• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xgstriker

Corporal
1 Badges
Apr 9, 2006
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
My science ship just completed scanning a planet. Story chain, Mass Extinction: Frozen.
I won't re-type it all here but basically it concludes with saying that anyone that doesn't believe in man-made global warming is stupid.
The point of this topic is NOT to talk about if you believe in, to discredit, or preach for man-made global warming.
Instead of calling people stupid for not believing what you think why not just end the comment with a possible "industrial accident". That puts in the possibility of a race doing it to themselves without taking a stance in today's politics and calling the other side stupid.

• 4Haha
Reactions:
I disagree, science fiction has always been a vehicle for examining real life politics

Reactions:
My science ship just completed scanning a planet. Story chain, Mass Extinction: Frozen.
I won't re-type it all here but basically it concludes with saying that anyone that doesn't believe in man-made global warming is stupid.
The point of this topic is NOT to talk about if you believe in, to discredit, or preach for man-made global warming.
Instead of calling people stupid for not believing what you think why not just end the comment with a possible "industrial accident". That puts in the possibility of a race doing it to themselves without taking a stance in today's politics and calling the other side stupid.

Presumably, whilst they're at it, they should also be removing all references to gravity, and declaring that wormholes work by some kind of inexplicable magic. After all, we wouldn't want to include actual science in the game, or take a stance on the gravity vs. intelligent falling "controversy"....

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I agree! We also need to take the round earth politics out of the game. Instead of calling everyone who doesn't believe in the earth being round stupid, we should have a mix of round and flat planets. I'm ashamed to be the Game Director for a game that has been so shamefully politicized in the hotly controversial shape of the earth debate.

Sarcasm aside: Man-made climate change is not politics, it's science. Science in a science fiction game. Deal with it.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I agree! We also need to take the round earth politics out of the game. Instead of calling everyone who doesn't believe in the earth being round stupid, we should have a mix of round and flat planets. I'm ashamed to be the Game Director for a game that has been so shamefully politicized in the hotly controversial shape of the earth debate.

Sarcasm aside: Man-made climate change is not politics, it's science. Science in a science fiction game. Deal with it.
But Wiz, since Earth is, of course, round, does that not mean that all of our ideas, sciences, and politics fall into category of "round earth politics."

As such, I propose we ban all written languages from the game until we can find a flat earth to serve as a counterpoint to our biased beliefs in an interest of equality and inclusiveness.

Reactions:
As an additional point, even if you believe that man-made climate change is not occurring on this planet (despite all of the evidence to the contrary), I think it is self-evidentially absurd to claim that it could not possibly happen in any circumstances. As such, it makes perfect sense for them to refer to it in the case of this hypothetical planet even if you believe it is not happening on our planet.

Global Warming as a concept is absolutely uncontroversial. It's entirely possible for the activities of a sufficiently-advanced race to affect the climate. Exactly how much our activities are affecting the climate is, to an extent, open to debate (although all of the evidence points to the fact that it is doing so significantly, even if the exact amount is not known), but the principle absolutely is not. You only have to look at Mars or Venus to see that greenhouse gasses affect the climate.

Reactions:
Ah this thread semi made my day, more funny I think cos my man's avatar is the yank flank (no offence Muricans). Ironic isent it, the net beneficiaries of globalized industrialization are pretty much the only ones that would prefer a convenient untruth that they are not responsible for spiraling conditions. Gotta keep making them monies fam, just keep listening to Murdoch.

PS. As someone else already pointed out, sci-fi has ALWAYS been a vehicle for political commentary. Do you remember war of the worlds being banned for being a blatent commentary on colonization? :p (book, not the Scientologist film.)

Reactions:

Sarcasm aside: Man-made client change is not politics, it's science. Science in a science fiction game. Deal with it.

Maybe you could make a global warming mechanic for industrialised planets in Heinlein, just to be really spiteful.

Reactions:
Why don't you put in a features menu, where you can turn off or on the "Global Warming Conspiracy Propaganda" feature, similar to what the Reaper's Due brought to CK2?

Reactions:
Maybe you could make a global warming mechanic for industrialised planets in Heinlein, just to be really spiteful.

Eh, no need to be spiteful, but equally there's certainly no need to cater to science denialists. If we put in a space vaccine tech it's not gonna cause space autism, either.

Reactions:

And this is why you're the greatest guy on the internet Wiz! Keep it up! :D

Reactions:
Eh, no need to be spiteful, but equally there's certainly no need to cater to science denialists. If we put in a space vaccine tech it's not gonna cause space autism, either.
Note to self : don't drink your coffee while reading this. It's potentially harmful to the keyboard and the TV.

Reactions:

You actually forgot that Earth is center of universe and Sun circles around Earth, my inner inquisitor is crying over such heretical overlook.

But yeah, that event chain is perfectly fine as it is.

Reactions:
Ruining Earth out of lack of knowledge about global warming would be stupid.

Intentionally ignoring the well-publicized statements made by the vast majority of climate scientists, and refusing to take action because it doesn't align with one's political views and philosophies, is actually much worse than stupid.

So I am impressed by the Dev's restraint on this issue.

Reactions:
This has been a real shameful response in what i would assume to be mostly adults here. I was even poked at for my national flag. I wasn't asking anyone to change their opinion on man made global warming nor was i making fun of or berating people on the other side of the issue. I was just asking for more neutrality.
Just because scientists that fit your narrative tell you man made global warming is real, doesn't mean there are not a lot of scientists that disagree.
I'm sure most of you if not all of you don't really know, you just selectively choose to believe one side over the other. I myself don't really know as well as I am not a scientist nor have i conducted any field studies. All i know is the the earth has been very hot when there were no humans around. And the earth has been very cold when there were no humans around. So the Earth by itself changes temperature, humans or not. Suggesting that the earth will stay at a certain temperature for humanity does not seem like a likely occurrence to me.
I believe in global climate change! I just don't believe that humans are the cause at this time. For this and for suggesting something a little more neutrality minded, this is the response i receive. People could have disagreed with me without becoming insulting.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.