• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victor1234

Tabornagy
10 Badges
Jan 3, 2004
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
So, here is the second part of my AAR detailing Hungary's travels through the ages. After I get the converted EU2 game edited and setup and such, a link to the converted EU2 save download, as well as starting game info will go here...

Download Converted Savegame:
Here
Thanks to King of Men for his wonderful converter, although note that I'll be heavily editing this savegame for use in my AAR and when I'm done, I'll put up the edited savegame as well.

Download Edited Savegame:
Here
It took long enough to do, and yet is only 400kb, be sure to check out the readme.

Download Napoleonic War Savegame
Here
This was the big Europe-wide war featured in the AAR, that began in 1798.

Link to previous part of the Hungarian Quartet
Gesta Hungarorum: Book I

Link to next part of the Hungarian Quartet
Piros, Fehér, Zöld, ez a Magyar Föld

Last edited:
Table of Contents:
Prologue
Chapter I: The Beginning
Chapter II: The Early Reign of Lajos I, of the House of Árpád-Bihar, King of Hungary and Estonia, Emperor of the Romans and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter III: The End of the Reign of Lajos I, of the House of Árpád-Bihar, King of Hungary and Estonia, Emperor of the Romans and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter IV: The Reign of István IV, of the House of Árpád-Bihar, King of Hungary and Estonia and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter V: The Reign of Károly I, of the House of Árpád-Bihar, King of Hungary and Estonia and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter VI: The First Years of the Reign of Lajos II, of the House of Árpád-Bihar, King of Hungary and Estonia and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter VII: The End of the Reign of Lajos II, of the House of Árpád-Bihar, King of Hungary and Estonia and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter VIII: The Reign of Lajos III, of the House of Árpád-Bihar, King of Hungary and Estonia and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter IX: The Early Parts of the Reign of Károly II, of the House of Árpád-Bihar, King of Hungary and Estonia and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter X: The End of the Reign of Károly II, of the House of Árpád-Bihar, King of Hungary and Estonia and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter XI: The Reign of István V, of the House of Árpád-Bihar, King of Hungary and Estonia and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter XII: The Reign of Lajos IV, of the House of Árpád-Bihar, King of Hungary and Estonia and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter XIII: The Reign of Lajos V, of the House of Árpád-Bihar, King of Hungary and Estonia and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter XIV: The Reign of Károly III, of the House of Árpád-Székesfehérvár, King of Hungary and Estonia and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter XV: The Reign of Károly IV, of the House of Árpád-Székesfehérvár, King of Hungary and Estonia and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter XVI: The Reign of Károly VI, of the House of Árpád-Székesfehérvár, King of Hungary and Estonia and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter XVII: The Beginning of the Reign of István VI, of the House of Árpád-Székesfehérvár, King of Hungary and Estonia and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter XVIII: The End of the Reign of István VI, of the House of Árpád-Székesfehérvár, King of Hungary and Estonia and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter XIX: The Reign of István VII, of the House of Árpád-Székesfehérvár, King of Hungary and Estonia and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter XX: The Reign of István VIII, of the House of Árpád-Székesfehérvár, King of Hungary and Estonia and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter XXI: The First Part of the Reign of Lajos VI, of the House of Árpád-Székesfehérvár, King of Hungary and Estonia and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter XXII: The Reign of Lajos VI, of the House of Árpád-Székesfehérvár, King of Hungary and Estonia and Palace Administrator of the Holy See
Chapter XXIII: The Great French War (Szécsényi #1)
Chapter XXIV: The Great French War (Government #1)
Chapter XXV: The Great French War (Szécsényi #2)
Chapter XXVI: The Great French War (Marchand #1)
Chapter XXVII: The Great French War (Szécsényi #3)
Chapter XXVIII: The Great French War (Government #2)
Chapter XXIX: The Great French War (Marchand #2)
Chapter XXX: The Great French War (Szécsényi #4)
Chapter XXXI: The Great French War (Marchand #3)
Chapter XXXII: The Great French War (Szécsényi #5)
Chapter XXXIII: The Great French War (Government #3)
Chapter XXXIV: The Great French War (Marchand #4)
Chapter XXXV: The Great French War (Szécsényi #6)
Chapter XXXVI: The Great French War (Marchand #5)
Chapter XXXVII: The Great French War (Szécsényi #7)
Chapter XXXVIII: The Great French War (Government #4)
Chapter XXXIX: The Great French War (Marchand #6)
Chapter XL: The Great French War (Szécsényi #8)
Chapter XLI: TThe Great French War (Marchand #7)
Chapter XLII: The Great French War (Szécsényi #9)
Chapter XLIII: The Great French War (Government #5)
Chapter XLIV: Epilogue

Last edited:
Subscribing for the next great episode of this great AAR. I'm waiting to see what the world looks like after conversion.

