• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Camara

General
94 Badges
Dec 28, 2008
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Lead and Gold
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
For non-map related, non-country related, non-event/decision/mission related things post here.

Current Suggestions

- What do you say about bringing the timeline back? With the current version we can't push the end date but we can with the start date. What start date do you think would be better with the current game mechanism?

With the possibility of Alexander being the focus of the next EUR expansion, what about bringing the timeline back to before that? Persian Wars, etc?

Congrats on getting your own subforum, by the way!

With the possibility of Alexander being the focus of the next EUR expansion, what about bringing the timeline back to before that? Persian Wars, etc?

Congrats on getting your own subforum, by the way!

I'm trying to think a start date that is not boring and works with the current game mechanics. Achaemenids vs Greeks will be a huge pain in the ass as I don't see the current game mechanism make the Greeks playable. It's like Rhodes vs the Seleucids. Anyway, I hope the expansion (I really think it will come) will solve those problems so I think I can ignore that balance at least until everything else is done.

A guess, 609 BC (144 AVC), when the Neo-Assyrian Empire falls?

Thanks!

340 years before the start of play? Won't you need to add extensive historical information to every province and include a few more scenario bookmarks?

assyrian empire? that would make an awsome cool expansion :D

No assyrian empires, AFTER the neo-assyrian falls :p

340 years before the start of play? Won't you need to add extensive historical information to every province and include a few more scenario bookmarks?

Actually adding the countries is much more work than both of that combined. Bookmarks are piece of cake. The worse problem is the balancing and making a good technological development that spans for all the campaign time.

Last edited:
Also, here is my idea to change the National Ideas:

Military Ideas changes

Siege Train
Siege Time -50%

Militarized Society
Experience Decay -4.5% (it normally decays 5% per month)

Military Camps
Land Organisation +33%

Cataphracts
Cavalry Offensive +100%
Cavalry Defensive +100%

Level 0: Horse Lords, Professional Soldiers, Legionary Military System
Level 7: Martial Ethos, Naval Ethos, Tribal Recruitment
Level 14: Siege Train, Militarised Society
Level 21: Military Camps, Cataphracts

Economical Ideas

Naval Supremacy (was Naval Blockades)
Naval Organisation +33%

National Prestige
National Manpower Modifier +33%

Tariffs
Global Trade Income +50%

Improved Construction
Build Cost -33%

Regulated Markets
Global Population Growth +10%

Wood Industry (was Industry)
Global Ship Recruit Speed -33%

Bureaucratic Traditions
Maintenance Cost -50%

Tradition of Service
Starting Experience +20%

Level 0: Organized Recruitment, Tariffs, Wood Industry
Level 7: Tax Farming, Improved Construction, Regulated Markets
Level 14: Naval Supremacy, National Prestige
Level 21: Bureaucratic Traditions, Tradition of Service

Civic Ideas

Rule of Law
Corruption -75%

Demagogic Politics (was Populist Politics)
War Exaustion -0.031

Higher Duty
Loyalty Gain Chance -25%

Level 0: Civic Duty, Citizenship, Emancipation
Level 7: Diplomacy, Duplicity, Higher Duty
Level 14: Philosophies, Loyal Politics
Level 21: Demagogic Politics, Rule of Law

Religious Ideas

National Faith
Omen Power +25%

Divine Right
Omen Sucess Chance +25%

Religious State
Revolt Risk -3

Pantheons
Technology Cost -25%

Tolerance
Tyranny -0.5 (per year)

College of Pontifices
Omen Failure Penalty -75%

Philosophical Advances
Civilization Spread +50%

Level 0: National Faith, Deification, Tolerance
Level 7: National Oracle, Religious State, Divine Right
Level 14: College of Pontifices, Evangelical Faith
Level 21: Pantheons, Philosophical Advances

What do you think?

Last edited:
Oops I meant Tyranny, not Infamy, in Tolerance. Also I increased Loyal Politics to +0.3, Tax Farming to +15%, seduce cost to -33%

i still say, change indian religion to hinduism, cause southeast asia adopted hinduism before 1 B.C under influences from india and there fore hinduism must've excisted in india some time allready. and shintoism was the religion of japan, not a unified religion but it was still the religion of japan. and it would be better if you had confucianism as the religion of china so i sugggest that you change baghramist to hinduism, chinesefolk to confucaism and japanesefolk to shintoism. would make the game a little bit better for me :D

I like the changed ideas (well Global Population Growth +10% does perhaps seem a bit excessive...) but I do think there should be atleast one naval idea that's available from the start. It would seem very fitting for Carthage and probably some of the greek states.

I like the changed ideas (well Global Population Growth +10% does perhaps seem a bit excessive...) but I do think there should be atleast one naval idea that's available from the start. It would seem very fitting for Carthage and probably some of the greek states.

Yes, some need balancing, I'm proposing some values without knowing how that will influence the game. The Wood Industry one (ship contruction speed -33%) is available from start.

In the countries section you talk alot about "WC's". But I don't think WCs are in the spirit of Rome Universalis. I think it should be more about dominating your region than conquering all provinces from the Pacific to the Atlantic.

