• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
header.gif

12-thieves.png
The most observant amongst you may have noticed at the end of the last update that the Russian 'hordes' had managed to overwhelm our northern neighbour. Damn thieves. But on the positive side this provides a juicy target for brain acquisition.

16-new.png
It seems that the Golden Horde's explorers are working overtime. They just found a new province. Excellent.

But in all honesty few people really find the discovery of a distant province truly thrilling. It's quite the same for the undead. Thus in an effort to quell both boredom and hunger Genghis made war upon the Russians.
13-invasion.png
The invasion, termed Operation Brainstorm was swift and without mercy.

Surprisingly given the huge armies fielded by Russia against Kazan the most resistance came in fact from their ally Denmark who temporarily set back operations in Moscow.
14-danish.png
The Danish got lucky and beat back the Horde's cavalry. But Genghis ever the opponent of discrimination vowed they would be treated the same Russians and have their brains simmered to perfection in a delicate sauce of garlic, mushrooms and vodka.

15-butstill.png
The setback was indeed small as Vorones and Lipetsk fell quickly. All that remained was for the snows to clear then it would be onwards to Moscow.

The Russians failed to even mount token resistance as the siege of Moscow took place and the biggest obstacle was one harsh winter outside it's walls. Soon the Golden Horde was in possession of the Russian capital. Including it's maps.
17-oursnow.png

18-wholeworld.png
These maps really put the Horde's explorers to shame. Maybe they will be having dinner with the Khan soon?

19-willtakethat.png
Moscow at last agreed to peace giving up her recent gains and over 100 ducats to sweeten the deal. For now though Genghis was content to mull over the new maps. It looked like a large variety of renowned European cuisine was on offer.

Indeed, Genghis could get fat and swollen on the array of foods and treats in store for him in Europe. Which one to pick?

Woo hoo! I gave up EU1 for EU3, but still have a fond memory of it, having played for years. Brains a la monde! ;)

-Pat

great AAR.. as usual :)

Seems like the new maps opens up a whole new world to the Horde, a world filled with nice European brains… I mean countries that you can conquer. Surprised to see the Russian mount so little resistance, but I am guessing the reputation of the Horde is already casting great shadows over Europe and that they all flee when they see the banner of the Horde approaching…

Do you really need to add vodka to the Russian brains? I mean they already have enough in their system already.

Also great job with the expansion.

The color stealers are back! :p

My goodness, I really must be losing it--an EUI AAR going on for this long without my notice? And as a khanate, no less?! It must have been far too long ago that I played my Sibir game indeed. Well, no more shall this escape my attention.

Deus - Sounds delicious.

comagoosie - Very jealous indeed I think.

coz1 - I think for now my immediate neighbours will do just nicely.

pjcrowe - Fair enough. EUIII is pretty good once NA is added. However EUI has some good things about it.

szmik - Thanks.

Lord E - Don't flee fast enough for my liking.

billy bob - Good point. Damned drunk fools.

demokratickid - Two things that truly go nicely.

germanpeon - Bah, it is irritating.

Chief Ragusa - Alas there is little in the east in EUI. I'm not sure if you're familiar with it but if you aren't, theres only three nations in India and China and Nippon. Most of Asia is PTI

Morpheus506 - Nice to see you round. I read your Sibir AAR a while back. It is a good one. I wish I could conquer the world as swiftly but I doubt it given how long it took to beat just Russia.

Duke of Wellington said:
pjcrowe - Fair enough. EUIII is pretty good once NA is added. However EUI has some good things about it.

Most notably the whole annex-anyone-you-want-in-a-single-go idea :cool:

I begun this session looking around for someone to declare war on. As it is I have six options.

Poland-Lithuania - No. Just plain no. They have literally over 200,000 men waiting and ready to go. Most of what I do at this point really has to revolve around not getting into war with them. Even attrition ain't gonna remove that many men fast enough form my lands.

Astrakhan - Easy, no troops or allies. But little reward for taking them, just more Orthodox poor provinces.

