• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Empire has shrunk surprisingly. No doubt it will shrink still more when you come down. France is still trouble, so the war probably won't be/have been easy - hopefully you'll pull out of this one with more than you go in with. ;)

Burn Wien and Paris!
Is Lithuania big?

No, surprisingly Lithuania consists of the province of Bohemia

The Empire has shrunk surprisingly. No doubt it will shrink still more when you come down. France is still trouble, so the war probably won't be/have been easy - hopefully you'll pull out of this one with more than you go in with. ;)

All the Southern German states, save Wurttemberg, pulled out of the Empire as soon as I was elected Emperor. That's one of the reasons I had to come up with this whole Northern Empire-thing

France...spooked... by a shadow? A bat? A Dane!

Surrender monkeys... they'll be spooked by anything. Then proceed to work on whatever spooked them with a pair of pliers and a blow torch, I'm afraid

Subcribed. Excellent AAR so far, always nice to see Denmark rise to power!!! Being a Dane myself it's even better :D

Glad to have you as a reader. It's been nice to lead Denmark to a better fate than in real life, though we still have to see what the 18th century will bring before we draw any conclusions.

I'm guessing V2...

Also, I just made a small edit in the previous post, I didn't vassalize Brandenburg, I diploannexed Brunswick. That's what (more or less) lead to the war. Normally I would just have let this pass, as Brandenburg will soon be diplo-vassalized anyway, but the fact that Brunswick is part of my country and not a vassal is kind of important in the upcoming war. Sorry about that.

Oh, and also, I think I should clarify that in game terms, there is now a monarch by the name of Margrethe I, not a regency council, so I am not limited in any way. I just couldn't justify a woman actually inheriting the Danish throne (this was not possible until 1953 in our timeline), much less a woman being elected Emperor, thus the character of Margrethe of Great Britain reigning for her infant son.

Last edited:
A quck march on Paris and then turn around and raze Vienna to the ground and all will be well for a few decades again. Install a new Bohemian ruler while you're at it too to join the Danish HRE.

Victoria revolution
i think there is one in the mod forum somewhere

I'll look into that, but it will probably be V2 if I continue. I just need a new computer first :/

A quck march on Paris and then turn around and raze Vienna to the ground and all will be well for a few decades again. Install a new Bohemian ruler while you're at it too to join the Danish HRE.

Well... if Austria and France weren't both an equal match for me, that might have been a possibility.

Great AAR.

:)

No, surprisingly Lithuania consists of the province of Bohemia

This absurdity made me do another edit to the previous post. Even though the tag in the game is Lithuania, I will refer to it as Bohemia from now on.

Chapter XLIV: Masters of War

Gyldenstjerne.png

Coat of arms of the House of Gyldenstierne

At the opening of hostilities in February 1695, the Danish armies fought competently under the leadership of Harald Danneskiold, the illegitimate brother of Frederik IV. The Austrian and allied armies were kept at bay, and in May a breakthrough was made in Brunswick, allowing Danish troops to advance on the residence of the Count Palatine at Dresden. This advance, however, was cut short when troops were needed to fight of the French invasion of Hannover in June, and the army was split up. The siege of Dresden was maintained by a smaller army led by Ove Gjedde, but elsewhere, The Danish armies were forced into defence, and troops were relocated from the Baltic region to assist in fighting back the combined armies of the two Great Powers.

In Vinland, the colony of Godhavn (the western part of modern day Terre-Neuve) was overrun by French forces from the eastern part of the island, but further advances were blocked by a Danish fleet in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence, and the colonial warfare came to a standstill.

In November, an unusually harsh winter hit Central Europe. The French armies had conquered Hannover and were having their winter quarters in the castles vacated by Danish noblemen, while the Austrians retreated into Bohemia and stayed as guests of a rather reluctant king Boleslaw. Meanwhile, Ove Gjedde continued to lay siege to Dresden, but with horrible results. Finding little shelter from the snow and cold, disastrous numbers of men died or were invalidated from the cold, and even greater numbers deserted the army. Ove Gjedde sent several requests to Copenhagen, asking permission to lift the siege, and retreat into friendly territory, but was denied. Instead, he was to wait for reinforcements which would arrive in the spring. It has been suggested that Harald Danneskiold saw Gjedde as a rival, and therefore was reluctant to take his advice, but this is surely mere speculation.

When March came along, however, a rather large Austrian army crossed the Elbe, forcing Gjedde into a humiliating retreat, and he was subsequently relegated to the rank of lieutenant and retired to his manor on Fyn, where he lived with in relative poverty for the last years of his short life. The Gjedde family was one of the oldest noble houses of Denmark, and the very harsh treatment of an honest and faithful servant to the crown was the cause of great dissatisfaction with Margrethe and her council amongst the ancient nobility. The incident was not completely without link to the deep mistrust of the ancient Danish nobility that had lingered within the House of Gyldenstierne ever since the Dalby Skov Murder.

With the siege of Dresden lifted and French and Austrian armies moving into the North German Duchies, the Merchant Republic of Novgorod decided to grab the chance to win back Karelia. This would be the last in a long succession of ill-conceived wars from the Russians, as the standing army of Finland conquered the city within months, putting an end to the almost 600 year old republic. With this small victory, the days of the Sound Due were also over, as all trade in the Baltic was now directly under Danish control, making the collection of tariffs for passage into the area irrelevant.

But in the west, things were looking increasingly bleak, and the court in Copenhagen decided to accept a harsh peace agreement. The province of Hannover went to France, as did the western part of Wurttemberg and the Godhavn colony. Austria took another chunk of Wurttemberg and the province of Sandomierz on the Polish border.

The war for Northern Germany had come to a temporary conclusion.

Last edited:
Damn, that's sad. You lost on the two important fronts, I didn't expect that. I hope you'll be able to catch either France or Austria one day without the other to support him.

At least the Russians are no longer a threat. If the armies in Finland are relocated to the south, perhaps you can avenge your defeat?