• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good war and peace against Crimea, interesting to see that your BB and your relations with the Russians are already so bad that they decide to declare war on you, it could have been very dangerous but it seems like your armies and the snow has added a lot of brains to Genghis’s menu, he should have food for some years now, but then it is time to see if Polish brains are any good;)

Chief Ragusa - Not likely enough to invade Russia it seems.

coz1 - War with Russia is very homely but I'd like to go further.

basharious - It is my second AAR. I'm something of a fan of them. Far better than Byzantine in my opinion.

Qorten - I tend to enjoy writing about more obscure nations in AARs.

comagoosie - I wish they would leave me alone.

Lord E - True about Russia doing but at the same time there's no stab hit for them, they have a permanent CB and are coded to try to take out the Golden Horde so not too surprising.

J. Passepartout - Not a problem about missing my AARs. Though of course it is great to have your comments in them. Hope you enjoy this.

aHuman(oid) - Not trend. I'm just writing this AAR using all kinds of different styles, including gameplay.

Today when we look back at the history of the Mongol invasions we tend to view them as a force of destruction and plunder. However there does exist a dissenting view. One in which the Mongols are seen not as pillagers but instead as visionaries. Promoters of a bold vision of a better, braver new world. A world in which all were equal and justice reigned. Truth be told though this is a pretty damned far fetched view and the reality is that even Genghis himself wouldn't support as evidenced by an off-hand remark he made one evening in 1526.

"Mmmm, this brain and carrot pie is just the thing needed to fuel the head of a destructive plundering force."

It must be said that this view does leave out one important characteristic that the Mongols brought to the world, stability. It would be important to note here though that a common definition of stability does not involve peace but is instead 'stability: the quality of being enduring and free from change or variation'. Free from change or variation was a quality the Golden Horde was able to provide in spades, some might say they were bastions of freedom (from advancement). There were even suggestions of exporting it at one time until the point was made that this itself would be a variation and as such best avoided.

Stability was chiefly maintained through the regular occurrence of events involving three things. The first was rebels. An important part of Horde culture rebels served several purposes. Training the army, entertainment, food for the Khan and population control.
azowrebels.png

Rebels do their duty and keep the Horde stable

The second was brains. The Horde's expansion had none nothing to dampen the Khan's appetite. In fact it had perhaps only served to increase it as the greater variation in ingredients enabled him to eat more without getting bored. Genghis even went on to release a cookbook offering helpful advice on the best methods of preparation for those inclined towards cranial snacks.
cookbook.png

Genghis' first book

It became a runaway best seller, not so much for its content but rather for the fact that those found not to be in possession of it were liable to find themselves enjoying it recipes in much the same way chickens enjoy the colonels elevens secret herbs and spices.

The third and final element in the Horde's guide to stability was war. A good war, mused Genghis, helps to galvanise a nation and more importantly concentrate public interest away from the failures of the government. Clearly the Horde was not the only nation to think in such a manner for the Poles were more than happy to try out the method for themselves.
war.png

It's time for war

That's quite an achievement forthe Horde to get to be at war with Poland-Lithuania, Russia, the Teutonic knights and Denmark. That took so many brains to organize.

Not to worry though, the ai will send all its armies to besiege a single province and they'll all die in winter. Genghis won't run from this - not that he can. if this is to be the end, he'll meet his fate with dignity and the immortal words, "I can't die - again."

Excellent. I see many nationalities of brains on the menu tonight. A novel concept, war for stability, but it seems to work for you. ;)

Oh, and I thought that EU1 was dead and buried since long... :D Quite entertaining, this.

Sounds like a very good plan for stability the one you have got there, also a plan that includes lots of brains for the Khan is always nice;) And with all these European brains starting a war against you I think Genghis will have food for the next decade when this war ends…

No doubt this war will provide the Khan with an amount and variety of brains enough for years to come!

Although I own EU I (I bought the Strategy 6-Pack because of Victoria a long time ago) I've never played it (though I finally managed to try out HoI I).

Some differences between EU I and II I already knew about but annexing a country in one go seems ... sweet. :D But the BB-wars seem to trigger much faster than in EU II. At least I didn't have any problems there (much to the contrary of my games in Victoria).

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck, keep 'em brains coming and this AAR going. It would be a shame to see the Golden Horde go the way of all (un)living and vanish shortly after I've discovered this AAR.

Brain eating?

Yes, been there done that. I had a Brain curry a few years back, it was the house speciality at one of the curry houses on Brick Lane in London.

Interesting experience, odd texture slightly spongier that normal meat.

Love the title of the cookbook! :rofl: I hope this AAR is ongoing!

Chief Ragusa - Winter isn't enough to stop these numbers.

coz1 - War for stability was working. Now I'm not sure.

Snugglie - It was dead and buried but it crawled out again.

Lord E - Food for more than a decade if things had gone favourably. Enough for a century even.

comagoosie - It should be available in all good bookshops today.

Qorten - You'd have hoped so but maybe not.

Sokraates - BB wars are much the same. The reason I'm getting DOWed is that I the ai targets nations with the highest BB even if not over the threshold. I am a different religion. Russia at least is coded to attack me and has cores on my territory. So its really its inevitable that they all pile on.

J. Passepartout - I imagine getting over the idea of brain would be the hardest part. After that it could maybe be ok. Actually no exams for me anymore but I've been busy writing a thesis.

PrawnStar - Would you recommend it?

demokratickid - Quite right.

General_BT - It is, sorry about the delay.