I will definitely look forward to the continuation.

Are you going to update anytime soon? I got used to your rather frequent updating during the first part of this AAR and have been waiting eagerly how this continues.

As soon as I have time, I aimed a little high for this editing process, and ended up not only doing new monarchs/leaders for Hungary, but also for 8 other nations :)

Still have about 3 sets of those to put in, as well as finishing AI and writing some events. So far all the countries, claims, COTs, militaries and alliances/vassals are done, as well as the 6 sets of monarchs/leaders.

Going to be releasing the whole thing as an alternate history scenario once it's done, and then I can start playing for the AAR. :)

Well, it's all coming together now, little did I realize that in addition to the monarch/leader sets I've already done for countries in the scenario, I'd also have to do ones for countries that are formed later on....now everything is done except the AI and events. The scenario is looking pretty good, although I did have to make a few changes that will mean it won't be compatible with any other games played on vanilla 1.09 EU2...I expect to be done by next weekend, when I'll put it up and a short bio of the world situation, then I'll get started on the AAR.
Thanks to everyone who has been waiting, just a little while longer :)

Prologue:

Whereupon in the year of our Lord one-thousand four-hundred and nineteen, in the third year of the reign of King Lajos I (Louis I), the Budai Egyetem (University of Buda) had for two years hence been entrusted with the keeping of the Gesta Hungarorum, the chronicle of the Hungarian Kingdom. Shortly prior, the rise to power had ended, leaving Hungary the greatest Kingdom in Europe, and the most stable of all. In the lands of Europe both far and wide, mighty Kingdoms rose and fell, each like the passing of the season. Yet the House of Árpád remained intact and ruled over vast lands, the largest by far. Civil strife and the usurping of thrones had scattered the Kingdom of England to the wind, once the greatest power. So too, the French and German Kingdoms fell, to be replaced by petty states who each became the jealous rival of the next. In the east, the brethren of Hungary, the Kingdom of the Levant, was beset by the infidel Seljuk Turks who scorned their nomadic ways and took up the manners and practices of the Greeks whom they had conquered. The Holy Father in Rome, having too often relied on the valour of Hungarian arms, had found his position and powers limited by that of the King of Hungary. Each King of Hungary was thus sworn to defend the Papacy with all the might of Hungary yet gained from this exchange great autonomy in the religious affairs of Hungary and in the election of future Popes. Thus began the new age of prosperity for the Hungarian Kingdom.

endseal.jpg

Indeed, nice prologue.

Now towards the brighter future, where Hungarians create an empire where sun never sets.

Book II
Chapter I: The Beginning

The Kingdom of Hungary, then in the year of our Lord one thousand four-hundred and twenty, now encompassed all of Central Europe, owing to the Royal Reclaimation Proclamation issued by the Crown, under the seal of King Lajos I. Under the terms of the proclamation, the holdings of the Hungarian King would be reorganized thus: the Kingdoms of Bohemia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Lithuania, Poland, Serbia and Venice would hence be annexed to the Kingdom of Hungary, while the newly created Kingdom of Estonia would remain in personal union with the Hungarian Crown. All duchies thus existing were to be dissolved, save for the Duchy of Athens, which was seen as necessary for the defense of the eastern border against the Seljuk Turks. Each duchy would hence be replaced by the comitatus (county) system of old, whereby the newly enlarged lands of the Hungarian Crown spanned two-hundred comitatuses and the King held fifty comitatus civitatis (royal county) as his personal estate. On the islands of the Kingdom, of which there were many, the lands remained under the ownership of the King, who appointed stewards and other officials to maintain the land in his name. Each year every comes comitatus (count of the county) would journey to Buda, the capital of the Hungarian Kingdom, and take their seat in the congregatio generalis (general congregation) to bring any greivances before the King. The position of comes comitatus was one of the few remaining for the nobility, having lost their considerable influence over military affairs after their disastrous conduct during the war against the Fatamids (1320-1326). Faced with the destruction of their personal warbands through folly and blundering, the nobles were left weak and forced by the King to destroy their castles not directly located on the frontiers of the Kingdom. With such power no longer in their hands, the nobles of the Kingdom could only manage their large agricultural estates in the comfort of villas, the only suitable residence remaining after the destruction of their castles. Each estate encompassed many hold (moon, a unit of land) and those who worked on the lands of the nobles, the serfs, lacked those rights their city-dwelling brethren had been afforded over past years, though were free to come and go as they pleased and were protected under the laws of the realm. Of those living within the frontiers of the Kingdom, there remained few men of foreign stock, for the terrible plagues had swept the land and destroyed all but a few natives residing within, leaving only the Hungarians in any significant numbers. Only a contingent of Greeks, Estonians and Arabs remained within the Kingdom, each in one corner. The remaining Greeks all dwelt on the island of Cyprus, the Arabs on the Canary Islands and the Hungarian stronghold of Gibraltar, and the Estonians in their native lands to the north.

