• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Did I get a bug with the first added map?

The beginning grow rapidly chaotic, until not sure, perhaps day 40 then get a last portals spawn at day 50. Then nothing noteworthy up to end at day 100. only always the same small coming from frontiers.

The layout is well done and the two temples at the start very good, like having all those temples. But it's weird, the beginning was very fun but there's something wrong at half.

EDIT: And for the changes, well not so many are obvious, not too mention I had already fixed the tax collector problem so well.

Yes I can see it, if you rush destroy everything asap. After to have play Bay at the Day overall this map is a little a disappointment but well there's nice points anyway.

Scrolling through a long list of heroes is much easier now
True.
I noticed that monsters now turn and face the hero attacking them instead of blindly attacking a building while their health disappears.
Pretty sure they already did this when being attacked by melee heroes. Not when attacked by ranged/magic heroes. And guess what; they still don't. Those are my observations though.
Increasing the starting gold on some missions adds some flexibility which is always nice.
Except a set of Cleric's, Rangers, Rogues and Warriors is about 1000 gold more expensive, de-countering those alterations. And they only added gold to the final missions... who DIDN'T need it, while keeping the "easier" missions with the same gold but increased prices, making the gameopening even slower. Try Shadows of the Past for example with 1.1.179.
I think the AI is improved
Some, but not nearly near the level I had hoped for.

As for the added map; yeah. About day 40 or so the challenge is gone. Seriously, what was up with all those gold-injections when I already HAD 20K+ ON DAY 30! :eek:
Seriously, what was the point of making it that difficult and overrun, if you give bucketloads of money exactly to counter-act that?

Yeah, but you make enough yourself in order to do that without the game throwing tens of thousands of gold to you.
They wanted to make them "expert" quests? Then don't choke us on cash!

Also; I only just noticed heroes are less one-minded when going for flags. That's good. I didn't notice it before because they still are when "going home", "collecting loot" or "buying new stuff". And yes, that means going into buying mode in the middle of 5 enemies, get hit, then kill one, buy, get hit, etc.
Well, at least some progress was made here.

I agree with the Hassat... with patch, a minotaur just stood still and showed my ranger his backside while ranger turned it into a pincushion. I think he was looking at a trading post with back to ranger before ranger attacked, but minotaur wasn't close enough to damage trading post. (Maybe it was the same before patch I'm not sure)

I agree with the "buying new stuff" mode also. It was quite droll watching my new dwarf buying new stuff for the first time surrounded by rats. The rats were disposed of easily enough, however they nibbled a decent chunk out of his health by the time he made it to the blacksmith. Not that he seemed the slightest bit worried :)

Characters may also be smarter defending their own buildings and cleaning up any monsters that emerge from a destroyed monster lair. I haven't seen a status of "defending the kingdom" on anyone though.

Heroes seem to have shed their binge drinking tendencies with the magic bazaar potions too. Woohoo! In fact, after completing The Big Trouble, I noticed some of the heroes hadn't even consumed all their potions! (Which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing yet, I'll have to study this more closely).

Increasing the building costs has made things... quite a bit more challenging at times! The Royal Feat was one mission I noticed this significantly (no gold increased in that mission - and the map demands a somewhat aggressive strategy with the snakes lairs all around your castle).

I think the hero scrollbar is a HUGE improvement. Much easier to manage heroes now.

One thing I was hoping would be fixed but WASN'T - heroes that are resurrected in graveyard, can sometimes STILL be rendered permanently invisible. For me personally, who loves the aesthetics of seeing my heroes scurrying around and fighting etc, this sucks so bad I almost wish I had created a new hero instead of resurrecting them.

Last edited:
In the new custom maps?

Monsters wait to attack in pack. In the tropics, it is highly noticeable.

Northwards, a werewolf can stand still for twenty~thirty seconds or something waiting to be reinforced by wolves pack etc
Eastwards, bearman do the same.
I remember that the monsters attacking in waves was a request emitted on this forum.

In the new custom maps?