Sibir - A bigger army than me but I could probably deal with that. However I can't even see anymore than two of their provinces and their forest will not suit my cavalry at all.

Russia - Bigger than me. Bigger rewards but for the moment we have a truce. It's not worth the stability hit.

Kazan - Poor and weak. An easy target. Maybe.

Crimea - Strong, with over 60,000 men at arms. But they would have to all invade through Donetsk. Not a bad option.

So I'm left to weigh up Crimea vs Kazan. Who to invade. I hit unpause. Thats when Russia makes the call for me. They declare war on Kazan and within a month and a half their forces have wiped out Kazan. I do like it how countries of any size may be annexed in one go. I just don't like it when my enemies do it.
lost.png

Kazan is no more. All gone very quick.

Well at least that only leaves Crimea. I send off the declaration of war. I'm not worried about the stability hit only the extra BB. In might be enough to provoke Poland-Lithuania (If you're not aware you cannot see your BB score in EUI as in later games).

There not really much to do at first. I just let Crimea do the job of destroying their armies for me.
fools.png

I believe AI stands for Absolute Idiots. Their men will not be hanging around long.

They manage to take Donetsk. But at the cost of over 45,000 men. Their last remnants are wiped up by Genghis and his cavalry and I head on down for the task of taking their lands.
myinvasion.png

Too easy.

Then comes the one thing I've been fearing. A declaration of war. It gives me a bit of a shock but with relief I see it's only from the Russians. This should be fine.
1-invasion.gif

But maybe not. Their winter and summer invasions are substantial. I only have 20,000 men and they're tied up in Crimea.

I decide to finish off Crimea. Meanwhile Russian forces tear through my provinces. After taking the capital they're demanding Kujbyschew as reparations. Why anyone would want such a hideously named province is beyond me. I deny them, even though it costs me a stability point. I think it times to finish in Crimea. I could annex them. But that no doubt would bring everyone in on me. Not a wise move. I settle for three provinces and 250 ducats.
crimea.png

My gains

The war then becomes something of an epic struggle with far too many details to go into here. My provinces of Lipetsk, Kujbyschew, Saratow and the capital of Samara change hands far too many times to count. There are almost monthly demands of Lipetsk for peace. I let winter do most of the work killing the Russians as I can only build 3 to 4 thousand troops a year and can't afford to lose them. Fortunately being mostly cavalry when they do go into battle they tend to annihilate the enemy to the last man. Winter, of course, is a double edged sword for it prevents me from laying siege to Russian provinces.
intheycome.png

A typical scene from the war.

Of course there are rebels popping up like clockwork in my southern provinces. What would the Golden Horde be without rebels? Nonetheless I eventually wear down the Russians and through some lucky and swift sieges grab Kazan, Tambow and Moscow as well as a few of their northern colonies.

kazan.png

moscow.png

Scenes from the later war

The Russians, now without a man left in the army are broken. I demand Tambow and Kazan. They accept. Phew, it's been a long fifteen years this war. Fifteen years! I really can't recall having a war go on for so long in any of the EU games. Especially not in such a small area. I was lucky. If any of my other neighbours had piled in I would have been finished I think. But they didn't so I came out of it ok. I do wonder though if the gains from this war will provoke Poland-Lithuania. If it does......
gains.png

Kazan and Tambow are added to the Khanate

Yes, I do recall the lack of countries in the east and those that are there are not push overs. Indeed, the numbers of troops they raise seems endless. It's a relief to see rebels arising in an AAR about the Golden Horde. I was beginningto think they'd gone on vacation.

The Poles are more likely to invade Russia, given how you keep handing them their butts. Okay, so 15 years isn't being quick about it, but you still did it.

Cruising right along, it seems. A war with Russia seems just the thing to make the Horde feel at home. This is reminding me of the many limitations in EU1 that made EU2 so great.

Very nice, I really like this AAR! I kind of don't remember EUI, as I started playing in 2002, only to discover EU II.

Also, why Golden Horde, again, if I may ask? Isn't this your second AAR with the nation?

Yeah, wondering too. You seem to have something with the Golden Horde. Or rather with Asian countries in general.