crowngood.jpg

The Holy Crown of Hungary

The King, Lajos I of the House of Árpád-Bihar, was the first King to rule from Buda, the previous capital at Pozsony (Pressburg) having been abandoned due to plague. Buda, on the left bank of the Danube, was a prosperous town of eighty-thousand souls and had been built over an earlier Roman settlement. The Budai Kastély (Castle of Buda), overlooking the city and the river Duna (Danube) had been largely rebuilt and turned into a palace of immeasurable luxury in 1205 A.D. The town, having benefitted greatly from river trade with other towns and villages of the Kingdom, had grown quite prosperous and boasted one of the only three universities then existing in the Kingdom, while the Budai Sörfozde (Brewery of Buda) had been established in 1372 A.D. and allowed beer to be the favored drink of the lower classes in the town. Significant construction commenced in the reign of Lajos I, for as Holy Roman Emperor and King of Hungary, he required a town most regal and prestigious as his capital.

Buda.jpg

Buda

The King, although owning all the land of the Kingdom, chose to make the fifty greatest comitatuses his own, personally administered by his officials. On these lands, spread all over the Kingdom, there existed five grand palaces for the his use, as well as the main palace in Buda. The King, chosen by the ancient laws of salic primogenture, each year convened the congregatio generalis wherein the nobles of the land could bring their greivances before him. Through previous powers gained by Papal Bull, the King too was the Palatinus Adminiculator (Palace Administrator) of the Papacy, which allowed him to have a hand in the election of any new Pope, ensuring that only those properly suited would be elected. Furthermore, he bid the Pope crown him Holy Roman Emperor, a position unfilled for some time owing to the previous collapse of the Holy Roman Empire. Though having absolute power over his subjects, his actions were too limited by the doctorine of the Holy Crown. This doctrine, having been developed by brilliant legal minds of centuries past, dictated that the King drew his authority from the Crown of the Hungarian Kingdom and would at all times act in it's interests or else he be not the King. Within the Kingdom, there existed certain dignitaries and officials appointed by the King. Such was the Tárnokmester (Treasurer), in charge of the finances of the Kingdom and of the King himself. The currency of Hungary being a mixture of silver and gold coins mined from the Felvidék (Slovakia) mines, was then named "korona" (crowns), and was traded extensively throughout Europe. The Tárnokmester was also charged with maintaing and collecting taxes from towns and providing justice to them as well. The Nádor (Palatine) was the highest official of Hungary under the King, in charge of the administration of the Kingdom, including serving as regent if the King had not yet come of age as well as acting as the guardian of the Royal Seal. The Országbíró (Country Judge) acted in the King's name in matters of justice and punishment, having full authority to judge any common man within the Kingdom. A seperate Külföldibiró (Foreign Judge) was the judge of the Arabs, Greeks and Jews then living within the Kingdom, and was also free to render any judgement to persons belonging to those groups in the King's name. The Folovászmester (Master of Horse), was the commander of the Királyi Hadsereg (Royal Army) and Határörség (Border Guard) and second only to the King in matters pertaining to war. Among the other warriors of the Kingdom, there too existed the Ormester (Master of the Guard) who, independent of the Folovászmester, commanded the Királyi Orség (Royal Guard) and protected the person and property of the King from harm.

