• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(23415)

Sergeant
Dec 13, 2003
I'm playing a game as Italy. Annexed Albania and Greece in 1939 and joined the big war in March 1940 after Germany DoW'ed the Benelux. The French went with "Vive la France" at the Vichy event so I got most of southern France and Adolf took the rest.

Before the French were kicked out, something weird happened. I noticed a dramatic increase in demand for supplies and found out that a 10-division German army in German-controlled France had become mine! And this was most certainly no exp force because I couldn't return it. It was just like it had always been Italian, I could for example strategically redeploy the divisions and change the leader. The leader of this army (Guderian) also became Italian overnight, so he was available at my leader pool. :eek:

Couple of weeks later this happened again, but this time it was a naval fleet of about 10 cruisers in Hamburg. Same thing as above, no exp force but a total conversion to Italian.

Is this some kind of a historical turn of events á la the Yugoslavian coup (Germany giving Italy troops after Fall of France) or just a bug, plain and simple? It kinda spoiled my game, because it almost feels like cheating to use German Panzers under Guderian when I'm Italy. :(

Upvote 0
Um... actually I'm playing 1.06b. I just noticed that I hadn't installed the new patch. :eek:o

OTOH, there doesn't seem to be anything about this on the 1.06c fixlist. Or maybe it has something to do with the Vichy event which seems to have some fixes. Maybe the AI went insane because of the ahistorical turn of events. :cool:

The only event that I know in which you can take over friendly troops is the MR pact. If you leave any romanian or other ally units in lwow and give lwow back to russia they get teleported to your deployment que - and are in effect your units. However I dont see this happening if Vichy was not created.

F

I one had a nice game as hungary. There was an inicident when the country , in which I was fighting using a german exp force , was anexed.

And *schwups* the exp force became mine with their leader

Spocky

RE: German troops turning Italian

I had the same bug (or whatever you call it).
I was in year 1940 and the attack to France had just begun.
I, as Italy, joined the Axis and took some French soil. Suddenly I realised that I own half of the Kiregsmarine and some 20-30 German Divisions.
Realistic???

It REALLY bugs me and spoils the game...

PS.
I played the version 1.06c.

This happened to me too!

I had the same bug many times as Italy, of German units turning into my units. I wasnt complaining at first, like when 10 fighter divisions suddenly became mine to own, but after awhile, it sucked because i really would have preferred if Germany could use them, I dont like that kind of micromanagement. and, its a drain on my supplies. Why is this? Its so weird.

Do you guys get a message of some sort? Like that you are sent exp forces?

Are these forces under your military control or are they exp forces or did the comp just base them on your land?

Did something happen before that - like Spocky wrote?

F

nope, no message

The only indication that I ever got that i was gaining units was my supply was going up. Thats when I started seeing my flag on units i never deployed to that area. All of the sudden I had tons of units including ships, infantry, tanks, and planes that were orginially german, and they came with a german commander.

Might check the game log and message settings; maybe you just aren't getting pop-ups when you receive EFs. I think AI allies almost always send EFs to you when you are at war so if you haven't gotten any messages about that then it's probably a message settings problem (or a bug preventing the pop-up even if the settings are correct). If you select the stack of formerly-Germany units is there a "return control to owner" button?

I seem to remember something (perhaps in the original manual?) about disloyal leaders actually being able to defect - I've never seen this happen myself but is it possible that this is what occurs?

Alexx said:
I seem to remember something (perhaps in the original manual?) about disloyal leaders actually being able to defect - I've never seen this happen myself but is it possible that this is what occurs?
I'm pretty sure that wasn't implemented. I doubt they would defect to an ally anyway.

Nope

No, I was as puzzled as you guys are, so i would check to see if it was just an EP and there would be no return exp. force option, they were my soldiers now, through and through. I thought this was a bigger problem with 1.06c, i didnt know it was just happening to a few handfuls of players. Its constant as Italy, so its not just a random occurance. Anytime I play Italy, i get some random german units that become mine.

I have exactly the same problem. And no, they are not expeditionairy forces, they REALLY turn Italian (there is no button to return them). It ruins every Italy game....

This bug is in the game since 1.06b. But because no-one posted it I thought it was just me. I did a clean install of HoI with 1.06c and the bug still exists.

It happens just middle in the game (not after a save). I can supply a save game just a couple of weeks before it happens if needed.