One update per Pope-Emperor. No characterization or dialogues or suchlike, I simply write what I play. Also, since this AAR is being played at the same time as it is being written (unlike my Swedish AAR) you are most welcome to offer your advice. OK, I have actually played till 1475, but once I get there you are welcome to advice my further advances. :)

CHEATS, RELOADS, ETC:
Jeez! I already gave myself three new cultures and cores on half of Europe!! I won't need cheats to make this a cakewalk. :D

OTHER NOTES:
I will call all countries by whichever tribe/people lived there in Roman times, so Toscana becomes the Etruscians, for example. I will note which country I'm refering inside brackets [like this]. Also please note that I will use a wild mix of different peoples which fough the Romans at different times for variety.

Last edited:
Narrative or not - this sounds very nice, indeed. I shall be following and will someday also catch up on your Swedish tale (he says with an embarrassed look.)

Much luck!

@King Yngvar: Really? I was worried that people would be turned off by what a cakewalk it would be, what with the tons of cores and such. I'm glad that you are interested! :)

@coz1: Thanks, and make sure to catch up with Sweden, it's actually got dialogue* you know! :eek:

@Yoghurt: Maybe I'll get the events up for d/l sometime... And I don't think we'll need to burn Carthago down completely this time. We did a good enough job last time, so a simple annexation should be well enough indeed. ;)

Also, I just remembered another reason to bother to read this AAR:
It's the only chance to see the Super-Special Made By Me Roman Field Standard Thingy EU2 Flag:

flag_U00.txt

It actually looks fairly good over the armies, though a bit odd when attached to a fleet. :D

* Not very good dialogue of course, but still, DIALOGUE! :eek:

Give me a few days and I will surely catch up on it. ;)

As for the cakewalk thing - we enjoy blood and conquest, however it's form, just as much as fine prose and narrative. Have no fear! :D

Sounds like a funny cakewalk, anti_strunt! :rofl:

Great idea, the title made me check this AAR and I am glad that I bothered :)

Feel free to use the graphic as you like. :) First update coming later today...

Pope-Emperor Martinus V, 1419-1431
The Busy Years

pope0206.jpg

Pope Martinus V had been a pretty good Pope since he took the job in 1417, ending the Great Schism. That is, until the 10th of January 1419 when some immigrant janitors were cleaning the floors of the Papal Palace. Martinus was running at some speed to reach an important appointment in time, but a particularly slippery piece of floor got in the way, and when he woke up it was quite obvious that he had gone mad...

OK, that's all the introduction you get. On the 10th my custom events (as pictured above) triggers and the reconquest can begin!

roman2.jpg

Imperial Legionaries demonstrate their brand new uniforms for awed Imperial Crowds.

Well, actually nothing happens yet. I centralize a bit and a lot of wars are declared between the AIs. But I do use my superior Imperial Diplomatic Corps to enter an alliance with the northern Etruscan state of Populonia [Tuscany] and some Greek city states [Athens], which brings me into a nice little war between them and the Etruscans of Perusia [Siena]. I invade the province of Siena and lay siege, as the Perusians are busy invading Firenze.

pic1420.txt

Expansive Lombardians.

Meanwhile the Lombardians [Milan] have invaded yet another Etrusan city, by the name of Arretium [Modena]. In May 1420 they subdue them completely, and in September I do the same to Perusia. My first conquest! A month later the dastardly Lombardians invade the peaceful Greek colony of Adria [Mantua], which they annex after only a month of war.

In August 1421 my erstwhile Populonian allies decides to make war upon the expansionistic Lombardians and their Ligurian [Genoese] and Transalpine Gaul[Savoyard] allies. The Lombardian hordes are crushed trying to invade Romagna and I respond by invading Lombardia and covering Mantua while my allies occupy Emilia, greatly aided by foreign armies also deciding that they have a grudge against Lombardians.

By July 1422 the Populonians make peace, giving Mantua to me and Emilia to themselves. Understanding that the Lombardians won't last a month with no army and half of Europe against them, I do something rare and break our truce to save the poor bastards. By February 1423 I capture Lombardia for a second time and annex them.

pic1423.txt

How thoughtful!

In the middle of the Second Lombard War, my Greek allies declare war on Epirus [Albania] who in turn calls for the assistance of the Campanians [Naples]. My Etruscan friends prove their usefulness by single-handedly invading Naples while the Greeks land in Apulia. After that not much happens for several years.

In March 1425 the Greeks finally annex Epirus. In May Apulia falls and is also given to the Greeks. Are they trying to create some empire of their own, perhaps? In any case I see that the Ligurians are trying to invade Campania too, so another truce-breach is unfortunately in order...

After that it's time to rebuild. I increase centralization further in 1429, and in August the same year those dastardly false Romans in Byzantium are finally conquered by the Seleucid Empire [Ottoman Empire]! One less contender to the Imperial Glory...

But soon afterwards, on the 20th of February 1431, the first Pope-Emperor, Martinus V, dies. During his 12 year reign I have retaken 4 more provinces (Emilia, Lombardia, Mantua, Naples) and annexed 3 states and gained two allies. Time to wait and let the BB drop...

pic1431.txt

Europe at the end of Martinus V's reign.

Last edited:
First update, please tell me if the use of various olde names is confusing and I'll stop. :) Also, please have patience with my Geocities-hosted images...

You should use either old or new. If you use the former it would certainly give a better feel to your aar, although I personally might have hard time figuring out the cities. When it comes to provinces, I am doing just fine though.

Good idea. Though I'm having a problem with red X's (only Martinus V and the legionarries pictures are showing to me)