royalhussar.jpg

Horseman of the Royal Guard

The armies of the Kingdom had been depleted in recent years with the onset of the plague and so very few soldiers were under arms or otherwise prepared for war. The fifteen-thousand man Királyi Orség in Buda and the fifty-thousand man Határörség were the only forces in the Kingdom of Hungary, all others having been disbanded due to the plague. Apart from these, there was a two-thousand man Pápai Orség (Papal Guard) in Rome, composed of Hungarian volunteers and guarding the Pope. One other force of Hungarian fighting men existed, if temporarily, owing to the war against the Seljuks waged by the Jeruzsálemi Királyság (Kingdom of Jerusalem). When the war started, a group of five-thousand men volunteered and formed the Army of St. Stephen, vowing to fight with the Hungarians of Palestine and Egypt against the Seljuks until such time as they regained Tortosa in Lebanon, where in 1321 A.D., the great Hungarian hero Gáspár Egervári fought to cover the retreat of the Hungarian crusaders against a thousand infidel with but three men, and in doing so saved the pious knights from destruction at the cost of his own life. The Magyar Királyi Haditengerség (Royal Hungarian Navy), having been formally established at Zára in 1103 A.D. , had absorbed the remains of the Byzantine, Genoese and Venetian fleets after the conquests of Hungary, yet neglect had meant of the hundreds of galleys acquired, only two remained afloat by the time of King Lajos I, and these two were in a state most sorrowful as well.

early1400.jpg

Typical soldiers of the Hungarian armies, led by the King

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpt from "The History of the House of Árpád-Bihar" (Published 1937, Pannonia Könyvek Kft.)

During this time in the stages of the Hungarian Kingdom, the King gained an unprecedented amount of power over his subjects. The powers of the clergy and the Roman Catholic Church had been overcome when the great King Antal had forced the Pope to grant the Papal Bull of 1225, effectively allowing the Hungarian King to appoint his own cardinals and bishops within the territories of Hungary and to carry out the practice of moneylending. Further power over the Papacy had been gained when, after repeated invasions by Arabs had overcome the Papal States, the Pope required Hungarian troops to reclaim Rome. For this service, the Pope was effectively a figurehead of the Hungarian Kingdom and the Roman Catholic Church merely an instrument. As further religious strife later proved, this virtual monopoly on religion by the Hungarian Kingdom did not sit well with the rest of Europe. The power over the nobles was gained both with the granting of the previously mentioned Papal Bull, which encouraged the growth of an effective middle class and with the military defeats in the War against the Kingdom of the Fatamids (1320-1326). Having previously relied on the nobles to raise forces and form the majority of the Hungarian army, the nobles neglected to properly arm, train or maintain their forces and as such were slaughtered in the sands of Egypt, Palestine and Syria. Many of the nobles themselves fell or otherwise decided to remain after the war in the Jeruzsálemi Királyság, meaning that not only were their personal regiments seriously depleted, but their families as well. The arrival of several waves of the plague did not help what remained of their forces, although the forces of the King were depleted as well. Facing the weakness of the nobles, the King had decided the time was right and so removed their last havens, their mighty castles, as well, effectively ending their previously overwhelming influence. The last remaining power of the nobility was in economic circles in terms of tax collection and the agricultural estates, as the King had not yet developed or perfected the administration necessary to oversee such a large Kingdom. So at this time, the only true remaining source of worry for the King was the doctorine of the Holy Crown, which limited his authority and provided a legal means for his disposal, although no one at this time had such a position of power or force to carry it out. So in the beginning of the fifteenth century, the Kingdom of Hungary remained one of the most powerful and stable in Europe or indeed the world, although lacking considerably in centralization.

Last edited:
Good to see that you have started this second part of your AAR. Seljuks must be biggest threat to you. In Europe there's hardly a state which can challenge you.

Well, I suppose it's time to show what stage the editing is at...only the painful job of event coding remains.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

There are 2 wars going on at the start of the game, and two-three more are very likely to erupt. Essentially, the English are engaged in civil war, as at the end of the CK game, the de Montgomery family (duchies in Germany, vassals of the English) had just deposed the de Cornouaille as the royal family of England. The idea is, Scotland, Ireland, York and Normandy want independence, Cornwall is where the de Cornouaille family fled to raise an army to take back their throne. The other countries agree to allow the de Cornouaille's to rule England if they win the war, but the English Kingdom would be greatly reduced. The English Kingdom at the start has claims on all of the UK and northern France, and has French as a second culture. At the start of the game, they get an event where they either surrender (and the de Cornouaille will rule, they lose all claims on France and UK and lose French culture, and lose alot of provinces) or they fight. If they fight and win, they get to keep the claims+culture, if they lose, the same thing happens as if they'd surrendered, and if nobody wins, it ends in a tie and return to the status quo.

