• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fiftypence

Debased coinage
35 Badges
Aug 19, 2004
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • For The Glory
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
Hello all, welcome to this AAR! As you may have guessed, I will be playing the Uzbek Kaganate in the 1419 scenario.

If you have come here expecting something fancy then I apologise, as this will be a simple AAR focused on gameplay rather than story. To be honest the reason for this is that I want something easy to write, but hopefully fairly entertaining to read. I also apologise if my gameplay isn't very good, which it probably won't be. I've had this game pretty much since it came out and I still suck at it *sigh*.

Updates will come in 10 year installments, meaning forty updates in total.

Ghengis Who?? - An Uzbek AAR

Update 1: 1419 - 1428

Consider for a moment the Uzbek Kaganate. It is poor and backward, and on January 1st I am making -0.7 ducats with the treasury slider set to full. First thing I do is disband half my 15,000 cavalry army and set military maintenance to 50%. There, I am making a profit. Excellent!

January 3rd 1419: Time to look at DP sliders. Not too promising. I decide to move towards centralisation for the lower tech costs, and believe me at the moment they are HIGH. I am due to reach trade and infrastructure tech 1 in 1445.

uzb3.jpg

My DP sliders. Aargh, my eyes, it burns, it burns!!! Seriously, that is not good.

August 2nd 1419: I decide to look at my neighbours, which, admittedly, is probably a good idea. I need some sort of alliance. To the south lie the Timurids, who are hostile, so they are out of the question. Northern neighbours include Nogai, who have six provinces and Khazah Horde, with four. I decide that when I get a diplomat I will go for the Khazaks. Why? Because with four provinces I have more chance of vassalising and diploannexing them than Nogai, seeing as I myself have only six provinces at the moment. However, they ask me first, and I accept.

October 1st 1419: Civil war in Timurid Empire. Ha ha ha (laughs and points).

March 6th 1420:I enter into a royal marriage with the Khazaks.

December 10th 1420: Rush of merchants. A particularly useless event, seeing as I am still on trade tech 0. D'oh!

February 21st 1422: I improve relations with Khazaks by sending them a Valentine's card. They are impressed, despite it being a week late. It must be love!! (We now have +183 relations).

February 1st 1423: Relations have since risen to +200, so I pop the question. Khazak Horde, would you do me the honour of being my vassal? No? Aw darn!

August 30th 1423: Boundary dispute with Nogia. I press the issue, sensing the possiblity of expansion. I try to declare war, but realise I have no diplomats. Very very annoying.

February 1st 1424: Ah, the February diplomat arrives, and his mission is to deliver a declaration of war to Nogai. The Khazaks join the party.

uzb2.jpg

The plan, as you can see from this badly drawn map, is to besiege Ust urt first, while sending a smaller army up through Nogai territory to pillage. My forces lay siege to Ust Urt while the bulk of the Nogaionian army heads for sunny Aralsk.

August 30th 1424: Nogai take Aralsk. My relief force decides not to holiday in Aralsk after all, and instead help the siege in Ust Urt.

September 11th 1424: We take Ust Urt. Or at least, that's what I had thought... Our army heads for Emba, Nogai's capital.

January 1st 1425: A new monarch! Abu'L Khayr now rules. He's a bit shit.

March 29th 1425: A crucial turning point which decisively swings the war in our favour, with my 12,000 army in Emba defeating 14,000 Nogais in a pitched battle. However, the siege is progressing slowly.

May 7th 1425: Nogai offer 160 ducats for peace. Ooh no, I want land!

July 2nd 1425: Nogai accepts peace, handing over Ust Urt to... Khazak Horde?!? Bugger bugger bugger! See, I said I wasn't very good at this game!

uzb1.jpg

August 7th 1425: New land claimed in Karabogaz.

September 2nd 1425: Khazaks reject vassalisatin. Again.

September 12th 1426: I improve relations with the Khazaks, sending them a really groovy lighter. They like it!

September 1st 1427: Khazaks reject vassalisation offer. Start your Khazak bashing... now!

September 1st 1428: I enter into a royal marriage with Golden Horde, mainly because I am sick of those bloody Khazaks!