I think you should have some kind of modifier that makes generals and governors more likely to want to split off the larger your empire is, like what happened to the Mauryas and Seleucids. It would be more in the Rome:Universalis spirit to try to hold your vast empire together than to conquer even more.

Also, Japanese and Korean should be in the same culture group since the Japanese only migrated to Japan in the first millennium B.C. from ancient Korea.

Brahmanism, Jainism and Buddhism should be in a seperate group from the eastern religions.

also you're probably aware of this but ship names for Japan (and probably other eastern countries) are Greek and Roman names.

i still say, change indian religion to hinduism, cause southeast asia adopted hinduism before 1 B.C under influences from india and there fore hinduism must've excisted in india some time allready. and shintoism was the religion of japan, not a unified religion but it was still the religion of japan. and it would be better if you had confucianism as the religion of china so i sugggest that you change baghramist to hinduism, chinesefolk to confucaism and japanesefolk to shintoism. would make the game a little bit better for me :D

Chinese folk is better to represent the religion of the Chinese people, rather than the complex legal philosophies of Taoism and Confucianism.

Japanese Folk is probably a better name for a religion which was proto-Shinto, since the idea of a seperate Shinto religion didn't really develop until after the Japanese had extensive contact with Buddhist missionaries and mainland Chinese religions (Shinto comes from a Chinese root I think, like Chin-dao or something?)

Also, Japanese and Korean should be in the same culture group since the Japanese only migrated to Japan in the first millennium B.C. from ancient Korea.

Wouldn't the problem with that be that you can't keep their names etc seperate? Wa is more powerful than the Korean minors. Didn't have any problems subduing revolts, myself. Seems quite odd for the koreans to welcome japanese overlords, too.

Japanese Folk is probably a better name for a religion which was proto-Shinto, since the idea of a seperate Shinto religion didn't really develop until after the Japanese had extensive contact with Buddhist missionaries and mainland Chinese religions (Shinto comes from a Chinese root I think, like Chin-dao or something?)

Yeah, anything resembling proper Shintoism, rather than local tales, is WAY outside the timeframe.

Wouldn't the problem with that be that you can't keep their names etc seperate? Wa is more powerful than the Korean minors. Didn't have any problems subduing revolts, myself. Seems quite odd for the koreans to welcome japanese overlords, too.

Yeah, anything resembling proper Shintoism, rather than local tales, is WAY outside the timeframe.

Yeah I just realized that you can't have different names in the same culture group. Wouldn't really want a Korean named Fujiwara no Seimei or a Japanese/Yamato guy with a Korean name

But from what I see on wikipedia, the map says that Wa may just be the name of Kyushu so maybe Wa should only have Kyushu, since I don't think the ancient Japanese were anything more than warring clans at this point in time, since the Yamato are the first (and continuing to this day) proper rulers of the whole area that Wa has in game.

Last edited:
In the countries section you talk alot about "WC's". But I don't think WCs are in the spirit of Rome Universalis. I think it should be more about dominating your region than conquering all provinces from the Pacific to the Atlantic.

I think you should have some kind of modifier that makes generals and governors more likely to want to split off the larger your empire is, like what happened to the Mauryas and Seleucids. It would be more in the Rome:Universalis spirit to try to hold your vast empire together than to conquer even more.

Brahmanism, Jainism and Buddhism should be in a seperate group from the eastern religions.

also you're probably aware of this but ship names for Japan (and probably other eastern countries) are Greek and Roman names.

Yeah I'm aware of the ship names, all new countries have seleucid-like names yet.

I'll separate those religions, I just forgot about it earlier.

About the general things, that's balancing I didn't tackle yet.

As you realized, Japan and Korean are separated because of the names.

About Wa, I read somewhere that it controlled up to north Honshu? Or was that the Jayoi culture? I don't remember.

Sorry for this being outside what you created the Suggestion thread for, since it is about countries, but responding to you, so hopefully that's okay. :D

About Wa, I read somewhere that it controlled up to north Honshu? Or was that the Jayoi culture? I don't remember.

The basic information seems pretty vague on actual borders, but if one takes the wording on wikipedia literally it seems that the main power on Kyushu (Nakoku) was limited around it's capital in the Fukuoka area.

Perhaps it'd be more accurate to make Nakoku an independant state in Kyushu and create more minors as Japan hadn't really been united yet?

Whether or not the Yamatos was a further development of the Nakoku or if they grew out of their main area which would later on be their capital isn't really known, since the historical information is so poor from back then, but perhaps making the distinction would be good anyway to divide up the territory in atleast somewhat historical states? Instead of countries named after the province they control. ;)

Something along the lines of:

Nakoku
Yamataikoku (early Yamato)
Kibi

And then putting in a Shikoku, Izumo, Koshi and Kenu as others (with Kenu, Koshi and Izumo being noted among those still maintaining high autonomy all the way into the 6th century from Yamato rule).

suggestionjapan.png

Pink-encircled provinces are suggested additions. As, for example, Kibi and Izumo are both in the same provinces' area.

<3