Getting Zroni as machine empire... urgh

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Yuht aren't really all that much to write home about in my book.

But I just don't understand why people dislike the Zroni. It's just pretty much universally extremely good for any empire with the economic boost. Need an extra 50000 alloys on no notice to support an emergency fleet build up for an unexpected war on an ally? No problem if you have that giant Zro stockpile... even the Cybrex War-Forge, which I agree is pretty good & especially so with the recent rework of it, takes a lot longer to produce zounds of alloys than just having a huge stockpile of a resource to trade (with virtually no downside to you!) to practically every other AI empire for anything you need.

The Yuht aren't really all that much to write home about in my book.

But I just don't understand why people dislike the Zroni. It's just pretty much universally extremely good for any empire with the economic boost. Need an extra 50000 alloys on no notice to support an emergency fleet build up for an unexpected war on an ally? No problem if you have that giant Zro stockpile... even the Cybrex War-Forge, which I agree is pretty good & especially so with the recent rework of it, takes a lot longer to produce zounds of alloys than just having a huge stockpile of a resource to trade (with virtually no downside to you!) to practically every other AI empire for anything you need.
i don't think any precursor is "bad" anymore, credit to the devs on buffing the less interesting ones. i just really love getting something shiny like a ringworld or an ecumenopolis

• 1Like
Reactions:
They're all at the very least definitely better than nothing. At least you get a sizable Exotic Gas income with the Yuht if you build a habitat over their gas giant, and the initial resource cache has been desperately needed by my empire on a few occasions. Some are more universally dramatically game-changing than others, though.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I would love a change to Precursors that lets you have the choice between two Precursors to investigate. I hate restarting a game every time I get a crap draw on this; this change would at least double your chances of something useful to your empire.

They could also make most of them useful to start, though I am not opposed to having ones that are great for some builds and bad/poorly themed for others like Zroni and Cybrex. As long as we have a choice.
This seems reasonable to me, but I'm not sure it would be easy to implement due to the way the game determines which precursor you find: which one is available in each system is determined at game start. A choice would be possible in systems that happened to be flagged for two different precursors, but you'd otherwise need to determine which other precursor has nearby systems. If the nearest different precursor is 10 jumps away on the other side of some marauders you may end up with the game offering you an option which you don't know is useless.

Maybe you could instead allow players to find different precursor anomalies until they lock in the choice somehow? That would make it a gamble - you can delay starting a precursor in the hope of finding another one you like better, but there's no guarantee you'll get another choice and in the meantime you're delaying the option you do have.

If you are playing with 7 human players isn't it already a race to find the good ones? Having a choice doesn't really affect that.
It actually adds some strategy! Since which precursor you can find in a system is determined by system flags which appear in clumps, there are good odds that a nearby empire surveying the same area as you was offered the same choice. Which means that you can avoid the need to race them if you can guess which one they chose and take the other option. If you don't think you can win the race, taking the worse option and getting something is better than trying for the preferable one and getting nothing! And allied empires would be able to coordinate, of course.

Reactions:
It actually adds some strategy! Since which precursor you can find in a system is determined by system flags which appear in clumps, there are good odds that a nearby empire surveying the same area as you was offered the same choice. Which means that you can avoid the need to race them if you can guess which one they chose and take the other option. If you don't think you can win the race, taking the worse option and getting something is better than trying for the preferable one and getting nothing! And allied empires would be able to coordinate, of course.
i would not enjoy this at all, it would feel very bad. i prefer the current system, maybe some of the lesser precursors deserve even more buffs. like maybe the zroni world can be a shrouded gaia world? :p maybe the Yuht built a ruined habitat you can restore over their shattered homeworld and it has some special things about it that are different from other habitats? i just think all precursors should be as exciting as finding a shattered ring or a relic world.

being able to choose would take some of the fun away, even if the implementation didn't risk being even less fun, which it does imo

Little update

After getting rekt in my previous game (ME without alloy optimization = being rekt) I went for my aquatic spiritualists.

And guess what - Zroni again :oops:

What are the odds of getting that in a row?