Well, in the first ten years I have fought and won a war, gaining one province for the alliance. The crucial event, the collapse of the Timurid Empire, is yet to come. Otherwise, Uzbek Kaganate is still as poor as in 1419. *sigh*.

Last edited:
I will try and update this regularly, although my top priority is my Orkney AAR for CK. Those of you who have read my two Nubia AAR for CK should be familiar with the style ;)

Ah Uzbek - one of my favourite countries in EU2 for some unfathomable reason.

Have you thought about heading north into Golden Horde territory? Eventually, youre going to have to deal with the Russians...

I agree go North and plunder the Golden Horde! A few miss-steps in your first ten years but nothing you can't recover from. Just stay away from Crimea! ;)

Joe

Uzbeckistan---the memories of my first AAR! I hope you like the long list of lovely leaders. Actually, I had a lot of fun playing them and hope you do too!

Sorry about Ust-Urt. :) But if you take a long look at Nogai, it's now shaped like a snake...one territory wide up until the end. That means you can start another war (when you're ready) and just go province by province and destroy them all. It'll probably be a long war, but I think you can take a lot of territory and vassalize them in one more pitched battle.

I'm not sure if you want the Khazaks to come. Their extra armies will speed the war somewhat, but you don't want them getting more land...

Mike von Bek: At the moment the south seems more promising; the Timurid Empire will implode soon, and I stand a good chance of having a number of provinces defect to me (useless, of course, if Persia forms). Also, I have a CB on the Timurids, which I may make use of.

Storey: Well, I did say that I suck at this game. ;) Stay away from Crimea!?! Never! :mad: :D

Stroph1: Thanks! I should probably read your AAR for tips on how to play Uzbek successfully. :)

Catknight: The problem with Nogai is that they are now allied with the Golden Horde and Sibir. Hopefully that alliance will fall apart when the GH are attacked by Muscowy.

Fiftypence said:
I will try and update this regularly, although my top priority is my Orkney AAR for CK. Those of you who have read my two Nubia AAR for CK should be familiar with the style ;)

CK is ok, but not better than EU2

i say you should work on this one... :D

Hehe, too bad the Khazaks cheated you out of Ust Urt -- well no, not really. :D All those provinces are just about worthless anyway. Go south against the Timurids. Don't wait for the breakup event; because so many of their provinces are unfortified, they are easy pickings right from the start. Hit them hard and you can, over time, gain Isfahan and the gateway to India. Move north, in contrast, and you get desert sheepland and a border with the Russians. :wacko:

The Khanates are tough to play but it's a real accomplishment when you turn one of them into a superpower. Good luck.

Man, why is everyone always hating on Oman? Oman 4 eva!

Well, they are (at the start) rich, weak, and the "other" branch of Islam so Uzbek has a CB against them....

If they do get they act together and heavily fortify their cities (see my AAR) they are all but impossible to take.

;)

jwolf said:
Move north, in contrast, and you get desert sheepland and a border with the Russians. :wacko:

Ah, but the satisfaction of knowing you are the greatest wool producer of the world!

Seriously now, the others are right... go south! :D

Ghengis Who?? - An Uzbek AAR

Update 2: 1429 - 1438

January 4th 1429: It's slider time once again, and I move one place towards centralisation, as it lowers tech costs but does not effect colonists or missionaries (not that I have much use for them just yet).

November 20th 1429: I pluck up the courage and take a dive, declaring war on the Timurids. I notice that they are currently invloved in two wars, againsts the Chagatai Khanate and Gujarat, so now seems like an ideal time to invade.

May 28th 1430: We take Elbruz with a small army while my main force besieges the capital Samarkand. No sign of a Timurid army yet, which is good, as they start with a leader.

June 24th 1430: Meched taken. It's an undefended province with a population of 600, so its not too impressive.

August 24th 1430: Ak Koyunlu ask for military access. Can't see the harm.

December 11th 1430: Samarkand at last falls, giving us masses of exploration (as well as formerly hidden undefended Timurid provinces). I do a little dance, twist my ankle and sit down in pain. But it's worth it! Ow, ow, actually, you know, it's really not. Ow.