The second war, between the Seljuks and the Kingdom of Jerusalem, is also carried over from CK. The Seljuks had invaded the Kingdom and drove them from Syria, Lebanon and Palestine (although in CK the Kingdom did manage to hold Jerusalem...). Within this alternate history, the Seljuk Turks have largely assimilated with the Greeks in the Byzantine Empire, and are now Turkish in name only. There are some elements of their empire (Candar and Dulkadir) who are still Turkish and want to rule over Anatolia and settle it with their people. There are also enclaves of Orthodox Georgians (Armenia) and Arabic-Catholics (Armenia Minor) who also want independence. These countries are essentially waiting for Jerusalem to win so they can break free from the Seljuks. So, if Jerusalem starts to do well (retakes Palestine), these countries will break their vassal ties with the Seljuks and declare war on them. However, if the Seljuks take the rest of Palestine and reach Egypt, they win the war and all these 4 countries are annexed/crushed.

Meanwhile, in Spain and France, the Occitans (south French) have spread to central France and northern Spain. Toulouse is the leader of the main Occitan alliance (a group of southern French Occitan countries) and will most likely begin a war with the main French alliance (led by Orleans and includes the French states). In Spain, the native Iberians have been pushed to the mountains in the north (Castile) and to Valencia (Aragon), and the remaining states are Occitan or a mix of Iberian and Occitan. Most of southern Spain is still Arabic, so although Portugal (whose Occitan King wishes to unite all of Spain under his rule) has both Occitan and Iberian culture and has many provinces, most of theirs are Arabic and are not as rich. Two alliances exist here, (the Iberians and the Occitans, although Portugal is a part of neither and hates both) and war is likely to erupt.

In Russia, the muslims have been largely pushed out, and there are six or so states, each trying to unite Russia. Novgorod and Potolsk are the only Catholic ones amongst them, the others are all Orthodox. Astrakahan and Crimea are both Russian/orthodox states, although their flags and sprites make them seem arabic. Georgia is much larger than in real life and is Georgian/Orthodox as well.

The Kingdom of North Africa, invaded by Italians in CK and assimilated, have largely become Arabic-Catholics much like the Seljuk Turks became Greeks. They rule most of North Africa, but Tripoli is still around as an arabic/muslim country.

There are also alliances of pro-Hungarian Germans (German kingdoms with Hungarian rulers) in northern Germany, an alliance of Dutch countries (the Germans have colonized most of the modern Netherlands, so the Dutch are restricted to coastal areas and Belgium) and the Papal States are vassals of Hungary :cool:

That covers the description of the world at the start of the scenario, but there are still events to code (mainly finishing the formation events, for the formation of Russia, Netherlands, France, Spain, etc) and exams are done, so I should be able to work on finishing the scenario full-time now, after which the updates should flow like old times.

Olaus Petrus: Yep, the Seljuks are the biggest threat, but they've got their own problems. I think I'm going to be in trouble when the alliance with Sweden ends, as they are very powerful too. If Russia gets united, they'll also be a menace, although if both France and a minor (West) Germany unites and team up against me, I might also be in trouble. Ruling such a vast empire, I'm going to fall behind in tech probably very soon, even with my lead. The centralization is as far decentralized as it can go, so it'll probably take me ages to reduce the tech penalties. Should be interesting.

Legolas: Thanks, I hope it will be so. :)

Your scenario does really look good and interesting. You have done excellent job in converting of the game. Hopefully coding the events won't cause too much trouble.

Excellent AAR so far.
Would you make the edited savegame downloadable?

If there's one thing I like it's alternative history! Looking forward for more :)

Olaus Petrus: Thanks, the events are progressing well.

Molace: I will as soon as it's done, but now I'm still finishing the events and tweaking the AI a bit after doing some testing.

Saulta: Thanks, I hope to have this up and running as soon as possible, but I'm really slow at this EU2 editing :p