Northwards, a werewolf can stand still for twenty~thirty seconds or something waiting to be reinforced by wolves pack etc
Eastwards, bearman do the same.
I remember that the monsters attacking in waves was a request emitted on this forum.

no, I'm replaying the old maps with the patch first. this was on one of the fairly early maps. either the very early one where you have to build the ancient guard towers and protect the peasants from minotaurs.. or maybe the Royal Feat or one of the missions in between.

I look forward to polaying those new custom maps though. (I thought the old custom maps were not too hard after finishing the campaign)

Not really. They attack in waves because dens spawnings are modified a bit in this map. As in; a dark portal spawns ALL the spawn at once instead of 1 at the time like in other maps (Ancient Lich included).

The pausing always happened already with the monsters coming from the sides of the map. They reached their "destination" and do an AI update on what's their new target, then go for it. Not wait for some reinforcements...

They don't pause everytime they have to access their decision tree. They just do it once because they finished their pre-programmed path (entering the map and go to X) then think what to do next.

I never, ever, seen it being combined with getting more troops to follow it.

If there's waves and monsters waiting other it's quite broken. I didn't noticed that on a regular base. Sure few time I saw a small pack of wolves coming close to a werewolf but few time in comparison of each coming alone.

For waves coming from frontiers it's another point. I haven't yet check the missions code about that apart for Day of the Bay. From what I have seen in Day of the Bay and from targeted look in some missions code, you could perhaps simulate monsters waiting each other. I see two possible way to do that (both could be wrong):
There's even a condition trigger that allows check when something come in an area you have defined. I have seen this used only for checking when a player hero arrives somewhere but looking at the syntax it's possible that you could use it for some other units. In no way it will be as sample than a real wave system predefined for you but it's quite possible that a map could program waves relatively well.
You could Spawn and program a detailed path of a monster, that's what is used a lot with the final map. By using this with multiple monsters you could probably simulate waves and monsters waiting other, again not easy, but perhaps possible.

Day of the Bay simulate waves through a basic but efficient approach, spawn a lot of monsters at same time and eventually some are programmed to protect other or even to protect one so they stick better in pack.

For the general attitude of something spawned I have seen three different AI setup there could be more.

For the portal spawns in Tropic map it's most probably just days count wait like is programmed the periodic cash bonus but not even in a loop. And when a wait is done the code just spawn x dens, eventually in a set of random locations predefined as it's done in Ancient Lich map, just the number of dens spawned which is different.

EDIT: For the wolfes and werewolf eventually wolves are spawned to protect werewolves, that's possible, so if there's a werewolf around they try reach him, simulating roughly a little wave. That's not a new possibility coming from this patch.

EDIT2: It's possible that not all werewolves was spawned from a den but from an area or frontier until one hero discover the area. Then this sort of span could use a loop to be repeated and a monster cinematic sequence to wait some time, with the purpose to increase chance of a wolves spawn protecting the werewolf. Why I didn't noticed it much could be because I anticipate most werewolf coming from far. Yes that's quite hypothetical and perhaps not fully possible. But something that could be tried from the missions code I have seen.

EDIT3: Aren't summons follow more the summoner with this patch? I get a strong feeling of that by playing Tropic map but more easy to notice with Krypta because she has more summons. I don't mean a summon will stop a fight for follow but still follow more the summoner.

Last edited:
I think the hero scrollbar is a HUGE improvement. Much easier to manage heroes now.
Yes that's not bad, so I made a mod to have it in previous game version, scrollbar and 9 lines of heroes and a bit less space between icons... So quite better, for me at least. :)

Check User Modification forums for a snapshot.

EDIT: Cough cough well, nope that wasn't a good idea to reduce space between icons!

Last edited:
Why do I get this error
---------------------------
Setup
You either have the wrong game version, or the update has already been installed.
OK

Do you have your UAC disabled? That's the first thing I do when I install a new operating system. If it's enabled it sometimes blocks access to a program acting like it isn't installed. Also make sure you always install everything by right clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator."

Do you have your UAC disabled? That's the first thing I do when I install a new operating system. If it's enabled it sometimes blocks access to a program acting like it isn't installed. Also make sure you always install everything by right clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator."

My UAC is disabled and i ran admin on the installer and the patch. I use 64bit if that has any effect.