January 7th 1431: I send my armies off to take as many defenceless provinces as possible, starting with Khorasan.

January 21st 1431: Scandal at the court! Something to do with a Khazak and a sheep. Relations with our useless ally plummet, and I have the feeling I will be ditching them in the near future. You know, they have a great big army just sitting there in Ust Urt while I'm slaving away doing all the work! I thinks its a case of Uzbeks being from Venus and Khazaks from Mars, I really do!

February 1st 1431: We reach level 1 in everything! Moving that slider has certainly paid off!

June 8th 1431: The evil Timurids finally fold:

uzb6.jpg

Nice!

uzb5.jpg

The situation after the first Uzbek-Timurid War.

June 1st 1432: Tabaristan defects to Qara Koyunlu. Who have two provinces. And no army. I think you know what's coming...

June 22nd 1432: Royal marriage with Ak Koyunlu. No, I was talking about...

July 18th 1432: The Qara Koyunlu recieve a declaration of war from Uzbek. The Khazak Horde dishonour the alliance, and good riddance I say! I swiftly move in to besiege both their provinces (the other being Tabriz). They have no army to speak of.

July 29th 1433: Tabaristan captured, on the same day as an exceptional year happens. I promote tax collectors in my most populace provinces. The -2 inflation is welcome, also.

August 9th 1433: Tabriz falls, and Qara Koyunlu hand over Tabristan and agree to become my vassals. Yay! Tabaristan has a population of 20,000 and produces chinaware, so is a valuable province, especially to poor sheepherding Uzbeks!

October 5th 1433: Ak Koyunlu invite me to an alliance along with Dulkadir, The Kaliphate and the Ottoman Empire. I can hardly refuse, can I? Although I think the Ak Koyunlu just like me for beating up the Qara.

January 22nd 1435: I go on a charm offensive, managing to get a royal marriage with Chagatai Khanate. Not long after they agree to share exploration, meaning that along with Ak Koyunlu's knowledge (which I got earlier) I now know quite a bit about the world.

July 7th 1436: Ak Koyunlu declares war on the Timurids. I eagerly join, hoping to get my hands on Kirgisistan and Tadjikistan (so as to block possible Chagatai expansion). My armies head straight for those undefended provinces, and after a few months a huge Ottoman army starts besieging Samarkand. The war is fairly easy.

April 19th 1437: The Timurids agree to hand over those two provinces I wanted:

uzb4.jpg

I have doubled the number of provinces I own, from 6 to 12. Not bad going.

July 12th 1437: The Khazak Horde harrasses my merchants by throwing sheep at them. I escalate the complaint, but don't really fancy a war with them so I do not act.

October 5th 1437: Ak Koyunlu invites us into a vassalisation. WTF!?! I own four more provinces than them! I decline, obviously.

January 16th 1438: I enter into a royal marriage with the Ottomans, who incidently still have a massive army in Samarkand despite the war ending several years ago. It's a funny old world!

I was very pleased with this turn, managing to significantly expand my realm. My only real enemies, the Timurids, are weak, and I have managed to get into a position where hopefully most of the defections will be to me. I may need one more war to ensure this, in which I will try to take Isfahan.

Last edited:
Fiftypence said:
December 11th 1430: Samarkand at last falls, giving us masses of exploration (as well as formerly hidden undefended Timurid provinces). I do a little dance, twist my ankle and sit down in pain. But it's worth it! Ow, ow, actually, you know, it's really not. Ow.

This is why your tech sped up; you now know enough nations so that the isolation penalty doesn't apply. Good going.

Fiftypence said:
Although I think the Ak Koyunlu just like me for beating up the Qara.

Maybe. Reminds me of the "SHEEP FIGHT" bit in my short-lived Mameluk AAR.

Great work. Remember not to expand to quickly and get to high bb. Even if you don't get bb-wars, your neighbours may still be more inclined to go to war with you, and that is not fun. And conquer Oman.

the_shy_kid: Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

Grundius: Ha, I wish!

Lofman: Well, as of 1438 my reputation was only slightly tarnished, so people still like me.

Update coming up!

Last edited: